Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

---===~~UASOM Class off 2011~~===---

Discussion in 'Allopathic Class Threads' started by JDovers, Apr 15, 2007.

1. JDovers

Pre-Medical
    We're not just pre-allo anymore, yo.

Questions to start with:

1) Has anyone made headway on the pre-matriculation checklist?
    2) For anyone who has done it, was the slide show really all we had to do for the diversity training?
    3) Anyone gotten a financial aid award?
    4) Where the heck are you guys living?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Baritonebass

Baritonebass Junior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Yeah I haven't Started on the checklist yet
    my financial aid requirements are complete but no award
    haven't checked the diversity thing yet
    I'm thinking of living in Homewood or Highland(friend from B-ham said it was nice)

Has any summited there stuff for grad school yet (MD/MPH folks) and when is the deadline

4. JDovers

Pre-Medical
    I'm MD/MPH. Not sure when the deadline is but I'm through the process---go ahead and get on it. It can move pretty slow and the MPH part of the application is really simply. They mostly want AMCAS info.

Let me know if you have any questions.

What campus assignment did you get?

5. Baritonebass

Resident [Any Field]
    T-Town

6. Proctor MD

Proctor MD UASOM Class of 2011

Medical Student
    1) I've turned in all the forms to Student Health, but still have to get the Two-Step TB Test and the Hep B Titer to be immunized up to required levels.
    2) I think the slideshow was all for Part I, and that's all the checklist said for us to do.
    3) I haven't. I got the letter saying I needed to turn in my Title IV Funds Authorization thing, and got it in on time, but no word since then.
    4) I'm in the process of looking for an apartment/house somewhere relatively close to campus, moving from within the city.

Also, I got assigned to the Birmingham Campus.

7. harne003

Medical Student
    Just did the online diversity training, but it doesn't seem that there is any record of me completing it. Is this done strictly on the honor system? Also, has any one been able to do the HIPAA stuff yet? I don't think it is available to complete yet.

I haven't done any of my health record stuff yet.

Any body heard anything on financial aid awards yet.

If you take the max amount of financial aid how much do they alot you for living expenses per month.

8. JDovers

Pre-Medical
    Harne,

I'm totally where you are. I can't do the hippa, and it seems that the diversity deal is just on the honor system.

I also have nothing on Financial Aid other than them saying I've turned in all my stuff. I think everyone is pretty much in the same boat on all of that.

It said in the Fin. Aid website that our budget was $27k, so I have no idea how that breaks down.

What campus have you been assigned to/where are you living? =)

9. Baritonebass

Resident [Any Field]
    A PDF i got of the web somewhere says:

year one
    tuition and fees : $16,539
    Room & Board: $10,879
    Books and supplies: $2,200
    Personal expenses: $1,834
    Transportation: $2,292
    Computer Access: $1,013

total budget: $35,800:thumbup:

10. JDovers

Pre-Medical
    uh oh. Is that in-state?

I wonder if I've been set up on an MPH budget instead of an MD one.

11. harne003

Medical Student

This sounds right. I thought we had approx 1500 per month total living expenses.

jdover,

I'm assigned to h'ville and i'm living at Lakeshore Ridge apts.

12. harne003

Medical Student

This sounds right. I thought we had approx 1500 per month total living expenses.

jdover,

13. harne003

Medical Student

jdover,

14. JDovers

Pre-Medical
    yeah, they totally had me on the wrong budget.

Thanks guys--wouldn't have caught it.

15. Proctor MD

Medical Student
    Yeah, you can't do the HIPAA until your BlazerID works, but it's really easy once you get your ID working. I'm not sure when they'll be up. I already have one, so I finished it, but it shouldn't be too much of a big deal.

16. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

17. Slickpkg

Slickpkg That's how I roll

Pre-Medical
    Hey future partners-in-crime (or misery depending on the day) -

Does anyone have any input/advice on what type of laptop would be good for school? Mac? No Mac? What do you think? And can you buy one through UAB at a discount? Inquiring minds want to know! :D

18. Slickpkg

Pre-Medical
    And does anyone know anything/have any opinions about tablets? Thanks.

19. XildUpNawth

XildUpNawth Member

Medical Student
    I apologize if this has been answered before, but do we have to do anything other than the FAFSA to get our award letter? I don't seen anything on BlazerNet. Any idea when we'll get award notifications?

20. JDovers

Pre-Medical
    Slick---

I go with the apple. While I don't get invited as many LAN-Parties that way, and all the computer geeks laugh at me, I still think it's the way to go. And yeah, we get a discount through UAB. I think the computer discount isn't so great, but the software discount is supposed to be really helpful.

The black macbooks are just beautiful.

Xwild--

You also had to turn in a Consent Form for being awarded. You can print it off the webpage where you check your fin. aid. But yeah, I haven't heard anything... but I'm apparently a complicated case (never to MD/MPH. Ever.)

~J

21. Slickpkg

Pre-Medical
    Thanks JD. Yeah, I checked out that black Macbook at the new Apple store in Bham (Summit) and it is pretty sweet. We'll see what the budget allows...

Oh and as far as aid goes, I went by the Fin Aid office at UAB to sign that Title IV form and ask a few questions. The woman I spoke with was surprisingly nice and she made it sound like that they were going to run the med students aid stuff in the next week or two. Don't quote me on that though. Have a great weekend everyone. :p

22. JDovers

Pre-Medical
    Question:

What is everyone doing about health insurance during medschool?

23. Proctor MD

Medical Student
    Well, since I'll be a student (again) in the fall, I'm going back on my parents' BCBS, and waiving the UAB Student VIVA plan to save an extra $1400 or so a year.

24. Proctor MD

Medical Student
    I'm leaning toward no Mac. It isn't because I don't realize the benefits of a Mac, and it isn't because I don't think the black Macbook is sexy, because it is. It's because I'm going to be doing word processing, powerpoint, and some minimal program functionality. And for that, I can get a $700 or less PC laptop from HP or Dell and get along just fine. But that's because I already have an awesome desktop. If the new laptop were going to be my end-all solution for all my computing needs, I'd be hard pressed not to get a black Mac.

25. Slickpkg

Pre-Medical
    Hey everyone -

I just checked BlazerNet and saw that they ran the FinAid stuff. I did not see anything on there that reflected the scholarship offer the Med School made. Is that separate? Does anyone know? I can call on Monday but I thought I would run it by my esteemed colleagues first.

Oh, and to continue the laptop discussion, I spoke to one of the guys in Medical Education Information Services. He said that all of their stuff is PC-based and their ability to help/support people with Macs is pretty limited. He said that if he were deciding he would go with a light (less than 7 lbs.) Windows-based laptop that has either Windows Vista or is Vista-ready. Obviously, you would also want a good Wireless card, lots of memory, etc. JD, you were correct about the software. Once we are enrolled, we can go to the bookstore and get all different kinds of software for cheap (Microsoft Works for $5-10, etc). There is a list of available software on line - I forget the web address off the top of my head. Anyway, he was pretty nice. It beats being routed to a call center in Bangladesh for tech support.

Think of me on Tuesday. Since my immunization records are MIA, I am going to Student Health to start getting pumped full of vaccines. Oy. When I told my kids that it was mommy's turn to get shots, they were high-fiving each other. :laugh: My smart-ass son said "Hey no big deal, shots don't hurt at all, right Mom?" (That would be the line of BS I give them when they are due for a shot or two. Screaming and recriminations ensue. Bribery too.) His next comment was "You're going to be in a world of hurt" to which my daughter added "Oh yeah!". I think I need to beat them more. ;)

So is anyone else feeling a little scared? Apprehensive? Doomed? I confess, I am getting a little nervous...

26. JDovers

Pre-Medical
    I don't think I could have laughed harder at this.

As for scholarships, I have no idea. But the Financial Aid guy Mark Martin is very, very responsive to e-mails. He's being a very patient man with all my financial aid mixups.

You've made me reconsider the mac with your new advice. Hmmm... god those black macbooks really are just sexy though. So torn.

I'm getting a little nervous, but I'm also developing a very "bring it" attitude with medschool. I think we can do this. I just hope they've figured out what they're going to teach us under this new system.

P.S. if you haven't checked out the class page there are new things posted!

27. hopeh7

hopeh7 New Member

Pre-Medical
    yo slick... about the scholarship info. I didn't find anything that specifically states the award and amount however; if you look at the cost of attendance for the 07-08 year you can see that it has been deducted from the tuition and fees. On blazer net go to the student resources tab, then click on financial aid awards. Then at the bottom of the page click on overall financial aid status, then click on cost of attendance. I talked to leann minn today and she said that the scholarship committee is meeting at the end of next week, so maybe after its official they will post it???? Good luck with the shots! Hope things are going well!

28. landand

landand Junior Member

Pre-Medical
    I have had m my BlazerID for a while now, but the last time I tried I still couldn't do the HIPAA training. How did you manage to do it?

29. JDovers

Pre-Medical
    Same here.

30. Proctor MD

Medical Student
    I'm currently volunteering for UAB in my AmeriCorps position and had to have a BlazerID to access files for work, so I've had mine for almost a year. I got the email to do the HIPAA training before I even got my interview, so I don't know if it was part of my volunteer training, or if it was emailed to me because I was a candidate for medical school. Either way, it accepted my BlazerID to complete it. The only thing I can think of is that maybe the HIPAA training module is on a secure server, and since we technically aren't students yet, we may not have access. I know I spoke with IT and they mentioned that some of the things we use BlazerIDs for, we wouldn't be able to access until we were cleared to enroll. It looks like the immunization database works though!

31. wcliffa

wcliffa New Member

Pre-Medical
    UAB health insurance seems pretty expensive for younger folks...probably b/c it covers maternity. You can definetly obtain cheaper insurance by visiting ehealthinsurance.com. At my business we have purchased group policies through the website for years. In addition, if your parents still have family plans most insurers will allow you to remain on their plan until you reach age 24 if you are a full time student. So, no need to pay VISTA for something you do not need or is TOO expensive. (For what it is worth!!!)

32. Proctor MD

Medical Student
    Okay, in case some of you haven't checked lately, the issue with HIPAA training was that it could only be done on campus, which is why those of us with existing BlazerIDs (who were ostensibly using UAB computers) could do it. The new link is posted on the Prematriculation Checklist page.

33. JDovers

Pre-Medical
    Thanks =)

Also, if you took they myers-brigg deal for our greenbook, I'm interested to see what other people's 'personality types' are.

I was ENTJ.

34. XildUpNawth

XildUpNawth Member

Medical Student
    I was INFJ. Apparently, this makes me a hyper-empathetic freak of nature. I guess it's better than being a sociopath. Look out learning community, here I come!

35. bubbletoes

Medical Student
    I was ENTJ as well

36. wcliffa

wcliffa New Member

Pre-Medical
    I don't think the class has a facebook page. I just set one up. Feel free to make any changes. UAB Med 2011 :hardy:

37. speciled15

speciled15 Junior Member

Medical Student
    there's a facebook group, uasom class of 2011

38. Proctor MD

Medical Student
    I'm XSTJ, where X is about equally E/I, but I'm a little more on the E side.

39. Baritonebass

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm ENTJ (I see a trend)

40. JDovers

Pre-Medical
    Woah. Supposed to be like 2% of the population, right? =)

When are you guys expecting your financial aid to distribute?

41. Proctor MD

Medical Student
    Well, Stafford disburses on September 1 and February 1 for each semester, I think. I've got some other stuff that I need to submit; I imagine it will disburse as soon as the checks clear and whatnot.

As far as scholarships, I don't know if they'll be credited to our account, or reconciled against tuition, but the first semester's tuition isn't due until September 1, again I think.

42. XildUpNawth

XildUpNawth Member

Medical Student
    So what do we live on from July 25-September 1?

43. husky0684

has anyone not received their campus assignment yet? Just wondering if I am the only one in this predicament.

44. Proctor MD

Medical Student
    Yeah, I was wondering that myself. I have creatively worked out a survival strategy (which may or may not include textbooks) for the interim period between my job ending (July 28) and loans disbursing (Sept 1) that involves plasma donation, lawn-mowing, and brokering used furniture deals or something equally as creative/desperate/boring. I'm also wondering what happens second semester as the due date for tuition is Jan 1 and the loan disbursement date is February 1. This could possibly be different because UASOM is a direct lender for the first time this year. That may mean that the funds are already available. I'm going to call tomorrow and try to get an idea of whether or not that's true, because at this point, it's just conjecture. I'll let everyone know what (if anything) I figure out.

45. Proctor MD

Medical Student
    Okay, here's the deal.

September 1 and February 1 are the standard Stafford disbursement dates , but because we're MS1 and do the whole early start thing, disbursement will be within a week of the first day of class. So we're looking at a disbursement date of August 1 or thereabout.

Hope this helps!

46. Slickpkg

Pre-Medical
    Well, I ended up being an ENFJ. The descriptions were actually pretty close to describing me, surprisingly enough (I tend to be a little suspicious of these things). Anyhoo, me and my close pal Oprah are carrying the banner flag for the ENFJs of the world. When my adorable husband heard about Oprah and me sharing the letters, he made some sarcastic comment about me missing the part of the personality type that made a boatload of cash, unlike Ms. O (and an additional comment about my propensity to spend instead, or something like that). I told him in my most loving voice to shut his piehole.

So the good news about my type is that "physician" was listed as a good career choice for me. Well thank God for that! What the heck was I going to do if it said circus performer or mime or something? Big sigh of relief there.

On a completely different note, I managed to scrounge up my immunization records (Woo hoo!). So instead of about 20 or so shots, I just had to get 5. I did have to get a tetanus and MMR booster. Those bad boys hurt! Like, "I think I just got stung by a 5 lb wasp in my arm" hurt. But I am finished with the shots (aside from 2 more Hep B) and the Student Health stuff, so I've got that going for me.

OK, forgive me for rambling. I will stop now. I need to think of something clever to put in my Facebook entry and am having a hard time doing so. Generally, that which is unique about me is also embarrassing. A dilemna. ;)

47. XildUpNawth

XildUpNawth Member

Medical Student
    Thank you so much for finding this out and sharing! It's very helpful.

48. CaptainWC

Medical Student
    I am still waiting, It just won't feel right until I get that frickin letter in the mail. I thought they were going to let us know after may 15 what our campus assignments are???!!! oh well it gives me something to look forward to in my mailbox everyday.

49. Natural Light

Natural Light Junior Member

Medical Student
    I wound up as an INFJ. It sounds pretty close, "Counselor". I got my degree in Psychology and work for a mental health agency.
    As far as validity goes...it's interesting, but I'm not considering it for a possible tattoo.

50. ReblRose

ReblRose Junior Member

I am not a med student yet, but I work at UAB and wanted to extend my congrats to you all!!! I will be applying in the near future. I am curious to see how you all like the new cirriculum that is being implemented................ if you all dont mind, I would love to check in on you from time to time!

Again, congrats and enjoy this last few weeks of freedom!!

51. CaptainWC

Medical Student
    FYI....I checked the status on my secondary application this morning and I FINALLY got my campus assignment!!! BIRMINGHAM!!! yay for 4 more years in the salty ham!:thumbup:

52. Auburnpremed

Auburnpremed New Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey guys. Congrats to all of you for being accepted to UASOM. I am currently on the waitlist, and I was wondering if any of you had any ideas as to how many people are currently planning on matriculating this fall.