---===~~UASOM Class off 2011~~===---

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys... to those of you who did the HIPAA training off campus... the link on the prematriculation checklist sends me to the WEB CT log in page... I log in with my blazerID and it works... BUT, it shows that I have no courses to take and no links to click... so where exactly is this HIPAA training course then? Thanks!:)

Members don't see this ad.

It should just be on the page after you log in to WebCT. Mine was, I didn't have to do anything else to find. That's strange yours isn't.

I just filled out the FAFSA, I just got in off the alternate list, and I don't really understand what the Estimated Family Contribution number is. Can anyone help??

Members don't see this ad :)
the EFC is just that---it's the amount that the govn't says that you/your family should be able to kick in towards your education per year.

The school is supposed to make up the difference with loans, grants, scholarships, etc.

Now I'm not 100% sure but I do think that for professional school, your EFC is basically meaningless. Everyone is given loans for the full living amount and then YOU decide if you want to accept all of these loans or not.

So, if your family is going to pitch in $10k a year, you probably won't accept the full $40k. If you're financially dead to your family after putting them through the ringer in college for four years, then you'll probably want to take any loans they'll give you.

Hope that helps.

-----

As for the HIPPA---there are two different links on the webpage. one to be used if you are ON campus the other to be used if you are OFF campus. Make sure you're using the right one, because I had the same problem and I wasn't using the correct link.

And slick---if you still read this, what's with the skimpy bio on our greenbook? I wanted interesting facts.

Could anyone fill me in on how many bio entries there are? That would give me a good inclination as to how much of the class has filled up already. Thanks

Could anyone fill me in on how many bio entries there are? That would give me a good inclination as to how much of the class has filled up already. Thanks

hi, Just for you I went and counted the students that filled out their biogrophy and so far it is a total of 148 students. however, there are about 225 profiles there. So I don't know how could that be, i thought the class was only foR 176. SO maybe they are counting on 50 students not showing up the first day of class. I hope this helps ,and good luck to you.

sawsan

hi, Just for you I went and counted the students that filled out their biogrophy and so far it is a total of 148 students. however, there are about 225 profiles there. So I don't know how could that be, i thought the class was only foR 176. SO maybe they are counting on 50 students not showing up the first day of class. I hope this helps ,and good luck to you.

sawsan

Thanks for the info, don't think my chances are good anymore.

Thanks for the info, don't think my chances are good anymore.

Sorry to hear that, and good luck to you. You never know, don't give up hope until you get that dreadful rejection letter. and if not, there is always next year.

Sorry to hear that, and good luck to you. You never know, don't give up hope until you get that dreadful rejection letter. and if not, there is always next year.

I was thinking that maybe the 148 profiles that have been filled out are for the students that are attending for sure, and the difference b/w the 148 and 225 is students that have been accepted but are not attending for sure. If that's the case, then my chances for upper third of the waitlist would be pretty good. Oh well, I'll know soon enough. Thanks for counting those biographies for me.

I was thinking that maybe the 148 profiles that have been filled out are for the students that are attending for sure, and the difference b/w the 148 and 225 is students that have been accepted but are not attending for sure. If that's the case, then my chances for upper third of the waitlist would be pretty good. Oh well, I'll know soon enough. Thanks for counting those biographies for me.

No problem :)

I was trying to check and see if I am cleared for class as far as immunizations, but everytime I use the link on the prematriculation check list page it tells me I'm not in the system yet. Has anyone been able to check their status on there?

I was trying to check and see if I am cleared for class as far as immunizations, but everytime I use the link on the prematriculation check list page it tells me I'm not in the system yet. Has anyone been able to check their status on there?

I just checked my clearance today through the link on the check list and it worked. If it's been less than a week since you submitted your student health info, that may be the reason why you're not in the system. I know that's what happened to me when I first tried to check my status. Try giving the student health office a call; they're pretty nice and helpful.

Alright, thanks I'll give them a call. Also, I was wondering if anyone knows if spouses are invited to the banquet tomorrow night at the Civil Rights Institute?

I got a question for everyone who's attended orientation: Did all 176 people show up? In other words, I'm just wondering if any miracles could happen b/w now and Monday.

i heard one person did not show but they already filled the spot. someone arrived in town today to fill it (from unofficial sources). sorry

don't know if any of you current first years still check this,

but i thought i'd ask how you guys like the new curriculum so far? what's your schedule like on a normal day?

just curious if anyone had any thoughts/experiences they'd like to share. thanks.

I know this way late for the previous poster's question, but it may help some people.

First of all, it's hard to evaluate our new curriculum because it's the only one most of us have ever known.

The positives:
-It's cool learning the anatomy, physiology, and pathology all within a month or so for each organ system. I can't imagine learning all of anatomy the first month and be expected to apply that knowledge to pathology months and months down the road. So the integrated, organ-based system works well.
-They're giving us a review course right before Step 1 that'll bring back the best teachers from our first two years to make sure we do well.
-There is time (3 months) set aside for a scholarly research project in the curriculum. So all of us are virtually guaranteed at least one publication without having to use our vacation time to do it (although many of us still do).

The negatives (hopefully many of these will be better now that the first year is over):
-Organizationally, the entire thing is a disaster. Even something as simple as making sure that a required small group session doesn't coincide with another required school function hasn't been a guarantee (this did get better as the year progressed).
-More importantly, though, the organization of the modules and lectures within the modules has been laughable at times. We had pathology before we had anatomy and physiology. Lecturers were either given little direction or ignored the direction they were given, because many of them had no idea where their lectures fell in the curriculum. So lots of lecturers (especially pathologists) assumed we had the same level of knowledge as the students they had been lecturing to for years, even though those students were second years who had completed courses in anatomy and physiology. As you can imagine, none of us would have made it without wikipedia.
-We have an Audience Response System that tracks our daily attendance. This is part of our grade. It is a small part, and they give you a 20% buffer for sick days and such. But still, being forced to go to class has been punitive for many of us. Reading the transcripts after they've been edited and organized is a much more efficient way to learn the material for most people. This was the first year more than a handful of students have shown up to class, so many of the lecturers are accustomed (and more suited) to read straight from the powerpoint and basically dictate a script. We had several lecturers turn their backs on the room of 175 people, look at the powerpoint slide the entire time, and never once look back at us until they were finished. Most of them simply aren't dynamic speakers.
-So we have to go to class every day from 10-3. We have at least two hours of Introduction to Clinical Medicine every week. We have at least two hours of small group activity every week. It takes time to prepare for these meetings, and we also have assignments due once in a while like papers and such. I'd say a very safe estimate of obligated time for school that excludes studying (and therefore is a colossal waste of time for most of us), not counting the hour we get for lunch, is 30 hours/week on average. They didn't tell me about the new required attendance policy when I got in, and I unfortunately got a place pretty far from school. The commute sucked all year. I digress.
-After several good modules throughout the year, we ended with a pretty bad one. Our Muscoloskeletal/Skin module was better because the module director decided he would do away with the required attendance. But most of the lecturers sucked horrendously. The year ended with an open book final that was given to us to work on over the weekend, and then we had to submit our answers before the weekend was over. This counted for something like 40% of our grade for the module (an entire month of medschool). They had to make it open book or lots of us would've failed. So they acquiesced. That's how little we felt we learned, and from previous smaller exams, they agreed, hence the open book final. I doubt too many people have a final counting 40% be made open book on their way to a prestigious M.D.

Overall, if you're an in-state resident, UASOM obviously still makes lots of sense. B'ham isn't a bad city, although neither is Mobile I guess. We don't do as well on the boards as South, but there are more research opportunities and such here in Birmingham if you're interested in that sort of thing. Also the cooler cases end up in Birmingham, so looking forward to rotations that could have an impact on how much you learn. If you're an out-of-state resident, I'm not sure why you'd pick UASOM over other similar schools unless you had some tie to the university or city. I'd give the curriculum change at least another year to work out the kinks. If you can get in here, chances are you got accepted to other decent places. I'd look at those. Although this is total hearsay, UASOM is taking way more people off of the waiting list this year than last. Last year we never got out of the first tier of waitlisters, accepting only 8 or so. This year we're accepting third tier waitlisters. Again, all of this is hearsay. But if it's true, and I tend to believe it, it means that we're accepting lots of people who are choosing other places. I know these things can change yearly, and it's the type of stuff that keeps admissions people worried. But I think it's a reflection on people hearing us complain about the way the new curriculum has been implemented, not wanting daily attendance to help determine class rank, not wanting lots of wasted time in school that could've been used getting ready for boards, and choosing to go other places. But again, it has its positives and negatives, and UAB is still a respected name offering a good education that can open up as many doors as you're willing to enter. And there are some talented, dedicated people in place to help clean up this mess. My only concern is that many of them have been involved from the start, and the newbies are replacing people who were equally talented and dedicated. So we'll see.

I don't know if anyone looks at this thread anymore. So I have a situation I thought someone might be able to shed some light on. Sorry this might be long.

I am currently a first year student at Loma Linda University. I was accepted to UAB but because of a number of reasons (mostly because I am an idiot) I decided to go to loma linda. This was probably one of the worst decisions I have ever made. Why did I choose loma linda? I grew up as an adventist but have recently left the church (more reasons than I care to list) but most of my friends and some of my family went there and I thought it would be helpful to have the guidance of 2nd and 3rd year students and be in a familiar system (I went to an adventist college for undergrad).
In anycase, I hate loma linda and want to look into transferring to UAB. From what I have read on the UAB website it looks like they have a system set up where I would apply and interview again, but everything I have read about transferring in medschool is that it is unlikely to happen and is usually due to a spouse moving or terminal illness. Well, my reasons are that I am financially burdened by living in California and attending loma linda (I know everyone has loans for med school but LLU is ridiculously expensive and the price of living is outrageous). I want to move back to the south to be closer to my family (they live in Huntsville) and my granddad who isn't terminally ill but is getting old and declining mentally, so I would like to be around him as much as possible. Furthermore, UAB is a far superior school when it comes to name recognition and getting into competitive residencies (probably wouldn't list this on an application but it is a compelling personal reason).

I guess I am just wondering if anyone can shed any light on the situation for me, are there any open seats, have you heard of other people doing this, who is the best person to get information from, etc. Anything would be helpful.

I don't know how much academic standing matters but I am in the top 15% of my class and while I know there is no way to know how I will do on step 1 I am shooting for at least on standard dev.

Sorry this is long but I am stressing out.