UBC Admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jasonb2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, :)
this is my first time posting a thread on these forums.
I'm a high school student who wants to apply to UBC's pharmacy programs (pre-pharmacy or pharmacy), but I don't know which one is more suitable for my current standards.

My current courses/grades are:
English 12 80%
Math 12 95%
Biology 12 90%
Chemistry 12 90%
Physics 12 90%
Law 12 90%
Mandarin 12 86%
Astronomy 11 90%

I have also completed:
Art 11
Accounting 11

I'm the president of an anime club in school, and have volunteered over 120hours (Big Brothers). However, I have withdrawn 3 courses on VLN and was wondering if that'll affect my overall academic appearances.
Would I make it in to a pharmacy program within UBC with these marks?

Thank you so much for your assistances. :)

Members don't see this ad.

There is no "pre-pharmacy". You'll have to do at least one year of university/college level pre-requisites before you can apply to UBC's pharmacy program.

http://www.pharmacy.ubc.ca/

EDIT: and yes, your grades are good, but irrelevant. Admission to the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences (aka the pharmacy program) is based on your university/college level pre-requisites. As long as you can keep up the good work at the university/college level, you'll have a good shot.

There is no "pre-pharmacy". You'll have to do at least one year of university/college level pre-requisites before you can apply to UBC's pharmacy program.

http://www.pharmacy.ubc.ca/

EDIT: and yes, your grades are good, but irrelevant. Admission to the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences (aka the pharmacy program) is based on your university/college level pre-requisites. As long as you can keep up the good work at the university/college level, you'll have a good shot.

Thank you so much for your reply!

By one year of university/college level pre-requisites, does that mean it can be any subject? Also, is http://www.calendar.ubc.ca/Okanagan/index.cfm?tree=18,282,959,0
relevant in any way to the UBC's (main campus) pharmacy program? Sorry for being obvious to these subjects and thank you for your assistance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for your reply!

By one year of university/college level pre-requisites, does that mean it can be any subject? Also, is http://www.calendar.ubc.ca/Okanagan/index.cfm?tree=18,282,959,0
relevant in any way to the UBC's (main campus) pharmacy program? Sorry for being obvious to these subjects and thank you for your assistance.

The courses that you must take to be eligible to apply to the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences are the ones listed in your link. I'm not sure why UBC Okanagan labels them as "pre-pharmacy" since they are not specific to pharmacy, they are just general first year sciences courses. But either way you have to complete them before you can apply to pharmacy. The UBC Okanagan courses should be the equivalent to those offered at UBC Vancouver that are required for the pharmacy program.

The courses that you must take to be eligible to apply to the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences are the ones listed in your link. I'm not sure why UBC Okanagan labels them as "pre-pharmacy" since they are not specific to pharmacy, they are just general first year sciences courses. But either way you have to complete them before you can apply to pharmacy. The UBC Okanagan courses should be the equivalent to those offered at UBC Vancouver that are required for the pharmacy program.

Thank you so much -everything is clear now!
So to summarize the eligibility to UBC's Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, I need a course equivalent to first-year science (in the link). The Okanagan "pre-pharmacy" is also eligible for the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences, but is the content weaker than a first-year science in the main campus?

Have a fantastic day.

Last edited:

Last edited:
Yikes SDN ate my comment. I'll try one more time:

The prerequisite courses offered at UBC Okanagan are equivalent* to those offered at UBC Vancouver. I'm not sure where you are getting the impression that the UBC Okanagan courses are "weaker" than those offered at UBC Vancouver.

Just to be perfectly clear: before you can apply to the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences BSc Pharm program, you must complete at least one year of university/college level studies, and the prerequisite courses at UBC Okanagan or UBC Vancouver, or equivalent/transferable courses at any university or college. While you are taking these pre-requisite, you will not be in a "pre-pharmacy" program. You will be a first year science student. UBC Okanagan labelling these courses as "pre-pharmacy" is misleading and confusing.

I suggest you talk to your high school guidance counsellor regarding the process of applying to UBC for first year science. I also suggest you refer to the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences website if you wish to apply to the BSc pharmacy program (ie don't just rely on the UBC calendar). http://www.pharmacy.ubc.ca/

*equivalent, but the content may not be exactly the same

ugh what's going on with SDN today? keeps eating my posts!

Does seem buggy today, huh? Are you on Firefox or IE? Or something else?

Safari. It weird, sometimes my posts are displayed, sometimes not.