UBC Pharmacy 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What do you guys think is better? Taking BIOL 201 and BIOC 302 together or just BIOC 300 next year?
My 2009 spring Biol 201 and summer Bioc 302 classes had averages of 77% and 70%, respectively. Whereas the 2008 Bioc 300 course had an average of 70%

Members don't see this ad.

It's said that most PHAR electives are restricted to higher year students, but I was wondering if there are any on the electives list that I could take in the summer after 1st year?

It's said that most PHAR electives are restricted to higher year students, but I was wondering if there are any on the electives list that I could take in the summer after 1st year?

all of the actual PHAR elective courses are restricted to third and fourth years only unless you get special approval from the instructor I believe. Best off to take one of the other "pharmacy approved" electives such as FNH, microbiology, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
My tuition nearly doubled comparing to last year!! The cost of each course increased by like 200 dollars... I wonder if it'll be different in the summer

My tuition nearly doubled comparing to last year!! The cost of each course increased by like 200 dollars... I wonder if it'll be different in the summer

Unfortunately not. Even in non-PHAR courses, even in the summer, as a pharmacy student you automatically pay more per credit than the person sitting next to you.

One more reason to do required courses and electives before you start the pharmacy program, it's cheaper!!!

http://www.students.ubc.ca/tuitionconsultation/proposal.cfm?page=ubcvdomestic&view=base

Base undergraduate $147.65 per credit

Pharmaceutical Sciences $217.68 per credit

Commerce pays about 1$ more per credit

I have a question for everyone who got accepted, what strategies did you use in the interview? did you give long detailed answers or short concise ones? did you answer truthfully or with creative answers or with the cliche expected answers?? were you completely formal or did you try to display personality?? I'm just trying to figure out what they're looking for.

Hi guys,

I am interested in applying for UBC pharmacy this coming year; I'll be doing my first year here in Ontario. I was just wondering whether they accept many people outside province!?! Also is there anyway to substitute the grade 12 english for the required english, or it has to be university course?

Um...I think that UBC science lets you retake courses if you go in and talk to them personally, and I think you have to sign a statement saying that you know that you are not extra credits for the other courses (for example taking Bio 112 twice does not equal 6 credits of Bio 112). But I don't know for certain, this is just what I heard from a friend that is also planning to retake a course so she has a better chance of getting into pharmacy.
I had to do something like that in the beginning of first year, because I registered for ApSci, so we didn't get credit for chem 111/113 or chem 121/123, so they wouldn't let me register on ssc. But I called them and they put me in after I signed a statement stating that I knew what I was doing, and I wouldn't like...sue UBC for not advising me well.
But still, I'm not 100% sure about the situation that you are taking about, so I would call them and make sure.

Oh, ps. What teacher did you have for the courses you want to retake? Because there are definately some teachers that you sure avoid at all cost, so yeah...if you tell me, maybe I can suggest a teacher?

Hi!
i was just wondering, this statement, how did u get this statement? Did you contact the science faculty dean? Was there a specific person you have to contact in order to sign this statement? I wanted to retake a course too :(

For anyone who already got their immunization done, for hep B, did you guys get a prescription and took it to a pharmacy? I thought i was like a shot.. also, cuz i didnt get an immunization and it says i need to get a full vaccination, do i have to get 3 separate doses?

I don't think you have to get a prescription, I got mine done when I was in elementary school. I think you can just go to a walk in clinic and ask to get the shot.

For anyone who already got their immunization done, for hep B, did you guys get a prescription and took it to a pharmacy? I thought i was like a shot.. also, cuz i didnt get an immunization and it says i need to get a full vaccination, do i have to get 3 separate doses?

Most people who grew up in BC would have gotten the Hep B vaccine in elementary school. If you're not sure if you were vaccinated as a child, you can check your antibody titer (go to the doctor and get a blood test requisition, then go to a lab...UBC student health service can do this for you too). If you weren't vaccinated, the doctor can write you an Rx for the vaccine, which is filled at the pharmacy, then you take the vaccine backed to your doctor's office for administration (although soon, pharmacists will be able to administer vaccines!!!) If I'm not mistaken, you can also buy the vaccine at a pharmacy without an Rx.

As someone else has mentioned, you might be able to get it at a clinic?

But unless you are absolutely sure you weren't previously vaccinated, the doctor will probably order a blood test.

Hi!
i was just wondering, this statement, how did u get this statement? Did you contact the science faculty dean? Was there a specific person you have to contact in order to sign this statement? I wanted to retake a course too :(

I didn't personally contact the Science Faculty Dean for the information about retaking courses, which is why I can't guarentee 100%, however, that's what one of my friends told me they told her when I asked her how she was planning to improve her marks.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi

does anyone know what U of T SG or SC english courses are equivalent to UBC?

Because U of T SG only has a 1 semester composition and all the rest are literature courses that are 2 semesters longs :S

Thanks

UBC pharm is pretty laxed about what you can take for english. Any one year long english first year class should be ok. Because for the UBC kids applying, they basically told us that as long as we had 2 semesters of english, it was ok. But with that said, do call to make sure.

I am going to be an applicant for next year cycle, and for the application, are there any questions to answer (for example, why pharmacy?, writing about experiences, etc.)? or am I going to be writing a personal statement? do I send a resume too?

Last edited by a moderator:
You write two 500 word essay when you are doing your application. You don't have to send a resume, because you are suppose to write what you did in the 'fill in the blank' resume that they put online. For our year, the questions where, why pharm? and who was a role model?

Does the role model have to be a pharmacist?

UBCmicrobi, what prompts did you get during your year?
I don't think you have to write about a pharmacist, I wrote about my mom. LMAO.

UBCmicrobi, what prompts did you get during your year?
I don't think you have to write about a pharmacist, I wrote about my mom. LMAO.

We had a "personal statement"

Briefly tell us about yourself (500 words or less)

Describe your reasons for applying to the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences. Be specific about why you are interested in pharmacy, and why you feel you would be successful in our program. (500 words or less)

Did you guys have this Q too?

Pretty non-specific, which for me was a good thing. I can't imagine writing about a "role model", 'cause quite frankly I don't have one, not even someone I "look up to" or anything. It would have been very difficult for me to write about that and would have made the application process a whole lot more stressful for me. A lot of students don't have someone who inspires them and supports them in their academic goals...a lot of us do it completely on our own!

Fungikid, I don't think the "role model" has to be a pharmacist, because I'm sure they realize that not everyone has pharm experience.

hey Guys, I'm pretty desperate right now because my gpa is less than 65(63%-64%)..I don't even have the courage to apply ...What I should do? Should I just give a try?? I think I would never get into pharmacy for I have a very low first year gpa. I know that you can boost up your gpa by retaking courses or taking some pharmacy courses, but I took my 1st year courses at UBC and then transfered to SFU. Both methods won't work for me(SFU doesn't have atonmy or physiology,and some of the 1st yr bio courses are not equivalent to UBC's) Sigh.....I wasted 50bucks to buy this PCAT book, but I don't think I have any chance to take it because of my low gpa......SAD~

Why would you transfer to SFU if you wanted to do pharmacy at UBC? Especially since you started at UBC? Anyways....that is besides the point. What did you get on your PCAT? You might want to take that first before you give up. Also...I would go ask pharmacy about what you should do to raise your GPA...most likely only retake the courses you have done bad in, like...50% in. Um..besides that, if you have a good enough LOR and EC and PCAT, even with your GPA, you should be able to get an interview. Just make sure to rock the interview.

hey Guys, I'm pretty desperate right now because my gpa is less than 65(63%-64%)..I don't even have the courage to apply ...What I should do? Should I just give a try?? I think I would never get into pharmacy for I have a very low first year gpa. I know that you can boost up your gpa by retaking courses or taking some pharmacy courses, but I took my 1st year courses at UBC and then transfered to SFU. Both methods won't work for me(SFU doesn't have atonmy or physiology,and some of the 1st yr bio courses are not equivalent to UBC's) Sigh.....I wasted 50bucks to buy this PCAT book, but I don't think I have any chance to take it because of my low gpa......SAD~

your first year mark is pretty low, but it doesn't mean you have lost all chances of getting into pharmacy. i have actually come close to failing a few of my courses (50-60% range) and thought i would never get in. i think as long as you try to achieve better grades in your higher courses and have a good resume/personal statement/good PCAT, you'll still get a chance at an interview at least. don't give up because you had one bad year, it definitely doesn't define your academic career especially if this is what you want to get into.

Does the role model have to be a pharmacist?

oops, i should have added this in my other post but for my role model i wrote about my dad. lol, pretty corny stuff but i wrote what i felt and i guess it worked.

who else is getting excited to start pharmacy in a week and a half??

I totally can't wait. LOL. But I'm also really nervous. How is everyone else doing? How many people are going to be living on dorm? In particular totem?

LOL party dorm Totemmmm... you'll have fun... maybe more than you'd want/like.... like daily/weekly middle-of-night fire alarms :D

I looked through the entire thread, and I'm still pretty confused about the admission average.

I'm in Quebec, so I have one less year of high school, a 2-year CEGEP ("Collége") science diploma, and 3 year BSc in Biochemistry from a Quebec university. I'm not really sure what courses would be factored into the admission average.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated, or if not, the name of the person in the department who would best be able to answer this question.

Thanks in advance!

You can email an advisor at [email protected]. I'm not sure if first year university courses would count as your first or second year of CEGEP or your first year of actual university. They would probably be able to help you out though.

I want to thank in advance, anyone who takes the time to read about current situation, I really appreciate any help that I can get :)

Hey guys dont know how much people are still reading these forums, but I thought id might as well give it a shot. As you all know classes have just started rolling for all of us, and I want to give a little background on my current situation and see if any of u have some suggestions.

Ill start out with saying that I go to UBCO in Kelowna. I came here for my first year and finished all my pre-pharmacy courses with an overall average from both semesters at 78%. (not the greatest, but not the worst either i suppose). My ultimate goal is clearly to get into the pharmacy program at UBC Van (which is actually where I live [South Surrey for those of you who know the area]). Now unfortunately i was a little misguided with course selection this year, and was planning to take a management program, while studying for my PCAT that I plan to take in January. Unfortunately I've come to the realization that is was a little bit silly to being doing this, and quickly tried to change to Microbiology, which I'va always had a small interest in. Another reason I needed/wanted to switch programs was because I would like to be attending UBC Van, either by 2nd semester (on special permission from the Dean), or by next year. Unfortunately all the Micro Bio courses were full, and the only other BSC program I could get into was Economics -_-. Lame, I know... But if all goes well, I plan to take my PCAT exam and have myself transfered down to Vancouver for further schooling. Now the only the problem here is that Im a little upset about my courses. I really dont see myself going into economics if I come down to Vancouver, and so I would rather be getting into Science courses again.

Now for my questions :p . In the event that I do transfer down to Vancouver for 2nd semester; should I continue taking Economics courses until next year, and then commence my pharmacy courses, or should I instead begin to take some courses in the pharmacy program, that arent actually pharmacy courses (ie. Anat 390/391, Chem 233/235, Micb 202, Stat 203)? I see two issues with the latter choice. The first being I will be taking some first semester courses in my second semester, and hence offsetting my semester organization as far as pre-reqs, and follow-up courses go (ie. taking Anat 390 2nd semester [which really should be 1st semester course]). The other issue that I see with this choice is that most of these courses are already full, or some of them are not offered in 2nd semester, which clearly presents a not-so-kind problem.

Really my issue is that I dont want to be wasting a year of school taking Econ, if its not gunna be something for me in the future, I would rather instead get down to Vancouver and start taking some pharm courses to get a jump start on pharmacy.

Another clear and present issue is that of getting into the pharmacy program in the first place, which as most of yo on this forum thread know; is no easy task. I believe my first year average was not too bad (saw a few people posting that they had close to the same % and got interviews), as well as I believe that i can score somewhere in the 70% range on the PCAT (which I also saw some people had, which also got them an interview). Something that does scare me is that alot of you guys talk about shadowing a pharmacist, or volunteered as pharm-techs for a year or two (correct me if that statement is wrong). I have not done anything of the such in terms of working in a pharmacy as my life has been fairly busy in the past ( other extra-curriculars, such as sports, cadets etc.). I believe I have a strong personality and other attributes about me that would be strong for the application, such as my outgoing personality, and my long list of sports achievements and other extra-curricular activities that I have done over the many years of my life. I dont know if the pharmacy volunteer portion is extremely important or not, but Im sure it does help a fair amount. I am of course scared that I wont make it into Pharmacy, and then be stuck with another course selection predicament. Of course if I dont know make it into pharmacy, which i know there is a high possibility that I may not, then I can still take that pharmacy courses (Anat, Chem, Micb, Stat etc.) over the next year and reapply at the end of it, and hope to make it that time. Idealy of course I would like to be accepted for Fall 2010, and have either completed some pharm courses by then, or be commencing them immediately that school year. This brings me back to the question of continuing with Econ, or taking the Pharm courses, if the option presents itself to me. And as mentioned before, alot of the pharm courses are full or arent offered in 2nd semester, and as I know alot of students may drop from them, or a new block may even open for 2nd semester, the chances of me getting into most of them will be fairly slim.

I would love to hear thoughts or comments on what you have to say about my current situation and anything that may aid me in my future plans.

Thanks again for taking the time to listen to my story, and I appreciate any input that any of you may have :)

If anyone in Canada is interested in Dr Colins PCAT study guide please pm me, I am located in BC.

I want to thank in advance, anyone who takes the time to read about current situation, I really appreciate any help that I can get :)
Really my issue is that I dont want to be wasting a year of school taking Econ, if its not gunna be something for me in the future, I would rather instead get down to Vancouver and start taking some pharm courses to get a jump start on pharmacy.
Thanks again for taking the time to listen to my story, and I appreciate any input that any of you may have :)

I'm not familiar with the way UBC does inter-university transfers but i would recommend that Basically Other schools maybe an option for u if you don't like the program your in and wanna get closer to Vancouver, Transferring isn't that difficult to SFU, kwantlen, UFV, langara and other such places maybe even UVIC??. they all offer science courses that are applicable to pharmacy such as o-chem biochem and whatnot without too much red tape to get into them; and then if god forbids u don't get into pharmacy after ur second year u can apply back to ubc Vancouver as a transfer student into whatever sci program that interests you. Just a thought.

Hey guys,
Just wondering. Is it possible to retake some of my first year courses at another college? UBC Sci does not let you retake courses. So, I'm thinking of retaking them at Langara or Capillano, etc.
Thanks in advance.

Hey, quick question about how they calculate the admission averages. Do they also take into account any pharmacy approved courses like bio 334 or micb 302 in the calculations?

Thanks

Hey, quick question about how they calculate the admission averages. Do they also take into account any pharmacy approved courses like bio 334 or micb 302 in the calculations?

Thanks

Yes they will count towards your admission average, as well as any other courses that count towards a Bsc Pharm degree that you may have taken previously such as Organic Chem, Microbiology, Statistics, etc.

Im wondering.. im at UFV right now and planning to apply for 2010.. its my first year and my grades arent so good right now.. but I might be able to pull it up to an 80.. say.. I dont pull it up.. They count all prereq courses right? (ex calc 1 and calc 2) averages. so if i do bad 1st semester, i have a 2nd semester to work my ass off and get a high cumulative avg? correct? will i still be eligible for 2010, or do i have to apply for 2011?

Hi UBC pharmacy interested people,I need some advice please.I am a York university student in Toronto but my family is moving to BC . I'm planning to take some courses online in a BC school to lighten my course load in pharmacy school.Would you suggest any school,I mean from the point of credibility.I have also contacted BCCAT .
I have taken 2 years biol courses at York and now I'm looking at taking more courses like anatomy,physiol....(I have a BA and waiting for PCAT result,I work full time so can't go to york).Appreciate any suggestion,advice.

Yes they will count towards your admission average, as well as any other courses that count towards a Bsc Pharm degree that you may have taken previously such as Organic Chem, Microbiology, Statistics, etc.

I don't believe that is true. Electives part of the pharmacy program will not count towards the admissions average, only core courses that are part of the program will be counted, ie. Anatomy, Bioc302, etc.

This may sound like dumb question but I would like to know how is admission average calculated? I'm a non-UBC student and I was wondering how they calculate the average of courses. So for courses like organic 1&2 do they take the average of 1&2 and use that for your overall average or are all the courses counted separately when calculating the average?
-Thanks in advance

This may sound like dumb question but I would like to know how is admission average calculated? I'm a non-UBC student and I was wondering how they calculate the average of courses. So for courses like organic 1&2 do they take the average of 1&2 and use that for your overall average or are all the courses counted separately when calculating the average?
-Thanks in advance

I'm not exactly sure but I think they calculate the averages for all the ones they look at in a credit based way... like a 3 credit course would be worth more than a 1 credit course etc.. I think the courses are grouped all together. Everything that they look at (all prereqs and all the non-pharm courses that you can take before you get in like the biochem, organic chem, anatomy etc) would be counted towards the average. I believe they compare the applicants' % like this because some students have taken more courses than others (eg. student entering after first, and student entering after second year)

Hi everyone! :) I'm hoping to be able to get into the pharmacy next year, I'll be going into second year at UBC and I just have a question:

I know that to apply to the pharmacy program they require you to have completed at least 30 credits before; but I just wanted to double check if they require you to get x amount of credits in the year you're applying in since I'll be registering for 26 credits this coming winter term...

Hi everyone! :) I'm hoping to be able to get into the pharmacy next year, I'll be going into second year at UBC and I just have a question:

I know that to apply to the pharmacy program they require you to have completed at least 30 credits before; but I just wanted to double check if they require you to get x amount of credits in the year you're applying in since I'll be registering for 26 credits this coming winter term...

You're in the 2009 thread. Might want to post in the current 2010 thread :)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=678260&page=28