UBC Pharmacy 2009 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
official acceptance request is out on SSC

Members don't see this ad.

i accepted the offer on scc under accept or decline offer, but i still dont see the option for pharmacy when i go to my programs under registration, any one else have this same issue

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmms that's weird. I still haven't gotten my admission approved on SSC. Does it have anything to do with paying my deposit for next year? Or is it just a weird processing thing on UBC's part? (I'm assuming everybody accepted should be able to select their degree via the SSC by Monday/Tuesday when everything is completely processed).

for some reason i'm not getting the accept or decline offer on my ssc. anyone else having this problem?

Hi guys, I now see some of you are accepted to UBC pharm school.
I didn't get in and that was because of my PCAT composition score. When you guys say that your PCAT score is XX, you only mean the composition score, uh?

I'm gonna try again, but well, I don't know. so many of you here say essay and vocab parts got nothing to study; but English is the hardest task for me to overcome.

Does anyone knows someone who tutors for PCAT composition? I REALLY need help. If you know "anyone" please tell me. Or any one of you (who scores very high in your PCAT comp section) would like to be my tutor? Any comments would be very, very appreciated. Please email me if its okay. masterofmmr@hot.

I can study other parts on my own, but to be honest, writing is not something that I can work on by reading PCAT prep books! I need comments, feedbacks. Help me out please.

Hi guys, I now see some of you are accepted to UBC pharm school.
I didn't get in and that was because of my PCAT composition score. When you guys say that your PCAT score is XX, you only mean the composition score, uh?

I'm gonna try again, but well, I don't know. so many of you here say essay and vocab parts got nothing to study; but English is the hardest task for me to overcome.

Does anyone knows someone who tutors for PCAT composition? I REALLY need help. If you know "anyone" please tell me. Or any one of you (who scores very high in your PCAT comp section) would like to be my tutor? Any comments would be very, very appreciated. Please email me if its okay. masterofmmr@hot.

I can study other parts on my own, but to be honest, writing is not something that I can work on by reading PCAT prep books! I need comments, feedbacks. Help me out please.

actually UBC doesn't look at the composition scores of the PCAT so you might want to check out what other parts of your application you are actually lacking in

yeah man, after the interview, the pcat is worth like 2-3% like kelee said.

for some reason i'm not getting the accept or decline offer on my ssc. anyone else having this problem?

Yes, same here. I guess we will just have to wait a bit longer. Margaret is out of the office so I wasn't able to e-mail her. Anyone else unable to accept the offer on SSC?

yeah its up on mine too under my programs, once u pick it your time changes too. mine is 7 on july 13th

I am pretty sure that the first people to have it come up on ssc are those that have the earliest registration dates and that will go by pre req gpa. So for those with lower GPA's your registration date should come up on Monday or Tuesday of next week.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey is anyone having the same PROBLEM AS ME?!

why when I log in everytime to SSC,
Go under registration

Have to choose pharmacy for registration everytime??

I am pretty sure that the first people to have it come up on ssc are those that have the earliest registration dates and that will go by pre req gpa. So for those with lower GPA's your registration date should come up on Monday or Tuesday of next week.

People who already got your registration dates, what are your GPAs like?

And the registration for my old program is tomorrow at 7am. Should I register for Anat and Physiology tomorrow then?

People who already got your registration dates, what are your GPAs like?

And the registration for my old program is tomorrow at 7am. Should I register for Anat and Physiology tomorrow then?

yah same here i dunno wut i should do because I wanna take electives should i register tomorrow?!?

i'm just wondering, does any elective course count for the 6 credits of non-pharm electives as long as it's not a pre-req for pharm? i'm assuming most people that have got into pharm this year having completed 2 or more years of undergrad work will have got this done already..

yah same here i dunno wut i should do because I wanna take electives should i register tomorrow?!?

yeah.. i also dont have the registration date and time yet... we'll see, what are u guys planning to take in terms of electives :D

i have the same problem i have to reselct it everytime, but once i do my time comes up, to answers someones question my gpa was 80. also i dont think your suppose to regesiter for your other class first cuz it says register for our standard time table first then individual sections

^^ phew, so it's not by GPA. I haven't received a accept/decline offer yet and I haven't been able to select BSc Pharm under MyProgram yet, but my GPA is a bit higher, so that's good.

haha yeah i was getting so annoyed cuz i would have to keep selecting pharm under my program everytime i opened registration. has anyone already paid the deposit before accepting the offer? i did it in may cuz it said that it was overdue but it was for BSC W09 not BSCP.. but it says i dont have any outstanding fees!! so im guessing i dont have to pay another deposit for BSCP??

you don't have to pay a registration fee again for pharmacy if you have already paid the $100 deposit for another program. As far as registering goes, you can't register before your pharmacy registration date even if it is for electives. If you do I am pretty sure you will be deregistered and then just have to re register later. It doesn't matter though because all the required first year pharm courses have reserved seats for pharm students because of the late registration dates. Non pharm electives are any course that doesn't count towards pre-reqs and doesn't fall under pharmacy approved electives. And don't worry about whether or not you can accept the pharmacy program yet because everyone will be able to by the end of this week guaranteed.

Hi everyone. I just finished my first year of General Science and applied for pharm, but didn't get in. Do you have any advice on courses I should take during my second year? I'm totally flipping out right now because I have no idea what to take. Are there any first year pharmacy courses that I can take beforehand. Thanks!

Hi everyone. I just finished my first year of General Science and applied for pharm, but didn't get in. Do you have any advice on courses I should take during my second year? I'm totally flipping out right now because I have no idea what to take. Are there any first year pharmacy courses that I can take beforehand. Thanks!

Take MICB 202, Chem 233, Chem 235, Stat 200,

Stat 203 over Stat 200. Stat 203 is MUCH easier. :D

You can also take some courses that will be counted towards pharm electives, like ANTH 217. It won't count towards your GPA for admission, but it can lighten your course load once you get in.

How is everyone getting their immunizations? Is there somewhere I can get them for free? Or just some place where I can conveniently get them all at once?

actually UBC doesn't look at the composition scores of the PCAT so you might want to check out what other parts of your application you are actually lacking in

UBC does. well at least there's a cut-off line. UBC Pharmacy homepage says "A minimum PCAT composite percentile score of 65% is required. Although a 65% is the minimum required, it is in your best interest to score well in all areas of the PCAT." I didn't get that 65%. So they didn't even consider looking at my GPA or PS. I was not just (very much) disappointed but also was sad. I don't want that to happen again. But to not make this happen again, my comp score must get much much better.

My PCAT comp score was 56. (yes, this is very embarrassing, but at least you guys don't know who I am. phew) But i can tell you that my english isn't really THAT bad. I took two 1st year UBC eng courses and my scores were 86% A and 75% B.

I think I'm missing something very important for the PCAT comp, but don't know what it is. I really want to know this, and I was willing to pay tutor fees for this but no one says that s/he can teach me a strategy to get a good score in PCAT comp. Anyone can help me? Can someone please guide me through? Give me any advice that how you guys wrote your comp when you were given a certain topics. pleeease.

I am still not able to choose pharm as my program: the "accept/decline my offer" is still blank. It has been an entire whole wk since I got admitted. I don't think the whole procedure depends on GPA. Cuz my GPA is higher than 80% (as someone said he/she got 80 but is still able to choose the program). However, I suspect they process the admission by alphabetical order of last name! Mine begins with a "Z". Wish the registration date will be the same for everyone! :scared:

UBC does. well at least there's a cut-off line. UBC Pharmacy homepage says "A minimum PCAT composite percentile score of 65% is required. Although a 65% is the minimum required, it is in your best interest to score well in all areas of the PCAT." I didn't get that 65%. So they didn't even consider looking at my GPA or PS. I was not just (very much) disappointed but also was sad. I don't want that to happen again. But to not make this happen again, my comp score must get much much better.

My PCAT comp score was 56. (yes, this is very embarrassing, but at least you guys don't know who I am. phew) But i can tell you that my english isn't really THAT bad. I took two 1st year UBC eng courses and my scores were 86% A and 75% B.

I think I'm missing something very important for the PCAT comp, but don't know what it is. I really want to know this, and I was willing to pay tutor fees for this but no one says that s/he can teach me a strategy to get a good score in PCAT comp. Anyone can help me? Can someone please guide me through? Give me any advice that how you guys wrote your comp when you were given a certain topics. pleeease.

I think kurokuro's talking about composition/writing. and you are talking about composite score. UBC doesn't look at writing score. They only look at your composite score in percentile.

I think you might be a little confused by the distinction between the composite score and the composition. The composite score is based on how well you did on all the other sections, essentially an overall score of your PCAT (although if i'm not mistaken does not take into account the written portions). The written portions of the exam, the compositions, are seperate from your composite score, and as someone else said, UBC doesn't really look at your composition mark.

what did you use to study for you pcat? also what's ur pre-req average if you dont mind me asking

Congratulations to all those that got accepted. I turned down my UBC acceptance and decided to go to Waterloo. I am suprized that your waitlist is so small. U of T waitlist is 130 people this year (240 spots) and I am on their waitlist. Well I will definitely be missing out on the beautiful UBC campus which I saw during the interview stage.

Hi everyone..just looking for some thoughts and discussion,

I have noticed quite a few threads where people are worried about the future of pharmacy in the US. As far as I know, there has been a huge shortage in Canada and there should remain a shortage for the next 5 years atleast. What are your opinions on the stability and job prospects for pharmacy in the future in Canada?

Take MICB 202, Chem 233, Chem 235, Stat 200,

I have taken these courses at a different institution and am wondering how to make sure I get the proper credit for them when I am registering. Can anybody offer any suggestions?

I have a question.
I just finished first year General Science and made it to Pharmacy.
Because of this, I basically have to take all the courses that is listed in the calendar.
(PHAR 201, 202..., ANAT, CHEM, MICB, etc.) Did anyone done this? If so, how difficult is it?

what did you use to study for you pcat? also what's ur pre-req average if you dont mind me asking
I used KAPLAN study guide (my friend gave it to me so it's slightly old. 07 edition). But I didn't went through all the materials, especially the bio and chem part. I'm now working on it.

And as I remember, my average is around 77%. chem 233 and anat390 dropped my average down. Should my average be much much higher to be accepted to pharm school? (For those who are accepted, what are your averages? Let me have some basic idea of cut-off line)

Do you guys think I should retake several courses to get higher grades? A lot of people that I met in UBC say that people hate when students(applicants) retake the same courses for better grades.

I'd greatly appreciate any advice.

Ps. Blink87!! Yes i was confused btw them. One completely wrong idea was stuck in my head for no reason. Thanks for waking me up!

Still no acceptance update on student service center yet! :( My last name starts with S. Anyone else on the same boat?

Still no acceptance update on student service center yet! :( My last name starts with S. Anyone else on the same boat?

Flak, i'm in the same boat as you. I've yet to recieve an update on my acceptance, but theres still plenty of time left until our registration date so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I have a question.
I just finished first year General Science and made it to Pharmacy.
Because of this, I basically have to take all the courses that is listed in the calendar.
(PHAR 201, 202..., ANAT, CHEM, MICB, etc.) Did anyone done this? If so, how difficult is it?

It'll be very, very difficult, but not impossible. There were people who did that in my class. First year is usually a breeze, but you probably won't have that experience. At times, it'll seem like you have twice the amount of work to do as other people, and then when midterms and assignments come around, it'll seem like you got four or five times as much....But it is doable, I don't know what kind of grades they got though.

MiuMmr,

77% is a pretty good average for admittance. It's competitive but not spectacular. I wouldn't retake a course personally, maybe just give myself more time to make sure I excel in other courses instead.

I think most people on here have averages around 80%. Seems a bit higher proportionate to other years (look at 2008, 2007 thread, etc... much more centred around 77-78 those years).

Blink, flak, I was in the same boat as you guys, but I just received my accept/declne offer today, so maybe check your SSC again? However, I haven't received my myProgram BSCP eligibility yet... sigh. Last name W.

Hi everyone..just looking for some thoughts and discussion,

I have noticed quite a few threads where people are worried about the future of pharmacy in the US. As far as I know, there has been a huge shortage in Canada and there should remain a shortage for the next 5 years atleast. What are your opinions on the stability and job prospects for pharmacy in the future in Canada?

I would say job prospects and stability are still very good for pharmacists in Canada. In the States, they are opening up new pharmacy schools at an alarming rate, whereas in Canada, that has not been the case as the only new school has been at the university of waterloo in Ontario. I know that in larger centres such as Vancouver, pharmacy is probably reaching a saturation point if it hasn't already reached that point. But outside of the Lower mainland, pharmacists are still in very high demand in BC. Companies such as Shoppers Drug Mart and Safeway offer scholarship/loan programs in exchange for 2 or 3 years after grad (usually in "high need" areas) and I would say that is a very good indication that there is still a shortage.

I heard from someone that one of the 1st year Pharm courses ends fairly early in the term; does anyone know which of the courses that may be?

I've just accepted my offer on SSC, but Pharmacy is not showing up under "My Program" for registration, and my registration date is still the old one.

The waiting game continues......my last name is Q....

I heard from someone that one of the 1st year Pharm courses ends fairly early in the term; does anyone know which of the courses that may be?

yeah its pharmacy 241 in 2nd term, it is only worth 1 credit and only lasts for about a month. The mark breakdown is a 5% quiz about one week into the course, and the final worth 95%. Really though, the final is pretty easy if you put in the effort to study well for it. Right after 241 ends 220 begins in the same timeslot.

How is everyone getting their immunizations? Is there somewhere I can get them for free? Or just some place where I can conveniently get them all at once?
any further input would be greatly appreciated.

Also i want to take some FNH classes as electives but they are all restricted for FNH majors and since our registration doesn't start till next week, i am worried those course will fill up soon. Should i contact their faculty to try and register using my current eligibility before adding the pharmacy STT?

any further input would be greatly appreciated.

Also i want to take some FNH classes as electives but they are all restricted for FNH majors and since our registration doesn't start till next week, i am worried those course will fill up soon. Should i contact their faculty to try and register using my current eligibility before adding the pharmacy STT?

I did my immunization review plus TB test at UBC student health services. It cost $60 in total. It is not free and I don't think you get it free anywhere else, but I could be wrong.

I ended up having to update tetanus and chose to have DPT vaccine just to cover all the bases. I think UBC extended health insurance should cover some of the cost of vaccines. But I had a private plan so I'm not sure. Hope this has helped a little.

Hey, when you went to UBC health services did they already have all your immunization info? I'm not exactly sure what I got/didnt get... also how long did it take to do yours?

Is there anyone looking for a room mate this coming September? I am looking for someone to share a 2 bed 2 bath condo 2 min across from Woodward library (where most pharm classes are held, I believe). Anyone interested please pm me. Thanks.

just curious about those who got accepted, how many of you were first year students? (i applied after one year of general science but didn't get in, so wondering if i should apply again.)