UBC Pharmacy 2017 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there anyone out there in Montreal who wants to meet up and practice? Or even over Skype?

Also, I know that we have acting stations, do we also have stations where we have to draw??
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
@3430
Looks like u left the thread already. Anyways when u get back let me know how we can meet and your availability. I'll be working the night shift over the weekend so I'm free on Tuesday and on Wednesday
Peace!
 
There's.. acting.. stations?!?!?
No one has ever told me this O_O not even previous applicants...
 
@3430
Looks like u left the thread already. Anyways when u get back let me know how we can meet and your availability. I'll be working the night shift over the weekend so I'm free on Tuesday and on Wednesday
Peace!

That is awesome, I am free both days. I will message you my phone number so it's easier to contact!
 
There's.. acting.. stations?!?!?
No one has ever told me this O_O not even previous applicants...

From what I know, you are given a certain scenario and you have to act accordingly. For example, your boyfriend is cheating on his tests and you need to talk to him and convince him not to....You will probably be able to find some examples online 🙂
 
does anyone know how come the interviews are conducted only over 2 days? june 8 and 9. i thought its 4days...😱
Yeah I was really confused about that too!! I'm hoping... that it's because there are less applicants this year LOL, so I can get in 😛 but I don't know, that's probably not the case. Although all of my friends who applied (~5) received interviews 🙂
 
From what I know, you are given a certain scenario and you have to act accordingly. For example, your boyfriend is cheating on his tests and you need to talk to him and convince him not to....You will probably be able to find some examples online 🙂

Ohhh I thought you meant like.. get up and physically ACT something out, like drama.
I know about the "what would you do" situation type questions, though.
Phew!
:laugh:
 
Haha, I am from Richmond, but I didn't study high school here.

Meetup?
ahh, kinda like me.
i only studied in richmond for 2 years of high school!

for sure, message me. 😀 i set up a group with a couple of my other friends who got interviews!
 
Is it just me or does it seem like everyone you know who applied this year got offered an interview?!
That's definitely the case for me. I don't know a single person who applied and didn't get an interview...
😕
 
Yea...i feel like everyone I know got an interview (I only know about 3 ppl who applied though).

btw--I saw that somebody posted for MMI practice tommorow (friday) at UBC --2pm, irving 317
hopefully people who see this can join me or whoever else is planning to come.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
ahh, kinda like me.
i only studied in richmond for 2 years of high school!

for sure, message me. 😀 i set up a group with a couple of my other friends who got interviews!

I'm from Richmond too! I'll message you as well!
 
Yea...i feel like everyone I know got an interview (I only know about 3 ppl who applied though).

btw--I saw that somebody posted for MMI practice tommorow (friday) at UBC --2pm, irving 317
hopefully people who see this can join me or whoever else is planning to come.
Omg! I literally just left ubc... 🙁 sorryyy. And I'm so dumb, for some reason I thought the Irving meetings were next week, so I missed all of them! Did people show up though? But next week I can definitely meet up on campus after my classes!
 
Hey everyone,

Long time follower. good luck everyone! I was wondering for out of province applicants, are you guys waiting for interview date confirmation to book flight or hotel ? I am not sure how long it will take them to send those confirmation emails and I don't want to wait until the last minute.
 
Hey Simie,
Yeh I'm waiting for the conf. date to book a flight. I'm hoping they'll give us the dates at least a week in advance. Do u think prices will be much higher if we book like within a week? It'd suck...
 
For the hotel I booked at ubc hostel two nights and once I know which day it is, I'll unbook one of the nights.
P.S: it's pretty cheap and near the campus if u don't want sth fancy 🙂
 
Hey Tigos,

The prices are already getting higher, even three weeks away from the interview date. well, atleast for westjet. I know, sucks! Yeah, I am also looking for hotels fairly near ubc so I won't be anxious about getting their on time on interview day.

Hope those confirmations come soon.
 
You're welcome!
So r u worried about the fact that we're OOPs? And if u don't mind, which province r u from?
 
i do worry about that since they will give preference to bc residents+ my application is not that stellar either 🙁. I think I am just taking shot at it. The interview really is something I am counting on.

They should put stats to give people rough idea of how many oop they end up taking each year.

I am from alberta! how about you?
 
And u're worried about flight tickets?! lol I'm saying that cuz i'll be flying from Montreal...
My stats aren't stellar either that's why m worried about the oop thing. I heard UoA is even harder to get in.
 
Can you guys post your interview invite stats, like your GPA and PCAT scores, Thanks

I'm in province.

Average is 75.
PCAT is 88.
ECs. Professional cinematographer, 300 hours+ volunteering at medical library and rehab clinic (maybe even more?), rec hockey. And lots of various one day events.

Crap average. Everything else is not bad I guess.
 
Hey Im from Toronto
my stats are 84% PCAT and 84% GPA

Im coming to Vancouver on 7th and leaving on 10th

Will stay at Pacific Hostel at UBC


anybody else from Toronto or other OOPs?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You're welcome!
So r u worried about the fact that we're OOPs? And if u don't mind, which province r u from?


I would suggest buying tickets now

cause its gonna get more expensive


and I looked at Itravel20.. but its not that cheap or has hotels at Langley

cheapest is to buy tickets straight from company and Pacific host
 
Hey Im from Toronto
my stats are 84% PCAT and 84% GPA

Im coming to Vancouver on 7th and leaving on 10th

Will stay at Pacific Hostel at UBC


anybody else from Toronto or other OOPs?

Hey, I'll be flying to Vancouver on the same day, and my connecting flight is in Toronto. I'll probably be staying at the same place as you. When's your flight? Maybe we can split a cab!
 
Hey, I'll be flying to Vancouver on the same day, and my connecting flight is in Toronto. I'll probably be staying at the same place as you. When's your flight? Maybe we can split a cab!


LOL

my flight is at 7am in Toronto and I arrive to Vancouver at 9am(their time)
 
Ah, that's too bad 🙁 I'm mostly likely going to take an evening flight. Maybe I'll see you at the hotel 😛


If you hear:laugh: loud music and just follow the cops and thats where I am 😀


but I think its a great idea to live on campus...close to location of interview

maybe we can meet up and exchange ideas....I did same for Toronto interviews
 
Last edited:
If you hear:laugh: loud music and just follow the cops and thats where I am 😀


but I think its a great idea to live on campus...close to location of interview

maybe we can meet up and exchange ideas....I did same for Toronto interviews
Sounds good! I'd be happy to share ideas!
 
You and 3 friends are watching a 70 yr old man prepare a hot-air balloon. The balloon is ready and the man is holding one of the 5 released anchors ropes that are all 6m long. His 10 yr old grandson is already in the basket. A gust of wind raises the balloon 2m off the ground. The man shouts for help and you and your friends each grab close to the end of one of the other anchor ropes. The balloon raises so high that even though you are holding onto the ropes, you are lifted off the ground to a height of 7m. What would you do in this situation.

What is everyones thought on this question.
 
You and 3 friends are watching a 70 yr old man prepare a hot-air balloon. The balloon is ready and the man is holding one of the 5 released anchors ropes that are all 6m long. His 10 yr old grandson is already in the basket. A gust of wind raises the balloon 2m off the ground. The man shouts for help and you and your friends each grab close to the end of one of the other anchor ropes. The balloon raises so high that even though you are holding onto the ropes, you are lifted off the ground to a height of 7m. What would you do in this situation.

What is everyones thought on this question.

Interesting question! I don't think there is one right answer here, but this is what my answer would be. First, I would climb the rope and enter the balloon. Next, I would pull the grandfather into the balloon since he can operate it, and because he would be the most likely to fall off his rope first. Then I would help my 3 friends enter the balloon. Why did I choose this answer? I think its because its what I would honestly try and do if this actually happened. The opposition to this approach would be something like: What if you weren't strong enough to climb the rope? What if the grandfather had already dropped from his rope? etc... I guess these are things the interviewer would be asking.

Another approach would be to drop from the rope and go for help, assuming that no one else was aware of the emergency. Then some kind of aerial rescue would follow? In my opinion, these two answers or any other would be valid as long as you showed that your first priority was the well-being of the 5 members in the scenario. Any other answers?

Thanks for posting this one arora 🙂
 
Hey fellow applicants, just found the right thread to post in! I hope there are still people looking for practice groups. I'm available in Surrey during the weekends and evenings, and UBC during the day and afternoon.

If I'm not able to join a pre-existing group, I'm hoping to form one to meet semi-regularly over this (and the next) week.

Reposting this from the last page:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yQqc49mJMhJN9HetkBNXte7c2IxU_cyfjnXpNpYgcvs/edit?pli=1

Good luck everyone!
 
This is from the interview invite email. "The interview question/scenario at each station is 5 minutes in duration with a 2-minute transition period." I thought we get 7 minutes to answer the question but email says only 5.. Does anyone know how much time we get to talk at each station?
 
Hey fellow applicants, just found the right thread to post in! I hope there are still people looking for practice groups. I'm available in Surrey during the weekends and evenings, and UBC during the day and afternoon.

If I'm not able to join a pre-existing group, I'm hoping to form one to meet semi-regularly over this (and the next) week.

Reposting this from the last page:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yQqc49mJMhJN9HetkBNXte7c2IxU_cyfjnXpNpYgcvs/edit?pli=1

Good luck everyone!
I can meet if you're still looking for someone to practice with!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is from the interview invite email. "The interview question/scenario at each station is 5 minutes in duration with a 2-minute transition period." I thought we get 7 minutes to answer the question but email says only 5.. Does anyone know how much time we get to talk at each station?

Each station is overall 7 minutes long:

2 minutes to read the prompt and brainstorm/think about an answer.
5 minutes in the interview room giving your answer to the interviewers.

By the way, does anyone have an general idea of what type of questions they'll ask? Will they be mostly medical/pharmacy based questions? Or more general scenarios like the balloon one somebody posted above? I'm wondering if it's worth the time to get familiar with a bunch of Pharmacy/Medical terms before the interview.
 
Last edited:
Hey Im from Toronto
my stats are 84% PCAT and 84% GPA

Im coming to Vancouver on 7th and leaving on 10th

Will stay at Pacific Hostel at UBC


anybody else from Toronto or other OOPs?

Hi I am from Toronto too and I got a interview invite as well 🙂

I would love to meet up for an interview practice and maybe even meet up at Vancouver if possible.

BTW is Pacific hotel close to UBC campus and what is the UBC hostel?

I still have to book my plane tickets and plan things out! So much to do last minute!

Anyways cheers & good luck to everyone!
 
Hi I am from Toronto too and I got a interview invite as well 🙂

I would love to meet up for an interview practice and maybe even meet up at Vancouver if possible.

BTW is Pacific hotel close to UBC campus and what is the UBC hostel?

I still have to book my plane tickets and plan things out! So much to do last minute!

Anyways cheers & good luck to everyone!

If you'd like, I'm also available to practice via skype!

By Pacific Hotel, do you mean Pan Pacific Hotel? It's about an hour away by bus.

This is where you can book rooms from UBC (all of these are pretty much on campus):
http://www.ubcconferences.com/accommodations/
 
does anyone know how come the interviews are conducted only over 2 days? june 8 and 9. i thought its 4days...😱

I suspect a lower amount of applicants this year.

It's weird because I know a couple people who already got rejected.

I'm in 3rd year of pharmacy so questions/thoughts feel free to shoot them my way.