UBC Pharmacy 2017 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I suspect a lower amount of applicants this year.

It's weird because I know a couple people who already got rejected.

I'm in 3rd year of pharmacy so questions/thoughts feel free to shoot them my way.
Hello

Congrats to all that got interviews for Sept 2013!

New member as of today and I am looking for some general practice questions for the UBC Pharmacy MMI.

Does anyone know of how to get your hands on some of these questions? Would they be more Personal based (as in questions about your application/statements we submitted?) or more Pharmacy and Medical based?

Anything would help! Thanks in advance!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, if any of you are free, 3 of us are meeting at SFU Surrey tomorrow evening, message me if you'd like to join!
 
Hi I am from Toronto too and I got a interview invite as well 🙂

I would love to meet up for an interview practice and maybe even meet up at Vancouver if possible.

BTW is Pacific hotel close to UBC campus and what is the UBC hostel?

I still have to book my plane tickets and plan things out! So much to do last minute!

Anyways cheers & good luck to everyone!


yep we can meet


pacific hotel is located on campus...and its actually hostel,but you get a private room
 
Last edited:
I'm practicing the MMI with a friend at UBC on June 5th (Wednesday) at 2PM. If you'd like to join, send a message.
 
Interview strategy question:

Seeing as the alloted time for our answers is only 5 minutes, I am curious as to how everyone plans to use this time. For instance, a 2-3 minute answer which would allow time for follow up questions. Or, a full 4-5 minute speech leaving minimal time to interact with the interviewer. What kind of time management strategy do you plan to use?

Thanks!
 
Interview strategy question:

Seeing as the alloted time for our answers is only 5 minutes, I am curious as to how everyone plans to use this time. For instance, a 2-3 minute answer which would allow time for follow up questions. Or, a full 4-5 minute speech leaving minimal time to interact with the interviewer. What kind of time management strategy do you plan to use?

Thanks!

I was wondering about this too?
 
A few of us are setting up some more practice sessions on Thursday @ Metrotown Library from 2pm - ?
Friday @ UBC Woodwards 2pm - ?
It's open for interested applicants!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This has been bugging me for a couple days now and it's making me even more anxious as the clock is slowly ticking down..
It's a question mostly for the girls here..
Are you wearing a dress or dress pants? I've asked around as I don't want to under/over dress but I feel like everyone's going for pants, whereas I'm leaning more towards a dress..
This may sound totally stupid, but I just worry too much!
🙁:scared:
 
Clam28: Whatever professional look you want to bring out. I'm just doing regular job interview

Lucasg & goldenboy48: I'll be at metrotown Library @ 3:00pm - 7pm on thursday

For the friday session, we'll be meeting at woodwards downstairs.
 
Clam28: Whatever professional look you want to bring out. I'm just doing regular job interview

Lucasg & goldenboy48: I'll be at metrotown Library @ 3:00pm - 7pm on thursday

For the friday session, we'll be meeting at woodwards downstairs.

Yeah, after some freaking out last night, I decided on a skirt!

Ahh I was just looking at the Woodward bookings and noticed someone booked rooms downstairs at 2 for mmi practice, haha. Myself and a couple of my friends may just drop by sometime too and join you guys as we have a room booked upstairs buttt... The more the merrier! 😀
 
Clam28: Whatever professional look you want to bring out. I'm just doing regular job interview

Lucasg & goldenboy48: I'll be at metrotown Library @ 3:00pm - 7pm on thursday

For the friday session, we'll be meeting at woodwards downstairs.

I'd like to come too on Friday! But I'm new to this campus, where at woodwards library would we be meeting? Thanks!
 
All the best to those heading off to showcase their talents tomorrow - be yourself, be concise and be awesome 🙂!
 
Good luck to all of you that got an interview, and I hope it all goes well!

I'm planning on applying for 2018, and I was wondering if anyone would mind sharing their admission average and PCAT score. I wanted to hopefully get a better idea of the true average needed rather than the vague 75-80% GPA and 85-90% PCAT posted on the UBC pharmacy website.

Thanks!
 
Good luck to all of you that got an interview, and I hope it all goes well!

I'm planning on applying for 2018, and I was wondering if anyone would mind sharing their admission average and PCAT score. I wanted to hopefully get a better idea of the true average needed rather than the vague 75-80% GPA and 85-90% PCAT posted on the UBC pharmacy website.

Thanks!

That's pretty accurate.
 
So after the interview, does the pcat /application still matter or is it all gpa and interview?
 
Hi
I have recently undergone MMI processes for professional schools including UBC pharmacy.

When I first I did an MMI, and I mostly studied too much from reading "Doing Right" book, so when I was asked about questions that had nothing to do with ethics, I completely blanked out and spent the entire time talking nonsense. Needless to say, I screwed up.

Without discussing the content of the interview, here are few tips. For me, I had big problems with stuttering & looking nervous during the interview, so the "cosmetic" aspect of the interview was a big challenge for me in addition to being able to organize my thoughts in 2 minutes.

Disclaimer: any relevant examples that I discuss below are NOT MMI questions. We had to sign a non-disclosure agreement so I will not share any questions.
1. Read about social issues as well - Watch/read news & be aware of some of the major ongoing social issues. For example, think about things like "how social media affects the way people communicate etc...

2. For ethics-related stuff - even though the MMI does not specifically test any explicit contents related to ethics, I recommend people to read a book called "Doing Right" by Philip Herbert. It will give you some idea about how to structure your answers.

3. Try reading as many books related to management/communication skills - again, no one will expect you to explicitly regurgitate contents from books like these, but it is important to widen your knowledge base by reading about how successful people manage people/time. Start with books like "MBA for dummies" to get a general idea about how to handle potentially conflicting situations.

4. Stuttering/nervous looking problem - this was my big big problem. In order to avoid this problem, I recorded my voice/videotaped myself on webcam to monitor my body language and my responses. It took time, but when I compare my current responses to my first video recording, I could see how much I improved. Also, try participating in toastmasters club or sign up to tutor/teach a course. Practice is the ONLY way to improve.

5. Practice - Again, a cliche, but I think the best way to prep for MMI is by putting yourself out there. Get a group of ~4 friends, meet regularly, take a turn to practice & have your friends to grade your response. Then talk about how your body language was & how you can improve the quality of your responses.

I will post more when I could come up with more tips, but that's all for now.

Good luck!
 
Wow, interviews are done and it's been quiet here? How did everyone else feel they did on it? I felt good coming out (did alright to pretty good on most stations) of the interview but now I'm starting to doubt myself.

Supposedly, I've heard you should always go with your first intuition, so if that's true... then hopefully I'll be just fine.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi
I have recently undergone MMI processes for professional schools including UBC pharmacy.

When I first I did an MMI, and I mostly studied too much from reading "Doing Right" book, so when I was asked about questions that had nothing to do with ethics, I completely blanked out and spent the entire time talking nonsense. Needless to say, I screwed up.

Without discussing the content of the interview, here are few tips. For me, I had big problems with stuttering & looking nervous during the interview, so the "cosmetic" aspect of the interview was a big challenge for me in addition to being able to organize my thoughts in 2 minutes.

Disclaimer: any relevant examples that I discuss below are NOT MMI questions. We had to sign a non-disclosure agreement so I will not share any questions.
1. Read about social issues as well - Watch/read news & be aware of some of the major ongoing social issues. For example, think about things like "how social media affects the way people communicate etc...

2. For ethics-related stuff - even though the MMI does not specifically test any explicit contents related to ethics, I recommend people to read a book called "Doing Right" by Philip Herbert. It will give you some idea about how to structure your answers.

3. Try reading as many books related to management/communication skills - again, no one will expect you to explicitly regurgitate contents from books like these, but it is important to widen your knowledge base by reading about how successful people manage people/time. Start with books like "MBA for dummies" to get a general idea about how to handle potentially conflicting situations.

4. Stuttering/nervous looking problem - this was my big big problem. In order to avoid this problem, I recorded my voice/videotaped myself on webcam to monitor my body language and my responses. It took time, but when I compare my current responses to my first video recording, I could see how much I improved. Also, try participating in toastmasters club or sign up to tutor/teach a course. Practice is the ONLY way to improve.

5. Practice - Again, a cliche, but I think the best way to prep for MMI is by putting yourself out there. Get a group of ~4 friends, meet regularly, take a turn to practice & have your friends to grade your response. Then talk about how your body language was & how you can improve the quality of your responses.

I will post more when I could come up with more tips, but that's all for now.

Good luck!
Yes, I found tip #4 extremely helpful as well when I was preparing last year. I didn't really have anyone to interview me so I set up a webcam to monitor how I looked and it also helped me maintain eye contact. It's funny because sometimes you think you might look nervous, but when you look at the video, you might look pretty calm on the outside. It definitely helped me decrease my hand/leg fidgeting.
 
Got an email from Jennifer, almost passed out when I saw it's an email from UBC bcuz I thought that only a rejection could come that fast. I can't handle this anymore!
 
Got an email from Jennifer, almost passed out when I saw it's an email from UBC bcuz I thought that only a rejection could come that fast. I can't handle this anymore!

Lol, you are not alone. I find myself stressing out lots too.
 
Does anyone know how many people interviewed & what are the chances of getting an acceptance after the interview?
 
Does anyone know how many people interviewed & what are the chances of getting an acceptance after the interview?

I had the rest station as my last station in the interview. So at the end I had a chance to chat with the students running our interview session. I asked that question, they told me they were doing 6 sessions each day. So, if all interview sessions were the same (30 students) that would make 360 students. Then you would have a 224/360 chance to be accepted...not too bad🙂
 
I'm surprised how quiet this thread is! I thought there would be more people posting after the interview. The 2010 and 2011 threads had 29 pages of posts 😱 and we're only at 7. Is everyone too stressed to post? We could play a game or something to lighten the mood up in here a bit...
 
I'm surprised how quiet this thread is! I thought there would be more people posting after the interview. The 2010 and 2011 threads had 29 pages of posts 😱 and we're only at 7. Is everyone too stressed to post? We could play a game or something to lighten the mood up in here a bit...

dunno, but i like lurking better than posting :/
 
Think a lot of us could just be nervous. Overall though, I felt as though my interview didn't go as well. And yes, I did hear there was 360 students being interviewed,
 
I'm actually sooo nervous!! :S I don't feel like my interview went too well either. I like lurking too, but not when no one's posting 😛
Haha oh gosh, I realized my answer for the creative question was really stupid... especially after I went home and reflected upon it... I told my mom about how I answered it, and she laughed at me LOL 😵
 
I'm actually sooo nervous!! :S I don't feel like my interview went too well either. I like lurking too, but not when no one's posting 😛
Haha oh gosh, I realized my answer for the creative question was really stupid... especially after I went home and reflected upon it... I told my mom about how I answered it, and she laughed at me LOL 😵

Haha, thank god I wasn't the only who felt that way. I swear after I left that station I just was shaking my head is disappointment and couldn't think about anything else.
 
Haha, thank god I wasn't the only who felt that way. I swear after I left that station I just was shaking my head is disappointment and couldn't think about anything else.
Haha I couldn't stop thinking about that interview the entire Sunday night!! Reflecting on my answers just made my confidence level drop... that wasn't even the worst station for me, I felt pretty bad after the acting station. And when I talked to my friends about it, they all thought their interviews had been all right lol.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Haha I couldn't stop thinking about that interview the entire Sunday night!! Reflecting on my answers just made my confidence level drop... that wasn't even the worst station for me, I felt pretty bad after the acting station. And when I talked to my friends about it, they all thought their interviews had been all right lol.

Yeah, my friends pretty much said the exact same thing as well. And it doesn't help that this is all I can think about as of late as well.

Eh, at least I rocked the break station.
 
I blew the acting station so hard, lol. The observer even laughed once when something I said came out entirely the wrong way.
 
I blew the acting station so hard, lol. The observer even laughed once when something I said came out entirely the wrong way.

I went into one station totally misreading one question. About halfway through I was like... 'wait a minute.'
 
I blew the acting station so hard, lol. The observer even laughed once when something I said came out entirely the wrong way.
Haha awww, I screwed it up too.. basically I was saying a bunch of stuff, but actually saying nothing, since I didn't end up accomplishing anything. For the creative question, the interviewer laughed at me too lol... I guess my ideas were a bit too innovative 😛 I even apologized once in the middle of that station and looked around the room, when I was thinking about what to say next LOL -.-
 
Yeah, my friends pretty much said the exact same thing as well. And it doesn't help that this is all I can think about as of late as well.

Eh, at least I rocked the break station.
Haha sameee and I don't know if you were on that floor, but there was a volunteer who kept telling me to breathe and that I was doing good LOL. On the inside, I was actually freaking out about how badly the acting station had went...