UBC pre-pharm please come in

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cimdy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going to take 4 courses next term. However, only 3 of them will be of importance in applying for Pharmacy. The physics 102 is taken only out of interest(which will only be counted as elactives in my second year and will not affect my application status).Do you think 4 courses will be too busy in my case?
Should I stick to scoring higher in my pre-requisites or choosing more courses to make full use of my time?
Those UBC pre-pharm please give me some advice and share your opinions.
Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

What other classes are you taking that are the pre-requis?

Pharm schools don't want people that only takes 10-11hour credit hours per semester considering the workload in pharm school is going to be a lot more around 15-16 i think.

I'm taking 14 but I want to take Phys but i'm going to stay on the safe side.

Prinp of Marcoecon
OChem 1 +L
Biology 2 +L
Speech Communication

and all of them are pre-requis courses

I dropped OChem 1 last semester since I didn't think I was going to get an A in it and the class was easy to me :mad:

Actually I've already finish 23 credits, that's GChem and Ochem, Biol1 and BIol 2 Cal1 and Calculus 2,Phys, 1 English; so whether to choose more courses is up to me.
Should I?

cimdy how many English courses did you take, because i am also applying to ubc pharm this year and i think you need two English courses. You just listed 1.

Members don't see this ad :)
cindy i think you're current course load is fine. I'm in the same boat as you. I'm only taking 3 courses right now. I had a full course load last term so that demonstrates that i am capable of a full course load. I know for UT you need to have at least one full course load.

I think as long as you fulfill the prereqs you're fine

I think UBC's pharm degree is a BSc. degree in Pharmacy instead of an actual "doctorate" degree that the students from the states earn. With that said, if one does graduate from UBC with a BSc. in pharm doesn't that prevent them from practicing in the USA or for that matter any other region except for canada which requires a doctorate degree ?

Hi everyone, I'm currently in first year pharmacy at UBC, just thought I'd give a heads up that all of next week March 3-7th in the sub from 12pm-1pm we will be having information booths on pharmacy as it is Pharmacy Awareness Week!

Please come out and check out our booths.. we have a lot of free stuff to give away!

Also, come visit me.. I'll be at the information booth on 'admissions' and I'll be able to help you out there! (Wednesday!)

I think UBC's pharm degree is a BSc. degree in Pharmacy instead of an actual "doctorate" degree that the students from the states earn. With that said, if one does graduate from UBC with a BSc. in pharm doesn't that prevent them from practicing in the USA or for that matter any other region except for canada which requires a doctorate degree ?

UBC gives a BSc, not a PharmD. Not sure on how that would translate if you wanted to practice in the States, but keep in mind most students in the UBC pharm program are Canadian (since the program does not accept international students) and that most have no desire to move to the states, so the degree isn't necessarily "limiting". I think it is a matter at looking at each individual country and seeing what credentials/upgrading would be necessary.