PCAT date coming soon; I'm scared!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GodIsBeautiful

ℬ.
Removed
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Am I the only person frightened to take my PCAT? I live in New York, and my test day is on July 18th. I'm so frightened, I feel like I've studied a lot, but nothing is retaining. If you have any tips of how I can overcome this burdening fear, please comment below! It would be much needed; much appreciated.

I've used Kaplan, Dr. Collins, and Barrons, but I'm only entering my sophomore year of college. I didn't take Organic Chemistry, Microbiology or Biochemistry yet, because I'm taking it this upcoming school year. I'm literally teaching myself some material, and leaving the rest up to God.

Arrrrghhhh, good luck to everyone! I just want a 400+. I will get it, in Jesus Name.

Members don't see this ad.

Misery loves company. Just know that you are not alone in this boat and there are many like you out there.
Sounds to me you are taking this early which is fine. If you do well then congrats, if not you still have a lot of time to take it again in the future. If you do end up taking it again, at least you will know the level of difficulty and will know exactly what to do to be absolutely prepared. Just know its not the end of the world and relax.
I myself am taking it for the first time tomorrow and am nervous.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow and for those taking it on the 18th!

Reactions: 1 users
Misery loves company. Just know that you are not alone in this boat and there are many like you out there.
Sounds to me you are taking this early which is fine. If you do well then congrats, if not you still have a lot of time to take it again in the future. If you do end up taking it again, at least you will know the level of difficulty and will know exactly what to do to be absolutely prepared. Just know its not the end of the world and relax.
I myself am taking it for the first time tomorrow and am nervous.

Good luck to everyone tomorrow and for those taking it on the 18th!

Yes, misery looooooves company, as well as comfort and assurance. :claps:

Oh my, us first-timers! This is so nerve-wracking, the anticipation is killing me. We WILL pass! We will excel!

I heard we get our preliminary scores back immediately (without essay); well, some testing sites do so. That alone makes me so neurotic, lol.

Hi @GodIsBeautiful! I think it's completely normal to be anxious or nervous before a major exam. One way is to take a break between studying and utilize calm breathing exercises. Whether you are studying or taking the exam, if you feel like you're getting anxious, you can try going to your "happy place". Think of a time when you were extremely happy, close your eyes for 5 seconds and take slow, deep breathes. I find that helpful when I'm in a stressful situation.

Another way is to focus less on the actual score. I know you're aiming for a 400+ but just know that if you prepared the best you could up to the test date, then that's all you could have done. Just give it your best shot. Plus, the PCAT is not the sole divider between getting into pharmacy school or not getting in. There are several other considerations such as GPA, volunteering, extracurriculars, essays, and interview. Think of this as a journey and that the PCAT is just one part of your journey.

Lastly, an advice I can give is to visit your testing center beforehand. This might give you an idea of the environment you'll be taking the test in.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi @GodIsBeautiful! I think it's completely normal to be anxious or nervous before a major exam. One way is to take a break between studying and utilize calm breathing exercises. Whether you are studying or taking the exam, if you feel like you're getting anxious, you can try going to your "happy place". Think of a time when you were extremely happy, close your eyes for 5 seconds and take slow, deep breathes. I find that helpful when I'm in a stressful situation.

Another way is to focus less on the actual score. I know you're aiming for a 400+ but just know that if you prepared the best you could up to the test date, then that's all you could have done. Just give it your best shot. Plus, the PCAT is not the sole divider between getting into pharmacy school or not getting in. There are several other considerations such as GPA, volunteering, extracurriculars, essays, and interview. Think of this as a journey and that the PCAT is just one part of your journey.

Lastly, an advice I can give is to visit your testing center beforehand. This might give you an idea of the environment you'll be taking the test in.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Thank you so much, @NextStepTutor_4. I'm working really hard to be a well-rounded, above average student, so I just hope I do well on the PCAT to have a better chance of getting into pharmacy school.

And that's a smart idea; visiting my testing center. Will do! Thank you very much!