UBC Pre-pharmacy 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
so we do have pharm class on tuesday the 7th, but do we have to go to non pharm classes like ochem?

What sincosx said.. the only classes you will have to attend are the ones labeled "PHAR"

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm applying for pharmacy 2011 and I was wondering if those of you who are starting this September were required to submit a letter of intent as part of your application. I thought this was a standard part of the application process, but I can't seem to find it anywhere on the UBC website. I will end up calling to confirm anyway, but I guess I should assume that letters of intent are no longer required? Thanks a lot guys:)

No letters of intent, but you are required to write one or two (can't remember) essays.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I read on the UBC Pharm Website that the program requires you to do clinical rotations for 20 weeks. 12 weeks outside of the greater vancouver area and 8 weeks that are inside the greater vancouver area. I am just going into my first year of pharmacy at UBC and only my second year of university, so was overwhelmed with the number of courses i still have to take in higher years. I'm just wondering if there is a specific time when students are required to finish these rotations. Are the ones that can be in the greater-vancouver full-time, or part-time, so you can still go to school? Or do most students complete these in the summers and if so, do they do this during the summer of their 2nd and 3rd year?

Thanks in advance for any information!

So, I read on the UBC Pharm Website that the program requires you to do clinical rotations for 20 weeks. 12 weeks outside of the greater vancouver area and 8 weeks that are inside the greater vancouver area. I am just going into my first year of pharmacy at UBC and only my second year of university, so was overwhelmed with the number of courses i still have to take in higher years. I'm just wondering if there is a specific time when students are required to finish these rotations. Are the ones that can be in the greater-vancouver full-time, or part-time, so you can still go to school? Or do most students complete these in the summers and if so, do they do this during the summer of their 2nd and 3rd year?

They will explain all of this when you go to your PHAR202 orientation this week.

There are 3 rotations throughout the pharmacy program. This first is four weeks and takes place in either may, june, or july after your 2nd year in a community pharmacy. The second is also four weeks and takes place in may, june, or july after 3rd year in a community pharmacy. The final rotation takes place in either term 1 or term 2 of your final year. It is 2 months in a community pharmacy and 1 month in an institutional setting such as a hospital or long term care home. You do not necessarily have to do the rotations outside of the lower mainland, but they want you to be prepared to do up to 12 weeks outside of the lower mainland. You cannot work while doing these rotations and will not have any classes during the rotations.

Do any of you guys have practise exams for physiology 301?

who scheduled the ceremony at 5:30pm??? why not 6pm? 1st years have labs until 5PM tomorrow lol . unless we get out early?

I got a Small labcoat and it seems really really big on me now..lol. In years past if you ask can you change sizes or is it too late?

I got a Small labcoat and it seems really really big on me now..lol. In years past if you ask can you change sizes or is it too late?

There's certainly no harm in asking. I have an XS and it is still pretty big, and I had to get the sleeves hemmed.

Hey everybody, I'm a first year science student who is considering BScPharm as a undergraduate path... and well I was ignorant planning my courses and screwed up my time table, not taking Phys 101... and now it's full and chances of registering (term 1 and 2) are unlikely.
So my question is, what are some advantages of applying for the BScPharm program 2nd year? From what I read, it would allow me to save $ and not have to take such a busy course load in First Year Pharm, correct?

Also, I went and talked to the Undergrad Advisor of the Faculty of Pharm and she wasn't very helpful regarding some questions including Non academic Qualifications, ECs and Volunteering and stuff. Do I need volunteering Pharmacy experience?

Having read this thread I understand that the application process is protracted, including the PCAT, Resume/Application, Essays, Letters of Reference and the unpopular MMI interviews.

So can someone with experience give me a synopsis of the entire process and their thoughts? How hard is it to get in? Are the NAQs weighed more than PCAT and/or the Admission GPA?
I suppose that the fact that there are 200+ spots gives one a good chance of getting in, right? Maybe 25%+?

Well I would be more than grateful if someone can provide the answers to my questions. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
UBC doesn't require pharmacy volunteering experience. I think there are a lot of people from here who got in without pharmacy experience (me lurk long time). Experience or not, I think you just have to show that you're knowledgeable about the profession, and where it is headed in the future.

I'm applying to UBC only in Feb. 2011 because I've already graduated and don't have the prerequisites for any other Canadian schools. I could take those prequisite classes, but many are also part of UBC's pharmacy program (like Orgo, Biochem) and I don't want to risk lowering my average even more...it ain't too pretty as it is. You can definitely get those out of way in your 2nd year, if you are confident you will do okay in them.

I'm finding it somewhat difficult to find a pharmacy that is open to having a volunteer, in the Vancouver area. From what I've read, the general rule around here is that pharmacies in big box grocers (Safeway, Save-On, and such) are less likely to take volunteers than independently owned shops.

I thought I was pretty close to getting a part-time job at an independent pharmacy/health food store, but then they told me that they only wanted someone who was currently in school. Man, it isn't easy but I'm sure you will be able to secure a volunteer or work position if you are persistent. There are so many more opportunities to work as a pharm tech (without having to take the pharm tech course) in Ontario and Quebec...I guess Vancouver (and suburbs) is a small town in comparison, so fewer opportunities.

I read somewhere that UBC will be taking even more students in 2012 up to 2014 I think, but perhaps there won't be such a large increase in seats as from 2010 to 2011 (77 more seats next year, hurrah!).

Good luck with everything, and maybe you will get into Phys 101 next term after all if you stay on the waitlist...I had an excellent prof for Phys 101 a couple years back, Dr. Eldridge. He's a super patient and and sometimes hilarious British guy.

Last edited:
Hey yeah, thanks.
Yeah well I'm not on the wait list either for Phys101, but whatevs, I plan on taking in the summer and applying for BScPharm sometime in the 2011/2012 cycle. I definitely think that not applying first year will give me plenty of time to consolidate my grades and PCAT prep, EC, NAQs, references, whatever.

Oh well it's a long and drawn out process but worth the wait I guess... slow and steady wins the race.

Wow UBC microbio! You are so sweet. My email address is [email protected]

Thank you so much in advance :)

no worries. feel free to pass it on.

I only have a couple pages on my computer, the rest is a hard copy, so it'll take me a while to scan it into my comp, if you don't mind waiting. :)

Hey everyone,

Is anyone is the UBC Pre-pharmacy club? I'm interested in joining and would like more information about them. Will they be represented during Clubs day? Their website is kind of out of date...

Ya, they are always there during Clubs Days which is sometime in September, so you can sign up then. I think there is a small membership fee of about $7 for PCAT practice sheet copies. I got an e-mail from them saying they are looking for executive members, and I can forward it to you if you're interested!

I'm only a first year though, so I'm not sure if they would take me as an exec since I know practically nothing. There's no harm in trying though! I'm going to pm you my email.

do you suggest just talking to Margaret UBC Microbi?

About the lab coat? To be honest I'm not sure if she is the right person to contact about this issue. Perhaps your lab instructor?

As a practicing pharmacist in Vancouver area for 20 years, I have some practical advice for those of you in the program and for those planning to apply to the profession.

There is a dramatic shift in the profession. No longer are you expected to count, lick or pour. The profession is turning to more clinical aspects such as med reviews, giving injections, adaptations on prescriptions. The counting and typing is being taken over by regulated techs.

For the next few years the demand for new grads will be less.
Gov't intervention, changes in legislation will require fewer pharmacists in the near future for the next 10 years. Unfortunately, the university is ramping its enrollment.

For those who may consider what I am saying as inaccurate, I urge you to talk to pharmacists that are currently working and speak to the big chains and see how many job offers they are offering. Anyways not everything is bleak, the profession is very rewarding and you do not have to have a great pcat, as others have mentioned. Your GPA, and your interview skills are the most important aspect along with your extra-curricular activities.

I base this on being an interviewer at UBC and being an SPEP instructor for 3rd and 4th year students.

As a practicing pharmacist in Vancouver area for 20 years, I have some practical advice for those of you in the program and for those planning to apply to the profession.

There is a dramatic shift in the profession. No longer are you expected to count, lick or pour. The profession is turning to more clinical aspects such as med reviews, giving injections, adaptations on prescriptions. The counting and typing is being taken over by regulated techs.

Gov't intervention, changes in legislation will require fewer pharmacists in the near future for the next 10 years. Unfortunately, the university is ramping its enrollment.

For those who may consider what I am saying as inaccurate, I urge you to talk to pharmacists that are currently working and speak to the big chains and see how many job offers they are offering. Anyways not everything is bleak, the profession is very rewarding and you do not have to have a great pcat, as others have mentioned. Your GPA, and your interview skills are the most important aspect along with your extra-curricular activities.

I base this on being an interviewer at UBC and being an SPEP instructor for 3rd and 4th year students.
:(

I agree completely with what you said. Change is coming and it's going to take time to adjust.

It's interesting you are mentioning the big chains....From what I remember of the recruitment sessions they did from Sept to Oct last year, it was Save-On-Foods 6, Safeway 10-12, London Drugs 6-12, Drugstore was around 6 as well. Basically nobody (and I'm including Rexall, Shoppers in here as well) projected hiring more than 10 new grads...............

Needless to say, those sessions resulted in some degrees of stress at the time. I think right now this year's class is doing okay though. People are finding jobs.......just maybe not full-time ones in GVRD. As for future students, my advice would be: work hard in school and network hard at work. And if it came down to it, be prepared to go work somewhere else in the province.

were ubc pharm interview invites for this year given out already?

were ubc pharm interview invites for this year given out already?

Yep they came out last week.
P.S. I know who you are ksksks kkkkk. Maybe you can guess who I am judging from my username.

Hey guys,

I was offered an interview and was just wondering how I can start preparing for it.
Is anyone interested in making a practice group to start preparing for MMI questions. If so, PM me or email me at [email protected].

I think probably 30+ ppl already said this but I got in!! :D I thought for sure I fudged up my interviews cause I was so stumped in one of the questions but yay! :D congrats to everyone! And for the ppl that went to the Saturday mock mmi every week and slaved away with the questions....we earned this!!