UBC Pre-pharmacy 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks you guys, I got the email around 11 am today. I just accepted the offer on SSC, but I can't pay the registration fee yet and do not know when my reg date is either.

Well if you look at the STTs, there are still spaces left so don't be discouraged.
Thanks for your positive words,I am so stoked for you !! I am still keeping my fingers crossed and doing alot of praying haha!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone know how i can get into FNH200? i thought supposedly pharmacy students get priority but right now i am on the waiting list. who can i talk to to get in the class?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats!!!!

I got in off wait list... check your emails wait list people!!

So... I'm supposed to wait until getting the acceptance letter in the mail before I can register with the college?? But it says they take 20 business days to register someone... is there enough time?? am I freaking out?

hey, just another question!

when we send in the applciation to the college, it mentions that we need to provide primary and secondary ID. however, it said that if it's a photocopy, we need it to issued by the issuing party...does that mean we need to ask the government for a copy of our birth certificates or something?

thanks =)

p.s. stt problem solved! my grandma was delighted:)

Questions!!
So I have to wait until I receive the letter of acceptance in the mail before I can register w/ the college of pharmacists of BC?

and ... How do we know what textbooks we need??

when we send in the applciation to the college, it mentions that we need to provide primary and secondary ID. however, it said that if it's a photocopy, we need it to issued by the issuing party...does that mean we need to ask the government for a copy of our birth certificates or something?
For the primary and secondary ID, you just need to show a lawyer your ID's and they sign / place their seal at the bottom of that form

For the primary and secondary ID, you just need to show a lawyer your ID's and they sign / place their seal at the bottom of that form

Or a notary public maybe?

Or a notary public maybe?

hahahahaha
notary public is still ridiculously expensive
to get a verification that its REALLY me, i paid $50.

Can't you just get your family doctor to sign it?

Can't you just get your family doctor to sign it?

Ya, I'm not sure which forms your guys are talking about, but when we had to do a criminal record check for the College, I had to go to a notary. I think it was 30-40 dollars-ish

Thanks you guys, I got the email around 11 am today. I just accepted the offer on SSC, but I can't pay the registration fee yet and do not know when my reg date is either.

Well if you look at the STTs, there are still spaces left so don't be discouraged.

Hope all is falling into place for you!:) Just was wondering if you and some other recently accepted people have registered yet because I see that there are still available spots on the SSC. I'm waiting to see when they say FULL on all of the standard timetables so that I can start possibly moving on and finding a place to live for school!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hope all is falling into place for you!:) Just was wondering if you and some other recently accepted people have registered yet because I see that there are still available spots on the SSC. I'm waiting to see when they say FULL on all of the standard timetables so that I can start possibly moving on and finding a place to live for school!

Yes I just registered a couple of days ago. I don't know anyone else who got accepted from wait list so I can't say for others.

I really hope things work out for you, hang in there although I know how tough that is.

so does anyone know what address we send our application to the college of pharmacists to?

It's on the bottom of the form, if I recall correctly, it was on W 8th avenue.

so does anyone know what address we send our application to the college of pharmacists to?

It's at the bottom of each page of the app. 200-1765 West 8th Ave, Vancouver, V6J 5C6. I'm thinking of just dropping it off there since I pass by it on the way to school.

For the white coat ceremony, does anyone know if we get to keep the white coats that we're given? :laugh:

Edit:
Also, where and when is it? And number of guests?...

For the white coat ceremony, does anyone know if we get to keep the white coats that we're given? :laugh:

Edit:
Also, where and when is it? And number of guests?...

lol, yes you get to keep the coat (sorry!). It is the coat you must wear for the labs. You also get a name tag with your name and the UBC crest. Both are yours to keep. I don't quite remember if there is a separate fee for the coat/name tag, or it it is included in some other fee.

I think 2, but don't quote me on that.

Edit:

According to the facebook page, it's on Thurs Sept 9th from 5-7 pm. In past years it has been held in the Life Sciences Centre atrium, so I'm assuming that's where it will be this year.

http://www.maps.ubc.ca/PROD/index_detail.php?locat1=529

PS check out the homepage of UBC.ca http://www.ubc.ca/

The picture (pic 1/6) is from the pharmacy ground breaking ceremony yesterday! The Asian guy on the right is Herb Wong, the president of Phus (Pharmacy undergrad student society)

Last edited:
Yes I just registered a couple of days ago. I don't know anyone else who got accepted from wait list so I can't say for others.

I really hope things work out for you, hang in there although I know how tough that is.

Yes, thanks a lot! It is tough, but I'm still hopeful. I see the SSC isn't full yet. I guess I'll see monday or tuesday if it has in fact filled up !!!

Last edited:
Regarding the application for the College of BC Pharmacists, we require a "copy of letter from UBC confirming registration with Faculty of Pharmacy."
I was wondering if we are supposed to photocopy the letter we received in the mail, or print off the letter of acceptance from the SSC?

Regarding the application for the College of BC Pharmacists, we require a "copy of letter from UBC confirming registration with Faculty of Pharmacy."
I was wondering if we are supposed to photocopy the letter we received in the mail, or print off the letter of acceptance from the SSC?

I'm thinking that's more of a verification of enrolement that you get from the nice folks at brock hall

I'm thinking that's more of a verification of enrolement that you get from the nice folks at brock hall

I think its sufficient to use the verification of enrolment letter off of the SSC as well. I hope so because I just sent it in the mail today. Oh well lol.

Anyone looking for a female roommate this coming year? I'm looking to get a place near campus. Please pm if you are! :)

i'm in off the wait list

thanks SDN for all the support. i've been lurking these boards since 2008 and i'm glad to say i finally got in. definitely wasn't easy.

i'll give you a run down of my stats for future use:

i feel that i'm definitely an underdog

GPA: 73.4%
PCAT: 84%
EC: above average
interview: probably good

i'm in province and i don't live in interior BC

i didn't think i was going to get in to be honest but i'm definitely one of those rare cases where GPA doesn't always give you the kick in the ass out of the race

i'm in off the wait list

thanks SDN for all the support. i've been lurking these boards since 2008 and i'm glad to say i finally got in. definitely wasn't easy.

i didn't think i was going to get in to be honest but i'm definitely one of those rare cases where GPA doesn't always give you the kick in the ass out of the race

CONGRATS!
I feel for you! I have similar stats and it was tough

i'm in off the wait list

WOW! CONGRATS!

My stats were slightly better than yours, but I didn't get the nod even though I thought the interview was pretty good. I came really, REALLY close though (ranked 154th, so that made me the first to be cut off), so I'm extremely encouraged to apply for the next cycle! :laugh:

i'm in off the wait list

Awesome..congrats to you !!The waiting is really tough,i bet you are soooo happy! I am still waitlisted so i am still hopeful ....I can only hope for the best birthday present ever tomorrow hahah!! Is it wishful thinking ...maybe hahah!! Be nice though, keeping my fingers crossed and doing alot of praying !! Congrats akalic !!!!!!!!!!:)

yeah best wishes to everyone who were close because i felt i was always close but not close enough and you sometimes just get the break that you really want.

if any future students want to ask me things feel free to, seeing as how i've always had my questions answered politely in the past

yeah best wishes to everyone who were close because i felt i was always close but not close enough and you sometimes just get the break that you really want.

if any future students want to ask me things feel free to, seeing as how i've always had my questions answered politely in the past
Was this your second time trying and if so..Did you rewrite your PCAT second time around..I know your GPA probably was the same going in the second time cause i am sure you already had your pre reqs done or did u do a few extra ones this past year?? Thanks for the info!!:)

yeah this was my second time. i did my pcat twice. i applied in my second and third year so i'd already done all the core courses including certain second year courses (stat, anat, micb).

I got in off the waitlist! BcPharmer I really hope you get in too. I will pray for you and hope God gives you this birthday present. Hang in there...it is the toughest thing to do but I hope it will work out for the best!

Congrats Alkalic!

Awesome..congrats to you !!The waiting is really tough,i bet you are soooo happy! I am still waitlisted so i am still hopeful ....I can only hope for the best birthday present ever tomorrow hahah!! Is it wishful thinking ...maybe hahah!! Be nice though, keeping my fingers crossed and doing alot of praying !! Congrats akalic !!!!!!!!!!:)

Anyone want to buy Dr. Collins set? I will give it for $75. It is in brand new condition.

yeah this was my second time. i did my pcat twice. i applied in my second and third year so i'd already done all the core courses including certain second year courses (stat, anat, micb).
Thanks for the info...Did you get an Email just yesterday??:)

I got in off the waitlist! BcPharmer I really hope you get in too. I will pray for you and hope God gives you this birthday present. Hang in there...it is the toughest thing to do but I hope it will work out for the best!

Congrats Alkalic!
Congrats to you also,I know the waiting is very hard !! Did you get an email yesterday ? I do have a back up plan now but it would be nice not to have to go that way haha!! I am still hopeful and praying...I wish you both all the best...Congrats and yes that would be the best Birthday present today :)hahaha!!

WOW two more people got in from wait list!! That's awesome you guys... congrats to akalic and pcatmalla! I'm so happy for both of you.

bcpharmer I really hope you can get in from waiting still, kudos to you for being patient this long.

WOW two more people got in from wait list!! That's awesome you guys... congrats to akalic and pcatmalla! I'm so happy for both of you.

bcpharmer I really hope you can get in from waiting still, kudos to you for being patient this long.
Thanks Femmefatale, I am hopeful still.Akalic and Pcatmalla did you both already register for your courses?? Just watching to see if the ssc is full..Thanks and congrats to you all ...your patience and hard work paid off...;)

yeah i found out yesterday afternoon

i can't register yet because i still can't switch programs to bscp so no i haven't signed up for the STT yet

yeah i found out yesterday afternoon

i can't register yet because i still can't switch programs to bscp so no i haven't signed up for the STT yet
Patience is all i have lately hahah!! I am still positve but this may be it ''FULL'' Then time to move on...Thanks and all the best to you!!:)

Hey guys, just checking in. Got Margaret to e-mail me my application stats. Turns out I was ranked 200, which is not bad out over over 600 applicants in my opinion... only like 47 people away from getting a seat :p. I was pretty close to this year's admission averages too, but my interview could have been a little bit better. Still waiting to hear from the U of A, but I am not that positive that I'll get pulled off the waitlist. Either way, definitely looking forward to finishing my degree and applying again next year. Hopefully I can hit it out of the park next time. Congrats to those of you on UBC's waitlist who are lucky enough to get pulled off!

P.S. Would most of you (especially re-applicants) think it is a safe assumption that if one gets an interview the first time they apply, they will likely get one next time around? :xf:

Hey guys, just checking in. Got Margaret to e-mail me my application stats. Turns out I was ranked 200, which is not bad out over over 600 applicants in my opinion... only like 47 people away from getting a seat :p. I was pretty close to this year's admission averages too, but my interview could have been a little bit better. Still waiting to hear from the U of A, but I am not that positive that I'll get pulled off the waitlist. Either way, definitely looking forward to finishing my degree and applying again next year. Hopefully I can hit it out of the park next time. Congrats to those of you on UBC's waitlist who are lucky enough to get pulled off!

P.S. Would most of you (especially re-applicants) think it is a safe assumption that if one gets an interview the first time they apply, they will likely get one next time around? :xf:

Good luck llix!! They're taking 224 people next year so you'll definitely get in!

I think that's a safe assumption (of course this is just my opinion, though)

Good luck.

highly unlikely unless you take extra courses which bring down your GPA significantly

People that used dr Colline's study kit: How helpful is it for the verbal ability sections ? Thanks for ur help

To answer any uncertainties... I called the College and yes, they said that they want the one you can print off from the SSC.

To answer any uncertainties... I called the College and yes, they said that they want the one you can print off from the SSC.
Oh thank goodness, that's the one I used. Thanks for asking them!

i'm in off the wait list

I had very similar stats too and got in this year:

GPA: 70%
PCAT: 80%
interview: nailed it
reference letters: assuming they were great
personal statements: from the heart
I'm also in province and live in the Okanagan.

My GPA was not great because I chose to party too much my first few years. I have no regrets but balance is definately the key to success. Also, practice, practice, and practice for the interview. I am naturally very confident around people (been serving/bartending in the restaurant industry for the last 8 years) but without the extra prep I did, I know that the interview wouldn't have gone as well as it did.

Extras I have:
BSc Biology
Phamacy Technician Diploma
4 months working experince as a technician
upgraded/repeated 10 pre-req courses

It's nice to know that UBC looks at more than just grades and actually looks at the individual and what they are all about.