UBC Pre-pharmacy 2010!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i had very similar stats too and got in this year:

Gpa: 70%
pcat: 80%
ec: Above average
interview: Nailed it
reference letters: Assuming they were great
personal statements: From the heart
i'm also in province and live in the okanagan.

My gpa was not great because i chose to party too much my first few years. I have no regrets but balance is definately the key to success. Also, practice, practice, and practice for the interview. I am naturally very confident around people (been serving/bartending in the restaurant industry for the last 8 years) but without the extra prep i did, i know that the interview wouldn't have gone as well as it did.

Extras i have:
Bsc biology
phamacy technician diploma
4 months working experince as a technician
upgraded/repeated 10 pre-req courses

it's nice to know that ubc looks at more than just grades and actually looks at the individual and what they are all about.

congrats! Those were really some loaded "extras" you got! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone want to take a wild (but serious) guess at how some of us managed to get waitlisted?

Myself and one of the fellow SDN user, who was ranked somewhere along the 151-153 range also got rejected, so I'm a bit puzzled as to what the Faculty might have looked for when they prepared the waitlist. Assuming our rankings were true, which are likely, I guess it could be concluded that our ranks have absolutely nothing to do with it. :confused:

Just wondering though...

Just out of curiosity, does anyone want to take a wild (but serious) guess at how some of us managed to get waitlisted?

Myself and one of the fellow SDN user, who was ranked somewhere along the 151-153 range also got rejected, so I'm a bit puzzled as to what the Faculty might have looked for when they prepared the waitlist. Assuming our rankings were true, which are likely, I guess it could be concluded that our ranks have absolutely nothing to do with it. :confused:

Just wondering though...

I think they only give you your interview ranking, not your overall ranking.

Members don't see this ad :)

Just wondering though...

I was also wondering this! I am on the waitlist, but it looks like it is filling up on the SSC! I am puzzled as to how applicants who were rejected are being given ranking in this range. I thought that close to 160 students are accepted each year, so I don't understand how this makes sense! Waitlisted people are not able to get their rankings until they are rejected, but we are able to call margaret and ask where our weaknesses are.

Last edited:
I just declined my offer 2 days ago...so congrats whoever took my spot lol

hi everyone, didn't apply this year to ubc but will be applying next year.i just have a question about courses. on the website, it lists all the pre-reqs for pharmacy but they also give us choices. if i take both of those choices, which mark will count towards my average? for example: I took BIO 112 but I'm also gonna take MICB 201 next year( I need this for my MICB major). How will they calculate my average? and if i take more than 6 credits of english, say 3 courses (9 credits) will they take the highest 2 courses' scores or average all of them? thanks!:)

hi everyone, didn't apply this year to ubc but will be applying next year.i just have a question about courses. on the website, it lists all the pre-reqs for pharmacy but they also give us choices. if i take both of those choices, which mark will count towards my average? for example: I took BIO 112 but I'm also gonna take MICB 201 next year( I need this for my MICB major). How will they calculate my average? and if i take more than 6 credits of english, say 3 courses (9 credits) will they take the highest 2 courses' scores or average all of them? thanks!:)

Hi Pch,
I sent them an email concerning this exact question before, and they said that if you end up taking two equivalent courses, both attempts will count towards your average.

Quick question, are calculators permitted during any part of the PCAT and are they provided if they are?

specifically referring to the math or chem sections

Quick question, are calculators permitted during any part of the PCAT and are they provided if they are?

specifically referring to the math or chem sections

Nope they're not allowed during any part of it.

Anyone know if our shots are covered in our student med plans?
If not, how much are they?

Anyone know if our shots are covered in our student med plans?
If not, how much are they?
Yup, they're covered. You can get them done at the student health centre in the UBC hospital.

where are you going instead?

I'm going to UofT. Its more expensive, but I think some change will be good. I honestly love BC and UBC and am going to be really sad that I'm leaving. I've seen you around these forums for a while, just wanna say on thanks for all your help! :)

Here are my stats guys

Average: 75%
PCAT: 87%
EC: 2 years as a pharm tech + a lot of extra stuff like sports etc.
Interview: I prepped lots for the MMI, and it goes to show that preparing and knowing what they're looking for at the MMI goes a long way because I did an MMI at both UofT and UBC and obviously looking at my stats I am below average, so I am confident that I did well on the MMI.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to UofT. Its more expensive, but I think some change will be good. I honestly love BC and UBC and am going to be really sad that I'm leaving. I've seen you around these forums for a while, just wanna say on thanks for all your help! :)

Here are my stats guys

Interview: I prepped lots for the MMI, and it goes to show that preparing and knowing what they're looking for at the MMI goes a long way because I did an MMI at both UofT and UBC and obviously looking at my stats I am below average, so I am confident that I did well on the MMI.

No problem :)

Best of luck with your future studies at U of T!!

Here are my stats guys

Congrats to the bright path ahead! :)

How did you prepare for your MMI? Were there any good online resources/hints that you could suggest for all of us? The major challenge of preparing for this is, I suppose most of us would agree, the fact that we couldn't even anticipate what kind of questions they would ask. Even though I think I've prepared as much as possible for the interview (eg. going through sample MMI Qs thoroughly when I goggled it up) and I felt I did pretty well, I still got an unsatisfactory mark, which is really sad and frustrating.

Thanks for any feedback! :)

I think not being able to "prepare" for it (like you do a traditional interview) is the beauty of MMI since anyone can act out their thoroughly memorized answers.

MMI pretty much just tests your critical thinking skills and you personality, so the best way (I found) to prep for MMI was just to do a bunch of reading comprehension type exercises and also by making up a bunch of random questions and practicing answering them in front of another person.

Pretty much just practice thinking and talking so you won't sound weird in front of an interviewer and just be yourself!

do we get a periodic table during the pcat or do we have to know all molecular weights as well as other details for the chem part?

thanks

Anyone want to buy Dr. Collins set? I will give it for $75. It is in brand new condition.

I sent you a private message about your Dr. Collins set!:) If pcatmalla has already sold hers, does anyone else have the Dr. Collins set? I already have the Kaplan book!

Last edited:

How did you prepare for your MMI? Were there any good online resources/hints that you could suggest for all of us? The major challenge of preparing for this is, I suppose most of us would agree, the fact that we couldn't even anticipate what kind of questions they would ask. Even though I think I've prepared as much as possible for the interview (eg. going through sample MMI Qs thoroughly when I goggled it up) and I felt I did pretty well, I still got an unsatisfactory mark, which is really sad and frustrating.

Yeah like some people have already mentioned its hard to prepare for the MMI (as in having set answers for specific interview questions). For each question you need to go through certain steps in your head before you spit out an answer. So what I did was I made up a simple system before answer each question, I always asked myself things like what are the factors/cirumstances involved, what alternatives can be provided etc. Obviously its not going to be the same for each question but I found this to be pretty effective for me before I answered each question and also found myself giving good answers and getting really good responses and follow up questions from the interviewee (remember the follow up questions aren't always from list they're given, they're allowed to ask you a question they think up on the spot). The most important thing is to know ethics like the back of your hand, and try to read up on ethical medical cases because they can be used to provide good examples in your answers. The most important thing is to practice, and to practice utilizing your 2 minutes to read/think about your answer. As for practice questions just look for medical sample MMI questions, and pick the ones that are specifically orientated for strictly doctors.

Yeah like some people have already mentioned its hard to prepare for the MMI (as in having set answers for specific interview questions). For each question you need to go through certain steps in your head before you spit out an answer. So what I did was I made up a simple system before answer each question, I always asked myself things like what are the factors/cirumstances involved, what alternatives can be provided etc. Obviously its not going to be the same for each question but I found this to be pretty effective for me before I answered each question and also found myself giving good answers and getting really good responses and follow up questions from the interviewee (remember the follow up questions aren't always from list they're given, they're allowed to ask you a question they think up on the spot). Know ethics like the back of your hand, and try to read up on ethical medical cases because they can be used to provide good examples in your answers. The most important thing is to practice, and to practice utilizing your 2 minutes to read/think about your answer. As for practice questions just look for medical sample MMI questions, and don't do the ones that are specifically orientated for strictly doctors.

Last edited:
I need some help!
can anyone suggest me an elective that I can take this year that still has space in it? it needs to be a pharm approve...and hopefully fits into timetable D

What I did to prepare for the MMI which I found really useful is I read a book on Pharmacy Ethics and Decision making, I read several interview books, I read some introduction to the profession books, a general canadian history book, watch the news, followed current events in Pharmacy, came up with some situational questions of my own, went around to different pharmacies and asked several pharmacists the same questions. I think it also helps to have experience working in a pharmacy. It's also a good idea to reflect on your life experiences and put together a couple stories about yourself that you think are interesting, tell alot about your character and make you different from everyone else. That way at your interview you can find ways to fit them in. I also had an MMI at UofT before my UBC interview so I feel like from having that experience I was way more prepared the second time around..
hope this helps!

to be honest,

there wasn't much in the MMI that tested your direct knowledge of the "pharmacy world"

my advice would be just to go to a pharmacy and just have a good talk with the pharmacist and technicians there and ask them what they think about the field and the future of it etc.

then just get comfortable answering generic interview questions (but DONT GET USED TO MEMORIZING THEM!!)

MMIs are designed to allow interviewers to envision you as a "future pharmacist" for 7 minutes, so it's more of how you approach problems and show you think as one, rather than spitting out what seems right of an answer without character..

reading up on ethics books and things like that are good but in my opinion it just convolutes your own personal judgement and i find you lose personality and spontaneity (it's easier to get stumped or sound more robotic).

that's just my two cents

hope that helps

Hi guys,

I just got into UBC Pharmacy school and I'm going into my 2nd year of university. I'm really overwhelmed because I realize how many courses I have to take next year. I don't think I can handle my regular pharmacy workload plus all the extra classes so I was wondering which classes it would be better to take in the summer. In addition to my standard timetable, I have to take:

ANAT 390, CHEM 233, CHEM 235, MICB 202 201, PHYL 301, STAT 203, STAT 203

Does any one have any advice on which ones to take during the summer.

Hi guys,

I just got into UBC Pharmacy school and I'm going into my 2nd year of university. I'm really overwhelmed because I realize how many courses I have to take next year. I don't think I can handle my regular pharmacy workload plus all the extra classes so I was wondering which classes it would be better to take in the summer. In addition to my standard timetable, I have to take:

ANAT 390, CHEM 233, CHEM 235, MICB 202 201, PHYL 301, STAT 203, STAT 203

Does any one have any advice on which ones to take during the summer.

A lot of us are doing that, it shouldn't be too bad.

The only ones that were offered this summer were Anat 390/391, Chem 233/235, and Micb 202. But I think you need Chem 233/235 as a corequisite for Phyl 301, so you can't take it in the summer.
I guess any of Anat 390, 391, or Micb 202 can be taken in the summer... But I'm not 100% sure about the rules. You might not be promoted to second year on time or something, but maybe someone else here has better insight.

Good luck!

A lot of us are doing that, it shouldn't be too bad.

The only ones that were offered this summer were Anat 390/391, Chem 233/235, and Micb 202. But I think you need Chem 233/235 as a corequisite for Phyl 301, so you can't take it in the summer.
I guess any of Anat 390, 391, or Micb 202 can be taken in the summer... But I'm not 100% sure about the rules. You might not be promoted to second year on time or something, but maybe someone else here has better insight.

Good luck!

I took Anat 391 in the summer after second year, and for the record I was not promoted to second year until after the course was completed, and the final grade was posted on SSC. What does that mean? You don't get to register for second year classes until the course is completed and the grade is posted to SSC. Which in the end is not that big a deal, except you'll get last pick of STT, since most of your classmates will have registered before you. Unfortunately it can be a bit frustrating, especially when the profs take their sweet time grading the final exam and posting grades. Having said that, it is much wiser to know your limits, and take a summer class and have to register late, than overwhelm yourself in first year and get crappy grades.

My course load was actually pretty light in first year pharmacy, but the reason I decided to take ANAT 391 in the summer was that after the fall semester, I felt like all I was doing was anatomy and physiology (I took ANAT 390 in the fall, and I was taking PHYL 301 too), and I wanted to focus more on the PHAR courses. (The January semester is a little more involved than the fall semester).

Hope that helps you make a decision about summer classes, and you should thank sinxcosx for doing your homework for you (you could have easily looked up which classes are offered in the summer yourself by referring to the summer 2010 calendar).

Are there any pharmacy courses that can be done in summer to lighten my course load next year?

Are there any pharmacy courses that can be done in summer to lighten my course load next year?

No (not PHAR courses). Just some of the other required courses or electives.

are there mandatory summer courses?

are there mandatory summer courses?

summer clerkships (internships, practicum, rotations, whatever you want to call it) in the summer after 2nd and 3rd year. There is nothing mandatory in the summer after 1st year.

What are ya'll wearing to the white coat ceremony?

any girls wearing dresses? i want to wear a dress but i dont want to be singled out

Also I was wondering what is PHAR 202 first day like? Do we get out early? I understand it's an orientation so would I be able to go to another one since..I have my PHAR 202 on the thursday of the day of the white coat ceremony Sept. 9th and it would be extremely tight to get off at 5 and then rush to the ceremony.

Thanks!

What are ya'll wearing to the white coat ceremony?

any girls wearing dresses? i want to wear a dress but i dont want to be singled out

People dress up in professional attire. I wore a dress and heels. A lot of girls just wore dress pants and a blouse, though. I say go for the dress, as long as it is somewhat professional/not too casual :)

I took Anat 391 in the summer after second year, and for the record I was not promoted to second year until after the course was completed, and the final grade was posted on SSC. What does that mean? You don't get to register for second year classes until the course is completed and the grade is posted to SSC. Which in the end is not that big a deal, except you'll get last pick of STT, since most of your classmates will have registered before you. Unfortunately it can be a bit frustrating, especially when the profs take their sweet time grading the final exam and posting grades. Having said that, it is much wiser to know your limits, and take a summer class and have to register late, than overwhelm yourself in first year and get crappy grades.

My course load was actually pretty light in first year pharmacy, but the reason I decided to take ANAT 391 in the summer was that after the fall semester, I felt like all I was doing was anatomy and physiology (I took ANAT 390 in the fall, and I was taking PHYL 301 too), and I wanted to focus more on the PHAR courses. (The January semester is a little more involved than the fall semester).

Hope that helps you make a decision about summer classes, and you should thank sinxcosx for doing your homework for you (you could have easily looked up which classes are offered in the summer yourself by referring to the summer 2010 calendar).

I would have to disagree with taking courses in the summer. I'm going into first year pharmacy at UBC and there is no way in hell I am taking summer classes.

Enjoy your summer people, or you're going to get burnt out over the course of your Pharm Degree. After you finish first year, your summers already get cut into with Pharm courses as is. You might have to take 6 or 7 courses per semester instead of 5 for first year, so what, is that really going to affect your GPA that much? We're not trying to get A+'s like before we got in (last time I checked, someone with an 70 average and 80 average both got their BSc Pharm). I took a trip to Van this summer and went to UBC campus for the heck of it. I actually felt bad for the kids walking from class to class stressing about their midterms/finals coming up when they could have been on the beach/working/enjoying themselves.

We're only young once, enjoy your summer because you're not going to get 4 consecutive months off again until your retire.

I would have to disagree with taking courses in the summer. I'm going into first year pharmacy at UBC and there is no way in hell I am taking summer classes.

Enjoy your summer people, or you're going to get burnt out over the course of your Pharm Degree. After you finish first year, your summers already get cut into with Pharm courses as is. You might have to take 6 or 7 courses per semester instead of 5 for first year, so what, is that really going to affect your GPA that much? We're not trying to get A+'s like before we got in (last time I checked, someone with an 70 average and 80 average both got their BSc Pharm). I took a trip to Van this summer and went to UBC campus for the heck of it. I actually felt bad for the kids walking from class to class stressing about their midterms/finals coming up when they could have been on the beach/working/enjoying themselves.

We're only young once, enjoy your summer because you're not going to get 4 consecutive months off again until your retire.

Different things work for different people. I agree that taking a full course load over the summer and not having any break at all can do more harm than good. We all need a break from school, that's for sure. But taking one summer course to lighten your load during the regular semester can really be an advantage, as far as stress etc is concerned. Again, different things work for different people. I don't think it is fair to discourage students who are considering summer classes from doing so. Summer classes can actually be pretty relaxing, if you are only taking one at a time, and campus is a lot more pleasant in the summer! You feel bad for the poor schmucks on campus in the summer, I feel bad for the poor schmucks studying for Biochem instead of pharmacology and therapeutics come midterm and final exam time.

Also there is one thing you are mistaken about "We're only young once". Some of us are already past that point, FYI.

Again, not saying students SHOULD take summer classes, but it is a good option for some students. If you've got other plans for your summer, great, but other people have different priorities. I was simply describing how summer classes work for those who asked.

Different things work for different people. I agree that taking a full course load over the summer and not having any break at all can do more harm than good. We all need a break from school, that's for sure. But taking one summer course to lighten your load during the regular semester can really be an advantage, as far as stress etc is concerned. Again, different things work for different people. I don't think it is fair to discourage students who are considering summer classes from doing so. Summer classes can actually be pretty relaxing, if you are only taking one at a time, and campus is a lot more pleasant in the summer! You feel bad for the poor schmucks on campus in the summer, I feel bad for the poor schmucks studying for Biochem instead of pharmacology and therapeutics come midterm and final exam time.

Also there is one thing you are mistaken about "We're only young once". Some of us are already past that point, FYI.

Again, not saying students SHOULD take summer classes, but it is a good option for some students. If you've got other plans for your summer, great, but other people have different priorities. I was simply describing how summer classes work for those who asked.

What I said wasn't intended to offend anyone, it was merely said to warn students about the cons of taking summer classes.

I was trying to point out that atleast for the summer between first and second year, students should value the 4 months off they are given; it doesn't matter if you're 20, 30, or 40. I can speak through experience and vicariously through friends that spring/summer classes are not fun or relaxing. We all know that it sucks having homework and studying on the back of your mind when you're deciding if you want to do something fun, social, etc.

Every student in pharmacy can handle a full load and then some, or they wouldn't be there. If you want to spend your summer studying Biochem or other courses, then that's your decision. I know that I need my spring and summer to unwind and recoup from the stressful school year.

Anyways, students will do what they want. These boards are up to give insight and feedback on various topics, I hope I accomplished that.

Here's my 2 cents about taking Biochem during second year: yeah it was hard to juggle during exam time, and my grades did suffer somewhat, but you know what, there was still time for two part-time jobs and to have fun. It really depends on the person.

Besides, no matter what people choose to do during the first two years, once everyone survives third year, they will probably look back and think: man, that was such a breeze, what the heck was I worried about.....:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

(last time I checked, someone with an 70 average and 80 average both got their BSc Pharm).

Is there a minimum average percentile (other than the 60% course average stated on the UBC Calendar) that's needed to attain a B.Sc Pharm (Aside from the licensing examinations and etc)? Someone please enlighten me, thanks!

Is there a minimum average percentile (other than the 60% course average stated on the UBC Calendar) that's needed to attain a B.Sc Pharm (Aside from the licensing examinations and etc)? Someone please enlighten me, thanks!

This is off the academic regulations link from the Pharmacy website:

To be promoted, a student in the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences must pass all of the required courses of the program year in which the student is registered and obtain a minimum average standing of 60% in the required courses of the program year in which the student is registered.
The following notes apply to these requirements:

• Required courses are used for this computation (elective courses are excluded). Failure in elective courses requires that the course be repeated, or an approved alternative course be taken.
  • A student who by these regulations is not promotable may be required to repeat the work of that year or to withdraw from the Faculty and will not be able to take any of the required courses of subsequent years.
  • A student who fails to meet promotion standards for a second time, either in a repeated year or a subsequent year, will normally be required to withdraw from the Faculty.
  • Courses for which credit has not been obtained must be repeated (permissible substitutes taken) in the next regular session attended. In the Winter Session, the total for all courses taken may not exceed 41 credits, except with approval of the Dean.
  • A student with failed standing in more than 6 credits, although not permitted to register in the higher year, may be allowed to continue by registering in the lower year and taking courses in accordance with the previous notes.

You also have to pass every SPEP placement and pass all licensing exams.

This is off the academic regulations link from the Pharmacy website:

To be promoted, a student in the Faculty of Pharmaceutical Sciences must pass all of the required courses of the program year in which the student is registered and obtain a minimum average standing of 60% in the required courses of the program year in which the student is registered.
The following notes apply to these requirements:

• Required courses are used for this computation (elective courses are excluded). Failure in elective courses requires that the course be repeated, or an approved alternative course be taken.
  • A student who by these regulations is not promotable may be required to repeat the work of that year or to withdraw from the Faculty and will not be able to take any of the required courses of subsequent years.
  • A student who fails to meet promotion standards for a second time, either in a repeated year or a subsequent year, will normally be required to withdraw from the Faculty.
  • Courses for which credit has not been obtained must be repeated (permissible substitutes taken) in the next regular session attended. In the Winter Session, the total for all courses taken may not exceed 41 credits, except with approval of the Dean.
  • A student with failed standing in more than 6 credits, although not permitted to register in the higher year, may be allowed to continue by registering in the lower year and taking courses in accordance with the previous notes.

Does this <60% usually happen to anybody, or is it super rare?

Does this <60% usually happen to anybody, or is it super rare?

I'd say its pretty rare. The vast majority of students who get into pharmacy have no trouble getting above this average. I think it is more common that someone fails a year due to failing one course compared to not reaching the 60% overall threshold. That being said, it does happen occasionally. Personally, there hasn't been one class where I have finished with less than 70%.

Just a quick question. I've talked to a few people in pharmacy schools and i didnt realize how travelling could also be something you could slap into your extra curricular application for some small bonus marks.

What does travelling show about the applicant?

Just a quick question. I've talked to a few people in pharmacy schools and i didnt realize how travelling could also be something you could slap into your extra curricular application for some small bonus marks.

What does travelling show about the applicant?

I would think it would only be relevant if you did volunteering while traveling. Otherwise I don't really see how it would help your application.

so we do have pharm class on tuesday the 7th, but do we have to go to non pharm classes like ochem?

is the name tag purchase mandatory for $10-the lab directors didnt email us about it?

is the name tag purchase mandatory for $10-the lab directors didnt email us about it?

Yes. A nametag and labcoat must be worn during all pharmacy practice labs as well as during SPEP rotations.

so we do have pharm class on tuesday the 7th, but do we have to go to non pharm classes like ochem?
No, you don't have to go to ochem because it's a faculty of science course, and science gets the day off, at least I'm pretty sure.