UC Berkeley Osteopathic Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sean

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
No we don't have one, but we should. Any other Berkeley people out there interested? A few other members of the SDN have offered to help if we need it.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a Cal alum (1994) and would be willing to help. See if you can include a special lecture as part of IDS 130 (is that class still around?)--I remember a lot of premeds took that class in my day. The premed advisors used to not be very supportive of Berkeley premeds applying to D.O. schools when I was there.

Go Bears!

Thanks Drusso. I have noticed that you always take the time to answer posts very thoughtfully and I appreciate that. I gretfully accept your offer and I will be in touch. As far as advising goes we now have an actual pre-med advisor, Pattie Meyer, and she is great. I think I was the first to approach her about osteopathy but she spent over an hour and a half with me the first time and has really gone out of her way to learn more about the field. She has agreed to help set up the club and give us any support she can. I hope to have a pilot of this club going in the Fall.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sean,

I'm here and fellow pre-SOMA chapters in Southern Cali are here to support you. Just let me know when you're ready.

Just to let you know, we now have chapter at UCSD, SDSU, and UCLA. USC will hopefully have theirs ready soon. Our SOMA outreach committee at COMP have been to UCSD and UCLA to give presentations on osteopathy and OMM (I do the OMM demonstrations) and we'd be happy to come and see you as well.

Arnold
WESTERN U/COMP CLASS OF 2004
FOUNDER PRE-SOMA: UCSD CHAPTER

Thanks. I am going out of town for a couple of weeks but I will contact you for some suggestions when I get back. Sean.

I'm a fellow Cal student and would love to start up an osteopathic club/organization on campus! We could include a speaker in the IDS 130 class or the IB integrative medicine class! Keep me informed.

Hope you guys do this. Mills College has some students that cross-register at your campus. I know that they have established a relationship with Western University and Touro University as a feeder school. You might want to include them, too, in your club. The best way to contact them would be through the head of their post-bacc premed program. The old science department head at Mills is very pro-DO.

Thanks for the Mill's College info, great idea. I will be working on this idea through the summer in conjunction with a pre-med Decal class that I am working on. I will let you know more info as things gel. I will be working with TOURO and our own counseling office directly and hopefully other schools also. Sean.

I am reviving this post in case there are any other Berkeley pre Osteopaths who are interested in starting a pre-SOMA club. I have started the process and contacted SOMA about starting a chapter. I am also interested in hearing from others who have been a part of a pre-SOMA organization. Was the affiliation benificial in more than name only? Any helpful tips?