UC Berkeley Undergrad GPA 3.0

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dfung

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How hardlined are they about this?

I graduated from Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo w/ a General Engineering degree focusing in on Computers. 2.8 GPA and I have 5 pre-req classes to go.

I was going to put a lot of emphasis in working at an optometrist's office, and doing well on the pre-reqs and OAT. Mathematically i can never reach a 3.0, even if got all 'A's on the remaining 5 pre-req classes.

Would Berkeley just toss my application as soon as they saw it?

If so, that's rather depressing. :(

Members don't see this ad.

they won't toss it.. especially with a hard major like engineering... but it's going to depend A LOT on your OAT scores.

I'd definitely choose backup schools. I had a 3.2+ and good (340) OAT and didn't make the cut.

Hi dfung:

A 3.0 is the minimum accepted GPA according to the application but there are a few students accepted each year who are under that.

The application pool has been quite difficult the last few years since Berkeley has been increasing the number of students who are accepted early. I would say that for my entering class of 2003, there were approximately 25 students pre-accepted to fill a class size of 60. For the entering class of 2004, the associate dean has told me that 50% were pre-accepted.

Cal Poly SLO is a tough school especially in the engineering department so I'm sure the committee will take that into consideration. We have a few engineer majors here including one who was working on his Ph.D. at Stanford before he changed his mind. A friend in my class graduated with an engineering degree so it's not uncommon.

I'm not sure if Berkeley will toss your application right away, but you really need to make yourself stand out in other areas. If your OAT scores are stellar and you have a few years of volunteer experience in an optometry office and other vision related volunteer experience that will help you get that interview.

I was accepted with a 3.2 GPA and just so-so OAT scores, but my application was really focused on my extracurricular activities and volunteer experience.

If you need some more guidance, contact Sharmila or Dr. Alberto Ledesma at the student affairs office: 510-642-9537

If you are applying for the entering class of 2005, remember the deadline is a bit earlier at Berkeley than other schools (December 15, 2004).

Good luck!

Best wishes,

Rosanna

dfung said:
How hardlined are they about this?

I graduated from Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo w/ a General Engineering degree focusing in on Computers. 2.8 GPA and I have 5 pre-req classes to go.

I was going to put a lot of emphasis in working at an optometrist's office, and doing well on the pre-reqs and OAT. Mathematically i can never reach a 3.0, even if got all 'A's on the remaining 5 pre-req classes.

Would Berkeley just toss my application as soon as they saw it?

If so, that's rather depressing. :(

i say just send it in