UC (California) Post bac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,
just to update some people! I called in to Saundra Kirk the other day to ask about my application status and she said they were going to offer me an interview! My interview is on May 19th, does anyone know what questions they ask at the face to face interview? =[
 
Hey guys,
just to update some people! I called in to Saundra Kirk the other day to ask about my application status and she said they were going to offer me an interview! My interview is on May 19th, does anyone know what questions they ask at the face to face interview? =[

Hey congrats on the interview. I sent her an email a while back asking about that. Maybe I will give her a call. Good Luck with the interview.
 
I called UCLA on Thursday to ask them a question then I decided to ask about the status of my application. The guy on the phone said that my file was in the director's office and that the director was in the middle of the interview and asked if he could call me later. Since I had to go to work I said never mind.
Now I kinda want to call back to know. Is my file being in the director's office good news and how nice are the people at UCLA?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi guys

I just wanted to let the people who have not heard back from any of the schools know that there is hope! i got an e-mail on thursday from UCSD about an interview. I submotted my application pretty early; my application was complete in early march but my supplemental info for UCSD was received in early april.

Also, can anyone else give more info on the phone-interviews? it would be really helpful. Thank you!!
 
Hey FUTURE DOCS,

Heard back from UCD last week... interviewed this past Saturday. VERY casual and NICE people. Emailed UCSF and UCSD earlier today... plan to call UCI tomorrow...

Application via CONSORTIUM was completed early APRIL.

GOOD LUCK everyone! PRESEVERENCE is KEY!!!
 
hey anyone! did anyone get a call or e-mail about an interview from UCI or UCD yet??? =[ I applied there on April 2nd.. No hear back yet
 
I called UCLA today for the status of my application. The guy on the phone said that I'm in their data base and my file is still being reviewed.
Anyone know UCLA's procedure? Should I consider this bad news already?

Also has anyone had any success reaching UCD? Everytime I call it's an answering machine. I left one message but she never replied. That was months ago.
 
UCD called me last week to schedule an interview. They will be at UCI doing interviews at the end of the month. So hopefully some of you guys will be getting calls. I interviewed at UCLA almost two weeks ago, haven't heard back. Interviewed at UCLA/Drew this past week, went very well. I have one more interview scheduled for UCSF. I haven't heard from UCI or UCSD, my applications was complete April 16 hope this helps...
 
are all the post bacs the same? Anyone know which are best? For some reason I feel like UCLA is, but that is by no means an educated guess. I would love to hear others opinions, thanks!

Oh, and i guess what i mean is, which is best for linkage? Since we all will have the same MCAT prep and be at different institutions doing classes, but which programs keep there students there or at other UCs for med school.
 
Just a few questions:

has anyone heard anything from UCD? and has UCSD finished their interviewing stage?

If anyone has any info please post, thanks!
 
Well i had my interview at UCSF last week and they told me they will let people know by the end of this month. Also I believe most post baccs are the same. UCSF has had their program for about 10 years now while UCLA/Drew just started this year. I am not sure about all the other UCs but yea maybe that helps.
 
thanks for the info, anyone else have an opinion about UCSF versus Drew/UCLA or other UCLA programs?
 
I hear the UC post baccs are amazing. Congratulations to all you guys who got acceptances! Does anyone know if they allow anyone into ANY of the UC programs that doesn't come from a disadvantaged background? Thanks, and congratulations. 👍
 
As far as I know, no they don't allow anyone that is not disadvantaged into the program. =( They are aware that those who come from disadvantaged backgrounds are more likely to care for that demographic than those who are not from a disadvantaged background. California is changing it is extremely important that we diversify medicine, both culturally and economically. And thanks for the congrats!!! I'm super excited!! Anyone else going to Drew?

Here's some info:
UCLA RAP called me today to offer a spot, I interviewed the week of the 5th so anyone else that interviewed that week should be hearing back from them soon. Good luck guys.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
UCLA (not the DREW portion) RAP is the only one that I know of that had guaranteed interview at UCLA DGSOM if you get a certain gpa and the MCAT they set for you. Also, since DGSOM's app process for disadvantaged goes through a subcommittee, your app gets examined by the people who decided to take you under their wing in the postbacc. Obviously this is only good if you do well. Also, the transcript for your classes have the UCLA name on them whereas the UCSF postbacc's classes have SFSU's name on the transcript. I believe drew goes through a nearby cal state (not sure about this though). I don't know how much that really means, but I was advised to go to UCLA vs. UCSF for the class quality reasons and the interview although UCSF is a year or so more established and the medical school may have a slightly higher rep.
 
But UCLA (not Drew) is only reapplicants. You think UCSF is a good choice for 1st time applicants over UCLA/Drew?
 
I think they are all great programs and that they together i think have over an 85% matriculation rate into med school after participating in the programs. I really liked the directors at UCSF when I interviewed. I don't know specifics about anything but UCLA, so I could not even compare the programs on a fair level. My reasons for picking ucla vs ucsf were based on my mentor's opinions (him being a UCLA emergency medicine professor), and my financial stability of already having a job in LA and my little brothers living near me (my mom lives out of state, so I would have been completely abandoning them or making them move). But, I know all the programs would be very beneficial to your application (re-app or 1st time). I'm sorry I don't know more.
 
Hey Future Docs,

Just curious... for those who interviewed with UC DAVIS... have you guys/gals heard back from them yet? Does anyone know when we can expect to hear back from them? During my interview they said end of LAST WEEK. Maybe they're still interviewing? BTW, heard that UC DAVIS's program TAKES SUPER CARE of their students... and that its the BEST program out there. But again thats heresay... and I SAY make the best of what you may be dealt with... may it be acceptance to one of the UC's or YOUR own post bacc. program. Either way... just make sure you're positively truckin' along.

GOOD LUCK!!!
 
I got into UCSF. So they are letting people know now about acceptances. I hope to see some of you guys out there!
 
Hey guys. Congrats to those already accepted into their programs! I was wondering if anyone knows when is the latest date UCD, UCSF and UCLA/DREW will give out interview invites? Or have they already passed? I'm getting really anxious given that it's already late May and about to be June and I haven't heard back from them in a long ass time. Here's to hoping!
 
Hey guys. Congrats to those already accepted into their programs! I was wondering if anyone knows when is the latest date UCD, UCSF and UCLA/DREW will give out interview invites? Or have they already passed? I'm getting really anxious given that it's already late May and about to be June and I haven't heard back from them in a long ass time. Here's to hoping!

Well I believe UCSF's interviews are over since they said they dont do rolling admissions and had all their interviews at one time. As for UCD and UCLA/Drew I am not sure. The deadline for UCLA/Drew is June 1st so I believe they havent finished their interviews but dont quote me on that. You should really try giving them a call.
 
Hey FUTURE DOCS,

Just spoke to the coordinator at DAVIS... they are scheduled to have their final selection meeting tomorrow... and will let ALL students know by the end of this week.

Keeping my fingers crossed for myself and ALL!

GOOD LUCK!!! 😀
 
Eileen from UCI just called me 5 minutes ago and offered me a position! So I guess I'll be seeing you guys there! =)
 
Hey guys just to update you all, I got rejected from UCSF after the interview.. UCI and UCD never even called me for an interview.. and UCSD placed me on the alternate list! =] Has anyone else been placed on this list?!?! any questions PM me =]
 
can people who have been accepted please post bare minimum stats because i am interested i applying next year.
 
I'm on the alternate list for UCSF and UCSD. I doubt I'll get in so I'm going to do an informal postbac at SJSU. Congrats to those who made it and best of luck to everyone. =]
 
hey all, i just withdrew my spot from UCSF, i got accepted to med school, good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
can people who have been accepted please post bare minimum stats because i am interested i applying next year.

My overall GPA is a 3.4
My science is a 3.2
However, over the last 4 semesters my GPA average was 3.7 so I had a consistent upward trend.
My MCAT was terrible, below the national average. (That's what I need help with!)

I was offered interviews at UCLA, UCLA/Drew, UCSF, and UCD.

I interviewed at UCLA and Drew, got into both so I skipped the NorCal interviews, no offense but I'm not a fan. =)

Hope that helps.
 
Hey Future Docs,

Degrees: B.S. in Physiology and M.S. in Physiology and Behavioral Biology
One Publication FIRST AUTHOR
Undergraduate overall GPA: 3.00
Undergraduate BCPM: 2.90
Graduate overal GPA: 3.87
Graduate BCPM: 3.82
Years of clinical volunteering
Years of teaching experience at the college level
Taken MCAT 2x (struggling)

Interviewed at UCD and rejected YESTERDAY via email. Will be spending the summer teaching Biology and applying to medical school (FIRST TIME).

CONGRATS to those who got accepted... your likelihood of getting into medical school is 6x greater!!! 👍

And for the rest of us... PERSEVERANCE is KEY... if you want to go to medical school you shall go to medical school!!! 😍

GOOD LUCK!!!
 
Have anyone gotten into both Davis & UCLA... and is planning on going to UCLA instead of Davis? Good luck to everyone!
 
Have anyone gotten into both Davis & UCLA... and is planning on going to UCLA instead of Davis? Good luck to everyone!
 
I got my degree at CSULB this spring and was accepted to both UCLA and UCLA/Drew post-baccs. I accepted UCLA/Drew and was planning on returning to CSULB in the fall for classes, however, I am now being told that they are not accepting post-bacc students except nursing and engineering students AND the deadline for the fall already passed. Does anyone know anything about this or how we are going to get around this? Help!!! I'm worried!
 
For any of the UC post-bacc programs, do you apply to med school during the program or after the program is over?
 
So are all of you who are applying to UC post-bacc programs at some sort of disadvantage?

Do you really have to be at some sort of disadvantage to apply?

I tried to find an answer to this elsewhere on the forum, but had no luck.

I'd appreciate any responses.