UC Davis FM = toxic?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

imperfection

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I've now had two separate UC Davis fourth years that I met on the interview trail recommend staying away from their FM program because it's "toxic" (based on their experiences rotating there). Add to that the review from a UC Davis resident on sdn's "Scutwork" residency review site which also describes the program as toxic, and I'm starting to see a trend... Can anyone here provide additional insight?

My dilemma is that I will be in the middle of an audition rotation at my #1 program when my UC Davis interview is scheduled (that was the only date I could fit in my schedule...). I'm trying to decide if it's worth missing a day and a half of that rotation to interview at a program that sounds like it has a pretty negative culture. On paper, the Davis program appears to be right up my alley given the FMOB option but that doesn't mean anything if the culture's bad.

Even if I go interview and like everyone I meet, I'm not sure I'll trust my experiences from one day over the experiences of students and a resident with more exposure there. Thus, I'm reaching out to the sdn community to see if that sample of three people is representative of the general view of those familiar with the program. If you've spent some time there, I'd love any insight you can share. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.