UC Davis Housing...how long should I wait?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
S

Smile'n'Wink MD

Hi Everyone:

I've been accepted into UC Davis, but I'm still waiting for a post-interview decision from my #1 choice UCLA. I won't hear back from them at the very latest, end of April. Should I look for housing in the Davis area now or wait till the end of April.

I heard Davis has <1% vacancy :idea: so I need to get going ASAP...should I?

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

start looking now to get a feel for the area and to see where you would like to live.

if you want your own 2/3/4 bedroom place and intend on finding people to fill up the rooms, you're probably out of luck by now. most houses for rent are also probably gone. however, there are ALWAYS vacancies for people needing a roommate or two, all the way until school starts...you just might not have as nice a selection the closer you get to september. the best thing to do is to check the classifieds in the college newspaper, the aggie (www.californiaaggie.com)...i dont know if they post rentals online though, might just have to call and ask for a subscription. if you have no luck with that, try the town newspaper (www.davisenterprise.com), or www.davishousing.com.

and there is always an available studio or two floating around. you just might have to call like all 100 apartment complexes in davis to find it though.

and i suggest living in north davis. its probably got the least traffic, best nearby stores, and the quickest route to the medical building.

good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, just so you know, April 1 is a BIG housing-hunting day in Davis b/c King Properties puts out their rentals list for th fall. I think you can look up their info online.

Worse comes to worse, you can always find a friend to crash with for the first quarter and then take over the lease of a desireable place vacated by a senior graduating in December. The papers always have sublet listings.

I'm planning on getting a 2-bedroom and seeing if someone will rent one of the rooms just for Fall quarter, until my husband can join me. If a fellow Davis med student-to-be is in need of such a place, pm me.

I got into Davis med in August of 2000. I didn't have any problems finding a one bedroom apartment. I think you will be fine, even if you wait until summmer. If you have any other questions, pm me. By the way, UCD is a great place to go to med school!