UC DENVER Rejection Thread!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ddsindamaking

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yes i got a rejection letter today! My interview went superb but messed up with the prep! So I was pretty much expecting it!!!

The fact that i got an interview was a big achievement in itself! It was a great learning experience but wasnt meant to be! So all of you who didnt make it, never ever give up!!!Get up and fight back!!! We will make it and we will make soon!!IA!:D

Members don't see this ad.

Yes i got a rejection letter today! My interview went superb but messed up with the prep! So I was pretty much expecting it!!!

The fact that i got an interview was a big achievement in itself! It was a great learning experience but wasnt meant to be! So all of you who didnt make it, never ever give up!!!Get up and fight back!!! We will make it and we will make soon!!IA!:D

DDSindamaking

I'm sorry to hear about that, but thank you for sharing your experience.

I actually felt the same about my interview. I had a nice conversation with interviewers, but prep was fare or kinda poor. Which round of interview were you in? I was in the June 11th round. And when did you receive the email?

I wish you best of luck in your other applications and exams. May your dream come true soon.:luck:

DDSindamaking

I'm sorry to hear about that, but thank you for sharing your experience.

I actually felt the same about my interview. I had a nice conversation with interviewers, but prep was fare or kinda poor. Which round of interview were you in? I was in the June 11th round. And when did you receive the email?

I wish you best of luck in your other applications and exams. May your dream come true soon.:luck:

Dr Sugar... Thank you for the wishes, really sweet of you :) Well i was in the first round and i got the email today!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr Sugar... Thank you for the wishes, really sweet of you :) Well i was in the first round and i got the email today!!
hi dds in the making,same here , 7th may batch
i also got rejected, although i dont want to be but still I am dejected!i know i messed up prep, but the sugar coated rejectionletter always has some adverse effect on me, i should be used to it by now! the 9th tym!

@ dr sugar??

did u recieve anythg??

@aims

u hav a v good chance in the comin cycle...with part1 and 2 cleared i thnk u are ready to fight bk..IA

@ dr sugar??

did u recieve anythg??

@aims

u hav a v good chance in the comin cycle...with part1 and 2 cleared i thnk u are ready to fight bk..IA

No, I havent heard anything from them yet. I was in the third round. Do you know anybody from June 11th received any emails or calls?

no actually all who got emails were frm 7th and 21st may batches...dont worry..

frm wat i knw yesterday all those who got emails had either broken the green stick or nicked the adjacent tooth...

It seems like everybody feels really good about their interviews (the talking part)

I havent got any news yet, but from expereince of rejection from one dental school last year, everybody facing rejection, Please dont lose hope, consider yourself lucky to have the experience of an interview as well as a bench test in the beginning of the new cycle. Ones who have had this as a first time experience of an interview, I am sure you gotta know how things are like. The fact that you are getting an interview call means that till the time you are on paper, admission comittee likes you and wants to know about you more, the difference comes what you did on the interview, just search and hunt fiercely by yourself, the tips of good interview giving, improve improve improve your practical skills, its neeeds a lottttttt of practice, US schools DO NOT COMPROMISE ON SKILLS QUALITY. YOU HAVE TO MEET THE EXPECTATIONS OF THIS BEST HIGHEST QUALITY DEVELOPED COUNTRY OF THE WORLD. Thats why USA is a topmost country. Self introspect how you have to cover up the gap between the level of dentistry taught to you in your country and USA. Mine country is like Hundres years behind that quality which thrives in USA. You have to jump this hundred year difference in your profession to be able to get accepted. Take this interview as an expereince , jort down the points. Remember that if they need 90 degree cavosurface angle it has to be 90 degrees not 89 not 91 degress . if the depth is 1.5 mm it has to be exact 1.5 mm.... So start working on yourself now, the Whole application cycle is ahead of you!!!! remember you have an edge over all others who were not even invited for the interview!!!

Good luck friends. Prayers for all others like me those who are waiting for a magical call. Practice hard. It not at all luck or destiny. ITs only what you make of yourself. YOu can do it, just start doing it now. Practice Practice Practice .

Reactions: 1 user
..........................."this is what i think."

it seems like everybody feels really good about their interviews (the talking part)

Last edited:
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:
I havent got any news yet, but from expereince of rejection from one dental school last year, everybody facing rejection, Please dont lose hope, consider yourself lucky to have the experience of an interview as well as a bench test in the beginning of the new cycle. Ones who have had this as a first time experience of an interview, I am sure you gotta know how things are like. The fact that you are getting an interview call means that till the time you are on paper, admission comittee likes you and wants to know about you more, the difference comes what you did on the interview, just search and hunt fiercely by yourself, the tips of good interview giving, improve improve improve your practical skills, its neeeds a lottttttt of practice, US schools DO NOT COMPROMISE ON SKILLS QUALITY. YOU HAVE TO MEET THE EXPECTATIONS OF THIS BEST HIGHEST QUALITY DEVELOPED COUNTRY OF THE WORLD. Thats why USA is a topmost country. Self introspect how you have to cover up the gap between the level of dentistry taught to you in your country and USA. Mine country is like Hundres years behind that quality which thrives in USA. You have to jump this hundred year difference in your profession to be able to get accepted. Take this interview as an expereince , jort down the points. Remember that if they need 90 degree cavosurface angle it has to be 90 degrees not 89 not 91 degress . if the depth is 1.5 mm it has to be exact 1.5 mm.... So start working on yourself now, the Whole application cycle is ahead of you!!!! remember you have an edge over all others who were not even invited for the interview!!!

Good luck friends. Prayers for all others like me those who are waiting for a magical call. Practice hard. It not at all luck or destiny. ITs only what you make of yourself. YOu can do it, just start doing it now. Practice Practice Practice .

Members don't see this ad :)
I don,t comment about your country and school which is 100 years backward but anyways rest everything you wrote is great:)

Last edited:
are they done with sendin rejection emails.? did any one or anyone u knw got such an email today...pls post here..

are they done with sendin rejection emails.? did any one or anyone u knw got such an email today...pls post here..

everytime i see new post i feel numb, i cant concentrate on study...preparing part 2 and getting bit nervous for results!!

ya the same to me too, nervous yet curious....:scared:

Almost 700 views on this thread. I would say that at least 100 candidates are still waiting for the news

among those 100....40 will be occuping the spots and 30 will be waitlisted

They put 30 people on waitlist last year? That's a lot

no updates today????
i was thinking today wud be acceptance day....

no updates today????
i was thinking today wud be acceptance day....

Is the email for the wait listed candidates special? I mean did they send out wait listed emails separately and with different wordings than the rejection ones last year?

Is the email for the wait listed candidates special? I mean did they send out wait listed emails separately and with different wordings than the rejection ones last year?

I would only assume that the wordings would be different! One is a rejection, other is a waitlist

frm wat i knw yesterday all those who got emails had either broken the green stick or nicked the adjacent tooth...

Alright guys!! After reading all the posts from those guys who either received the rejection letter or knew that they would get the letter coz they messed up in the bench exam, for me all I can say is that I am CONFUSED OUT OF MY MIND.
My interview on may 21 by Dr. Towne and Dr. Clark was a great experience. It went really well and comfortable. So from the interview point of view I can say the same thing as you all are saying- it was awesome.
Now for the bench exam- you guys said that you all kinda felt that the preps were poor, fair or it nicked the adj tooth, hence could be the reason you may have gotten the letter. In my case it's the COMPLETE OPPOSITE. I can vouch on the fact that my prep was GREAT. I had practiced a lot, a lot means a lot. The doctors who I worked with and who graded me on my preps said that my preps were good enough and I don't need to stress soooo much. Also my wax was not broken.It was this good looking pencil with a box cut in it.
Even the student doctors posted there Said that my prep was good and the pencil wax was well done.
I mean when I walked out of the school, I was VERY HOPEFUL... VERY VERY HOPEFUL, hopeful not coz I felt everything went as good as planned.. But the students there gave me confidence by double checking my preps.
And when I got the email... It was def not expected! I worked HARD coz this was my first ever interview in a long time. I wanted no stone to be left unturned coz I put in my heart and soul in this. This is the only thing I have been running after from the past years.
I think you guys are REALLY LUCKY because you know why you received the letter, but in my case I can't think what went wrong. I mean you guys were kinda scared about your preps after the interview, on the other hand I was really happy about it :( wish I could know what their rejection criteria was:(
I guess in the end all i can say is that after all the hurts and disheartenings I have gone thru, I still FEEL REALLY LUCKY to be at least given a chance to come for an interview for the very 1st time. It was definitely a GREAT experience. I did fell in love with this place and school, so will be reapplying for sure:)
Sorry guys I must have bored you coz of this long thread, but I needed to VENT THIS OUT

Good luck and KEEP YOUR HEADS UP:)

Last edited:
Alright guys!! After reading all the posts from those guys who either received the rejection letter or knew that they would get the letter coz they messed up in the bench exam, for me all I can say is that I am CONFUSED OUT OF MY MIND.
My interview on may 21 by Dr. Towne and Dr. Clark was a great experience. It went really well and comfortable. So from the interview point of view I can say the same thing as you all are saying- it was awesome.
Now for the bench exam- you guys said that you all kinda felt that the preps were poor, fair or it nicked the adj tooth, hence could be the reason you may have gotten the letter. In my case it's the COMPLETE OPPOSITE. I can vouch on the fact that my prep was GREAT. I had practiced a lot, a lot means a lot. The doctors who I worked with and who graded me on my preps said that my preps were good enough and I don't need to stress soooo much. Also my wax was not broken.It was this good looking pencil with a box cut in it.
Even the student doctors posted there Said that my prep was good and the pencil wax was well done.
I mean when I walked out of the school, I was VERY HOPEFUL... VERY VERY HOPEFUL, hopeful not coz I felt everything went as good as planned.. But the students there gave me confidence by double checking my preps.
And when I got the email... It was def not expected! I worked HARD coz this was my first ever interview in a long time. I wanted no stone to be left unturned coz I put in my heart and soul in this. This is the only thing I have been running after from the past years.
I think you guys are REALLY LUCKY because you know why you received the letter, but in my case I can't think what went wrong. I mean you guys were kinda scared about your preps after the interview, on the other hand I was really happy about it :( wish I could know what their rejection criteria was:(
I guess in the end all i can say is that after all the hurts and disheartenings I have gone thru, I still FEEL REALLY LUCKY to be at least given a chance to come for an interview for the very 1st time. It was definitely a GREAT experience. I did fell in love with this place and school, so will be reapplying for sure:)
Sorry guys I must have bored you coz of this long thread, but I needed to VENT THIS OUT

Good luck and KEEP YOUR HEADS UP:)

This is the reason why i created this thread so that we all can vent up in here... Veera iam so sorry to hear about what happened, iam kind of confused as to what to say in your case. All i can think of is that perhaps we were up against some really tough competition this time, lot of people were second timers, who knew the game better than we did! I also feel that the 1st batch was at a slight disadvantage, why because we were interviewed first and expectations were much higher from us. And you know the kind of students i had seen there at the ISP program, most of them looked like geeks to me (especially the guys) :laugh: lolz so i knew that this was the college that doesnt care about personality, they put more weightage to hand skills and homeground experience. Anyways i dont know if i will be applying there again or not... but the experience was certainly great no doubt about it. I would say lets focus on this cycle, and pray for the best!!!:thumbup:

nobody that i knw of got a waitlisted email..

Sorry florarose but this is strictly a Rejection Thread, Only such experiences shall be discussed in here! We dont want to know why, when and who got waitlisted, so i hope you'll understand:D

hi dds in the making,same here , 7th may batch
i also got rejected, although i dont want to be but still I am dejected!i know i messed up prep, but the sugar coated rejectionletter always has some adverse effect on me, i should be used to it by now! the 9th tym!

Hey Aims,, i can understand, rejection feels like a blow in one's face, but failure teaches you where you went wrong and people who learn from their mistake are the true winner, so cheer up... you have a part 2 now... that makes you 10 times better than so many other people in here! apply in Loma Linda,,, that is yr future school:)

:thumbup: Thank you for such motivating words!!! Really true!!!:)

Anyone heard anything from the June 11 batch??

This is the reason why i created this thread so that we all can vent up in here... Veera iam so sorry to hear about what happened, iam kind of confused as to what to say in your case. All i can think of is that perhaps we were up against some really tough competition this time, lot of people were second timers, who knew the game better than we did! I also feel that the 1st batch was at a slight disadvantage, why because we were interviewed first and expectations were much higher from us. And you know the kind of students i had seen there at the ISP program, most of them looked like geeks to me (especially the guys) :laugh: lolz so i knew that this was the college that doesnt care about personality, they put more weightage to hand skills and homeground experience. Anyways i dont know if i will be applying there again or not... but the experience was certainly great no doubt about it. I would say lets focus on this cycle, and pray for the best!!!:thumbup:

Hey buddy, first off there is no doubt that there was some tough competition this time. There were more applicants this year and there is always the pool of re-applicants to consider. However, with regards to the first batch being at a disadvantage, I think that only happens because some people act stupidly and tell others interviewing later what to expect. There are people telling what teeth they asked to prepare, what exactly the wax exercises were and even how the interview process goes. I'm not one to shy away from assisting people, but there is a line between assisting and being selfish for one's own worth.

I find that you are being very judgmental when you say that most of the people looked "geeky." I also interviewed there and felt everyone was helpful, outgoing and had overall good personalities. If you feel that being one type of personality is what the school is looking for, then you should not even bother to apply to any schools. There will always be a mixture of people but a school that has a bench exam evaluates candidates on multiple aspects as opposed to numbers only (like many other schools without bench exams). If, as only an applicant and interviewee you have shown such judgement, please reflect upon your own personal character and no one else's. Everyone applying to all these programs have one thing and one achievement in common : they are all dentists! No further judgement is required. Besides, what makes you better than anyone else to pass such judgement? If I were to get in, I'll be very glad to say that I don't have such a judgmental, egotistical person as a classmate.

Good luck in your future endeavors and I really hope you change your thought process to the entire system.

Hey buddy, first off there is no doubt that there was some tough competition this time. There were more applicants this year and there is always the pool of re-applicants to consider. However, with regards to the first batch being at a disadvantage, I think that only happens because some people act stupidly and tell others interviewing later what to expect. There are people telling what teeth they asked to prepare, what exactly the wax exercises were and even how the interview process goes. I'm not one to shy away from assisting people, but there is a line between assisting and being selfish for one's own worth.

I find that you are being very judgmental when you say that most of the people looked "geeky." I also interviewed there and felt everyone was helpful, outgoing and had overall good personalities. If you feel that being one type of personality is what the school is looking for, then you should not even bother to apply to any schools. There will always be a mixture of people but a school that has a bench exam evaluates candidates on multiple aspects as opposed to numbers only (like many other schools without bench exams). If, as only an applicant and interviewee you have shown such judgement, please reflect upon your own personal character and no one else's. Everyone applying to all these programs have one thing and one achievement in common : they are all dentists! No further judgement is required. Besides, what makes you better than anyone else to pass such judgement? If I were to get in, I'll be very glad to say that I don't have such a judgmental, egotistical person as a classmate.

Good luck in your future endeavors and I really hope you change your thought process to the entire system.

no my friend i have a right to have an opinion, and you are painting a different color to it... i did not say they werent helpful, they were all very helpful, outgoing and they all had great personalities too,,,but when i said geek, i meant they were all "overly intellectual in dentistry" meaning they were definitely experienced and iam sure their hand skill must have been phenomenol too! And you talk about being non judgemental... every freaking college has some criteria or the other when it comes to student selections, some colleges eg UOP want go getters in their program, some colleges like boston want intellctuals and wont even consider a score less than 85, some colleges like CU focus on hand skills and experience ... so my friend dont take me wrong but i have learnt all this from THIS SYSTEM ITSELF!!!! Iam being sterotyped,you are being sterotyped..everybody here is being sterotyped in this system... The schools here want to build a class with people having similar wavelengths so that all the students can catch up quickly together with out any conflicts.... thats excatly what i noticed colorado... all the ISP students that i had met were geeks in their field meaning they were all experienced! They werent fresh grads as such! So i repeat my point again.. this school is not about pretty faces and chirpy dentists, this school is about hard core dentistry!!!!!

Oh and the feelings are mutual!

hey
well i dont think there is anything wrong with sharing the experience, besides we all got the same information from current students and reapplicants, and in the orientation, there was no surprise for all of us whether 7th may, 21st may or 11th june!
sharing the experiences just tells u what to expect, the same topic discussed so many times on sdn already...IT DOES NOT TAKE AWAY YOUR HAND SKILLS!!!! :)dont worry,! even we dint know the tooth numbers and neither i shared with anyone but it was totally expecxted that MOLARS would be given n i was pretty sure one upper n one lower! ITS COMMON SENSE! we were judged on many aspects we fell short in a few! now lets not play the blame game that we dint get admission coz the other ppl knew which teeth or what exercises were given! they r accepted coz of their skills! its not what you learn in a few days or weeks but what you acquired in the 4 yrs of your scholling that maaters! i know for sure my hand skills were not good enuf! i accidentally nicked the adjacent tooth coz the upper jaw was wobbly n they had to change my station, but they did not guarantee that the judges will be informed of the scenario! so i was pretty much expecting it n i broke the green stick....well long story short i tried my best, it wasnt meant to be! some tymes we dont appreciate it but whatever happens is in our best interest! so dont feel gloomy! cheer up , there is a better place waiting JUST FOR YOU!:xf::thumbup:

hey
well i dont think there is anything wrong with sharing the experience, besides we all got the same information from current students and reapplicants, and in the orientation, there was no surprise for all of us whether 7th may, 21st may or 11th june!
sharing the experiences just tells u what to expect, the same topic discussed so many times on sdn already...IT DOES NOT TAKE AWAY YOUR HAND SKILLS!!!! :)dont worry,! even we dint know the tooth numbers and neither i shared with anyone but it was totally expecxted that MOLARS would be given n i was pretty sure one upper n one lower! ITS COMMON SENSE! we were judged on many aspects we fell short in a few! now lets not play the blame game that we dint get admission coz the other ppl knew which teeth or what exercises were given! they r accepted coz of their skills! its not what you learn in a few days or weeks but what you acquired in the 4 yrs of your scholling that maaters! i know for sure my hand skills were not good enuf! i accidentally nicked the adjacent tooth coz the upper jaw was wobbly n they had to change my station, but they did not guarantee that the judges will be informed of the scenario! so i was pretty much expecting it n i broke the green stick....well long story short i tried my best, it wasnt meant to be! some tymes we dont appreciate it but whatever happens is in our best interest! so dont feel gloomy! cheer up , there is a better place waiting JUST FOR YOU!:xf::thumbup:

I totally agree with you, and I was just stating a generality that there are people who disclose which teeth were asked and what exactly the wax exercises are. I'm not blaming anyone, but I've heard from many people that the first batch is at a disadvantage because they are first and they are expected to do so much better. I also feel that by telling others in later batches the specifics of the interview, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage.

Even a week is enough time to improve hand skills drastically if you know exactly what tooth to cut!!

BTW - I was in the second batch, and I spoke to a few people who did know the exact specifics and that's why I'm saying this...not trying to be rude about it at all, but just want people to understand how they are hurting themselves.

Dear Doctor:
Thank you for your application to the International Student Program at the University of
Colorado Denver, School of Dental Medicine for the entering class of 2012.
I would like to personally thank you for taking the time to interview at the University of
Colorado. It was a pleasure to personally meet with you. As you are aware, a variety of criteria
enter into the evaluation of the individual applicants regarding their consideration for admission.
Regretfully, you were not selected by the Admissions Committee to enter into this year's
International Student Program.
The Admissions Committee and the Administration of CU School of Dental Medicine sincerely
appreciate your interest in our school. Our committee members were very impressed by your
significant accomplishments and your desire to continue your dental education and wish you the
best in your future educational endeavors.
If you wish to re-apply for entering class of 2013 or have any questions regarding this letter,
please contact Jane Miller at [email protected] or 303 724 7060.
Sincerely,

amazing rejection.....i was in 11th June, IV went gr8 in my opinion, but i knew abt my bench test tat i am not going to make it..so finally, waiting comes to end..i got email yesterday evening...16th June. pretty fast.:oops::oops::oops:

I totally agree with you, and I was just stating a generality that there are people who disclose which teeth were asked and what exactly the wax exercises are. I'm not blaming anyone, but I've heard from many people that the first batch is at a disadvantage because they are first and they are expected to do so much better. I also feel that by telling others in later batches the specifics of the interview, you are putting yourself at a disadvantage.

Even a week is enough time to improve hand skills drastically if you know exactly what tooth to cut!!

BTW - I was in the second batch, and I spoke to a few people who did know the exact specifics and that's why I'm saying this...not trying to be rude about it at all, but just want people to understand how they are hurting themselves.

With all respect i don't think is bad when you try to help others giving ideas about the IV and bench test ...is not about that.
Not everyone in june 11 is going to be call..
We can't be selfish we have to work as a team thats all.

With all respect i don't think is bad when you try to help others giving ideas about the IV and bench test ...is not about that.
Not everyone in june 11 is going to be call..
We can't be selfish we have to work as a team thats all.

I completely agree with you about giving ideas abou the interview and helping out. I'm specifically talking about people giving specifics, which gives an unfair competitive advantage. That's all - hope I'm making sense!

hey
You have pointed out well. If you are best no one can stop you :)
All the best to you:thumbup:

You have pointed out well. If you are best no one can stop you :)
All the best to you:thumbup:
thanks harry ,
it is just that we have to keep our mind clear of such thoughts! even if someone knows the specifics, which teeth to prepare he / she does not become an expert overnight! or in a week! if you know what you are doing no one can steal your capabitlity!....., even if you know the technique and you are very skilled, if its not meant to be, you will definately make some mistake, regardless of how much one practices! so its all skill+ luck + fate combined ...so cheer up everyone!

thanks harry ,
it is just that we have to keep our mind clear of such thoughts! even if someone knows the specifics, which teeth to prepare he / she does not become an expert overnight! or in a week! if you know what you are doing no one can steal your capabitlity!....., even if you know the technique and you are very skilled, if its not meant to be, you will definately make some mistake, regardless of how much one practices! so its all skill+ luck + fate combined ...so cheer up everyone!

I would like to ask those who received a reject , if it was mailed from Dr.Towne's account or from Ms.miller's? anyone who received rejects today?

I would like to ask those who received a reject , if it was mailed from Dr.Towne's account or from Ms.miller's? anyone who received rejects today?

Rejections were emailed from Jane miller and from her account:(

got the rejection letter today :( i guess it wasn meant to be. lets c wats next in store. Dont wana give up just yet.

I completely agree with you about giving ideas abou the interview and helping out. I'm specifically talking about people giving specifics, which gives an unfair competitive advantage. That's all - hope I'm making sense!

what specifics? we all knew they are going to ask you( tell us about your self)
what is your plans for the future, why Denver, Why this school?...
and in the IV email. they said you will have to prepare a crown and a class 2 amalgam or composite.
there is no secret!
if you can cut a tooth # 3, you would know how to cut # 30!
plus if you look to those who got accepted, most of them are from the first patch, then the second, and the least came from the third one.

what specifics? we all knew they are going to ask you( tell us about your self)
what is your plans for the future, why Denver, Why this school?...
and in the IV email. they said you will have to prepare a crown and a class 2 amalgam or composite.
there is no secret!
if you can cut a tooth # 3, you would know how to cut # 30!
plus if you look to those who got accepted, most of them are from the first patch, then the second, and the least came from the third one.
totally correct agree!!!:thumbup: