UC Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

microgal

NYC's Finest
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, so I'm a Cali state resident I was verified mid July and I haven't received a single UC secondary invitation.... I know I'm taking a long shot with them...(low Cornell undergrad GPA) but good MCATs...but I was wondering if anybody else was in the same boat. Why does my state hate me? Is anybody else out there waiting patiently for their UC school rejection like me?:(

Members don't see this ad.

Whats the rest of your app like? what is considered a 'low gpa'? MCAT? Either way its still early so don't fret, just be patient or make a few phonecalls

3.4 overall Cornell, 3.2 science.... 33R mcat, 11 in each section...clinical microbiologist/biodefense researcher at Weill Cornell in NYC. Lots of undergrad research...blah blah blah, you've heard it all before. I wouldn't be that upset about my app in general but the UC's are really freaking me out, I'm considering applying to DO schools now cause of my low gpa.

Members don't see this ad :)
my peers with similar GPAs as you havent gotten them either.
I dont think you need to go DO. Your GPA isnt that low, its just that UCs are number ****** and they want like 3.8s and ****... ridiculous!

Number ******... I like that. Thanks!

Part of it is the screening process. You get accustomed to getting requests for secondaries fired at you from all the non-screener schools, so the UCs feel like they take a long time. It took Davis a few weeks to offer me a 2ndary, and I'm waiting on SD and SF (verified early july). g'luck

Number ******... I like that. Thanks!

You probably didnt make the first wave, as in your app was verified a few days late. Give it a month and I am sure there will be another large wave of secondaries going out and you will be in it.

That GPA though is a tad low. If they use a computer for numbers you might not make it past that part.

Every UC med school is known for quirky admissions decisions. That has been the case for 30 years! My wife was admitted to the following med schools: Stanford
Wash. U.
Baylor
USC
Albert Einstein
St Louis U
Med Col of Wisconsin

as a resident of California, she got into UCI, UCSD and UCLA. However, she did not get into UCSF or UCD. Those were the only schools she applied to that rejected her. Go figure.
Being an ivy league grad will earn you some points with UC adcoms, but your GPA will probably kill your chances at most of them. If you really want to be a physician, you need to look further than the UCs. A lot further. Most likely, you will need to look at private schools to be your salvation. Good luck.

I'm in the same boat with similar stats. I have received UCSD but no others. I was verified in July. I've been told the same thing about them being "number ******." So I'm not counting on them, but if they come through I'll be stoked.

I really don't think you should worry. My GPA is similar to yours with an upward trend. My MCAT is 29R. I received all secondaries except for UCSD. But I applied to UCSD last year so maybe that is why. This year they decided to review my applicaiton again in october.

So your scores and MCATS look good. You will get your secondaries soon.

I really don't think you should worry. My GPA is similar to yours with an upward trend. My MCAT is 29R. I received all secondaries except for UCSD. But I applied to UCSD last year so maybe that is why. This year they decided to review my applicaiton again in october.

So your scores and MCATS look good. You will get your secondaries soon.

When did you get verified from AMCAS? And when did you get UCLA secondary?

I'm worried now, got verified late july, but still haven't got UCLA secondary.

When did you get verified from AMCAS? And when did you get UCLA secondary?

I'm worried now, got verified late july, but still haven't got UCLA secondary.

My AMCAS was verified 6/7/2006. I received USD 7/21, UCI 7/25, UCSF 8/25. UCSD told me that they will look at my primary again in october. I am reapplying and last time UCSD was the first place that sent me a secondary. I think because I am reaplying right away they are skeptical. Last year UCSF also rejected me pre-secondary.

I have a slightly higher GPA but a slightly lower MCAT. I have only received UC Irvine.

Members don't see this ad :)
similar gpa and mcat, and also from ivy league school. i've gotten uc davis, but that's it. i'm hopeful still, but damn it sucks. there is no cali love going on! :(

I am sure getting into the UC med schools would be easier for Middle Eastern, African American, Latino, or Native American folks
It's not the fact that you bash anyone who isn't white, BB, it's just that you're so boring about it. <yawn>

A lot of folks from UCLA with 3.7 BCPM and 32 MCAt didn't get into any UCs last year so... :confused:
Yes. Once again, folks really have to read the directions better: applications are not accepted based purely on MCAT and GPA.

3.7 and 32 is a great combo, but if you write a lousy personal statement or have a lousy interview, you won't get in. And if you're an amazing candidate with sub-par GPA or MCAT, you still have a shot.

you should look for secondary on this website. and start working on it. That way when you receive the 2nd in mail/email you can get it done as soon as possible. why not try school within the New England area as well, since Cornell is a familar name to them

why not try school within the New England area as well, since Cornell is a familar name to them
The UCs are well aware of Cornell's reputation as well. I wouldn't limit myself to New England.

OP- UCs are very numbers driven, but if you make the first cut, I'm sure your secondary, where you can emphasize your research and sell yourself, will go well.

Bruinboy...your racist comments ruined my thread. Boooo hooo people from UCs got rejected from UCs, you are really something. Go troll somewhere else.

I can't believe that 3.2 Science GPA is even considered by the UCs!?
A lot of folks from UCLA with 3.7 BCPM and 32 MCAt didn't get into any UCs last year so... :confused:

A 3.7 from a UC is not equivalent to a 3.7 or even less from an Ivy.

UCs should certainly be considering a 3.2 Science GPA...and be looking favorably upon such a GPA depending upon what school these grades come from...what you shouldn't believe ("I can't believe that...") is that UC med school admissions seem to equate the UCs with the Ivies, accept students who have 3.7 science GPAs mostly from community colleges, and further the misconception that a 3.7 science GPA from UCLA is all that.

OK. Flame away. I will not respond to anecdote, personal attack based on presumptions, or experession of blind school pride, but feel free to flame anyway.

Peace, ncc

UCs should certainly be considering a 3.2 Science GPA...and be looking favorably upon such a GPA depending upon what school these grades come from...what you shouldn't believe ("I can't believe that...") is that UC med school admissions seem to equate the UCs with the Ivies, accept students who have 3.7 science GPAs mostly from community colleges, and further the misconception that a 3.7 science GPA from UCLA is all that.

OK. Flame away. I will not respond to anecdote, personal attack based on presumptions, or experession of blind school pride, but feel free to flame anyway.

Peace, ncc

UC's are relatively cheap schools in good locations and get 5000 applicants each, they don't have to look at 3.2's if they don't want to. A 3.7 from the top UC's (Cal, LA, SD) is just as good as that of ivy, especially with the 500 student weeder classes people have to take. California FTW. CA>*

Bollocks! Bollocks I say!

Your really starting to get on me tits.

I say this because I know many friends at stanford who always joke that grade inflation is ridicoulous. The competition is just the same in many upper division science courses. So an adcom should damn well look at UC GPA as equal to IVY, cause it is....

I definitely agree with you. A 3.7 from a top tier UC (UCLA, UCB,or UCSD) is much more impressive than a 3.7 from an Ivy. I went to neither, but I am sure that the rampant grade inflation at the Ivies gives their students' GPA less credibility. It might be different for one of the lower tier UC's(UCD,UCSB,UCSC, etc.)

I say this because I know many friends at stanford who always joke that grade inflation is ridicoulous. The competition is just the same in many upper division science courses. So an adcom should damn well look at UC GPA as equal to IVY, cause it is....

I will attest that there is no grade inflation at Stanford, especially in the intro chem and bio classes. You probably just have very intelligent friends. Medians for intro classes vary from a B to a C, depending on the class. Interestingly, my gf has taken intro chem at both UCB and Stanford and has said that it was easier at UCB.

I will attest that there is no grade inflation at Stanford, especially in the intro chem and bio classes. You probably just have very intelligent friends. Medians for intro classes vary from a B to a C, depending on the class. Interestingly, my gf has taken intro chem at both UCB and Stanford and has said that it was easier at UCB.

How is this relevant to the argument? He was talking about UC vs Ivy League. Stanford is definitely not an Ivy.

I have no comment about whether the two are equivalent. But just so you know, not ALL ivys have grade inflation! Cornell has 15,000 students and is known to be one of the hardest graders in the country. Harvard has grade inflation, Cornell does not. End of story.

The grade inflation debate is difficult because so few people take the same classes at different institutions, and even within one university different profs grade differently.

Anecdotally, I took a physics course over the summer at Stanford (my alma mater) a few years ago with a number of UCLA and other UC students. I remember a few of them complaining that they had chosen to take the course at Stanford in part because of the reputation for grade inflation but towards the end of the course expected to earn lower grades than in previous physics classes at their home institutions.

Lets all drink a Guinness and be done with it :)

Harvard has grade inflation, Cornell does not. End of story.

Oh please. I've lost track of how many times I've heard Cornellians utter this phrase to excuse thier poor grades. Let's remember that Harvard has a superior student body as well. In the end, the difficulty of getting an A is probably the same at both institutions despite the fact that Harvard passes out more A's.

http://www.career.cornell.edu/downloads/Health/I AA Chart 2005.pdf

Last year, 14/210 non-URM's applying from Cornell had a GPA of 3.9 or above. That's pretty high in my opinion. Cornell's grade deflation is hugely exagerrated.

I am in complete agreement.

But hey, what do I know? I'm going to a school that's notorious for keeping its own in pretty much all of its grad/professional programs. They love us like that. ;)

Why would your gf take intro chem at both UCB and stanford? And wouldn't she naturally think one program was easier than another if she was repeating the same exact class?

Why would your gf take intro chem at both UCB and stanford? And wouldn't she naturally think one program was easier than another if she was repeating the same exact class?

LOL so true. It is easier the 2nd time around! The question is, which one came first?

NO they are not. But YES they do.

I have a friend who is Middle Eastern and I do not believe they are considered for AA, because they're considered white.

I have a friend who is Middle Eastern and I do not believe they are considered for AA, because they're considered white.

I believe AMCAS only includes blacks, mexican americans, and puerto ricans as URM. Don't quote me on that though.

My stats are about the same as yours and I've gotten a secondary from everyone but UCSF. I wouldn't worry about it - you'll get one soon enough, if I can get one with no research you can with your ECs

How is this relevant to the argument? He was talking about UC vs Ivy League. Stanford is definitely not an Ivy.

The guy said: "I say this because I know many friends at stanford who always joke that grade inflation is ridicoulous. The competition is just the same in many upper division science courses. So an adcom should damn well look at UC GPA as equal to IVY, cause it is...."

I don't know if he thought Stanford was a UC or an Ivy, but I just wanted to refute the argument that Stanford has grade inflation.

She took the first semester at UCB, the next two quarters at Stanford. Not repeating the class, but the same introductory sequence.

She took the first semester at UCB, the next two quarters at Stanford. Not repeating the class, but the same introductory sequence.

ok...so she's a fair judge then.

ok...so she's a fair judge then.

Um.. not exactly. There's way too many things to take into consideration when rating the difficulty of a class. Just to name one, the difficulty of a professor. Even within UCB you hear that x professor is wayyy easier than y professor because x is a better teacher, offers a generous grading curve, whatever.

However, a statistics prof who teaches in both schools has told us (UCB students) that Stanford's grades are way more inflated compared to UCB. I don't remember if she showed us the statistics or even explained in detail how she knows but hey, who cares anyways?

now lets all go back to stressing over UC secondaries ;)

Um.. not exactly. There's way too many things to take into consideration when rating the difficulty of a class. Just to name one, the difficulty of a professor. Even within UCB you hear that x professor is wayyy easier than y professor because x is a better teacher, offers a generous grading curve, whatever.

However, a statistics prof who teaches in both schools has told us (UCB students) that Stanford's grades are way more inflated compared to UCB. I don't remember if she showed us the statistics or even explained in detail how she knows but hey, who cares anyways?

now lets all go back to stressing over UC secondaries ;)

sarcasm. and i dont really care which school does/doesn't have grade inflation.

p.s. UCB Alum c/o 2006. Go Bears.

Uhh...is no one going to point out that the last half of intro to chem would be more difficult anyway since its more advanced and unlike the first quarter its not something you did in high school. I really don't think this is a good judge.

I have no comment about whether the two are equivalent. But just so you know, not ALL ivys have grade inflation! Cornell has 15,000 students and is known to be one of the hardest graders in the country. Harvard has grade inflation, Cornell does not. End of story.

i'm really not trying to pick a fight here, but have you ever taken a class at Harvard? if the answer is "no", then you probably shouldn't be saying that Harvard has grade inflation. The average GPA for an engineering concentrator at Harvard is about the same as UC Berkeley. And don't all the humanities majors do relatively well at all schools? Harvard may have grade inflation in some departments, as every school does, but that doesn't affect most pre-meds.