UC Secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marmalae

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering who has received any UC secondaries, and if you have, when was your AMCAS processed? thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
I've received an Irvine secondary and UCSD said to check the website "periodically", which means every 15 minutes.
Good Luck. Post here if you hear from other UCs

any other UC's? thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
I received UCSD on 7/22, transmitted on 7/18. They will email and update the page.

woops, I was processed from AMCAS on 7/9

I was processed on 6/24, transmitted on 7/15 and received a secondary to UC Irvine yesterday (7/24). I haven't gotten a secondary to UCSD though.

I was processed and transmitted July 15 and I received secondaries from both UCI and UCSD yesterday (July 24).

I received a secondary from UCI last week and one from UCSD on 7/28.

Does anyone know what percentage of applicants are granted a UC secondary? Is it just based on numbers?

I heard somewhere that most UC's offer secondaries to somewhere between 30-50% of applicants. It seems like if you're going to get a secondary, it comes pretty quickly. My verified AMCAS was transmitted to UCI 7/28 and I got the secondary 7/30.

Originally posted by size_tens
I heard somewhere that most UC's offer secondaries to somewhere between 30-50% of applicants. It seems like if you're going to get a secondary, it comes pretty quickly. My verified AMCAS was transmitted to UCI 7/28 and I got the secondary 7/30.

I think it can depend on your #'s whether you get it quickly or not. I had friends who had more "borderline" stats who got them much later last year, like not until Dec. or Jan., when they had submitted AMCAS during the summer.

Someone on the secondaries thread got a UCLA secondary; anyone else hear from them?

what is considered "borderline" stats? i was feeling pretty good about getting the sd and irvine secondaries, but it looks like davis, la, and of course sf aren't showing the love yet. is it still too early to feel uneasy? also, would someone be so kind as to post the essays for davis and la?? pretty please :)

Members don't see this ad :)
You can probably see if you have been approved for a secondary already by logging in to their admissions database. The status page will have a "requested" button next to the secondary column if you have been granted a secondary already.

http://www.medstudent.ucla.edu/admiss/

Statement
_(See_Instructions)

Total Characters:

The committee would like to know about your interests, experiences, and personal characteristics which are relevant to a career in medicine._ Please only provide information you believe is important._ It is_not necessary or required to supply information in all sections.__Each response is limited to 800 characters. A character counter for each response has been included to assist you with this limitation._ You can save your information by clicking either the 'Save' or 'Update' buttons at the bottom of this form._ The information entered on this form will not be available to the Admissions Office until you electronically file the information by clicking_the 'Submit' button and pay the document fee.

Extracurricular Interests and Activities

Describe involvement in the_ONE_most important non-academic activity that has been important in your life?

Total Characters:_

What has been the_ONE_most unique leadership, entrepreneurial or creative activity in which you participated?

What has been the_ONE _most important volunteer work you have done and why was it meaninful?

Scholastic Activities

What is the_ONE_most important honor you have received?_ Why do you view this as important?

What has been your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities)?_ Describe one and give number of hours, dates and advisor.

Personal

Describe a problem in your life._ Include how you dealt with it and how it influenced your growth.

List major paid work experience during (or since) college._ Give dates, description, approximate hours worked (list the most recent first).

If there is any hardship to which you would like the committee to give special attention in evaluating your application, then check_the box labeled 'Hardship'_and briefly explain why you are indicating a hardship._ Include any geographic, language, economic, academic, physical, or mental factors.

Hardship

Total Characters:

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?_ What experiences have led you to this goal?

Total Characters:

Thanks LG! you are a real star :) good friggin lord! that is the beastliest secondary i've seen thus far!

WOW. that is a biaaaaaaatch
thanks LG. Jeez, if I don't get a secondary I guess I won't feel too bad. And man, how come UCLA doesn't take AP credits ?! :mad: oh well

I just got UC Irvine's secondary today (7/30), and my amcas was transmitted to them on 7/29. UCSD just sent me an email today saying they received my primary and it will take up to 6 weeks to decide whether or not i will get a secondary! has anyone else gotten that email? (ucsd was transmitted 7/18)

Originally posted by marmalae
I just got UC Irvine's secondary today (7/30), and my amcas was transmitted to them on 7/29. UCSD just sent me an email today saying they received my primary and it will take up to 6 weeks to decide whether or not i will get a secondary! has anyone else gotten that email? (ucsd was transmitted 7/18)

I got that UCSD email too...just got to wait and see

Did anyone else get a phone call from the MSTP at UCSD even tho they didn't apply to that program?

the UCSF webpage is for 2003. A lot of the schools are listing this batch as 2004 so that may be from last year

Got the usual UCSD "check the website periodically for secondary app status" email.

Got an electronic secondary from UCI

Got an electronic secondary from UCDavis WOO HOO!!! (about 50% of applicants receive one). :D

No other news from UCLA or UCSF. :(

Oh well...

wow, the UC Davis secondary is a nightmare!

Originally posted by omisoc
wow, the UC Davis secondary is a nightmare!

you can say that again. after filling out all the options i feel like i was just twiddling my thumbs the last FOUR years. I didnt know there were so many extracurriculars i COULD have been doing.

I got the UCSD email that said "we're going to keep you in purgatory for up to 6 weeks" on 8/19. But I'm from out-of-state (Pennsylvania)...I don't know if that matters, but it's worth mentioning.

BTW, has anyone seen the UCSD secondary this year? Do they still ask you to write an autobiography (literally)? Bleeeeech.

Got UCD (8/22)and UCI (8/26). Both electronic. Just yesterday...UCSF verified my AMCAS, after 3 weeks:rolleyes:

Nothing from LA, SD, or UCSF. If UCDavis really screens out about 50% for the secondary...woohoo..I am excited. But the essays Qs are long and drawn...badly written stuff.

-DE

Originally posted by dEEpEyEs
Got UCD (8/22)and UCI (8/26). Both electronic. Just yesterday...UCSF verified my AMCAS, after 3 weeks:rolleyes:

Nothing from LA, SD, or UCSF. If UCDavis really screens out about 50% for the secondary...woohoo..I am excited. But the essays Qs are long and drawn...badly written stuff.

-DE

From an email I received from Ed Dagang, Director of Admissions at the UC Davis School of Medicine:

"Probably 1/2 to 2/3 of applicants receive a secondary
application. From this pool 400-500 folks will be asked to interview.
Then approx. 200 folks are admitted to fill the 93 seats in the
entering
class."

Hope this helps. Good luck!!!

Wow Deepeyes!!! We got our secondaries from UCD and UCI on the same date!!!!! How cool!!!!! Good luck.......stay positive and hope for the best!
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

good job on getting those secs guys and gals. what are the chances that an out of state person could go to uc school?

Originally posted by guzkre
good job on getting those secs guys and gals. what are the chances that an out of state person could go to uc school?

...bumpity bumpity...I'd like to know this too...but I suppose it depends on your scores...BTW, I was born in San Diego although I'm no longer a resident, and my dad did his residency at the UCSD hospital. Does that help? Maybe a tiny little bit?

Originally posted by PianoGirl04
I got the UCSD email that said "we're going to keep you in purgatory for up to 6 weeks" on 8/19. But I'm from out-of-state (Pennsylvania)...I don't know if that matters, but it's worth mentioning.

BTW, has anyone seen the UCSD secondary this year? Do they still ask you to write an autobiography (literally)? Bleeeeech.

The UCSD secondary is identical to last years...autobiography required.

Hi guys,

Yeah...i have finally summitted all my UCs secondaries today. I just want to celebrate now! Do you know when they get back to us?

I think i'm getting called for interview at Dartmouth. I called them and the lady said see you in October. I hope that's a positive sign.

Good luck to all you californians out there...

Princeton Rocks!

Guzurke...what state are you from?

Ms. Princenton Rocks...you gotta a secondary from UCSF??? From outta state?? WOW!!
When did UCSF verify your AMCAS?? Thanx

Voltron...maybe we'll interview together...you seem like a happy go-lucky guy...

DE

ok so i'm obviously way behind in my secondaries... but i was wondering, did anyone else have trouble making sure their answers to the UCLA secondary questions weren't redundant? for me, the one most important volunteer work, one most unique leadership, and one most non-academic activity are all the same.

:confused:

and by the way, ucsf is the onyl school i didn't get a secondary from yet.

Originally posted by spaz
ok so i'm obviously way behind in my secondaries... but i was wondering, did anyone else have trouble making sure their answers to the UCLA secondary questions weren't redundant? for me, the one most important volunteer work, one most unique leadership, and one most non-academic activity are all the same.

:confused:

and by the way, ucsf is the onyl school i didn't get a secondary from yet.

well i had enough meaningful ECs to write something different for each one. i dont know if being redundant is bad but i didnt want to take the risk.

volunteer work can be the one most directly related to medicine...
most non academic activity was one that wasnt related to medicine...
unique leadership experience was helping international students adapt to life here.

i mean your other experiences had to have been meaningful enough to write about right?