UCB #1 O-School...but policies are ridiculous

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Icandoit

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
none

Members don't see this ad.

Before this post dies and people are left wondering what’s going on, I need to clarify some things.

You are put on AP when your semester GPA is under 3.0. There are certain classes we are told that we need to pass (i.e. optometry and optics). You must pass those classes with at least a B to continue. For the other classes, if you get a B-, your academic profile will be reviewed. Doesn’t mean you are on AP, but you will need to go through the academic committee to make sure your progress is ok.

I really need to make the next point clear also. The three people required to join the class below was not due to them earning “a B- or a C+”. It was not one, it was several over at least a 2 semester period which included them failing the required courses also. I know a couple of them personally and it really was the right decision for them (they have said it was the right decision, not the “perfect” decision, but the right one).

The major problem is the new graduate school policies requiring the 3.0 GPA but I don’t think any of the professors have changed their grading system to reflect that. It has been addressed to the dean of student affairs several times but we have yet to see any changes.

Stress is unbelievable but it’s what to be expected. I was knocked off points for giving too many instructions to a patient on a practical. Was I upset? Of course! But at the end of the day, I understand why they did it. You have to learn to accept criticism now and learn from it before going into the clinic.

Icandoit, you know you can do it. Don’t get discouraged. We both can do it if we both want it. You are surrounded with people that care about you so let us help. Don’t go through this alone if this is what you are feeling. You know how to contact me. :)

Best wishes,

Rosanna

Hi,

Coming from University of Michigan Ann Arbor which is pretty close in rankings to Berkeley, do you guys feel like the students in optometry are very competitive? I think most people think UM is pretty competitive so I just wanted to get a feeling of what school would be like. But a 3.0 seem a little high to be considered problematic. At UM a B corresponds to a 3.0, is that also true for Berkeley? Do you feel that the professors even care about the students?
Just from reading what you guys posted is making a little nervous. I wonder if other schools are that strict too.

Ning-Ju

B = 3.0

Graduate school program requires that a cumulative 3.0 GPA is maintained.

My post was to make clarifications. I never claimed to know what going through AP or getting dropped to the class below feels like. What else can I do but be supportive of my friends which I feel I have done a relatively OK job with. It was not meant to judge or attack anyone in that position. I stated the academic facts only because I didn’t think it was appropriate to bring up an issue of morality (i.e., being lied to, etc.).

In my experience, the students are not competitive here. I feel that I can ask anyone questions and get help from any of my classmates. No one withholds information or tests or anything like that. Again, this is from my own experience with my own class. Class dynamics vary each year.

Professors generally do state that they are available if you need the help. I only have one experience with getting help from a professor. I was in trouble is seriously failing a class last semester. The professor did all she could to make sure I understand what I did wrong on my exam, how should I study for the exam, went over her notes with me, went over the entire midterm with me, e-mailed me every week to make sure I was keeping up with the material, and then finally met up with me a week before the final to make sure I was ok. She looked out for me and I’m incredibly grateful for that. I’m not sure if all professors are like that, but that is my own experience. Tutoring is available by GSIs and students also if you need it.

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but this again is my own experience. My experience and thoughts are different from other people in my school and from my class. I will always encourage everyone here to form their own opinions about a school and not to go with what one person says.