UCBSO accepting UCB undergrads

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vornskr1030

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been hearing a lot about how, in general, graduate schools don't usually like to accept students who went there for undergrad. Anyone know if that's applicable to optometry schools, esp UCBSO?

Members don't see this ad.

vornskr1030 said:
I've been hearing a lot about how, in general, graduate schools don't usually like to accept students who went there for undergrad. Anyone know if that's applicable to optometry schools, esp UCBSO?

UCBSO accepts a lot of UCB undergrads. It's not a detriment at all to come from UCB, and it's probably a plus because UCB is an excellent undergraduate school. Graduate programs don't like to "inbreed" by taking undergraduates into a graduate program in the same department, but that's not an issue with profession schools like law, medicine, dentistry, or optometry.

Abner Yokum said:
UCBSO accepts a lot of UCB undergrads. It's not a detriment at all to come from UCB, and it's probably a plus because UCB is an excellent undergraduate school. Graduate programs don't like to "inbreed" by taking undergraduates into a graduate program in the same department, but that's not an issue with profession schools like law, medicine, dentistry, or optometry.

why don't graduate programs like to take those from their own undergraduate program? i've heard this before, but i never understood the reason...

Members don't see this ad :)
They don't show more preference towards Cal students from what I heard. It is a misconception. As long as your application is competitive you can get in. But maybe they end up accepting more Cal students because they did so well on their OAT's and whatnot.

scraders said:
why don't graduate programs like to take those from their own undergraduate program? i've heard this before, but i never understood the reason...

They think it's beneficial to the student to be exposed to different points of view and different academic cultures -- sort of a cross-pollenation among different schools, so that everyone is not just reinforcing the beliefs of everyone else at a particular place. It's probably also better for grad students to have academics from more than one institution familiar with them and their work up to that point.