UCD senior, 3.5cgpa, 3.4 sgpa, 34 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UbuntuGM

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are my chances for getting into any allopathic school? (I have no interest in learning OMM, so DO is not something I'm looking at).

Stats:
3.5cgpa, 3.4 sgpa, 34Q MCAT, CA resident

LORs - standard (2 sci prof, 1 history, 1 from PI)
Research - 3 years in PCR lab
Clinical Experience - 300+ hrs in hospital, 20 in hospice
Teaching - Weekly workshops for student health maintenance
Shadowing - 40 hrs so far with a neurologist

Misc ECs:
1) dance choreographer, production assistant for theater group
2) various other 1-time volunteer projects

how does it look?

Members don't see this ad.

You'll get some interest outside of Cali

Disagree, I think you will get a pretty good look from the Cali schools as well (due to the MCAT which compensates for GPA a bit).

Additionally, you have decent EC's, I'd say you have a solid shot overall, and still a shot at Cali schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
Disagree, I think you will get a pretty good look from the Cali schools as well (due to the MCAT which compensates for GPA a bit).

Additionally, you have decent EC's, I'd say you have a solid shot overall, and still a shot at Cali schools.
Whats your logic? OP has substandard GPA by almost 0.15 and whilst they have an above average MCAT to balance it out, Cali is really competitive.

The avg stats per AAMC for someone who is a Cali resident are as follows; MCAT 32.1, sGPA 3.58 and non-sciGPA 3.7, cGPA 3.63. Thus the OP is below the GPA averages, and Cali has a higher MCAT average thus their high MCAT scores lose some of its bang being that its in Cali.

Hence why I said they'd get more love out of state where the MCAT score is that much better than the avg applicant.

Its certainly not impossible for Cali, but its a longer shot than out-of-state

Whats your logic? OP has substandard GPA by almost 0.15 and whilst they have an above average MCAT to balance it out, Cali is really competitive.

The avg stats per AAMC for someone who is a Cali resident are as follows; MCAT 32.1, sGPA 3.58 and non-sciGPA 3.7, cGPA 3.63. Thus the OP is below the GPA averages, and Cali has a higher MCAT average thus their high MCAT scores lose some of its bang being that its in Cali.

Hence why I said they'd get more love out of state where the MCAT score is that much better than the avg applicant.

Its certainly not impossible for Cali, but its a longer shot than out-of-state

My logic is that there is more to Cali admissions than just your GPA/MCAT score. He/She has pretty solid EC's w/3 years of research, teaching, and a fair amount of clinical experience (which I don't think everyone has applying from Cali).

I'm not saying the OP WILL get in. I'm saying he/or she for sure has a chance. I think he or she shoud apply to all 5.

My logic is that there is more to Cali admissions than just your GPA/MCAT score. He/She has pretty solid EC's w/3 years of research, teaching, and a fair amount of clinical experience (which I don't think everyone has applying from Cali).

I'm not saying the OP WILL get in. I'm saying he/or she for sure has a chance. I think he or she shoud apply to all 5.
The bolded statement is true everywhere....not just cali...

They are ok ECs but again not something to make up for a substandard GPA.

I still think the OP will get more interest OOS but they should def apply.

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I wasn't even sure if I should consider doing a post-bacc to up the GPA, but if you think I have a solid shot of getting an interview somewhere, I'll apply this June. I'd love to stay in Cali (wouldn't we all?), but OOS is awesome as well.

I have an additional question though, does me being Asian (Vietnamese/Chinese) put me at a disadvantage?

I wouldnt say it puts you at a disadvantage but it doesnt offer any advantage as you arent a URM (least i dont think so)

i don't think you'll get much love from cali schools either...OOS is your best chance. It doesn't really matter, of course, you should still apply to all the in-state schools. Just be realistic with your hopes. it's true Cali schools do look for something special but nothing you've described regarding your EC's is that spectacular.

Should i consider applying later in June (around June 20th) if that means I can factor in my last few grades of my undergrad and possibly raise my gpa .03 or something? Or is that too big a risk?

Don't bother waiting - 0.03 isnt going to make or break your app

Should i consider applying later in June (around June 20th) if that means I can factor in my last few grades of my undergrad and possibly raise my gpa .03 or something? Or is that too big a risk?

I would wait till spring grades are out. You will be verified by early to mid July. And that still puts you in a good place for secondaries for July/August. It can't hurt you that's for sure (and you will have one more quarter of good grades). Also AMCAS breaks it down by year, so your senior year GPA will have a bigger increase than overall.

If your GPA was high the last two quarters, then apply early June. If your GPA this quarter will improve a modest upward trend already (or not yet) demonstrated from last year's grades, then wait til spring grades are out. It looks best if your year by year trend is rising.

Apply broadly! ALWAYS! There some medical schools here in the South and the Midwest! As long as it is an MD school, it is still okay. It doesn't have to be an Ivy League school. I mean it still will on the person. How he or she studies and work hard to become a great physician.

California is very competitive!

Apply broadly! ALWAYS! There some medical schools here in the South and the Midwest! As long as it is an MD school, it is still okay. It doesn't have to be an Ivy League school. I mean it still will on the person. How he or she studies and work hard to become a great physician.

California is very competitive!

you're a freshman so don't give advice, please...it doesn't mean much coming from you, no offense