UChicago MSTP

Started by AndyMD
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AndyMD

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am applying to UChicago's MSTP this cycle, but I found the information offered on the school's website to be a bit lacking and less than optimally arranged. I felt like there wasn't much of a "sales pitch" like I've come to expect from other schools, and I was really having to dig to find interesting details.

Can anybody give me their personal opinion about the school and/or their MSTP? You might be a student there currently, or maybe you've interviewed there, or maybe you just got more out of the website that I was able to?

I tried the "intransit" MD/PhD site, but it didn't have a review 🙁

Thanks.
 
UChicago's program has been notoriously understaffed over the past few years, leading to being unable to contact them and really late interviews (with early decision requests!). I wasn't particularly happy with it myself when I interviewed a few years back, so I declined them. It seemed to be a completely different program than the other Chicago MSTP...
 
I have had a really wonderful experience at the UChicago MSTP program. I saw someone mentioned it was notoriously understaffed, but I truthfully have never heard such a thing and certainly don't feel like it is the case. It could be that this occurred before I arrived here three years ago. I was actually just telling someone the other day how much support I feel from them. If you have specific questions, shoot me an e-mail [email protected]
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I said it was notoriously understaffed based on two application cycles of (paraphrasing) "I can't get a hold of UChicago and I've been trying for weeks? What's going on?", "The only school I haven't heard from was UChicago", and "They interviewed me so late and wanted an answer from me right away."

I interviewed there and I just came to the impression that they really need more office staff. Whenever I needed to ask anything I just started e-mailing the director directly, and I think alot of applicants find that to be a turn off.
 
Pritzker has great research program! I finally turned in my application in last week of October after debating a lot about their MSTP program. I ended up applying to their MD program. I could never justify the need for Ph.D to do research. I enjoy research and finding things myself by reading articles and doing experiments. I plan on doing research while in med school, and so I am really interested in their program. Hopefully, I will get an interview there. :luck:
 
I had the same experience last year. I applied early, expecting to get a quick interview (since I knew Pritzger MD interviews very early), but it took months to get a response from them. I was in the habit of calling/emailing every month or so to make sure my application was still active, but by March, I had given up. Then, in the second week of April, they called me and offered an interview. I had to decline since their interview would've been weeks after the deadline for some of the schools I had already been accepted to. It was a discouraging experience, especially since I've only heard great things about Pritzger and I was excited to see the school. Hopefully, they have their act together this year, and you won't go through the same thing as me. But, I wouldn't hold my breath for a response from Chicago (sorry, guys). Good luck y'all!
 
agp4 said:
I had the same experience last year. I applied early, expecting to get a quick interview (since I knew Pritzger MD interviews very early), but it took months to get a response from them. I was in the habit of calling/emailing every month or so to make sure my application was still active, but by March, I had given up. Then, in the second week of April, they called me and offered an interview. I had to decline since their interview would've been weeks after the deadline for some of the schools I had already been accepted to. It was a discouraging experience, especially since I've only heard great things about Pritzger and I was excited to see the school. Hopefully, they have their act together this year, and you won't go through the same thing as me. But, I wouldn't hold my breath for a response from Chicago (sorry, guys). Good luck y'all!

Oh..You had a bad experience 🙁 . I feel like apologizing for Pritzker now. But then they haven't even invited me for an interview 🙁. My application is being reviewed right now. I am also a compulsive status checker. At this point, I don't mind schools rejecting me. But I hate it when they have no response or you application is under review answer. I guess I am being impatient 😳

Btw, it is Pritzker and not Pritzger 😛