UCI or UCD for undergrad bio?

michellie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi... I am having a hard time deciding between the two and the SIR deadline is coming up soon. Is there a comparison between the undergrad biology programs at UCI and UCD? I have a few friends that go to UCI and tell me that UCI has one of the most rigorous lower division courses so that kind of swayed my decision for a moment. If anyone went to UCI or UCD and can give me some input about both universities that would be great. :)

I really liked the UCI campus but the downside of going there is that I'd probably have to take an extra year because I didn't finish the Bio 97, 98, 99 courses. I visited UCD last weekend and wasnt feeling it much.

Although I really like the environment at UCI better I dont know if it is worth the extra year. However, If i go to UCD I would be done with most of the prerequisites.

Members don't see this ad.

Well you seem to be a huge fan of UCI so I'm guessing you should go there, b/c that school makes u happier. The extra year is not a big deal i think.

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to UCI and didn't do a bio major. Made life a whole lot less stressful , and my grades were a lot higher when I applied to pharmacy schools. I miss undergrad!

hi... I am having a hard time deciding between the two and the SIR deadline is coming up soon. Is there a comparison between the undergrad biology programs at UCI and UCD? I have a few friends that go to UCI and tell me that UCI has one of the most rigorous lower division courses so that kind of swayed my decision for a moment. If anyone went to UCI or UCD and can give me some input about both universities that would be great. :)

I really liked the UCI campus but the downside of going there is that I'd probably have to take an extra year because I didn't finish the Bio 97, 98, 99 courses. I visited UCD last weekend and wasnt feeling it much.

Although I really like the environment at UCI better I dont know if it is worth the extra year. However, If i go to UCD I would be done with most of the prerequisites.
I did my undergrad at UCI and graduated with a biosci degree, it was nice. Area is nice, campus is beautiful, and its a very relaxing place to study imo. Volunteering, research, etc is all readily available here and its great. The bio programs at both places are great, as far as prestige goes, that doesnt even matter between these 2.

Bio 97-99 are genetics, biochem, and molecular bio. And while it may be a pain to take, many med schools are now requiring a lot of these classes. So it wouldnt necesarily be a bad thing. Though you cant take any upper div stuff until 97-99 are done.

programs are similar and if you do well both will get you into med school. one thing i loved about UCI is it wasnt ever really competitive and it was fairly easy to succeed there as a bio major. You said yourself you werent feeling davis and you dont want to be at some place you hate. If i was you, if i can graduate one year earlier, i would choose UCD just based on that. If you have any questions about bio at UCI i can ask, i just graduated and will be starting med school soon :)

thanks everyone! :D ill be sure to ask more questions when i can think of some. hehe

What did you major in at UCI koercive because I am thinking about pharm school. which reminds me does anyone know anything about the pharmaceutical major at uci? >.< i hear its fairly new.

thanks everyone! :D ill be sure to ask more questions when i can think of some. hehe

What did you major in at UCI koercive because I am thinking about pharm school. which reminds me does anyone know anything about the pharmaceutical major at uci? >.< i hear its fairly new.
well its new (i think 2008 or so was when it started?), i knew a few people in the program who seemed to hate it and think it needed a lot of work. One of their main complaints was that its hard to get classes sometimes because biosci students apparently get priority before them. And at UCI everyone and their mother is pre pharm or premed and these classes fill up insanely fast. maybe koercive can explain more since he/she might have done this. for biosci or any bio major its all really easy and everythign is fairly streamlined becuase its so established