UCI vs USC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gucci007

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
USC
Pros
  • Training at LAC (diverse patient population and more hands-on involvement)
  • Greater support system for research as all students have to complete a project
  • HTE program (health, technology, and engineering program)
  • p/f for m1 and m2

Cons
  • Bigger class size
  • Area surrounding campus is not very nice
  • about 80K more over four years

UC Irvine
Pros
  • smaller class size
  • students seem to have a very laid back vibe
  • nice living area
  • 80K less over four years

Cons
  • honors/p/f in m2
  • hospital not close to campus (about 15-30 min drive)
  • research is not as emphasized
The biggest factors pushing me towards USC are the emphasis on research, ability to train at LAC, and alumni network. However, I am not sure if those things are worth 80k more. If anyone is from UCI, I would really want to know how you feel about research opportunities and the clinical training at the UCI medical center.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
@Cookiess Is the best person with regard to UCI :)!

Personally, you can't go wrong with either school but I would go for the cheaper option since UCI or USC will give you very similar outcome matching into any residencies really. When i interviewed at UCI, I was matched with a PI and was pleasantly educated on the vast majority of research opportunities available and they were overwhelming in a positive way. Clinical training should not be an issue either because of the abundant of sites. In my opinion, UCI and USC are on the same par in almost all ways. Plus, remember you can do away rotation at Harbor-UCLA or LAC during 4th year so you can still get the diverse exposure you are looking for. So i would pick the cheaper option! housing in Irvine is also cheap!

Reactions: 1 user
Obviously I'm biased...but theres one thing I'll say about research! At UCI, any of my class mates that want to get involved in research have been able to. Sure, they have to e-mail physicians doing research on their own...but for anyone that has been interested in getting involved in research, they've been able to. And on top of that, they've been able to fully dictate to what extent they want to be involved. I've had friends that simply found a mentor for an independent project that they take from IRB to publication on their own. I've had friends that just want to do case series for their research. I would venture to say that getting involved in research, no matter the school, is less about what they require you to do and more about how much you want to do it yourself!

I don't think the H/P/F is a big issue during MS2 year. It's there if you want to try to get honors in your MS2 classes but your Step 1 score and grades during your third year rotations are much more important than your pre-clinical grades. Everyone naturally studies more during MS2 year since Step 1 is always looming in the background but I don't think the H/P/F is big deal.

During the first two years, you won't be at the hospital very often so I think it was a much bigger deal to me before I started than it is in reality. We'll have a handful of clinical workshops at the UCI Medical Center during the first two years but otherwise we wouldn't be at the hospital outside of optional shadowing.

A good number of students at UCI (especially the ones interested in more competitive specialties like derm or ortho) are involved in research projects. Many of the interest groups (ex. OBGYN interest group, Ophthalmology interest group) are active on campus where they'll host talks and you can find out research opportunities through these interest groups as well as from talking MS2s/MS3s/MS4s.

I like that we have a smaller class size. It allows everyone to get to know each other and I feel like I do get to know most of my classmates pretty well. I think our small class size also helps us get to know the faculty and deans as well.

The area around UCI is very different from the area around USC so I would definitely factor that into your decision as well, depending on which environment you think you would enjoy more for the next four years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for all the responses! I was initially quite set on USC but you guys have really helped me see more positives of UCI. I'm not entirely sure which school yet but this was really helpful!

I would try to talk to as many students from both schools as possible and see what their thoughts are. I know a few of my classmates at UCI were making the same decision between USC and UCI so it may be helpful to reach out to students you've met at both schools.

Since no one from Keck has chimed in yet, I'll throw my two cents in.

In terms of research, yes we are extremely well supported in getting involved with research opportunities. We have an Office of Medical Student Research Programs that keep an updated website with postings for research and set up RSP fairs every semester where ~15 faculty who want med students come and present their research (this is how I found my PI). I would say that by early second semester mostly everyone I knew had a PI if not a project already in the works. Also (this may be the same at UCI), virtually everyone gets funding for research over the summer who applies for it.

Not only is LAC+USC within walking distance of campus, but also Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center and Keck Hospital are as well. I cannot understate the convenience of this. Not sure how UCI works, but starting the second month of first year we start interviewing patients every week and taking histories with an ICM instructor at either Keck or LAC (depends on the week) so we just mosey on over. People take advantage of this by shadowing at any of the three hospitals after or before classes (or sometimes during class because #webcastlife lol).

Now whether or not this is worth 80k more to you is up to you. There are lots of other perks that come with Keck's hefty price tag as well not mentioned here, but once again it depends on you.

Reactions: 1 users