UCI vs. Wisconsin-Madison (Full-Tuition)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

liltomato

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
UW-Madison is more highly ranked, has a strong emphasis on public health (huge plus for me), brand new facilities, and a more innovative curriculum. I really like this school, but location is the only downside. I know I'd be crazy to turn down a free medical education, but my family/friends/significant other live in OC and it's always been my dream to stay in California. I definitely plan on doing residency somewhere in CA, but I doubt going to UW would prevent me from doing so.

It's hard to say no to something I've wanted for so long, but the scholarship changes everything. UCI would cost ~$160K and I would live at home. Not extremely expensive in terms of medical school, but it's a lot compared to free. Worth it to try to stay close to my loved ones/avoid ever experiencing winter or should I just let go and go to UW?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm in a similar situation: deciding between going to a solidly ranked midwestern program for a cheaper tuition price and my state school where I would live at home if I were to attend and where I'd eventually want to practice. I don't have a full scholarship offer like you do, but if I did I would definitely not pass that up. You just have to ask yourself what you value more: having significantly less debt or having immediate family support/comfortable environment in Cali.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you haven't decided already, attend UW Madison and be a proud badger!! Madison is a wonderful city:) You will enjoy being on campus, there are actually plenty of things to do! I'll be applying to UW Madison eventually, just can't wait!