ucla and stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chai

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone on the ucla waitlist or admitted who hasn't taken stats?

Members don't see this ad.

i didn't take stats, but did take a year of calculus. BTW, i'm on the wailist.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by CalBear:
•i didn't take stats, but did take a year of calculus. BTW, i'm on the wailist.•••••Hmmm..If you get in I think you are going to have to take stat before actually matriculating...Did you ask them about that when you interviewed?

Members don't see this ad :)
•••quote:•••Originally posted by Scooby Doo:
• •••quote:•••Originally posted by CalBear:
•i didn't take stats, but did take a year of calculus. BTW, i'm on the wailist.•••••Hmmm..If you get in I think you are going to have to take stat before actually matriculating...Did you ask them about that when you interviewed?•••••According to the MSAR, one year of college mathematics is required and that "Study of introductory calculus and statistics are highly recommended." I'm pretty sure that one year of calculus satisfies that requirement. BTW, i know a current student who goes to UCLA med who did not take statistics either. It's only recommended.

Ah..i see..my bad!

I totally took stat at my school solely for the reason that I thought UCLA changed it from a "recommendation" to a "REQUIREMENT"...oh well..my bad....

As far as i know, stats are now a prerequsite for UCLA, but who knows how strictly they uphold that rule.

From the requirements list on the UCLA admissions website:

"One year of college mathematics to include the study of introductory calculus and statistics."

I took 2 quarters myself.. but not because of UCLA's requirements; I did it because I didn't want to take any more calculus.

okay...appearantly stats became a requirement starting for the 2002 entering class. I am majorly screwed b/c i didn't take it and it's too late to sign up for a community college class. For the OP, I just spoke with lili fobert, the director of admissions, and she said that they are very "strict" w/ the stats class. However, if i am pulled off the waitlist she said that i could petition to get it waived. acording to her, they may or may not approve it. i guess we'll just have to cross our fingers and hope that they waive the requirement if we are pulled off the wailist.

CalBear,
I was accepted this year at UCLA without statistics. I did take a year of calculus. I haven't heard anything from the school saying that this is a problem and I'm starting there in a month. Hope this helps.

Good luck to you.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by PeasOnToast:
•CalBear,
I was accepted this year at UCLA without statistics. I did take a year of calculus. I haven't heard anything from the school saying that this is a problem and I'm starting there in a month. Hope this helps.

Good luck to you.•••••You might want to call them and make sure :)

Also, is UCLA your top choice? Will you for sure be going there???

peasontoast:

if you call UCLA, can you let us know what they tell you about getting the stats requirement waived?

CalBear