SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

ucla and stats

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by chai, Jul 1, 2002.

1. chai

chai New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    anyone on the ucla waitlist or admitted who hasn't taken stats?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. CalBear

CalBear Senior Member 10+ Year Member

Nov 13, 2001
    i didn't take stats, but did take a year of calculus. BTW, i'm on the wailist.

4. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo IEatShavedPussyCats 10+ Year Member

Jul 9, 2001
    City
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by CalBear:
    <strong>i didn't take stats, but did take a year of calculus. BTW, i'm on the wailist.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hmmm..If you get in I think you are going to have to take stat before actually matriculating...Did you ask them about that when you interviewed?

5. CalBear

Nov 13, 2001
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by Scooby Doo:
    <strong> </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by CalBear:
    <strong>i didn't take stats, but did take a year of calculus. BTW, i'm on the wailist.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hmmm..If you get in I think you are going to have to take stat before actually matriculating...Did you ask them about that when you interviewed?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">According to the MSAR, one year of college mathematics is required and that "Study of introductory calculus and statistics are highly recommended." I'm pretty sure that one year of calculus satisfies that requirement. BTW, i know a current student who goes to UCLA med who did not take statistics either. It's only recommended.

6. Scooby Doo

Jul 9, 2001
    City
    Ah..i see..my bad!

I totally took stat at my school solely for the reason that I thought UCLA changed it from a "recommendation" to a "REQUIREMENT"...oh well..my bad....

7. CaliBoy

CaliBoy Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Feb 19, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    As far as i know, stats are now a prerequsite for UCLA, but who knows how strictly they uphold that rule.

From the requirements list on the UCLA admissions website:

"One year of college mathematics to include the study of introductory calculus and statistics."

I took 2 quarters myself.. but not because of UCLA's requirements; I did it because I didn't want to take any more calculus.

8. CalBear

Nov 13, 2001
    okay...appearantly stats became a requirement starting for the 2002 entering class. I am majorly screwed b/c i didn't take it and it's too late to sign up for a community college class. For the OP, I just spoke with lili fobert, the director of admissions, and she said that they are very "strict" w/ the stats class. However, if i am pulled off the waitlist she said that i could petition to get it waived. acording to her, they may or may not approve it. i guess we'll just have to cross our fingers and hope that they waive the requirement if we are pulled off the wailist.

9. PeasOnToast

PeasOnToast Member 7+ Year Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Tahoe
    CalBear,
    I was accepted this year at UCLA without statistics. I did take a year of calculus. I haven't heard anything from the school saying that this is a problem and I'm starting there in a month. Hope this helps.

Good luck to you.

10. Scooby Doo

Jul 9, 2001
    City
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by PeasOnToast:
    <strong>CalBear,
    I was accepted this year at UCLA without statistics. I did take a year of calculus. I haven't heard anything from the school saying that this is a problem and I'm starting there in a month. Hope this helps.

Good luck to you.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">You might want to call them and make sure :)

Also, is UCLA your top choice? Will you for sure be going there???

11. CalBear

Nov 13, 2001
    peasontoast:

if you call UCLA, can you let us know what they tell you about getting the stats requirement waived?

CalBear