UCLA application incomplete?!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soren77

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After months of waiting and checking my status online, I decided to call to see if a final decision has been made. I guess I just wanted to know that I was definitely rejected or they have stopped interviewing candidates for this interview cycle. To my surprise though, the admissions person told me that my application is incomplete because I did not submit a UC application. I thought that the UC application was in place of the AMCAS (due to the AMCAS delays this year) and not a requirement. I'm really annoyed that they did not tell me this earlier and am beginning to think that it's not true...He said they're interviewing until the second week of May so I should submit is as soon as possible, but I don't think it's worth it now. I don't think that the UC application has any new information and if they did not decide to interview me by now it's not going to happen.

It makes me so mad to think that they're trying to blame the delay on me when all I've done this through this whole process is to turn everything in as early as possible.

It's all BS. Admissions people tell you lies...sorry, but I had to vent.

Members don't see this ad.

I got a letter from UVM today saying that because I did not complete my application (missing letters and/or MCAT scores and/or secondary app) that they are withdrawing my application. Guess I should've checked to see that it had arrived...

That is really crummy. It is too bad they didn't notify you that your application was incomplete.

However, it was written on the web sites of the UC schools (I even got a letter from UCSF about it) stating that the policy for this year was that the CA app was mandatory and in addition to the AMCAS. The reasoning was likely that since the AMCAS had so many errors in it that the only "reliable" information they could get was on a form you filled out.

My school stressed over and over again that we should always contact the schools to ensure our app was complete, even if we thought it was. It's good advice for anyone in the 2003 app cycle. I'm sorry you had to experience that one first hand. In a difficult application year, everything that could go wrong certainly seemed to.

If you really want to go to UCLA, it can't hurt to fill out the form and send it in. It's a pdf file that allows you to type everything directly on it and you can just paste your AMCAS essay. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Soren77:
Initially, I didn't send in my UC App for the same reason; by the time I applied AMCAS was running smoothly. However, when I called in Decemeber they told me that it was required. So I sent it in, and eventually they got back to me with an interview request. It's not that the UC app provides any key info, rather they won't prepare your file for further review until they know it's complete. Don't give up hope if you really want to go to UCLA. Complete your app (it'll only cost you a postage stamp), and give yourself a fair chance. That's what i would do at least.

--Avi

This same thing happened to me with all my UC applications. By the time I applied, AMCAS was running fine and stupid me didn't check to see if it was required. I called UCD about a month ago to find out why I hadn't heard from them. When they checked, they told me I was incomplete. They didn't give me the option to complete my application, however. Completing my app with UCLA would be completely useless in my opinion. I'm pretty sure I would get a nice rejection soon after.

Thanks for the replies guys. Only SDN people can empathize with my frustration.
And actually, I did call the admissions office in november after I submitted my secondary and they said that my file was complete...

UCLA was a reach for me anyway. It's probably better trying my chances at the lottery than a spot in UCLA's class considering I'm an out of stater, Asian, and they probably stopped giving out interview invites. Nevertheless, I may just send that UC app in on Monday...just to say I've tried.