*~*~*~*~*~*~ucla- Class Of 2011- Go Bruins!!**~*~*~*~*~*~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
kelvin, i think you're in dire straits man. last year this same thing happened to a guy, poor kid..same deal, glitch upon login in and suddenly the screen's showing he already accepted some offer. thinks nothin' of it. next thing you know, he gets a letter from ucla saying that it's too bad he decided to go somewhere else but that he'll succeed whereever he goes. here's the scary part, while the dude is reading this (shocked speechless, of course), he gets a knock on the door. mailman. fatty package from Lebanon Medical School with info about housing and saying that they've received his SIR.

btw, i'm mos def vietnamese kelvin. i don't think we'll be alone though. i don't think they've quite yet met their quota for students with the same last name.

Members don't see this ad.

kelvin, i think you're in dire straits man. last year this same thing happened to a guy, poor kid..same deal, glitch upon login in and suddenly the screen's showing he already accepted some offer. thinks nothin' of it. next thing you know, he gets a letter from ucla saying that it's too bad he decided to go somewhere else but that he'll succeed whereever he goes. here's the scary part, while the dude is reading this (shocked speechless, of course), he gets a knock on the door. mailman. fatty package from Lebanon Medical School with info about housing and saying that they've received his SIR.

btw, i'm mos def vietnamese kelvin. i don't think we'll be alone though. i don't think they've quite yet met their quota for students with the same last name.

HOLY MOLY... I was sweating so much reading your post. :scared: I thought my life was over. hahaha. Anyways, you got me there like 5 seconds after the first sentence...I just woke up. I m so tired after pulling an allnighter for this test. Anyhow, I m sure there will be more room for some Viet students. Hope to see u at second look. *yawn... back to sleep*.

Actually, the link for housing worked fine when I just checked it again. So yeah, I got my studio at Weyburn. So who will be my neighbor? when are we gonna have our first party? hehehe jk:p

Members don't see this ad :)
wait, Kelvin, so you applied and got your offer for weyburn immediately?
btw, if you're uci alum, what class are you taking now?

at this very early juncture, i'm going to make a hypothesis:

medical school is a socially acceptable refuge for alcoholics.

alkies flock here because by merely putting in some hours studying, getting wasted is suddenly an acceptable, stigma free activity. no more are the stigmatized days of drinking by your lonesome. med school students (READ: alcoholics) are now viewed as partaking in a carthartic activity; drinking as simply a stress reliever.

as scientists, we'll employ the scientific method. we'll observe. any reference to "party" is an obvert cry for liquor. "Books" and "Housing" questions are obviously code for Booze and Hooch. be on the look-out.

So is anyone thinking of renting a place off-campus/not university owned? I realize this can be very expensive, but are there any benefits? Benefits of staying in university-owned housing?

wait, Kelvin, so you applied and got your offer for weyburn immediately?
btw, if you're uci alum, what class are you taking now?

at this very early juncture, i'm going to make a hypothesis:

medical school is a socially acceptable refuge for alcoholics.

alkies flock here because by merely putting in some hours studying, getting wasted is suddenly an acceptable, stigma free activity. no more are the stigmatized days of drinking by your lonesome. med school students (READ: alcoholics) are now viewed as partaking in a carthartic activity; drinking as simply a stress reliever.

as scientists, we'll employ the scientific method. we'll observe. any reference to "party" is an obvert cry for liquor. "Books" and "Housing" questions are obviously code for Booze and Hooch. be on the look-out.

Yes. I applied for housing right after I got accepted. And they just confirmed with me about the studio option, which is my preference. I m class of 2006 at UCI, bio major. How about you minh? Are you from UCI too? I m taking statistics and human anatomy at a community college right now.
You are right about getting wasted after exams in med school. That's what my friends said too (they're M1 right now). For me, a lot of volleyball after exams 'll do. Anyone here plays volleyball? I already plan to join intramural and also play in clubs at UCLA. I heard the USC med students played a lot of volleyball so we should form a team and compete with them lol.

So is anyone thinking of renting a place off-campus/not university owned? I realize this can be very expensive, but are there any benefits? Benefits of staying in university-owned housing?

HANDS DOWN on your MCAT :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

I got my housing offer email on Fri. (04/06) and they asked me to go to some link to accept the offer. When I clicked on it, there was some glitch during my log-in. I had no idea what happened but later on, it showed that I already accepted the offer. So basically I had no idea what the offer was. In my housing application, I put down studio as my preference. Does it mean I got the studio or it could be something else? Did this happen to other people? I m thinking to call them on monday and see what's going on.

this happened to me too and i talked to them today. apparently it happened to a few people. i will pm you tomorrow the number of the person i called who fixed it (it's at work...)
-sam

this happened to me too and i talked to them today. apparently it happened to a few people. i will pm you tomorrow the number of the person i called who fixed it (it's at work...)
-sam

hello my partner in crime, you should check it again. It worked fine for me now. So I accepted my offer and am ready to pay my initial payment. $1018 is expensive but I heard it was a good deal, considered living in LA. hey, we should introduce to each other on second look. I'd be glad to talk to you. You seem very nice.... just like me hahahahah ( conceited I know) :D

hey guys,
for those who already got their financial aid estimate: how long does it take the office to process your aid application and give you an estimate? do you have to call them to get the estimate, or do they mail it automatically once they're done processing your application? thanks!

once you've done FAFSA and that huge NEED app, just email gloria. she replied back with my estimate in 2 days. When I called her about it, she said, with just the slightest tinge of sarcasm, "Oh great, how fun, another estimate.."

btw kelvin, i'm ucb c/o 2006 (barely--december 2006). i wish i were still taking classes right now though..microsoft excel can blow me.

once you've done FAFSA and that huge NEED app, just email gloria. she replied back with my estimate in 2 days. When I called her about it, she said, with just the slightest tinge of sarcasm, "Oh great, how fun, another estimate.."

thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
btw kelvin, i'm ucb c/o 2006 (barely--december 2006). i wish i were still taking classes right now though..microsoft excel can blow me.

I think we should take the excel class together at UCLA. They do offer a computer class though. Anyways, I dont know if taking anatomy helps or not but my professor is really bad. He doesnt teach us anything and we have to learn everything on our own. I just took a test on musculoskeletal system yesterday, got the highest score in class so I m happy. We're dissecting a cat in the lab and some girls refused to work on cats. They'd rather lose 50 points. They said it's brutal to work on cats and they'd rather dissect cadavers hehehhe. :laugh:

has anyone started a facebook group yet?

i don't think there's a facebook group yet, although i haven't checked.

good news though you guys, we're going to ucla this fall!!! sorry, i still can't get over it. i get jumpy just thinking about it! To fulfill the computer req, i just got this uber sweet laptop for 160 bucks. I'll have more geek cred than you can shake a finger at.

Ahhhhh I'm sooo thrilled to join this club! = ]

Hello everyone! I just got my acceptance today so I'm still a little overwhelmed. So what do I do now? What did you guys write and how much did you guys write in your letter of acceptance?

Is everyone accepted up to date welcome to the second look weekend? I heard some schools have limited space. I would really like to come and meet all of you!! = ]

Ahhhhh I'm sooo thrilled to join this club! = ]

Hello everyone! I just got my acceptance today so I'm still a little overwhelmed. So what do I do now? What did you guys write and how much did you guys write in your letter of acceptance?

Is everyone accepted up to date welcome to the second look weekend? I heard some schools have limited space. I would really like to come and meet all of you!! = ]

Welcome chipmunk, you will have to go second look 'cause we're carpooling together :love:

hey, i'm not the one using emotionally ambiguous emoticons here!

As a future psychiatrist, I can opine on the horrific emotional ambiguity of all electronic communications, even with emoticons...:mad: :scared: :p ;) :luck: :hardy:

Anyways, minh, we have another Viet at UCLA. chipmunk is a viet girl :)
samwise, when are you gonna be here so we can go eat crawfish????? I dont want chipmunk to change her mind after her excitement cools down. ;)

hahaha...oh my god...

you know, if this whole doctor thing doesn't work out, we should open a Pho Hoa together. We'd make bank, $5.95 at a time..

Chau,

(the current extent of my Vietnamese acumen...)

You betcha! Any other crawfish-types?

A

hahaha,
minh, I can make bun bo hhehehe
Anyways, minh, samwise, chipmunk, you guys are all niceeee and I cant wait to see more people like you guys at UCLA. That just makes med school a lot less stressful , hanging out with nice people hehehe. (I am one of them too, aint I? hahhaha

Chau,

(the current extent of my Vietnamese acumen...)

You betcha! Any other crawfish-types?

A

so you want Louisiana bred crawfish or Houston bred ones? or "made in china" ones? hahaha.
For flavor, I believe they have 4 flavors total. Trust me, it's gooddddddddddddddd;)

Just checking in :) I'm going to be at a conf in La this week, so I'm scoping out the area. Can't wait for second look, yeah!

Ehh?? Did you mean "chao" samwise? =P

i was doing it phonetically. :) heheheh:rolleyes:

ah, you all will have to teach me more. love other languages! now if there are some russian speakers in our class, then i am in business... bec i was a russian major.

damn you people who get to go to second look...i live friggin 8 hours away. btw, if you're so sure about ucla, why go then i have to ask?

i have a date on exactly the 21st, so to all the girls on this board, gimme so surefire lines--puh-lease. I was gonna go retro with Mel Gibson. you know, talk fondly about a dead spouse, then pull out "I don't know why I tell you now except I see her strength in you." Boom! she's yours! But anything else, Photo_girl and chipmunk, would be gravy:)

So who will be going to the brunch on sunday at Dr. Hall's home? I m still debating If I should go. I'll have an exam on the following monday. blah

damn you people who get to go to second look...i live friggin 8 hours away. btw, if you're so sure about ucla, why go then i have to ask?

i have a date on exactly the 21st, so to all the girls on this board, gimme so surefire lines--puh-lease. I was gonna go retro with Mel Gibson. you know, talk fondly about a dead spouse, then pull out "I don't know why I tell you now except I see her strength in you." Boom! she's yours! But anything else, Photo_girl and chipmunk, would be gravy:)

Oh lord...this girl better be super HOT for you to miss second-look weekend and the free food (which is why most of us are going). Hehe. I suggest you take her to second look day. That way...she'll be super impressed with you! = ] And no i wouldn't like it if a guy talks about his dead spouse or ex-gf to me unless I ask about it. All the attention/eyes/thoughts should be on ME and ME only. Hahaha. If it's the first date though then dont praise her or flatter her too much. It'll get to her head. Make her want to come back for more by not giving her everything she wants. Other than that...just be yourself because she must like you already to go out on a date with you. If all else fails try..."If I could rearrange the alphabet, I would put U and I together." :p:p

chipmunk, Minh's afraid kelvin will impress his date more than he does. That's why he's not taking her to second look. :D

chipmunk, i'm sure med school is a real turn on for most girls.

date: "oh minh, you're so good at taking standardized tests. take me." (all in that panting, congested voice)

and kelvin, i would just introduce you as my gay friend. and since we're both form berkeley, we would both respect your lifestyle decision and point out to you that good looking guy standing in the corner.

Hm, no thanks. I dont need to know about your discreet gay firends that you hang out with on occasion. I got in Berkeley and didnt wanna go. Guess what the reason is? On that note, I think I know why you chose to go to berkeley now!

Not nice. Cut it out.:smuggrin:

thanks for that, kelvin! :)

i am indeed going to brunch. never miss an opportunity to eat good brunch food--favorite meal of the week! (and it only comes once a week... :) at least until i retire)

dude, who's been watching "Planet Earth" on the discovery channel lately? AMAZING stuff! they had this guy get up before the sun set for 8 weeks to get like 30 seconds of footage of some poor guy bird (Paradise Bird) trying to impress a girl bird. friggin beautiful stuff. Also they had the Pitcher Plant which is--surprise!:)--shaped like a pitcher. It has nectar around the upper parts of it's inner wall. Too bad the rest of the wall is coated in slippery wax.. You see these insects suddenly panic and realize they're slipping into the digestive-enzymy soup below. Then you see this adapted spider who siddles down on a silken thread and eats the bugs that have fallen in. i swear, if it doesn't remind you of a sophisticated museum heist, then you need to watch some more tv. over and out.

For those you already applied for housing...how long did it take them to get back to you about where you're going to live next fall?

...who's in? the new anthony hopkins movie opens april 20th... anyone wanna go? :)

...who's in? the new anthony hopkins movie opens april 20th... anyone wanna go? :)

I am a maybe on this one samwise. UCI is playing in the play off (volleyball) on sat. night so I will go back to the OC to see the game. When r u gonna be here? fri. night?

Movie: Fracture
1 hr. 53 min.
(R), for language and some violent contentShowtime & Date: 8:20pm, the evening of Fri, Apr. 20thTheater: Pacific's The Grove Stadium 14
189 The Grove Drive
3rd & Fairfax
Los Angeles, CA 90036
(323) 692-0829

I am going at 8:20--got my ticket on moviefone... anyone who wants to come with (I'll have a car too) is most welcome. If not, see ya'll Saturday...
Feel free to PM me to meet up if you want.:) :) :)

...Love that Anthony Hopkins!!! Whew hew!

4 days turnaround time for the housing app. turned in the app on friday and got the offer this morning.

what did they give you Minh? was it your first choice?

weyburn 2 bedroom/2 person

and no, damnit, it wasn't my first choice. i like to be by myself. how am i to carve my miniature animal toys if there's another person breathing down my neck all day?! it's hard enough putting in the fur hair by hair, try doing it while some imbecile is "just getting to know you"!

yea it was my first choice :)

Movie: Fracture
1 hr. 53 min.
(R), for language and some violent contentShowtime & Date: 8:20pm, the evening of Fri, Apr. 20thTheater: Pacific's The Grove Stadium 14
189 The Grove Drive
3rd & Fairfax
Los Angeles, CA 90036
(323) 692-0829

I am going at 8:20--got my ticket on moviefone... anyone who wants to come with (I'll have a car too) is most welcome. If not, see ya'll Saturday...
Feel free to PM me to meet up if you want.:) :) :)

...Love that Anthony Hopkins!!! Whew hew!
Have you been to the Grove before samwise? You will love it. Save your stomach for great food too. They have a lot of fine restaurants there. Yum!:p

I'd like to go, but i fly out earlier that morning. Is anyone going on the diner/bus tour or LA on saturday night?

So who will be going to the brunch on sunday at Dr. Hall's home? I m still debating If I should go. I'll have an exam on the following monday. blah

Is the dress code casual for second-look weekend? I dont want to show up under/over dressed.