UCLA Class of 2013 Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shemarty

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Nobody's started this thread yet!

Members don't see this ad.

Yay!!! :D

So what's it going to come down to between UCLA/UCSF Shemarty?

WoW! Shemarty is considering UCLA? UCLA should be honored...lol

I would feel bad if i don't go to Stanford though and you come to UCLA (shemarty).

Such a tough decision...but i really do love UCLA, Ronald Reagan hospital is GORGEOUS, students are so chill, cost is low, it goes on... and on..

So like coping said, what is the deciding factor b/w SF and LA?

Members don't see this ad :)
WoW! Shemarty is considering UCLA? UCLA should be honored...lol

I would feel bad if i don't go to Stanford though and you come to UCLA (shemarty).

Such a tough decision...but i really do love UCLA, Ronald Reagan hospital is GORGEOUS, students are so chill, cost is low, it goes on... and on..

So like coping said, what is the deciding factor b/w SF and LA?

Right now, I'm leaning towards UCSF, because......... i have no idea whatsoever.

I grew up in the Bay Area. UCSF is closer to home? It's.. uh.. more familiar to me?

Yea, I have no actual reasons to prefer UCSF over UCLA. So I thought to myself, I should actually find out more about UCLA before making any decisions.

Does anybody have any comments about UCSF vs UCLA? I actually don't know much about either. :(

And I'm still waiting on those non rolling decisions in March. I'm thrilled to have the option to stay in CA, but I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to take it or not. There were some east coast schools that I loved, too...

Right now, I'm leaning towards UCSF, because......... i have no idea whatsoever.

I grew up in the Bay Area. UCSF is closer to home? It's.. uh.. more familiar to me?

Yea, I have no actual reasons to prefer UCSF over UCLA. So I thought to myself, I should actually find out more about UCLA before making any decisions.

Does anybody have any comments about UCSF vs UCLA? I actually don't know much about either. :(

And I'm still waiting on those non rolling decisions in March. I'm thrilled to have the option to stay in CA, but I'm not 100% sure if I'm going to take it or not. There were some east coast schools that I loved, too...

First of all, if you have gotten into LA and SF, there is no reason you should even think about going to an out of state school. Where to go between them is a difficult thing. Two things I liked better about LA were the location of the school, the fact that the med school is part of the whole UCLA campus, how the hospital is right across the street from the school, and how there is actually nice housing that most 1st and 2nd years take advantage of. I felt that SF had students all spread around.

First of all, if you have gotten into LA and SF, there is no reason you should even think about going to an out of state school. Where to go between them is a difficult thing. Two things I liked better about LA were the location of the school, the fact that the med school is part of the whole UCLA campus, how the hospital is right across the street from the school, and how there is actually nice housing that most 1st and 2nd years take advantage of. I felt that SF had students all spread around.

Well, what if an out of state school turned out to be less expensive? Also, And I really did like a lot of the east coast schools that I'm still waiting to hear back from. And it might do me some good to leave CA for awhile... I've lived in CA forever, and many people have suggested that I try out a new part of the country / get a new experience, etc.

I agree about the location / rest of UCLA campus is nearby / students living near each other vs scattered.

I was hoping 2nd look would help me make my decision... I heard UCLA's 2nd look weekend isn't that big of a deal?

UCLA's second look weekend is more like a second look day. You do get to see a lot of the campus and what it is like though. I loved it, the atmosphere is great.

UCLA's second look weekend is more like a second look day. You do get to see a lot of the campus and what it is like though. I loved it, the atmosphere is great.

Hmm, well most other schools have you arrive on Friday night, have events planned on Saturday, and you leave on Sunday. Is it that different than UCLA's 2nd look "day"? The problem is, it overlaps with Mich and WashU. I'm not sure if I want to check either of those out...

Congrats to everyone accepted!

Does anyone know if housing at Weyburn is guaranteed for first years? I'm not sure if I should be looking for backup housing plans in Westwood.

Congrats to everyone accepted!

Does anyone know if housing at Weyburn is guaranteed for first years? I'm not sure if I should be looking for backup housing plans in Westwood.

Yes. First two years I believe

So, UCLA's 2nd look "day" is the same weekend as Michigan and WashU's 2nd look weekend.

What to do...:confused:

So, UCLA's 2nd look "day" is the same weekend as Michigan and WashU's 2nd look weekend.

What to do...:confused:

I'm somewhat biased. ;) But, I guess I would go based on cost and which I got the best feeling from when visiting. UCLA's interview day was pretty short, so I'm looking forward to 2nd look to get a better feel for it. I'm not sure which other 2nd looks (if any) I want to go to...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm somewhat biased. ;) But, I guess I would go based on cost and which I got the best feeling from when visiting. UCLA's interview day was pretty short, so I'm looking forward to 2nd look to get a better feel for it. I'm not sure which other 2nd looks (if any) I want to go to...

Yea, I also want to go to UCLA's because the interview day was so short that I don't think I learned very much about the school.

On the other hand, I'm more likely to attend UCLA than Michigan or Wash U (purely financial reasons at this point), so maybe I should go to Michigan or Wash U's 2nd look to give them a fighting chance against UCLA...

Hey guys. Got my acceptance letter today. Pretty stoked. I am most likely attending here absent some miracle $. Definitely looking forward to this experience over my undergrad (Penn booooo). lol.

Hey guys. Got my acceptance letter today. Pretty stoked. I am most likely attending here absent some miracle $. Definitely looking forward to this experience over my undergrad (Penn booooo). lol.

Congrats!

So, has anyone gotten housing information yet? I've recieved financial aid information, but that's it. Also, does anyone know what the "acceptance checklist" on the UCLA status website is?

So, has anyone gotten housing information yet? I've recieved financial aid information, but that's it. Also, does anyone know what the "acceptance checklist" on the UCLA status website is?

I haven't received any housing info yet.

There used to be a link under "accepted student checklist" on my status page that contained the checklist for the class of 2012, but now there isn't anything there. Is the checklist there for you?

I haven't received any housing info yet.

There used to be a link under "accepted student checklist" on my status page that contained the checklist for the class of 2012, but now there isn't anything there. Is the checklist there for you?
I have the words "accepted student checklist", but no link. I guess I should have checked earlier.

I have the words "accepted student checklist", but no link. I guess I should have checked earlier.

Well, when it was up earlier it wasn't current, so they'll probably put up the updated one later.

Got my acceptance today! Going to UCLA for sure! :laugh:

CONGRATS everyone! some qs...

do you know if we get the $5,000 into our BAR or bank account at the beginning of the school year to help with living costs, or does it automatically go into our tuition?

also, after we send in our final transcripts, do we get a final transcript "ok" that all courses are sufficient for pre-reqs and everything is okay?

and last... what did you guys write in your acceptance letter back to ucla, just "yes I accept your offer of admission" ?

I just applied for housing. Damn that place is nice. Whether or not I'm going to UCLA? Not sure yet

Let's have a UCLA Class of 2013 get together! Is anyone in LA (now or soon) though?

Let's have a UCLA Class of 2013 get together! Is anyone in LA (now or soon) though?

f#@@ ! I was all about this two or three weeks ago when I was in town. I'd love to but now I'm out of town (OOS).

does anyone know how to make a facebook group? (or does one already exist). I don't have facebook (yet), but my friend in the class of 2012 said his class made one around this time last year for their class and it was a more personal and active way to talk with future classmates! what do you all think?

does anyone know how to make a facebook group? (or does one already exist). I don't have facebook (yet), but my friend in the class of 2012 said his class made one around this time last year for their class and it was a more personal and active way to talk with future classmates! what do you all think?

One already exists :)
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=60332223120

I just got my letter last week. Probably about a 90% chance I go there...

And yeah, my acceptance letter seemed somewhat awkward as well.

Alright, I know nothing about housing at UCLA. Anyone with some info, let me know, please.

recently got in. been on the east coast my whole life so i'm a bit scared about coming out to the west coast. trying to figure out ucla v. stanford and how i could possibly make such a decision :/ i really liked both but they are so different!

recently got in. been on the east coast my whole life so i'm a bit scared about coming out to the west coast. trying to figure out ucla v. stanford and how i could possibly make such a decision :/ i really liked both but they are so different!

I think MJisKing is making that same decision - you should ask him for his thoughts!

I think MJisKing is making that same decision - you should ask him for his thoughts!

agh yeah, im pretty torn about it.

also, so regarding the acceptance note for ucla, how does the 2 week thing work if i end up deciding to go elsewhere?

agh yeah, im pretty torn about it.

also, so regarding the acceptance note for ucla, how does the 2 week thing work if i end up deciding to go elsewhere?

Feel free to chime in if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that the letter you must submit within 2 weeks is simply to hold your place in the class and is non-binding.

But congrats on those acceptances and good luck with your decision!

Ya I'm in the same position. Except its a 3 way decision for me -- recently got a full tuition, 4 year scholarship from Vandy as well. Just when you think making a decision can't get any harder...:confused:

Stanford would be my no brainer choice if I was set on academic medicine, but I'm not THAT into research, plus i LOVE the city of LA, and have always dreamed of attending Geffen, but then again money talks and the south wasn't too bad.

Choices, Choices.

Ya I'm in the same position. Except its a 3 way decision for me -- recently got a full tuition, 4 year scholarship from Vandy as well. Just when you think making a decision can't get any harder...:confused:

Stanford would be my no brainer choice if I was set on academic medicine, but I'm not THAT into research, plus i LOVE the city of LA, and have always dreamed of attending Geffen, but then again money talks and the south wasn't too bad.

Choices, Choices.

Woah - nice! Talk to LET, she'll convince you to go to Vandy :)
Alaskagrown from last year's cycle turned down a lot of fantastic schools for a full ride at Vandy. Maybe he could give you some insight, too.

Meanwhile, Stanford is very research-heavy, but it doesn't have to be basic sci. So unless you have no academic interests, I'm sure you could find something awesome to work on at Stanford.

I know nothing about UCLA, but you seem to, so that's okay :)

Woah - nice! Talk to LET, she'll convince you to go to Vandy :)
Alaskagrown from last year's cycle turned down a lot of fantastic schools for a full ride at Vandy. Maybe he could give you some insight, too.

Meanwhile, Stanford is very research-heavy, but it doesn't have to be basic sci. So unless you have no academic interests, I'm sure you could find something awesome to work on at Stanford.

I know nothing about UCLA, but you seem to, so that's okay :)

That's one thing slightly putting me off from Stanford, the research heaviness. I went to a super research heavy undergrad and want to continue working on some of that stuff, but really want to learn the clinical stuff and how to be a doctor! Does anyone know how the clinical experience at Stanford is like?

UCLA seems to have a good mix of research/clinical stuff, and LA is freaking awesome. I'll quickly forget all about Boston if I'm in LA :)

That's one thing slightly putting me off from Stanford, the research heaviness. I went to a super research heavy undergrad and want to continue working on some of that stuff, but really want to learn the clinical stuff and how to be a doctor! Does anyone know how the clinical experience at Stanford is like?

UCLA seems to have a good mix of research/clinical stuff, and LA is freaking awesome. I'll quickly forget all about Boston if I'm in LA :)

I can't say much about Stanford, but UCLA's clinical opportunities are why I'm so excited about it! Rotations at the #3 ranked hospital in the country (Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center), a top-ranked private hospital (Cedars-Sinai), county hospitals (Olive View and Harbor), community hospitals (Santa Monica), and a VA hospital.

I'm also considering a higher ranked school (Hopkins), but I really think UCLA has everything, and I think location (LA!) is pretty important. Also, a resident on the forums who went to UCLA for med school said that his 4 years there was the best time of his life, and he ended up at Mayo for dermatology despite all that fun!

Last edited:
Hey has anyone received any mail from UCLA since the acceptance letter? My mail has been getting lost recently, just checking I didn't miss anything?

Hey has anyone received any mail from UCLA since the acceptance letter? My mail has been getting lost recently, just checking I didn't miss anything?

According to two people at the admissions office (Ian and a woman), we should be receiving mail about housing this coming week.

I don't think you've missed anything since the acceptance letter. :)

Great, thanks! I just noticed the status page now asks about completion of an "accepted student checklist", maybe that is something we will find out about soon :)

Last edited:
Hmm, well most other schools have you arrive on Friday night, have events planned on Saturday, and you leave on Sunday. Is it that different than UCLA's 2nd look "day"? The problem is, it overlaps with Mich and WashU. I'm not sure if I want to check either of those out...

Hey Shemarty, how did you find the date for UCLA's second look day. I can't find it on their website.

Also, does anybody have a link under accepted student checklist yet? I had one back in december but it's gone now. Has my admission suddenly been revoked? haha

Hey Shemarty, how did you find the date for UCLA's second look day. I can't find it on their website.

I actually don't remember where I got this date from... :confused:
Did I make it up?

How do I put myself on the housing waitlist?