UCLA/Drew vs. UCLA/Geffen

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alok

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just learned that these programs have separate secondaries to fill out. What's the difference between the two? Also, Has anyone received secondary from UCLA/Drew? I've completed the secondary for UCLA/David Geffen COM.

Also, is there some kind of advantage of being in one program over the other?

Members don't see this ad.

personally i dont know but dont go to UCLA med...i stopped being a fan of UCLA when 2 years ago a HS classmate got in with an 810 (out of 2400) on the SAT because hes 300+ lbs and 6'6 or taller...and i got rejected with a little old 4.4 cumulative out of HS with sports and clubs and etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
you're also supposed to do your clinical work at a hospital in south LA, although that is questionable with the problems king harber medical center is having. they are very selective for those who have a demonstrated commitment to underserved communities. make sure it's for you :)

you're also supposed to do your clinical work at a hospital in south LA, although that is questionable with the problems king harber medical center is having. they are very selective for those who have a demonstrated commitment to underserved communities. make sure it's for you :)

mlk hospital is closed.

those who go to ucla/drew rotate at ucla affiliated hospitals, but spend more time at hospitals like harbor-ucla over near torrance.

Geffen @ UCLA: All four years at UCLA, serve at UCLA.
Drew/UCLA: First two years at UCLA, serve at probably Harbor UCLA.

Geffen @ UCLA: All four years at UCLA, serve at UCLA.
Drew/UCLA: First two years at UCLA, serve at probably Harbor UCLA.

As far as I know, things may have changed but when I was there:

Geffen students first 2 years at ucla, 3-4th year threw the ucla affilated hospitals (harbor, olive view, chs, cedars, santa monica etc.)

Drew/ucla first 2 years at ucla, 3-4th year at ucla affilated hospitals that serve the underserved/county hospitals (eg harbor or olive view). My class was the last class to do the 3rd year at mlk, and the class behind the current 4th years rotated threw out the ucla affilated hospitals not just the county ones.

Drew students take the same exams as the main program students attend all the same functions and also have special drew functions as well. You even attend the geffen white coat ceremony and graduation as well as the drew ones. My diploma says david geffen school of medicine and drew universtity on it. When I went to interviews for residency most interviewers just thought of me as a ucla student who enjoyed working in the underserved communities. Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 user
personally i dont know but dont go to UCLA med...i stopped being a fan of UCLA when 2 years ago a HS classmate got in with an 810 (out of 2400) on the SAT because hes 300+ lbs and 6'6 or taller...and i got rejected with a little old 4.4 cumulative out of HS with sports and clubs and etc.

wtf pointless reply. Let your bitterness go. UCLA is both an amazing undergraduate school (sends the most number of people to MD programs of all colleges in America) and an amazing medical school (ranked 12?).

Thanks for all the replies. Really helpful guys.

is it possible to be accepted into one program but rejected from the other?

cool! can you attend both programs?

No you will have to with draw from one or the other, so that spot can go to someone else. If you wanna get accepted to all the ucla programs apply to the ucla/ucr and the md/phd ones as well.

No you will have to with draw from one or the other, so that spot can go to someone else. If you wanna get accepted to all the ucla programs apply to the ucla/ucr and the md/phd ones as well.

isn't the UCLA/UCR program only for UCR undergrads?