UCLA Extension x 400 classes: do they count for undergraduate GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

common man

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I finished my bachelor's degree at a 4 year university and would now like to do a "do it yourself post bacc" at UCLA Extension which itself is not a 4 year degree school.

Following info is from UCLA Extension's website:

"Many UCLA Extension courses qualify for academic credit at UCLA and other colleges and universities. All course numbers on this site prefixed with an "X" will lead to the award of academic credit upon satisfactory completion."

"X 400 to X 499: Generally post-baccalaureate credit-bearing courses and lecture series in professional fields; designed in content, focus, and presentation style to standards of instruction used in degree programs."

https://www.uclaextension.edu/str/FormsCredit.aspx

Here's an example of an x 400 class:
https://www.uclaextension.edu/r/Course.aspx?reg=V5633

Taken together, I assume that X 400 classes are post-bacc classes with academic credit. NOT "professional" or "continuing education" stuff. I am not sure if this assumption is correct so I am seeking to verify with anyone here. I'd be especially lucky to hear from someone who has taken x 400 courses at UCLA Extension, applied through AMCAS, and had those courses factor into the undergraduate GPA. To clarify, I know "XL" courses definitely count as undergraduate academic credit but I'm interested only in "X" courses.

I'd like to verify this before spending the time, money, and effort to take classes and be surprised during application time that "X" courses not count towards my undergraduate GPA or as academic credit. I know AMCAS requires you to report all of your classes but for example they will not calculate "professional classes" into your GPA.

I'm not concerned about reputation of an extension school, other alternatives, BCPM etc...

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like they're considered UG courses by UCLA, right? Why not check with the UCLA Ext registrar. They should be able to answer your question, as should AMCAS.

Sounds like they're considered UG courses by UCLA, right? Why not check with the UCLA Ext registrar. They should be able to answer your question, as should AMCAS.

Thanks for your reply. You're probably aware but UCLA Extension and UCLA, even though are affiliated are still considered two different schools. The "XL" courses are indeed offered through UCLA's undergraduate school. Same is not true for "X" classes and I am interested only in the "X" classes.

Yes, a friend of mine who is also interested in this called UCLA Extension & AMCAS. They did not give clear answers. I may have to call and hear from them myself but am checking with the forum first.

Thanks again for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually had the same question/concern. Were you able to find a definitive answer?

bump. I'm also interested in this.

I called up UCLA Extension and they said that it can be what "your transferring schools" deems it to be. Well that doesn't help because I am not transferring them - I just want to know what AMCAS will consider them. I know these classes provide academic credit units but UCLA Extension is not a degree granting school.

If anyone has taken these courses and is applying - I'd like to hear from you. Otherwise, when I get a chance 2 weeks later, I will call AMCAS if someone doesn't beat me to it. I'm looking to apply next summer of 2011.

All my UCLA Extension classes counted as "postbaccalaureate undergrad" and hence were factored into my science and overall GPAs. It matters more what dept they were in than the course number; stick to Phy Sci, Stats, and Math and you should be golden. :thumbup: I raised my sGPA a fair amount this way.

Reactions: 2 users
excellent! thanks for the info. yeah i just wanted to make sure that any course at ucla extension did count as college undergraduate academic credit.

All my UCLA Extension classes counted as "postbaccalaureate undergrad" and hence were factored into my science and overall GPAs. It matters more what dept they were in than the course number; stick to Phy Sci, Stats, and Math and you should be golden. :thumbup: I raised my sGPA a fair amount this way.
Were you a UCLA graduate or attending bachelors student while attending to UCLA Extension?

Which courses did you take at UCLA Extension?

Were you a UCLA graduate or attending bachelors student while attending to UCLA Extension?

Which courses did you take at UCLA Extension?

I graduated from another CA school and then started to take classes through Extension. I took 3 math courses (so I would have 1 year of college math, which some schools want) and a couple of science courses I didn't take at my alma mater. Like I said, take whatever, as long as the department it's in sounds like it would be a BCPM category.

I graduated from another CA school and then started to take classes through Extension. I took 3 math courses (so I would have 1 year of college math, which some schools want) and a couple of science courses I didn't take at my alma mater. Like I said, take whatever, as long as the department it's in sounds like it would be a BCPM category.
I wonder if you transferred those courses you took at UCLA Extension back to your alma mater. Did you cross-enroll?

Sorry to dig this up, but just to clarify: Will a UCLA Extension 'X' designated course (as in not 'XL' or 'XLC, but specifically 'X') from a science department count toward BCPM GPA in AMCAS?

I'm looking at a course in the Physiology department that has an 'X' designation and has a syllabus that is comparable to similar courses I've seen elsewhere. The one thing that makes it feel bogus is that there is no prerequisite coursework, just warning that you should probably have some background knowledge of bio/chem/physics.

Last edited:
Sorry to dig this up, but just to clarify: Will a UCLA Extension 'X' designated course (as in not 'XL' or 'XLC, but specifically 'X') from a science department count toward BCPM GPA in AMCAS?

As I understand it, only degree credit class (noted with an “XL”) will count toward your science requirements. So your "X" course will not count.

As I understand it, only degree credit class (noted with an “XL”) will count toward your science requirements. So your "X" course will not count.
What? Why on earth would that be true? I just took a Cardiac physiology course with the label 499x (which I didn't know was an issue)...how would that not count as a BCPM course?

Where are you seeing Cardiac Physiology? Please cut and paste the description for me and I'll research it for you.

Where are you seeing Cardiac Physiology? Please cut and paste the description for me and I'll research it for you.
One of the other UC Extensions...same numbering scheme. I looked it up and it does say it counts as "graduate", but they have their postbacc students take it, so...
I'll be pissed if the 499s don't count; I need gpa repair and I have already taken all of the lower levels they offer (and that CCs offer). Plus, tbh, the classes aren't difficult enough for me to consider them graduate level.

Last edited:
One of the other UC Extensions...same numbering scheme. I looked it up and it does say it counts as "graduate", but they have their postbacc students take it, so...
I'll be pissed if the 499s don't count; I need gpa repair and I have already taken all of the lower levels they offer (and that CCs offer). Plus, tbh, the classes aren't difficult enough for me to consider them graduate level.

Sorry, when you said "other UC Extensions" did you mean to say you took a course offered by UCLA Extension school or at another UC school? Because I'm specifically referring to UCLA Extension and can't speak for other schools. I looked up UCLA Extension courses and can't find the course you mentioned. Please send me a link to that course so I can research it for you. Here is a link to all the BCPM classes listed for pre-meds at UCLA Extension, and all of them have an “XL” prefix.

https://www.uclaextension.edu/preMedCert/Pages/studies.aspx

Alternatively, you can take a look at this site. It gives you a list of undergraduate courses that count towards BCPM.

https://www.uclaextension.edu/pages/ProgramDetails.aspx?reg=CF075

On a related note, here is yet another site for you to look at (https://www.uclaextension.edu/Pages/str/FormsCredit.aspx). Basically, it tells you that numbers accompanying the XL or X courses are "lower/upper division undergraduate" or "post-baccalaureate." For example, it tells you that 1-399 classes are undergraduate courses, while 400-499 are graduate (post bacc). So, to answer your question: X499 is considered to be a graduate course (aka "post bacc"). As far as I know, graduate courses do NOT count when calculating BCPM GPA (only undergrad courses do).

My advice for you is to call AMCAS directly and ask them to clarify your question. I'd be interested to know what they'll say.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry, when you said "other UC Extensions" did you mean to say you took a course offered by UCLA Extension school or at another UC school? Because I'm specifically referring to UCLA Extension and can't speak for other schools. I looked up UCLA Extension courses and can't find the course you mentioned. Please send me a link to that course so I can research it for you. Here is a link to all the BCPM classes listed for pre-meds at UCLA Extension, and all of them have an “XL” prefix.

https://www.uclaextension.edu/preMedCert/Pages/studies.aspx

Alternatively, you can take a look at this site. It gives you a list of undergraduate courses that count towards BCPM.

https://www.uclaextension.edu/pages/ProgramDetails.aspx?reg=CF075

On a related note, here is yet another site for you to look at (https://www.uclaextension.edu/Pages/str/FormsCredit.aspx). Basically, it tells you that numbers accompanying the XL or X courses are "lower/upper division undergraduate" or "post-baccalaureate." For example, it tells you that 1-399 classes are undergraduate courses, while 400-499 are graduate (post bacc). So, to answer your question: X499 is considered to be a graduate course (aka "post bacc"). As far as I know, graduate courses do NOT count when calculating BCPM GPA (only undergrad courses do).

My advice for you is to call AMCAS directly and ask them to clarify your question. I'd be interested to know what they'll say.
You're putting postbacc in both categories (ugrad and grad) in your post.
My point was that their official postbacc students take the class, which seems silly if it would not, in fact, count as an ugrad course.
I'm not certain why you are so insistent on researching it for me (though I am very grateful for your generosity), I am quite capable of digging around on the internet myself. I was referring to a UC Berkeley extension course, but the only difference on the 'Credit' descriptions between the two is that UCLA extension does the terrible and ill-advised quarter system, which UCBX thankfully does not. I don't expect an official answer without calling them myself; I wouldn't expect you to be able to speak for UCBX or UCLAX...I was looking more for discussion. On this aspect, UCLAX and UCBX have the same stated policy...which is nonsensical given the purpose of their schools, the presence of their postbacc program (which utilizes these 'x499' courses itself), and honestly, I think it's ridiculous that they think the courses qualify as graduate level.
Seriously, the ONE advantage they had over my local community college was that they actually offered upper level courses. If those don't count? I'm hosed. And I'm out their ridiculous tuition. And more importantly, I've wasted one of my precious schedule slots on a course which won't help my gpa.

You're putting postbacc in both categories (ugrad and grad) in your post.

No, I did not put Post Bacc as both categories, please re-read my prior message carefully. I was referring to the fact that UCLA Extension school offers lower division undergrad courses (1-99) AND upper division undergraduate courses (100 - 199) AND post-baccalaureate courses (400 - 499). My main point was, your X499 course is considered a post bacc level, which means it's NOT an undergrad level course. By definition, "Post bac” means after baccalaureate, so these courses would not be undergraduate level classes. Not by UCLA Extension school anyway. I can't speak for other UC schools like UC Berkeley, etc.

I'm not certain why you are so insistent on researching it for me (though I am very grateful for your generosity), I am quite capable of digging around on the internet myself.
As far as researching it for you, it has to do less with generosity and more with helping other students who are in the same boat as you and me and are trying to figure this out too.

I was referring to a UC Berkeley extension course, but the only difference on the 'Credit' descriptions between the two is that UCLA extension does the terrible and ill-advised quarter system, which UCBX thankfully does not. I don't expect an official answer without calling them myself; I wouldn't expect you to be able to speak for UCBX or UCLAX...I was looking more for discussion. On this aspect, UCLAX and UCBX have the same stated policy...which is nonsensical given the purpose of their schools, the presence of their postbacc program (which utilizes these 'x499' courses itself), and honestly, I think it's ridiculous that they think the courses qualify as graduate level.
Seriously, the ONE advantage they had over my local community college was that they actually offered upper level courses. If those don't count? I'm hosed. And I'm out their ridiculous tuition. And more importantly, I've wasted one of my precious schedule slots on a course which won't help my gpa.

I see what you are saying. You are right, I can't speak for UC Berkeley Extension since I'm not taking classes there. My answer was specifically referring to courses taken at UCLA Extension.

No, see, a post-bacc course IS an undergraduate course. I was more perplexed by these two adjacent sentences:
PTWOB02 said:
numbers accompanying the XL or X courses are "lower/upper division undergraduate" or "post-baccalaureate." For example, it tells you that 1-399 classes are undergraduate courses, while 400-499 are graduate (post bacc).
Graduate is graduate...I can see absolutely no utility in taking a graduate level course not at the institution granting you a graduate degree, because honestly, no one really gives much credit to graduate coursework outside of its own program. Post-baccalaureate work is undergrad work which is not intended to earn another degree taken by a student who has already finished their baccalaureate. Its main purpose is to increase GPA and/or finish prerequisites.

Question, does anyone have an update answer on this? I was looking into taking upper division courses but they only offer X-400 and etc. Do medical schools question those courses? Thanks.