UCLA Extension: XL400-499 or X400-499 level courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KittyKat00

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone who has done UCLA Extension know whether classes in the Physiological Sciences Department labeled 400 X (Ex. Physiological Science X 459.10 Introduction to Pathophysiology: Disease States in the Human Body) count towards postbac science (BCPM) GPA? The people at the office seem to know nothing. It's really quite frustrating. I also asked AMCAS and they could not answer the question. They said when you fill out your app, you can list the courses under whatever category you think they go under. If there is some discrepancy they will change it and notify the schools. Which is great, but I want to know ahead of time before taking the course. If it doesn't count towards the BCPM gpa then there is really no point in taking it. I just don't understand why it is such a difficult question to get an answer for.

Members don't see this ad.

i think its a crapshoot. it sounds pretty similar to class that is offered at my school that is listed as a Public Health class, which doesn't count towards the sGPA. i also took a class called "the science of womens bodies" that was a phys class about women, but it wont count towards my sGPA because it was cross-listed as a womens studies course. bottom line is, don't take something because you think it could help your sGPA, take it because you either have to or because you have a genuine interest in it.

1. It's under the physiology department
2. Class title is "Disease States in the Human Body" - sounds like a human biology course.

It really depends on the content of the class, check the one paragraph class description associated with the course. Superficially, it sounds like a biology class to me ergo I think it should count as BCPM.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
1. It's under the physiology department
2. Class title is "Disease States in the Human Body" - sounds like a human biology course.

It really depends on the content of the class, check the one paragraph class description associated with the course. Superficially, it sounds like a biology class to me ergo I think it should count as BCPM.

Not true. There are several phys classes at my school which aren't part of the biology department, therefore are not counted as BCPM.

i think its a crapshoot. it sounds pretty similar to class that is offered at my school that is listed as a Public Health class, which doesn't count towards the sGPA. i also took a class called "the science of womens bodies" that was a phys class about women, but it wont count towards my sGPA because it was cross-listed as a womens studies course. bottom line is, don't take something because you think it could help your sGPA, take it because you either have to or because you have a genuine interest in it.

I'm not paying $600-$700 for each of these classes simply because I have an interest in them, I'm taking them to raise my post bac sGPA....

I'm not paying $600-$700 for each of these classes simply because I have an interest in them, I'm taking them to raise my post bac sGPA....

then take classes that are from the biology, chemistry, physics, or math departments so you don't have to worry about it

Not true. There are several phys classes at my school which aren't part of the biology department, therefore are not counted as BCPM.

But I though physiology courses are considered apart of BCPM based on this guide on the AMCAS website?... https://www.aamc.org/students/download/181694/data/amcas_course_classification_guide.pdf

I'm asking if the 4xx category courses at UCLA extension are considered as apart of post bac sGPA or not, not the subject type of the class.

But I though physiology courses are considered apart of BCPM based on this guide on the AMCAS website?... https://www.aamc.org/students/download/181694/data/amcas_course_classification_guide.pdf

I'm asking if the 4xx category courses at UCLA extension are considered as apart of post bac sGPA or not, not the subject type of the class.

yes, physiology is considered BCPM if offered through the biology department. however, like i mentioned, at my school there are several physiology classes that are offered through other departments such as Public Health that do not count. i am not familiar with how UCLA structures their course numbers, but for example, if it were at my school and the class was BIO 450 - Introduction to Pathophysiology: Disease States in the Human Body, it would count. but if it were PHE 450 - Introduction to Pathophysiology: Disease States in the Human Body, it would not. and the whole reason i'm saying this is because the course sounds identical to several that my school offers, which fall under the PHE designation.

Are you in a do-it-yourself post bac? If it's a formal post-bac, then an advisor would have dealt with this question before. Otherwise, hopefully someone on SDN who has actually done UCLA extension can give their 2 cent - I have no idea and can only give a blind guess.

Why do you think it wouldn't count, just because its 4xx? BCPM only matters based on course content imo.

Are you in a do-it-yourself post bac? If it's a formal post-bac, then an advisor would have dealt with this question before. Otherwise, hopefully someone on SDN who has actually done UCLA extension can give their 2 cent - I have no idea and can only give a blind guess.

Why do you think it wouldn't count, just because its 4xx? BCPM only matters based on course content imo.

--------------------------

It's informal. I only ask because the administration office said they're considered to be taught at a lower div level. I'm just worried if they're considered too "easy" to count towards post bac sGPA.

--------------------------

It's informal. I only ask because the administration office said they're considered to be taught at a lower div level. I'm just worried if they're considered too "easy" to count towards post bac sGPA.
Upper/lower div has nothing to do with whether or not a given class is BCPM. I have never heard of a class at UCLA under the bio department that was not BCPM, and that includes the research "class." BTW, you might want to change your profile pic to protect your anonymity; you look kinda familiar. Anyway, good luck.

so..do the x 400 classes count toward BCPM/ sgpa? I called them, the guy said the x 400 classes are just for fun, they dont count toward anything...

Does anyone who has done UCLA Extension know whether classes in the Physiological Sciences Department labeled 400 X (Ex. Physiological Science X 459.10 Introduction to Pathophysiology: Disease States in the Human Body) count towards postbac science (BCPM) GPA? The people at the office seem to know nothing. It's really quite frustrating. I also asked AMCAS and they could not answer the question. They said when you fill out your app, you can list the courses under whatever category you think they go under. If there is some discrepancy they will change it and notify the schools. Which is great, but I want to know ahead of time before taking the course. If it doesn't count towards the BCPM gpa then there is really no point in taking it. I just don't understand why it is such a difficult question to get an answer for.

A class called Pathophysiology in the Physiological Sciences department is 99.9% going to be counted as a BCPM course. I even had Psychopathology, from the psych department, counted as a BCPM course...

Post bacc just means you took the class after finishing your undergraduate degree.

Source: I completed a post bacc

so..do the x 400 classes count toward BCPM/ sgpa? I called them, the guy said the x 400 classes are just for fun, they dont count toward anything...

Hi! Yes, they ended up counting towards my BCPM on my AMCAS app. I ended up taking Pulmonary Physio, Cardiopath, and pathiphysio. Good luck!

Hi! Yes, they ended up counting towards my BCPM on my AMCAS app. I ended up taking Pulmonary Physio, Cardiopath, and pathiphysio. Good luck!

Hi sorry to dig up this post..do you mind me asking if the pulmonary physiology class was online? I am considering taking an online course at UCLA extension this fall, but I was concerned about how online classes would look to admission. Did your transcripts end up showing it as online? If so, did admissions seem to care in your interviews?