UCLA Fielding SPH - Fall 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
thanks for the info hopefulchanger.

soomee I think that is the university wide policy, I also know that you can get a GSR/TA position outside of the SPH and still get the tuition remission. so if you have a background in like psychology or biology you could be a biology TA and still get the remission.

Members don't see this ad.

They don't make the financial aid package available until you formally accept. Since they waived the deposit, technically you could go ahead and accept just to see the package...

I see, thanks for the reply. It looks like most schools are doing this. I just read your other post about UCLA not recommending us to do that. I'm just curious as to how the schools expect us to commit if we don't know what kind of fin aid we're getting. I do understand that a lot of the fin aid (excluding scholarships) are loans though :(

It's great that you were able to get money for the CHS PhD program...I got into the PhD epi program but didn't get anything. :(

Also, is the tuition remission for GSR/TA positions university wide? I did not know about this...will have to check up on this.

Sorry for the confusion. I'm not in the CHS PhD program. I'm in the MPH program but I noticed there were 3 PhDs in attendance.

Members don't see this ad :)
I see, thanks for the reply. It looks like most schools are doing this. I just read your other post about UCLA not recommending us to do that. I'm just curious as to how the schools expect us to commit if we don't know what kind of fin aid we're getting. I do understand that a lot of the fin aid (excluding scholarships) are loans though :(

Sorry for the conflicting posts! I just reported what I heard yesterday. The CHS student affairs officer initially told me ePALs would be available March 15. I still haven't seen anything posted there so I'm not sure what's going on with that.

I agree that the financial aid makes a big difference. :/ I guess you could also try calling the financial aid office in case they have a different answer for you.

thanks for the info. if there are any CHS PhD applicants on here I'd love to hear our thoughts about the day, or just thoughts in general
thanks!

Sorry for the conflicting posts! I just reported what I heard yesterday. The CHS student affairs officer initially told me ePALs would be available March 15. I still haven't seen anything posted there so I'm not sure what's going on with that.

I agree that the financial aid makes a big difference. :/ I guess you could also try calling the financial aid office in case they have a different answer for you.

No worries, I appreciate you giving us update on info that you have received. I logged into URSA and didn't see an ePAL ether but saw the link for an ePAL with a description that one hasn't been generated. It mention something how graduate students won't get one until their admissions status has been updated with the graduate affairs office, so I think that prolly means what you said earlier about completing the SIR first :confused: I might call them and double check.

I emailed the financial aid office, stated my dilemma regarding knowing my financial aid award before accepting, and they said 'provisional awards will be released in early April'. The message was complete with a '...'

Very helpful, UCLA. =/

The Provisional Award Letter (ePAL) from the FinAid Office is available on the URSA. I did not get an e-mail, I happened to check on the portal.

The electronic letter is dated March 22nd. (I accepted UCLA's admission offer on March 9th.) If you are still waiting to hear word about financial aid before making a decision, I am not sure how you will be notified since I heard from them after I completed the intention to register and the proof of residency. However, in case others are curious, for an "independent, California resident, living on campus" the total COA is $43,189 (tuition, fees, books/supplies, and living expenses). Obviously, this will vary if you are from out-of-state and/or if you have other living arrangements. (Note: The letter is provisional and does not include potential or awarded departmental scholarships/grants. This will be recalculated for the Financial Aid Notification [eFAN], which is the final word on financial aid.)

For whatever reservations folks may have about other departments, I have had nothing but positive interactions with the Department of Health Policy & Management. So, if you are on the same boat as I am in the fall, take note that we will be in good company. :D

Good luck to those still waiting to make decisions.

For those interested in the health policy and management tracks and/or still making decisions, I am told by the department that they accept about 25-30 students for the department as a whole (i.e., both policy and management tracks). I think this number is smaller in general and parallels other top-notched programs. (I personally like a small cohort, so I am excited to hear this.) Also, I am told that most recently about half each pursued each track but that historically there are more students pursuing the management track. Lastly, I am told that there is a handful who pursue both tracks (which I did not think was possible).

The Provisional Award Letter (ePAL) from the FinAid Office is available on the URSA. I did not get an e-mail, I happened to check on the portal.

The electronic letter is dated March 22nd. (I accepted UCLA's admission offer on March 9th.) If you are still waiting to hear word about financial aid before making a decision, I am not sure how you will be notified since I heard from them after I completed the intention to register and the proof of residency. However, in case others are curious, for an "independent, California resident, living on campus" the total COA is $43,189 (tuition, fees, books/supplies, and living expenses). Obviously, this will vary if you are from out-of-state and/or if you have other living arrangements. (Note: The letter is provisional and does not include potential or awarded departmental scholarships/grants. This will be recalculated for the Financial Aid Notification [eFAN], which is the final word on financial aid.)

For whatever reservations folks may have about other departments, I have had nothing but positive interactions with the Department of Health Policy & Management. So, if you are on the same boat as I am in the fall, take note that we will be in good company. :D

Good luck to those still waiting to make decisions.
I have NOT accepted UCLA's offer and received an email notifying me that my award information was ready. I didn't expect this to be the case (financial aid information available prior to accepting offer) based on information provided at admit day.

Anyway, just an FYI to anyone for whom this info might help.

Has anyone been successful in securing a GSR position or any kind of funding (particularly for those entering the PhD program)?

I was accepted to the PhD Epi program but with no aid. I was told that the Epi department is not offering any fellowships or scholarships this year. All of the professors I've contacted do not have the resources to take on a student either.

It is just so frustrating that no PhD students are awarded any type of aid...You're expected to accept the offer and enroll without a clear grasp of your funding situation. If things don't work out, you're forced to pay for it. I don't understand how the economically disadvantaged, who don't want to take out MORE loans, are expected to pursue this opportunity if no aid is awarded and almost no professors can provide any help? I thought the school received a huge grant this past year, hence the name change? What happened to the money?

Excuse the rant...I'm so frustrated.

that is super frustrating soomee, did they give you any indication of the funding if there may be some later or if they are working on it--or did they just say that it won't be available at all?

you may also be able to find a GSR or TA position outside of the SPH

Members don't see this ad :)
Soomee, I'm sorry to say I don't have any info to offer (not a PhD student). Is there a specific faculty member you've been in touch with/who you'd probably work with? It might be worth letting them know the situation and that you might have to choose another program based on funding alone.

Your post also made me wonder: other MPH students, now can't be the time to start looking for GSRs, can it? Or am I already behind?

Soomee, I'm sorry to say I don't have any info to offer (not a PhD student). Is there a specific faculty member you've been in touch with/who you'd probably work with? It might be worth letting them know the situation and that you might have to choose another program based on funding alone.

Your post also made me wonder: other MPH students, now can't be the time to start looking for GSRs, can it? Or am I already behind?

According to my correspondence w/ the school, GSR and Special Reader/TA positions are not typically obtained during the 1st quarter. For one thing it will take time for new students to get acquainted w/ faculty who may or may not have GSR positions available. I am told that in the Center for Health Policy Research it is rare, though not impossible, for 1st year students to secure GSR positions unless you have extensive experience for which the Center may benefit, such as extensive quantitative background (e.g., a strong handling of SAS/STATA). Special Reader/TA positions are not available during the 1st quarter for the simple reason that you will need to have taken the course before you can TA for it. So, while there seems to be graduate-level positions for which tuition remissions are available, these may not be available right at the get-go.

I hope this helps! :D

According to my correspondence w/ the school, GSR and Special Reader/TA positions are not typically obtained during the 1st quarter. For one thing it will take time for new students to get acquainted w/ faculty who may or may not have GSR positions available. I am told that in the Center for Health Policy Research it is rare, though not impossible, for 1st year students to secure GSR positions unless you have extensive experience for which the Center may benefit, such as extensive quantitative background (e.g., a strong handling of SAS/STATA). Special Reader/TA positions are not available during the 1st quarter for the simple reason that you will need to have taken the course before you can TA for it. So, while there seems to be graduate-level positions for which tuition remissions are available, these may not be available right at the get-go.

I hope this helps! :D

It certainly does! Thank you!

The faculty members I've contacted are all not sure of their own funding situation and are unwilling to offer any promises of paid positions. It's sort of a 'if and when' they get funding scenario...you enroll at your own risk, I guess.

I wonder how the other doctoral students are paying for their positions? With TA/Special Reader positions out of the question, and GSR positions being so rare, it leaves us students with very little choices.

The faculty members I've contacted are all not sure of their own funding situation and are unwilling to offer any promises of paid positions. It's sort of a 'if and when' they get funding scenario...you enroll at your own risk, I guess.

I wonder how the other doctoral students are paying for their positions? With TA/Special Reader positions out of the question, and GSR positions being so rare, it leaves us students with very little choices.

There was a current PhD student in CHS at Admitted Students Day. He mentioned that he was able to get several GSR positions throughout his time at UCLA (I think he also got his MPH there). Some of them aren't even directly research positions; I think he said that he was making videos for one professor.

So I didn't get a chance to attend the admitted students day, but thanks hopefulchanger for the perspective from the events. Was wondering if anyone knew what UCLA's policies are for deferring admissions. I still plan to visit the school and EHS department next week to talk to some professors and students, but I'm not sure of my options right now as I didn't get any substantial scholarships to the schools that I was admitted to and debt will be something I have to take into account (although in-state tuition at UCLA is still a better option for me vs the out of state from other schools).

There was a current PhD student in CHS at Admitted Students Day. He mentioned that he was able to get several GSR positions throughout his time at UCLA (I think he also got his MPH there). Some of them aren't even directly research positions; I think he said that he was making videos for one professor.

I wonder how many students are able to align a GSR position with their doctoral research? Or are these two completely different things and you just need to manage time wisely doing several jobs at once?

UCLA does not offer deferments; their website states so. I also wish I can defer since there is no guarantee of acceptance if I reapply next year.

So I didn't get a chance to attend the admitted students day, but thanks hopefulchanger for the perspective from the events. Was wondering if anyone knew what UCLA's policies are for deferring admissions. I still plan to visit the school and EHS department next week to talk to some professors and students, but I'm not sure of my options right now as I didn't get any substantial scholarships to the schools that I was admitted to and debt will be something I have to take into account (although in-state tuition at UCLA is still a better option for me vs the out of state from other schools).

From the website "UCLA does not offer deferrals. You must re-submit both SOPHAS and UCLA graduate application for the following year." (http://ph.ucla.edu/content/student-affairs/prospective-students/faq/faq-prospective-students). I'm not sure if they make exceptions.

I have decided to accept UCLA's Epi MPH offer for Fall. *cha-ching* Bring on the debt :prof:

I logged into URSA yesterday and found a lot of links available. I could access the housing application, work study jobs, BruinView (other jobs database), and even my g.ucla.edu email account.

Exciting!

I logged into URSA yesterday and found a lot of links available. I could access the housing application, work study jobs, BruinView (other jobs database), and even my g.ucla.edu email account.

Exciting!

do you need to accept the SIR to see these links? i logged into mine but don't see anything =/

Hola, fellow Bruins! :D

Is anyone considering pursuing the Global Health Certificate? There is a very good chance I will be tacking it on to complement my health policy focus. I am asking the GH program questions about it (e.g., additional costs, timeline, etc.). On the website there is a good outline of expectations and timeframe, but I do wonder if it will cost additional tuition.

I will share with ya'll once I hear from the program.

Also, now and then I check the URSA, and it does get updated. UCLA does not seem to send "check your URSA" emails. So, I suggest checking yours on a regular basis. For instance, I have had multiple updates to my FinAid info since I initially submitted my SIR a month ago - and I never received emails about them. I guess they want us to be responsible adults about it. ;)

So I visited ucla last week and had a good impression of my department, but didn't really get to see other departments and Fielding in general (aside from the cool murals at the entrance). Everything felt a bit decentralized and I didn't really ask for a tour of the building. I noticed that Fielding was under construction and that the layout of the building is kind of confusing since it was the old hospital building. To my main point, for those who visited ucla already, did you find out about if students have access to a lot of resources in Fielding like study rooms, printing etc. This isn't a big deal, but I was a bit curious. The ehs department on the 5th floor had a small study room, but I wasn't sure about Fielding in general in terms of facilities.

So I visited ucla last week and had a good impression of my department, but didn't really get to see other departments and Fielding in general (aside from the cool murals at the entrance). Everything felt a bit decentralized and I didn't really ask for a tour of the building. I noticed that Fielding was under construction and that the layout of the building is kind of confusing since it was the old hospital building. To my main point, for those who visited ucla already, did you find out about if students have access to a lot of resources in Fielding like study rooms, printing etc. This isn't a big deal, but I was a bit curious. The ehs department on the 5th floor had a small study room, but I wasn't sure about Fielding in general in terms of facilities.

It's definitely a confusing building!!!

When I visited they indicated that the construction involves the addition of some conference rooms. Construction should finish around October. Not sure what the printing situation is like. I think students study in the biomed library. They also mentioned there's a grad student resource center.

I didn't go on the "campus tour" on Admitted Students Day, but my friend that went said they didn't even go in the building...

It's definitely a confusing building!!!

When I visited they indicated that the construction involves the addition of some conference rooms. Construction should finish around October. Not sure what the printing situation is like. I think students study in the biomed library. They also mentioned there's a grad student resource center.

I didn't go on the "campus tour" on Admitted Students Day, but my friend that went said they didn't even go in the building...

Thanks for the info and link to the gsa website! I think its good that there is a grad student resource center in general for studying, help with writing and study spaces, but I had thought that there was a general resource center for FSPH students. My cousins who are undergrads at UCLA gave me a tour of the campus and I did notice that there was a lot of resources for students in general in terms of adequate study places, libraries outside of the CHS building.

So I decided that UCLA is where I want to be. The opportunities to work with community health and health disparities with regards to environmental health are endless and the wide variety of research interests of the faculty in my program have made a big difference. I will definitely be looking forward to eating good food, being close-ish to my family and appreciating awesome weather year round again. Go Bruins! :D

So I decided that UCLA is where I want to be. The opportunities to work with community health and health disparities with regards to environmental health are endless and the wide variety of research interests of the faculty in my program have made a big difference. I will definitely be looking forward to eating good food, being close-ish to my family and appreciating awesome weather year round again. Go Bruins! :D

YAY!!! :) :cool:

See you in the Fall!

Hey guys!

Anyone got a reply from UCLA EHS department? I have applied for MPH in EHS and I still have not heard from them. When I contacted the admissions office, they told me that my file was still being reviewed. Does that mean I failed to get a place? Any info would be highly appreciated! I am very nervous!

Congratulations! I'll be in the HPM Department. See you around! :D

Hola, fellow Bruins! :D

Is anyone considering pursuing the Global Health Certificate? There is a very good chance I will be tacking it on to complement my health policy focus. I am asking the GH program questions about it (e.g., additional costs, timeline, etc.). On the website there is a good outline of expectations and timeframe, but I do wonder if it will cost additional tuition.

I will share with ya'll once I hear from the program.

Also, now and then I check the URSA, and it does get updated. UCLA does not seem to send "check your URSA" emails. So, I suggest checking yours on a regular basis. For instance, I have had multiple updates to my FinAid info since I initially submitted my SIR a month ago - and I never received emails about them. I guess they want us to be responsible adults about it. ;)

I received word from the Global Health Program. It seems that the certificate will not accrue additional financial costs, though whoever responded to my email actually did not address this specific question. Since (some of) the certificate courses can be used to fulfill departmental electives, I can see why it would not cost additional tuition to complete the program. Also, since the 2-yr MPH requires field work, doing it abroad can fulfill both departmental and global health requirements. Lastly, if you are in the HPM department, I specifically ask if other HPM students have completed the certificate in a timely manner. I am told other HPM students have and do.

I received word from the Global Health Program. It seems that the certificate will not accrue additional financial costs, though whoever responded to my email actually did not address this specific question. Since (some of) the certificate courses can be used to fulfill departmental electives, I can see why it would not cost additional tuition to complete the program. Also, since the 2-yr MPH requires field work, doing it abroad can fulfill both departmental and global health requirements. Lastly, if you are in the HPM department, I specifically ask if other HPM students have completed the certificate in a timely manner. I am told other HPM students have and do.

Thanks for looking into this (and sharing what you found). Do you know whether we can elect to pursue this global health certificate once the fall starts, or is it something that was meant to be specified in our applications? I'd really, really like to do non-US practicum, and this seems like a great way get there.

Thanks for looking into this (and sharing what you found). Do you know whether we can elect to pursue this global health certificate once the fall starts, or is it something that was meant to be specified in our applications? I'd really, really like to do non-US practicum, and this seems like a great way get there.

Yes, you can start this in the fall. There is no specific timeline as long as the requirements are met within the time frame that you are within your specified department. So, if you are pursuing the 2-yr MPH, then you have 2 years to complete the certificate. I did not mention my interest in the certificate until after I was admitted, though I had every intention of pursuing it. During the application period, my essays focused entirely on my interest in the HPM department. I agree with you, my interest is in doing a practicum abroad. The certificate will facilitate this.

Thanks porkbuns and hopeful! I will definitely see you in the fall. So I had a question I was hoping maybe you guys could answer or provide perspective on. I submitted my SIR and SLR yesterday. Everything seemed straightforward for me to be able to receive in-state tuition as a California resident, but I had to clarify on the form about my absence from California for undergraduate school and I'm not sure how they will determine my financial independence requirement since I was claimed as an dependent on my parent's taxes in the past two years. Do you know if UCLA is pretty strict about declaring residency for students who are residents of California? Just curious, was kind of worried I would have to pay-out-of-state.

@vpmwar: Did you contact the general admission office or did you contact Rebecca Greenberg in the EHS department? That's pretty late for them to still have not replied, but I don't think that's uncommon. I wish you the best of luck on your admission notification. Don't forget to check that graduate admission decision link just in case too!

Thanks porkbuns and hopeful! I will definitely see you in the fall. So I had a question I was hoping maybe you guys could answer or provide perspective on. I submitted my SIR and SLR yesterday. Everything seemed straightforward for me to be able to receive in-state tuition as a California resident, but I had to clarify on the form about my absence from California for undergraduate school and I'm not sure how they will determine my financial independence requirement since I was claimed as an dependent on my parent's taxes in the past two years. Do you know if UCLA is pretty strict about declaring residency for students who are residents of California? Just curious, was kind of worried I would have to pay-out-of-state.

In a few weeks' time, you will receive a letter explaining what you need to do in order for the registrar's office to confirm your California residence. For example, I am a California resident but have not lived in California for the past 2 years. (I am in Boston for fellowship training.) I also have not lived in California, off and on, for the better part of the last 20 years - college, abroad, etc.

In the letter it asks to provide both my 2011 and 2012 California income taxes, including your W2's. (Yes, I know.). It also asks a clear listing of dates that you were physically present in California. (I made a separate Word document because there was no space in the letter they provided.) Lastly, if you are not currently in California, they will ask your current employer - or whoever you are working under - to state on company letter head that your permanent residency is in California.

...so, I suggest getting your paperwork in order. :D

In my experience the online URSA has been good with the updates. Check it now and then.

Keep calling and asking about your status. I called and called and called some more and then they asked for me to send my updated transcript. I got an email from the program director yesterday offering me an admission and funding. Goodluck :)

I made a fb group for everyone that was admitted :)

UCLA School of Public Health Entering Class 2013

In a few weeks' time, you will receive a letter explaining what you need to do in order for the registrar's office to confirm your California residence. For example, I am a California resident but have not lived in California for the past 2 years. (I am in Boston for fellowship training.) I also have not lived in California, off and on, for the better part of the last 20 years - college, abroad, etc.

In the letter it asks to provide both my 2011 and 2012 California income taxes, including your W2's. (Yes, I know.). It also asks a clear listing of dates that you were physically present in California. (I made a separate Word document because there was no space in the letter they provided.) Lastly, if you are not currently in California, they will ask your current employer - or whoever you are working under - to state on company letter head that your permanent residency is in California.

...so, I suggest getting your paperwork in order. :D

In my experience the online URSA has been good with the updates. Check it now and then.

Oh wow, they are serious! Thanks a lot, this was very helpful as for what to expect. That's a hefty amount of paperwork, but it's understandable since declaring or providing resident status at any public institution is a big deal.

@lordchrono I contacted Rebecca Greenberg. Perhaps I should call them admissions office and keep asking them about my application status as @Miss EHS suggests. They did ask me for an updated transcript though :-/ Thanks for the info you guys! Fingers crossed!

Yes, you can start this in the fall. There is no specific timeline as long as the requirements are met within the time frame that you are within your specified department. So, if you are pursuing the 2-yr MPH, then you have 2 years to complete the certificate. I did not mention my interest in the certificate until after I was admitted, though I had every intention of pursuing it. During the application period, my essays focused entirely on my interest in the HPM department. I agree with you, my interest is in doing a practicum abroad. The certificate will facilitate this.

I know a second-year in the program who did his practicum in the Philippines last summer. I don't think he has the global health certificate. I think having it would increase your chances, but not having it wouldn't necessarily exclude you from traveling internationally.

The Times Higher Education Ranking 2013 was recently published. UCLA and Berkeley are in the top 10, at ranks # 8 and 5, respectively - the only public U.S. universities in the top 10. Not bad, eh? We will certainly be in good company come fall. :D

Looks like I'll be headed to UCLA this fall! For those of you not doing campus housing how/when are you going about finding housing since school starts in late Sept there isn't a huge rush but I'm just looking for a place to start.

I'm planning to look in the Palms area (craigslist, hotpads, asking around). Probably will start my search in August. I already live in LA County, but too far from campus.