UCLA IDP 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dental_passion

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello guys, let's share our updates and experience for UCLA here. Good luck everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

hey dental_passion.

Did you apply to all or some of the CAAPID school? When did you send your app for UCLA

I have a question about UCLA. Is the school rolling basis or do they send out interview invites once the deadline is over.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. Will I still have shot with out NBDE 2? Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi. I cleared NBDE 1 in March and took NBDE 2 with in 2 months. I did not get enough time to prepare as I work 45 hrs a week so ended up getting 74 in NBDE 2. I am retaking it in July. I see that UCLA gives preference to NBDE 2 candidates. I think I have good resume except for NBDE 2. I got graduated from Johns Hopkins in 2012 and since then I have been working on H1B visa and have research, volunteer and shadowing dentist experience. Though I have not included letter from Dentist as I included letter from my Hopkins professor. I checked with UCLA to see if they consider my part 2 later after deadline since my results would be out only in first week of August. They said nothing post July 8 would be considered. My stats
6 months experience in India as lecturer
MPH from Johns Hopkins
GPA: 3.6
Toefl: 102
Worked as Public Health Analyst for 2 yrs and been working as Health Care Business Analyst for 2 yrs. Will I still have shot with out NBDE 2? Thanks for reading and sorry for the long message. NBDE 2 score really tore me apart. I infact got 375/500. My day 2 was pathetic and I didn't get to take even a day off from work to prepare for my exam. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again!
Hey,
In CAAPID they are requiring Part 1.
Whoever said they give preference to people who have part 2 is because they probably didn't do volunteer work or didn't get a MPH like you did. So one thing out weighted the other. Is all about the whole package. You have good stats and your hard work is what matters. I believe you still have a good change because you attended Johns Hopkins which gives you more background than the majority that can't get accepted into a MPH or Post Bacc. Try to make you Application as appealing as possible and don't give up. Best wishes. ;)

Hey,
In CAAPID they are requiring Part 1.
Whoever said they give preference to people who have part 2 is because they probably didn't do volunteer work or didn't get a MPH like you did. So one thing out weighted the other. Is all about the whole package. You have good stats and your hard work is what matters. I believe you still have a good change because you attended Johns Hopkins which gives you more background than the majority that can't get accepted into a MPH or Post Bacc. Try to make you Application as appealing as possible and don't give up. Best wishes. ;)
Thank you so much for the response and positive words :)

guys.. has anyone ever got accepted at ucla with just part 1???

does it make sense to still apply to Ucla or is it too late? any idea when do they conduct their IV and bench exam is it october or november? thanks

They don't say if they're by rolling basis or not. I may be mistaken but it may not be too late. Don't quote me on this, if anyone who has solid evidence please come forward.

if ur application reaches before 8th july.. u r not late

Does anyone knows what does the postmarked deadline for supplemental documents is 8th July means (given in UCLA supplemental email)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone knows what does the postmarked deadline for supplemental documents is 8th July means (given in UCLA supplemental email)

It means that UCLA doesn't necessarily have to have the completed paperwork in their hands by July 8. The paperwork can still be in the post office or in transit, but the post office must mark it as processed/being processed by July 8.

Members don't see this ad :)
Any news.....
When are the iv invites are gonna be send?
Any idea....
Did anyone get it?

Any update guys... i saw one person posted on CAAPID Facebook group that invites are out.. but rest are literally clueless, please post updates.

Any update guys... i saw one person posted on CAAPID Facebook group that invites are out.. but rest are literally clueless, please post updates.

I am in the school. And i asked them abt the ivs and they havent sent them yet. And they didnt say when they will send it. I remember last year when i applied, we received ivs in the same week of september as current. So hopefully, u guys hear from them soon. All the best.

Reactions: 1 user
I am in the school. And i asked them abt the ivs and they havent sent them yet. And they didnt say when they will send it. I remember last year when i applied, we received ivs in the same week of september as current. So hopefully, u guys hear from them soon. All the best.
Are the invites out for UCLA ?

not yet. not going to b tomorrow as well. it will b sometime early next week. didn't tell me the day.

Awesome thanks for letting us know.. why they are so late this year?

hey guys. it has been sent out today. i dont know whether there wil b another batch or not. that's all i know

I read the previous forums and it seems they as k for mo, mod on ley and PFM for the bench exam, but couldn't get any info on the written exam...
is it really same as part 1? any 1 has any information about it?
if any 1 is going from Chicago area for the exam pls pm me so we can talk about this and get ready for the exam together.

Last edited:
Congrats to the one who got invited. Do you guys know if the school is going to send a manual for prepare for the bench? once you confirm your assistance of course.

they said we will get emails regarding the bench test early next week.

I read the previous forums and it seems they as k for mo, mod on ley and PFM for the bench exam, but couldn't get any info on the written exam...
is it really same as part 1? any 1 has any information about it?
if any 1 is going from Chicago area for the exam pls pm me so we can talk about this and get ready for the exam together.
Can you please tell me whether they ask for wax carving or not? I have been invited for the bench test and interview. I am also looking for a shared accommodation for those three four days.

as far as I know there wont be any wax carvings in the bench test, but we will know for sure next week after they send the info regarding the test.

Reactions: 1 user
Any male looking to share accommodation for UCLA interview and bench?

Any female looking for accommodation on 24 and 25 October for ucla? pleaseeee!

what is the best and quickest way to prepare for ucla written exam?? anyone?

How many students are invited this year?

Interview in a week and this group seems so silent. Let us help each other!

Hi all,

I wanted to know if the 4-hole handpiece will work at UCLA ? Or is it mandatory to buy the coupler.

Guys being very honest about it as a DDS run for your life if you really like dentistry like I do consider practicing in better countries instead of getting into that trap the dental field in the United States is going through the trash this last 3 years and it's going downhill everyday you have no idea how bad it is if I have read what I'm writing now a few years ago by someone else I might not have believed it and I don't blame you if you don't but being very honest about its too much time studying, enormous student loans, too much saliva splashed on your face, back pain and that stress for barely an average pay after you deduct the student loans taxes, how low the insurance pays now because of how plenty dentists are don't believe otherwise they want to have the upper hand on pricing since their is too many dentists added to that the years spent on education it sucks...I have friends practicing dentistry all over the United States and the world I can assure you it's one of the worst places to practice recently is here in the US I have been a dentist for more than 10 years 4 of them in the US I can assure you the only ones that think it's good here are the ones never worked somewhere else...we supposedly get paid 10 to 20% more than some European countries but they don't have the student loans, overhead or more years out of their lifespan taken away from them...think about it the insurances pays much less than what they have used to student loans are getting much higher there is 4 times more the dentists and dental offices in the big nice cities where you would most probably love to live read more about offices for sales their gross and net profits, insurances price lists and the $200 to $400 overhead per hour on a dental office and do the math it's barely an average job that you would throw in a huge portion of your life for...almost every where around the world is a better place for a dentist when you measure how much you put in for it...plus the best dentistry in not in the US or even close so the pride of being a DDS or a DMD in the US is a nonsense...I wish I had someone to tell me that before I got myself into it the debt makes you heavy to even consider moving and maybe be out of work for a month or 2...if you want to have the best dental education then consider German, Swiss and Swedish dental education check where dentists are needed the most around the world and have a happy joyful life there but the US system for us dentists recently will most probably choke you

Please don't demotivate/discourage students/dentists who are already working really hard and trying to make it to programs here. Posts like yours do more harm than good even though your intentions might be noble. Just reading through your post brings me down and I assume, it would have a similar effect on other people reading your post. No point posting the same post on multiple threads, that just seems like you are spamming the threads. Taxes are high in every developed country, some even higher than US and they are not as welcoming as the US as far as going there and practicing as a foreign dentist is considered.

Reactions: 1 users
So, how was it? :)
Do you mind to share your status and impressions from today?
Thank you and good luck!

So, how was it? :)
Do you mind to share your status and impressions from today?
Thank you and good luck!
Hey Mrs Dentist, what do you mean my status from today?

I think the interview was okay. Not really sure how it went since it was the same duration for everyone.

Hey Mrs Dentist, what do you mean my status from today?

I think the interview was okay. Not really sure how it went since it was the same duration for everyone.
Hey, I mean like your TOEFL score? Nbde and other stuff...

Hi all,
Any idea which date are all the cali schools planning to give out their accceptances?