UCLA Interview/Bench test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think they will give some details about the bench exam, that what I've heard from applicants from previous years. like what they are going to ask in the bench exam and they give the exact depth of cavity for example for class 2 cavity and things like that; however the person who told me that interviewed two years ago. Maybe things aren't the same.

Members don't see this ad.

I think they will give some details about the bench exam, that what I've heard from applicants from previous years. like what they are going to ask in the bench exam and they give the exact depth of cavity for example for class 2 cavity and things like that; however the person who told me that interviewed two years ago. Maybe things aren't the same.
nope i got the package..its the same three papers which were sent to us via e-mail..nothing extra..

Pretty sure that's what UOP does, as far as I know UCLA is up in the air. Have you guys heard about inlays and onlays? Please tell me this is a rumor.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have any idea about whether we'l be asked to prepare the cavities etc on typodonts mounted on phantom heads or just kept on the table or something?

Last edited:
Any one need any kind of instruments to buy, let me know , PM me.

Does our regular 4 hole hand piece work for UCLA?
Why are they asking for a 5-hole coupler? Do we need to buy that? Somebody help!

Why are they asking for a 5-hole coupler? Do we need to buy that? Somebody help!

hey did you receive the details of the bench examination. could you please post it here or pm me since i am yet to receive one .

Yes please, can you share the details. Most of us haven't received yet.. Thanks

All of you don't get so tenses.UCLA interviews are usually quite relaxed. They usually call thrice the number of seats they have. Including last year, they sent a package which gives all the details of the preps they are going to ask you on the bench test. usually it's a pfm on antr, MOD onlay and class 2.Practice well and do your best. They know well that most people haven't done an MOD onlay before. Written exam is new this year. If they've mentioned that it's according to part 1, why are you all freaking out? If you've got a call from UCLA, your board scores would be good and I'm sure this won't be as difficult as this.But I assume it'll be more practical, clinical applications you'll be able to answer.
Good luck all of you! UCLA is a great place to be in!!

Why are they asking for a 5-hole coupler? Do we need to buy that? Somebody help![/QUOTE
Hi Holly J, can you share exactly what have they asked for?? what instruments they will provide and what do we have to bring?? what preps will they ask?? your help is appreciated,, lets us know sooner than later so we can buy what we need.:xf::xf: good luck]

Hi Holly J, can you share exactly what have they asked for?? what instruments they will provide and what do we have to bring?? what preps will they ask?? your help is appreciated,, lets us know sooner than later so we can buy what we need. good luck]

Everything except handpiece will be provided. Rest is the same-MOD onlay, PFM, class-2 preps.

Members don't see this ad :)
i already checked on ebay...but don't we need to buy the specific numbered handpiece??...there are so many options...could you please tell me which one did you buy and share the link..thnks dentist86

i already checked on ebay...but don't we need to buy the specific numbered handpiece??...there are so many options...could you please tell me which one did you buy and share the link..thnks dentist86

What numbers you mean? I bought NSK 4holes

didn't you get the email after sending the testing fee?? they have specifically told to get the midwest 5 hole coupler...

didn't you get the email after sending the testing fee?? they have specifically told to get the midwest 5 hole coupler...

Could you please post the exact things required here that are mentioned in the email .. We still haven't received ours ..

PPID candidates must bring the following items with them:
1. High-speed handpiece
2. Low-speed handpiece (optional)
3. Eye Protection (glasses, loupes or goggles)

they recommended to buy midwest 5 hole coupler #790245 handpiece which is compatible with their lab....rest all will be provided...please do post if you find one...

1. High-speed handpiece

they recommended to buy midwest 5 hole coupler #790245 handpiece which is compatible with their lab....rest all will be provided...please do post if you find one...

Thanks for posting nepdent . i have no idea about this but will try to find one soon .

1. High-speed handpiece

http://www.smartpractice.com/Apps/WebObjects/SmartPractice.woa/wa/style?id=PWSPMW650246&m=SPD
here I found one but it is expensive !! please if you find cheaper one post her.

This is what I was referring to earlier. Do we have to buy that or just the regular 4-hole hand piece would work fine?

They have written that the 5 hole hand piece is preferable....and have mentioned that the 2 and 4 hole hand pieces are compatible as well....so you should be fine :)

so what's now guys? I am a little bit confused, is it mandatory or not to bring that specific type of hand piece?!

can anyone help me regarding air compressor ? i have one which turns off every 10-15 mins so is there any solution for that? i bought it from sears..

How are you planning to prepare for the written exam? Share your ideas :)
I personally will skim through the dental decks... but i haven't figured out yet what i'm gonna do about the pharmacology part!!!

I personally will skim through the dental decks... but i haven't figured out yet what i'm gonna do about the pharmacology part!!!

What syllabus have they given for the written examination ?

You said previously at is part 1 related exam, so why pharmacology?

You said previously at is part 1 related exam, so why pharmacology?

I got this email from Sandybeth:
.The written examination is designed to test applicants' knowledge in the foundational disciplines taught in the first two years of dental curricula throughout US schools. These areas of knowledge are in Physiology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, General Pathology, Anatomical Sciences, and Dental Anatomy and Occlusion (subjects covered on National Boards Part 1) and also basic understanding in Restorative Dentistry, Prosthodontics, Pediatric Dentistry, Periodontics, Endodontics, Orthodontics, Oral Pathology, Pharmacology, and Patient Management (subjects tested on National Boards Part 2). The exam is in the same format as the National Boards Part 1 with 60 multiple choice questions, the majority of which are related to patient case scenarios. Please visit the ada.org website for detailed information about the format and content of the National Board examinations. .

Ohhhh, that's not good. Did u take part 2 Gaber? I haven't taken it yet and I don't know what to study !

Ohhhh, that's not good. Did u take part 2 Gaber? I haven't taken it yet and I don't know what to study !

i haven't taken it too. i don't understand this. they mentioned part 1 on their website :scared:

Omg. This is even harder than I thought it would be. :( This is going to be really tough!

Anybody any suggestion on what hand piece can be bought??? Please help

Unfortunately i did not take part 2!!! But i think it wont be as hard as it sounds... seems more clinical to me

Any female still looking for hotel accommodation??

Can anyone tell me how to order columbia simulation teeth typodent model R 861? thank you.

I am not sure about that drmssara !

Can anyone tell me where and how to buy a decent loupe at a reasonable price?

Just now got interview call from UCLA for 23rd bench exam ..

Any one still looking for UCLA accommodation?