UCLA Interview Thrusday, couple questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BjOrKnRaDiOhEaD

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys

my ucla interview is this thrusday yay!

well, just a couple things i wanted to know....since the ucla webpage isnt that great.

1. what are the things for sure i want to say when they ask me, why ucla?----personally, id say the diversity within la, research opportunities, few lecture hours

2. So is the curriculum a mix of problem based and lecture based?

3. Anyone know the free clinics that ucla med students can work at?

4. How much do they stress academic medicine and whats important about this?

5. anything else that is very important to know about ucla before i get there

thank you everyone!!:clap:

noosh

Members don't see this ad.

for 1-3, 5 see their website, esp the admissions website ("best of all worlds" or something like that link).

for 4, you really should not try to make them happy in your interview on purpose. if you honestly want to go into academic (or clinical) med because you like it or your experience or for whatever other reason, then that should decide...you shouldnt just pick one cause "they stress it."

actually for all of your questions, just in general know who you are, why you want to be a doc, and why ucla. you shouldnt plan anything else. be honest. its the only way youll have a good interview.

(please dont fight back with me. i am not saying you are dishonest or whatever else. just giving you my advice.)

good luck.

hey hey bruinboy!

just wanted to wish you the best of luck on thursday! you'll rock it! :clap:

sorry i didnt interview for straight MD so i cant give you much advice on what they expect, but i do remember my host telling me about the new curriculum...so yes, mix of lecture and case based studies..also clinical exposure during first year...id elaborate, but im afraid of mixing up info from diff schools off the top of my head...im sure other people can help out.

dont worry and have fun while youre there! LA is awesome!

Members don't see this ad :)
UCLA Med Center's largest minority populations are Spanish, then Persian. Now you may be asked directly or indirectly about your experience and comfort level in working with minority population, so just be prepared.

UCLA is also a school with emphasis on both research and clinical care. Half of the graduates end up going to primary care, so that may tell you something (Vs. say Columbia and Yale).

Grading is strict Pass/Fail, and the new curriculum is organ-based with some PBL session.

hey wassup!? i'm so happy you asked about free clinics :) i think there may be more than one, but i am most familiar with the mobile clinic. it's a student run program that goes to a street corner in west hollywood once a week. undergrads do social histories, med students do vitals & med histories, and public health students provide information on social services or other health issues. there is also an attending to sign off on everything. it's a great collaboration & the program is excellent! feel free to pm me & i can tell you about my experience.

http://www.studentgroups.ucla.edu/mobileclinic/

good luck on your interview! LA is the best place on earth! woo!