UCLA (IS) vs. UPenn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted892858

UCLA (IS)
Pros:
  • In state tuition
  • Close to home (30 min drive)
  • Fantastic program with awesome faculty and students
  • p/f/h system
  • weather is great
  • Many of their students go on to specialize, which I would like to do as well
Cons:
  • Decreased patient pool (?) due to the area
  • Housing is stupid expensive (1br 1ba runs average $3000 or more a month anywhere within a 10 mile radius of campus)
  • I'd like to have a different experience for once - lived in LA my whole life, UPenn would be a great change of pace in that regard
Upenn

Pros:
  • Supreme clinical experience, and patient pool is great compared to LA
  • I love the selectives offered there, they genuinely pique my interest
  • Can pursue an MBA there (at Wharton no less) if I desire
  • Students were so happy and welcoming there
  • Got a total of $120,000 scholarship here
Cons:
  • Weather in PA can be harsh, especially for this California girl
  • My husband may have reduced job pool compared to California (please read below for details)
  • Will be very far from home
Summary: I really hope you guys read this, because I have literally cried over making decisions. It sounds dramatic, but I am going to get a bit personal. I had NO idea this would ever happen to me. Literally, it's a dream come true that I am even in this position. I want to make it clear that I am immensely grateful to both schools. I know I would be happy in either school.

When I was younger, UCLA was like my dream school for undergrad. Needless to say, I was absolutely crushed when they rejected me. Now that I am in a different league now applying for dental school, I feel my sentiments have changed. I simply want to be HAPPY, and a dentist. A happy dentist. I will be a dentist no matter which of these schools I attend, but a couple things get in the way: First, my mother. She and I are extremely close and I know she'd be absolutely crushed if I moved so far to PA. We had a phone call about decisions and it ended in a blowup fight with me in tears and her yelling at the slight suggestion I might select Upenn over UCLA. She was saying "so and so will be so disappointed," (the oral surgeon who mentored me in my pre-dental journey who went to UCLA), and that family should be a chief concern when selecting a dental school. I told her that with all due respect, she will not be paying a penny of my loans, and she will not be the one going through the program - I will, so she has very little say here. If anything, my husband has more of a say. He is in the middle of all this, and hasn't complained a bit. He's been nothing but supportive in all this. I know my mother has separation anxiety to a degree and wants me as close as possible. I get it, but there are so many things pushing me from UCLA - one thing is housing. I recently got married, and my husband is currently applying to be a permanent resident. The process has been very long and difficult and he is currently unemployed due to his work visa being expired. CA would probably be better than PA for finding a job, but we simply cannot afford the average $3000 a month a 1br 1 ba runs for in the vicinity of Westwood, CA where UCLA is. I'd love to be close as possible to campus especially as a D1, but we are a family and we can't compromise with rooming with other people. Now, we have options - borrow money from my mother (which to me is a no go), live with my mom part time (which sounds ridiculous since I am married and would like to be with my husband instead of him being 100 miles away where we currently live), or live in a terrible neighborhood for half that price. $1500 is doable, but the safety concern is still on my mind.

Now let's talk money. UCLA granted me a $20,000 scholarship, and UPenn granted me one for a total of $120,000. UPenn is clearly more pricy, being a private school, but my husband is an accountant and he sat down, pencil in hand, calculating rough numbers. Without including housing, tuition and fees were roughly a wash between UPenn and UCLA, but housing is where the difference really is. Cheap housing in the UCLA area is an oxymoron. I just can't help but think I'd be a massive fool to pass up a scholarship that great...

Anyway, I love both schools. They both have their great attributes and drawbacks as well, but I just feel immense pressure from my mother to pick UCLA. I just think it is so unfair to pressure your child to pick a school just for your own benefit - being close to them. That has to be dead last on my priority list, but I am a people pleaser and don't want our relationship to be strained based on what school I choose. I am a huge fan of UCLA and how most of their students go on to specialize (which I would love to do), but the pressure is just making it worse. I am trying to be as realistic as possible when making a choice and I just need some advice. Sorry for making this so long, I just wanted all the details out there for a broader picture. Thanks for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
If after housing it's a wash I'd go to penn. I'd rather live in Philly than LA and I'm sure your husband will be able to find a job in such a large city. Your mom needs to grow up and stop emotionally manipulating you. Congrats on the acceptances to two good schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Reading it all seems like Penn is the clear and reasonable winner. Penn is pretty rigorous in the didactics the first 2 years, and you dont really do "dental" related activities till pretty late compared to other schools. I dont know how this compares to UCLA, but just my 2 cents. In terms of job pool, I agree that Philadelphia will have plenty enough opportunities for him, and I always think it's great to experience two different types of weather, especially since dental school is only 4 years :)

Im glad you and your mom are close, but I think it was a little manipulative the way she was trying to get you to pick UCLA. There is nothing wrong with wanting your child nearby, but I think she should come to learn to support you and your decisions, and trust you in choosing the school best for you :)

but housing is where the difference really is. Cheap housing in the UCLA area is an oxymoron. I just can't help but think I'd be a massive fool to pass up a scholarship that great...
Family housing here through the school is $1484 for a one bed, one bath with utilities (water & gas), basic cable, and high speed internet. It's not too far from campus as there are buses that come every 10 min or so. No pets allowed but many of my classmates who have SO's/are married live in University Village. Just a heads up since you're saying housing is where the real difference is... More info here: University Village Apartments

And I definitely wouldn't say our clinical experience is subpar... everyone will boast about their school but no one really can compare one school to another. And besides, many dentists on here and in real life have said that much of your learning really comes from what you do after you graduate.

Best of luck either way! They're both great schools.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First off, congrats on getting into both schools. Academically speaking, you will be fine at either. I don't really buy UCLA's "subpar clinical experience" because I genuinely believe NOBODY feels 100% ready to practice right after they graduate, no matter the school. I think it really boils down to your priorities and what you value most in a school. For me I would say it's tuition, location (housing/weather/where I plan on practicing after I graduate), and distance from support system--these factors, in this order, are how I ultimately chose to attend UCLA next year. However, your priorities might be completely different from mine.

I know housing is of concern, but have you considered living in graduate housing through UCLA? I believe they are all under $2000/month. Another aspect you would want to consider is how often would plan to see your family. If you chose Penn, would you be okay with flying home (which can be costly)? I know time will be limited in dental school so it's not like you will be seeing your family every weekend, but a car ride sure beats a 5 hour plane ride.

Reactions: 1 users
Just reading this I can tell you want to go to Penn.

Them costing the same should makes the decision for you, Penn it is.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

UCLA offers family housing, which is around $1,500 per month. Also, ask if the scholarship at UCLA is renewed every year. Some scholarships are if you remain in good academic standing :)

Family housing here through the school is $1484 for a one bed, one bath with utilities (water & gas), basic cable, and high speed internet. It's not too far from campus as there are buses that come every 10 min or so. No pets allowed but many of my classmates who have SO's/are married live in University Village. Just a heads up since you're saying housing is where the real difference is... More info here: University Village Apartments

And I definitely wouldn't say our clinical experience is subpar... everyone will boast about their school but no one really can compare one school to another. And besides, many dentists on here and in real life have said that much of your learning really comes from what you do after you graduate.

Best of luck either way! They're both great schools.
Thanks for your input! I only add that about the clinic in comparison to other programs. Sorry if that came off wrong. Some people just told me that due to the area I would not be accessing the patients I normally would like to. But I was overall very impressed with the program, and especially how the faculty are more hands on and invested in your progress and advocating for you. Not too long ago, my husband and I adopted a fur baby so we can’t live in the family housing due to the pet policy :( UCLA has been my dream school since day one for many reasons, but I think I am getting so hung up on housing because my husband cant work due to his immigration status. I have edited the post because I think the connotation of my word choice is pretty negative. I was just going off of what a lot of people told me, but since you’re a student there I should probably trust your 2 cents more LOL

also, I wanted to add that I went on UCLA’s site for any info regarding housing apparently they said their office for housing is not being funded anymore (?) but they had a bunch of helpful links on there for apartment hunting which I thought were reasonably priced. A bit further away (van nuys and such) but ill definitely keep it in mind. Do you think van nuys would be too far of a commute?

Last edited by a moderator:
UCLA offers family housing, which is around $1,500 per month. Also, ask if the scholarship at UCLA is renewed every year. Some scholarships are if you remain in good academic standing :)
Do you know if ANY of them allow pets? We have a kitten. Also, good idea! I looked earlier this morning on UCLA’s webpage and they actually Posted a bunch of helpful links for apartment hunting which was useful. I’ll keep it in mind.

First off, congrats on getting into both schools. Academically speaking, you will be fine at either. I don't really buy UCLA's "subpar clinical experience" because I genuinely believe NOBODY feels 100% ready to practice right after they graduate, no matter the school. I think it really boils down to your priorities and what you value most in a school. For me I would say it's tuition, location (housing/weather/where I plan on practicing after I graduate), and distance from support system--these factors, in this order, are how I ultimately chose to attend UCLA next year. However, your priorities might be completely different from mine.

I know housing is of concern, but have you considered living in graduate housing through UCLA? I believe they are all under $2000/month. Another aspect you would want to consider is how often would plan to see your family. If you chose Penn, would you be okay with flying home (which can be costly)? I know time will be limited in dental school so it's not like you will be seeing your family every weekend, but a car ride sure beats a 5 hour plane ride.
Thanks for your honest advice. I edited the post because I thought my word choice connotation was more negative than I intended it to sound. I was just going by rumors and what a lot of people were telling me, but I definitely agree that dentistry is a life long learning career and no one will truly know everything by graduation. I think your list of priorities is spot on, and yeah I definitely think the distance would be a bummer. Unfortunately I cant do the housing because we have a pet and I heard no Pets are allowed which sucks, but I saw on UCLA’s site they have a lot of resources for apartment hunting that were reasonably priced so I’ll look into that

Do you think van nuys would be too far of a commute?

For your first year, I would highly suggest living closer to UCLA. Commuting from Van Nuys is doable if you were to leave anytime after 11am, but it can be an absolute nightmare if you're trying to get to campus earlier in the morning. Trust me, I've done that commute before and wanted to pull my hair out/ felt like I aged 10 years from the stress of driving in that direction.

Do you know if ANY of them allow pets? We have a kitten. Also, good idea! I looked earlier this morning on UCLA’s webpage and they actually Posted a bunch of helpful links for apartment hunting which was useful. I’ll keep it in mind.
Yes, some of my classmates who live in family housing have pets

I was in your same position 2 years ago deciding between Penn and UCLA. In terms of specializing, both schools offer great opportunities. Philly is 100% a cheaper city to live in. You can find 1 br 1 ba apartments 1-2 blocks from the school for 1100/month. The estimated COL is not underestimated unlike some schools (hint hint CA schools lol). I would presume once you factor in the total COL, UCLA will be more expensive.

Family is extremely important, and it's tough when your mom doesn't support you moving away; however, it is only 4 years - and let me tell you time in dental school passes by soooooo fast. It's not like you're going to be living in Philly for the rest of your life. Either way you have 2 great choices.

I think you should stay near family. I always think about my mom and dad. It is very sad they live else where. Some days I don't get to call them because of how busy I am. She is not pressuring you because she is a manipulator like someone has mentioned! You are going to Philly is kinda like the end for her, you are already married, and you will probably live there or the east coast for the rest of your life, so she will never see you again except in some occasions and I think you are a mom and you clearly know how devastating it feels to not see your kids again except in holidays if they can even come!
UCLA is a great school and it is a pass or fail.

Your husband already has a job here,, you can see your family and friends, you are familiar with the weather and everything and obviously money is not everything in life.

When you attend non pass or fail school, you will start to realize how awesome a pass or fail school really is.

Don't get me wrong. Upenn is a great school, but philly is not that safe anyway!

UPenn for sure! that scholarship is huge (especially from an Ivy), equal doors and opportunity from both and a change of scene wouldn't be bad either. Sounds like you're clearly leaning towards Penn from what I see, I'd go for it!

I think you should stay near family. I always think about my mom and dad. It is very sad they live else where. Some days I don't get to call them because of how busy I am. She is not pressuring you because she is a manipulator like someone has mentioned! You are going to Philly is kinda like the end for her, you are already married, and you will probably live there or the east coast for the rest of your life, so she will never see you again except in some occasions and I think you are a mom and you clearly know how devastating it feels to not see your kids again except in holidays if they can even come!
UCLA is a great school and it is a pass or fail.

Your husband already has a job here,, you can see your family and friends, you are familiar with the weather and everything and obviously money is not everything in life.

When you attend non pass or fail school, you will start to realize how awesome a pass or fail school really is.

Don't get me wrong. Upenn is a great school, but philly is not that safe anyway!
absolutely. I've already placed my deposit at UCLA, I fell in love with it the more I talked to students and realized just how great the program is (plus the familiarity of the area). I know my mother was just looking out for me. We had a soul conversation and I know it'd suck to be in Philly for 4 years without my mom. That just blows. Especially since she raised me all by herself, it'd be awful to just pack and move across the country when I have a great option at home. I think people really do underestimate family and location when it comes to school. At the end of the day, discussing with my husband and mom, I realized its not the best fit for me to be so far.

Reactions: 2 users