ucla on "probationary accreditation?!"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
E

entropy2

does anybody know ?

Members don't see this ad.

From http://www.acgme.org/adspublic/

PROGRAM INFORMATION

UCLA Medical Center Program [4400521042]
U C L A School of Medicine
72-244 CHS
Box 956904
Los Angeles, California 90095

http://www.surgery.medsch.ucla.edu

Sponsoring Institution: UCLA David Geffen School of Medicine/UCLA Medical Center
Specialty: Surgery-General

DIRECTOR INFORMATION COORDINATOR INFORMATION
Oscar J. Hines, MD
Program Director
Director First Appointed: April 18, 2005
Phone: (310) 794-4315
Fax: (310) 267-0369
Email: [email protected]
Chi Quach
Residency Coordinator

Phone: (310) 794-4315
Email: [email protected]

ACCREDITATION AND GENERAL INFORMATION
Original Accreditation Date:
Accreditation Status: Probation
Accreditation Effective Date: October 27, 2005
Accredited Program Length: 5 years

Program Format: Standard

Last Site Review Date: August 24, 2004
Cycle Length: 2 years
Next Site Review Date (approximate): October 1, 2007

yes they are on probation. My second-hand understanding from a recent ucla residency grad that should be in the know is that the major reason was work hours. I can only assume that they are being addressed since no one really wants to be on probation and programs that get it for work hours usually shape up really fast. Would be a fair question to ask them though, as to how they are fixing it, and how that may or may not impact your experience. Sorry, I don't know any more than that.

Members don't see this ad :)
They sent out a letter to everyone who interviewed. It outlines exactly what it was for.
1)Not enough lecture/education - they have since added protected time (3hrs/wk)

2) discrepincies in cases among chiefs - they say this was purely a reporting issue and has not been an issue the last two years. They also added an endoscopy month

3)work hours on urology and ortho, which categorical prelims rotate on. This is being addressed.

This came out after I interviewed, so it wasn't brought up when I was there, but since they sent a letter, I assume they will be very forthright about it for subsequent interviews (sort of have to at this point).

surg said:
yes they are on probation. My second-hand understanding from a recent ucla residency grad that should be in the know is that the major reason was work hours. I can only assume that they are being addressed since no one really wants to be on probation and programs that get it for work hours usually shape up really fast. Would be a fair question to ask them though, as to how they are fixing it, and how that may or may not impact your experience. Sorry, I don't know any more than that.

Hi there, I am an intern at UCLA for the catergorical surgery program.
Just to clarify: YES, we are on probation. The RRC site visit occured in August 2004 and reviewed the program for 1999-2004. There were 5 citations:

1. An inaccurate program information form - the residency program apologized and sent an corrected/updated PIF, but it still counted as a citation.

2. Sharing clinical responsibility between fellows and chief resident particularly on Laparoscopic and Vascular. For Vascular, the "chief" resident was a 4th year senior, we call them chiefs too sometimes, and it was a mistake by the RRC interviewee. On the laparoscopic service, there are never any shared patients between R5 and fellows.

3. Inadequate of service and education particularly in orthopedics and urology services - that has been dealt with by our new program director.

4. imbalanced resident operative experience - in 2000-2003, some chiefs graduated with 700 cases while others in the same year with 1300. It was simply that some residents did not report all of their cases.
We were also lacking in endoscopy and H&N, but we have since added a R3 outpatient endoscopy rotation and a new R4 H&N rotataion.

5. Insufficient protected time for conference - this year we instituted a new conference schedule on Wed mornings from 7-10am. We have 3 hours of compulsory educational conference with M&M, Grand Rounds and one hour conference. During that time all residents sign out their pagers to fellows, attendings and are not responsible for service activities unless 'emergent and life threatening'.

All of these citations have been addressed and completely corrected by the program.

Bottom line, these citations occured during the span from 1999-2004. Since then, UCLA has completly revamped its leadership with a brand new Program Director, new Division of Gen Surg Chief and Director of Surgical Education, not to mention our Chairman Dr. Busuttil.

hey hcj13,
Thanks for posting and giving us the scoop. I'm curous about your perception of work hours at UCLA - I know the probation didn't cite anything about violations, but do you feel there is accurate reporting amongst the residents? Feel free to PM me if you like.
Thanks.

locitamd said:
hey hcj13,
Thanks for posting and giving us the scoop. I'm curous about your perception of work hours at UCLA - I know the probation didn't cite anything about violations, but do you feel there is accurate reporting amongst the residents? Feel free to PM me if you like.
Thanks.

The program takes work hours very seriously. I personally report accurate hours and true some weeks I am over 80, but most of the weeks I am not. Last week I worked 60 being on an outpatient surgery rotation.

I stand corrected (I did state that my source had already left the residency!). Glad someone has 1st hand knowledge of the final findings. In reading this list of citations, I'd say that they aren't huge deals. The case imbalance thing is almost certainly a reporting thing. If I recall correctly, I believe it was Duke that got cited for the same thing a few years back. I can tell you from experience that the incentive to report every single case you did goes down after you realize you are way past the RRC minimums. It takes a lot of diligence to continue to mark down each case after you know you are going to graduate with more than enough cases. Not every chief has the same level of diligence, thus resulting in one chief with 800 cases and another with 1300.
As to inadequate protected educational time, I can only say that I wish my conference time had been that protected when I was a resident. Kudos to the UCLA PD for getting that through. It was always frustrating to me when I had to leave a conference to answer non-emergent calls from the floor or to re-do someone's consent in the pre-op area because it got lost. Besides, it's always a little fun for the interns to watch attendings try to figure out how to order a CT scan! (We had this fun during ABSITE times when the attendings had to cover most of the services, and you'd come out finding 2 attending talking to each trying to figure out how to fill out some ridiculous form for heparin drips or similarly inane thing that interns did on an hourly basis. :laugh: