UCLA or UCSF???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey, red,
as far as i know, it is close to impossible to get parking permit at ucsf. aint they charging 17 bucks for non-interviewers or something? and their housing is far away. way further than weyburn.

though AZ parking is virtually unlimited.
housing is so affordable there.

USC is ghetto. tuition is way too high.

tough choice for uop. if u just wnat to make money and i mean lots and lots of moeny, then go there.

east coast is east coast.

Members don't see this ad.

ecdoesit said:
hey, red,
as far as i know, it is close to impossible to get parking permit at ucsf. aint they charging 17 bucks for non-interviewers or something? and their housing is far away. way further than weyburn.

though AZ parking is virtually unlimited.
housing is so affordable there.

USC is ghetto. tuition is way too high.

tough choice for uop. if u just wnat to make money and i mean lots and lots of moeny, then go there.

east coast is east coast.

hey ecdoesit,

yea I hear ya with the schools...

Definitely east coast is east coast and since I really don't want to go there unless I have no choice to, I had already declined offers from Upenn and withdrew from Temple post-interview

USC...tuition is HORRENDOUS :eek: I just can't handle being in debt past 300K

AZ...really liked the curriculum, awesome new facilities, got family in the area...only prb would be that it's such a new school that i wonder if and when i decide to specialize, would it be helpful or not coming from one of the newer schools.

UCSF: Love the city and impressed with the curriculum. Yea...housing can be a bummer there cuz I've got no family in the bay area. Though...they are giving me a bit more money than UCLA

UCLA: awesome weather, location, family. Need to do a bit more investigating into the differences between UCSF and UCLA curriculum....

UOP: same bit with UCSF. Bonus would be getting out in 3 yrs ! The people there are really nice...seems like such a big family....

Decision? haha nonexistent? jk I've narrowed it down...it's a neck-neck race now.

Literati (or to anyone else who got the UCLA Scholarship): How much is the scholarship anyway?

Red: Which schools are you deciding between now? Is it still between UCLA and UCSF?

I'm sure you will make the right choice either way. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
LSN said:
Literati (or to anyone else who got the UCLA Scholarship): How much is the scholarship anyway?

Red: Which schools are you deciding between now? Is it still between UCLA and UCSF?

I'm sure you will make the right choice either way. :thumbup:

Thanks for the vote of confidence...I hope I'll make the right choice eventually LSN.

Well the Dean Scholarship at UCLA is $2000. Does UCLA have a REgents Scholarship like UCSF? When would one know if selected for this?

This is what we did last year to make up my mind.
Meet up with ur classmates. (please be nice to them, or at least to me, hehe)
believe me, u will see them every day every moment.
they are there to provide support. just make sure u r ready to support other people and others supporting u.
(This goes to all school)

Then another big thing is the spring CDA convention at anaheim. I know i will be there. it costs $25 and it is well worthy cos w.o mentioning the oral b sonic complete toothbrush that i got and a bunch of other cool dental stuff, there are at least 3 parties held by local dental schools. it is the perfect opportunities to get up close and personal with faculty and classmates, upper classmates,etc. so definitely something to look forward to.

since they are not paying that much for scholarship (compare with $55k total cost)
u should go to a school that u like
rather than the one gives u the most money.

I am surprised that nobody mentioned anything about romantic relationship.
Support from ur significant others is quite important.
Most of my friends's bf are just amazing.
I cant help, but to give them credits they really deserve.

They basically did the following this quarter:
1. Driving back and forth with her for a 4 hrs trip each way and stuck in traffic, taking the train, etc.
2. Stay with her studying and provide emotional support
3. During stressful time, understood her stress and willing to stick with her to go thru hardship.
4. Even though "converted," he is so cool that blend in our class.
5. thanks for calming her down to minimize "I m hungry" phrase and other comments under stress.

Thanks for Jon, Jonathon, Rod, and Van to set the standard so high. Now what do I suppose to do?

Current UCSF students or future students with knowledge in this area please let me know what the out of state cost of attendance (tuition, fees, living expenses) is for UCSF. As an out of state student do you have enough money to pay tuition and rent and still eat and go out for a beer? Also, rumor has it that UCSF students are sooooo unhappy. Is this true? I was accepted and will most likely attend yet I would like a students perspective before sending out the $200.

Hello,

I am having a difficult time choosing between UCSF and UCLA so I was hoping current students could answer some of my questions. I know I have asked for a lot of information, but please take your time and answer anything you can. These answers will really help me (and I am sure many others) make their desicion and then maybe I will finally get a good nights sleep! Thank you so so so much in advance!!!!!!

:thumbup: At UCSF they gave us a little book in which they show the schedule for the four years at UCSF. I think that they have set out time for independant study about two times a week. I was wondering if students actually get to use this time? Do you find it useful? Do you end up spending that time in labs, etc?

:thumbup: I have searched the UCLA online schedule and I saw some independant study time but couldn't look through each week. So how often do you get this study time? Are there weeks where you have class every day from 8-5?

:thumbup: Also, at both schools how important is attending every lecture? Do you find that studying on your own may be more effective?

:thumbup: UCSF gives it students a three month summer vacation after the first year but UCLA doesn't. Is the UCLA cirriculum longer or do they give more vacation in between? So I guess what I want to know is how long are the summer, winter, and spring breaks are at each school?

:thumbup: How many finals do you have at a time each quarter? I have heard that UCSF has limited the number of finals, how about UCLA?

Thanks Again!!!!

hey, excite4, i thought u decided on uop, no?

At UCLA, we have independent studying time too and so far we haven’t spent it in the lab the first quarter. The main reason being that it is from 8-10am on Monday morning and Friday afternoon. I don’t think we have done much studying or doing anything in the lab, but just to chill with classmates and enjoy our weekends. Not bad to have an extended weekend. However, I m determined to do extremely well in anatomy next quarter and will get rid of my slacker style(at least for that class). So, I will utilitize my independent studying time(3-5 tue and thu) very well.

One thing about the schedule for 4 yrs? They are likely to change. At UCLA, students are pretty active to work with our faculty to improve our curriculum. We are working for u(lower classmates) so that ur life will be better than ours, just like our upperclassmates have done to us. We don’t have a fixed schedule, but the general structure could be shown on the link I posted.

I think there is a week when we had make up classes for Thanksgiving holiday?!! We had a long week of lectures. It is basically very close to 8-5 everyday. But other time, it is not as bad.

There are some mandatory session such as orientation and loupe orientation, which u r required to attend. If we don’t attend classes, we suppose to call our student affairs office and ask for a legitamite excuse. Yes, it is quite important to attend classes, but it doesn’t mean it is efficient/effective. But unless only 1 person showed up and people still pass the class, it is up to u how u chose to study.

Winter break from dec 18th to jan 5th. Summer jun 18 to july 4th. And then sept 1 to sept 25. no, we don’t have a month off, but our spring and summer workload is like our lightest. So people are having fun neverless. Plus, people from ucsf probably are doing research anyway. I m applying and finding a mentor for a pre-doctoral training program. It has a stipend and 3 months of research experience. Hopefully, someone in tissue enginerring will be interested in me. Their facility is really awesome. A side note: We have plans to go back to Hong Kong and visit Shanghai in the summer. And I am planning to visit Beijing(Olympic Game 2008) once we graduate too along with many other dental students in other school.Ya, we will have fun after we worked so hard.

We cant ask for more when it comes to final. We just finished 7, as u all know. It is frustrating. Sometimes we just read things over and take it just for fun. Sometimes, we stay overnite and struggle with the material. It is harsh. Don’t come if u r not ready. It will drain ur strength mentally and physically… Yet, no pain no gain. When I took the slide ID in my histo exam, it is a feeling of WOW, I learned so much in this ten weeks. I didn’t get 100%, but I already feel that I have accomplished a lot. Hope this helps.

Sometimes there are more personal issues. Pm me and I will help u to find the answer.

So, my assignment to u guys: have fun and enjoy ur holiday with the people u care most. Time like this will stop for at least 2 years. Dont even think about dental school till the new year, ya?

ecdoesit said:
So, my assignment to u guys: have fun and enjoy ur holiday with the people u care most. Time like this will stop for at least 2 years. Dont even think about dental school till the new year, ya?

Well spoken ecdoesit...And i intend to enjoy this christmas and worry about my decision in the new year. :)

btw: my friend (also accepted to UCLA dent) and I are planning to revisit the school sometime in January, do you think it's possible to meet up so you can tell us all there is to know about UCLA from a student's perspective?

Hmm, I just spoke with a UCLA faculty member regarding UCLA's lackluster patient pool. She told me that the problem isn't getting patients. Rather, it is their inability to pay for additional treatment. I was under the impression that these patients would be getting some sort of discount by lending their time to student dentists. But, she said that this wasn't the case; oftentimes patients come in thinking UCLA SOD would be much cheaper than a private practice yet patients end up paying the same amount while sacrificing a lot more time (not to mention travel/parking costs). So patients no longer have incentive to make additional visits.

I feel naive for asking, but, is this just a UCLA thing?

I dont blame them. UCLA charges 7 bucks for a day of parking permit.
Unlike other modern cities, our transportation system sucks. Unless, they could setup something to ease the parking issue. There is really not much incentives.

In addition to cost, I think our patients are very nice people to sacrifice their time and the whole body to let the future dentists to gain experience and confidence. Seriously, who else would like to take out 3 hrs of their time to stay in a dental office!

Hey, red,
Let's see, the best time to meet is probably on a wednesday 12-1pm. We have anatomy lab on Tue and Thu. So will be stinky by lunch time. Then I have graduate student seminar on Friday lunch time. And Monday, we have lab, so not sure if we will be free. Dont just take it from me. I am sure i will grab other D1 with me.

Members don't see this ad :)
ecdoesit said:
I dont blame them. UCLA charges 7 bucks for a day of parking permit.
Unlike other modern cities, our transportation system sucks. Unless, they could setup something to ease the parking issue. There is really not much incentives.

In addition to cost, I think our patients are very nice people to sacrifice their time and the whole body to let the future dentists to gain experience and confidence. Seriously, who else would like to take out 3 hrs of their time to stay in a dental office!

Right. So how about UCLA giving these patients incentives. Obviously none of the wealthy residents around UCLA don't want students to be poking around their teeth so we're getting lower income people who live farther away. Obviously, these people have jobs and families and every hour counts (because, unfortunately, time is money). And, in all honesty, the quality of care is secondary to an experienced dentist; I visited UCLA SOD once and had a resident break out a dental book to figure out what to call a particular area in my mouth. In the end, I paid $60 out of pocket for a diagnosis of "I don't know" (no x-rays were taken, I had my own). Sure you get the luxury of multiple opinions and a faculty member hovering around you every so often, but, is it really worth it in the end? Especially if all you need are fillings?

So a typical patient will spend an hour in traffic to get to UCLA, spend $7 for parking, wait an hour for a student dentist, spend 2-3 hours in a dental chair and then fork over whatever his/her insurance didn't cover (that is, if he/she even has insurance). And, if the patient needs multiple follow-ups, the patient may need to compromise his/her continuity of care.

I apologize if this post sounds a bit harsh. I'm just bothered by this whole system. Patients should be rewarded by sacrificing their time and money. Even people who donate their bodies to science get some sort of compensation (or, at least, their families receive a payment). Most of the UCLA faculty are aware of problems associated with their clinical training yet are providing little aid to allure patients. Or, is there something that they're planning to implement to make this whole process easier on both the students and patients?

I agree with ecdoesit. Parking costs just add to the bill. But for someone who lives in East LA (provided they have issues with USC), she/he will have to make multiple bus transfers and, as a result, waste more time and money. Maybe this is a dumb idea but why don't students go "into the field"? In other words, why don't we set up more mobile clinics in these problem areas? In addition, the university should give these students credit for the work they perform at these clinics. I personally volunteer with a few dental students at one of these clinics and they told me that none of their hours count for their graduation requirement.

And, while I'm on a roll, why can't UCLA undergrads get the insurance to be seen at UCLA SOD? When I had GSHIP, they gave me CIGNA as my only option. Note that UCLA dental clinics do not accept CIGNA (you can be seen but you would need to file your own claims which, I know personally, is a big explitive). I believe GSHIP changed it's dental provider but heard it is still not within the UCLA dental clinics' network.

Ugh, I apologize for the length. I'm just frustrated by UCLA and how they're seemingly overlooking a major problem. Or maybe I'm just majorly uninformed. If that's the case, someone please straighten me out.

a very good point. however, i m in no position to answer anything. things are changing. it is just a matter of priority. i havent had much experience with the clinics. however, there are basically 4 grps of people: students, faculty, staff and administration. Students want to learn; faculty loves to teach and trying their best to give us the most; staff are doing their job; and administrative people have to look at the whole picture and make decision.

all i could say is that everything revolves around money. thanks to arnorld's budget cut, i m sure both uc are going thru some really tough time. i dont mind having the tuition raise to maintain our standard, but i also understand we cant just expand like we did. o, did i mention the bigger UCLA admin people? sometimes it is painful to work with the whole school. they usually set the rules and we have to comply.

there are several solutions to the patients pool. to answer ur question about going into the field, there are many health fairs during the quarter. we actually go out to the field, put sealatns, oral screening, and attract patients. since u have mentioned it, i would assume that u will go to every single one while u r at ucla, right? good, i will see u next year then.

another solution is to ask the clinic advisor and be active about attracting patients. i m sure there is a grp that is already doing that. however, i dont know that much information about this.

btw, we do ahve off campus sites: venice clinic every 1st saturday and another pedo clinic. D3 and D4 do get credit for anything they do. so do D1 and D2 who chose to help out.

bottomline: could we do better? yes, but we need to work together.

Hopefully I can answer some of your UCSF questions:

As far as ISO time, each student spends it doing whatever he/she decides to do. Some use it to relax and get away from classes, some do errands, some go to the gym, some hang out, and others study. I personally do find this time useful and am very thankful we have this option. Some of my classmates and I have used this time before to go to dental lab to simply get more practice.

As far as attending lecture, some classes such as dental lab and clinics are definitly mandatory to attend. I think all of our classes are techincally mandatory; However, you could just study on your own and be fine. Some people feel lecture is very important while others find studying on their own more useful.

Yes, we do have the summer between first and second year off. We can do whatever we wish it too. Some may do research although it's definitly not mandatory. Some are thinking of doing dental trips abroad. Also, this year for spring break, we get 2 weeks off.

Finals: I think we had about 6 or 7 finals.

Feel free to ask more questions. I personally love my school and am very pleased I chose UCSF.

Your UCSF are sooooo unhappy comment is definitly a rumor. I don't know of one student in my class who is unhappy.

As far as out of state tuition, click here . It should tell you what the current cost of attendance would be for out of staters.

J2AZ said:
Current UCSF students or future students with knowledge in this area please let me know what the out of state cost of attendance (tuition, fees, living expenses) is for UCSF. As an out of state student do you have enough money to pay tuition and rent and still eat and go out for a beer? Also, rumor has it that UCSF students are sooooo unhappy. Is this true? I was accepted and will most likely attend yet I would like a students perspective before sending out the $200.

hey, fantasia,
long time no see. how is ucsf? who is your class's asda representative? want to meet them while we are at denver in january.

anyhow, i envy ur summer and spring break.
do u still have to pay for tuition those quarters?

Fantasia said:
Your UCSF are sooooo unhappy comment is definitly a rumor. I don't know of one student in my class who is unhappy.

As far as out of state tuition, click here . It should tell you what the current cost of attendance would be for out of staters.

The couple of D4s i know are pretty unhappy. They tell me that they wish they went to UOP. They said it didn't really get that bad until they started working in the clinic and profs would chew them out while they were in the middle of seeing a patient. Maybe its just them though, i dunno.

Hey ecdoesit,

It has been a while. I'll PM you our asda representative's name.

As far as paying tuition during the summer quarters, I don't think we have to since we aren't attending classes during that time.

Crazy_sherm,
It could just be the D4s you know because the ones I know don't act nor say they are unhappy.

ecdoesit said:
hey, fantasia,
long time no see. how is ucsf? who is your class's asda representative? want to meet them while we are at denver in january.

anyhow, i envy ur summer and spring break.
do u still have to pay for tuition those quarters?

good, cos we need to pay for summer tuition! though i think we will get financial aid as well. so i think ucla costs a bit more than sf.

how do u like the stream curriculum? i think that's one of the thing that could swinged me toward ucsf last year. i dont really like the didactic here. we basically learn about Calcium three times in histo, biochem, and physio. actually learned about Vitamin D and parathyroid hormone twice in biochem! then we have to organize our thought and see "light bulb" this is how it works... once again, things are changing. by next year, u guys will have something new for histo.

maybe fantasia could talk about housing in sf and transportation. fun activities, weather, etc. i bet u guys have good chinese food up there. hehe, that's another reason that could swing me last year. (for some reason, i never compared academics) btw, i know ucsf was so proud of their "top 10" hospital and children hospital. do u feel like a 2nd class citizen up there? do med students treat u guys with respect? how come do u have to buy costco scrubs?

I would love to learn a bit more about the housing situation at UCSF. Is it hard to find housing? Do most students live in student housing or off campus housing? Aslo, aside from tuition, how much money do most students spend each month on living expenses. I know UCSF estimates about 20K for the 12 months. Is this enough? Finally, I would like to know what is included in the 21K worth of fees. Is health insurance and disability insurance part of those fees?
Thanks for you help

J2AZ said:
I would love to learn a bit more about the housing situation at UCSF. Is it hard to find housing? Do most students live in student housing or off campus housing? Aslo, aside from tuition, how much money do most students spend each month on living expenses. I know UCSF estimates about 20K for the 12 months. Is this enough? Finally, I would like to know what is included in the 21K worth of fees. Is health insurance and disability insurance part of those fees?
Thanks for you help

I don't know about the exact housing situation for on-campus housing, but off campus apartments in SF will run you around $1200/m for a one bedroom, and around $1500/m for a two bedroom. You might be able to rent an in-law unit in someone's house for cheaper, but then you have to deal with the family upstairs. I would check craigslist to get a good feel of whats out there.

Wow, that seems to be very pricy even for SF. o wait, that's uop area. ucsf is in a more economical area. i dont think it will cost as much.

21K fee? is it that much?
all i know is that we have ~11K instrument fee and ~2K laptop(which u guy can choose to buy ur own) in that 11K kit, we have just used the scrubs, wax master, and color wax, tapadon, some waxing tools, bp cuff and stethroscope. maybe in the next quarter or two, we will use the remaining 10K of stuff. too expensive, u may ask: i agree. and they dont give us warning either. the first day of orientation, we are asked to come up with this money by the end of the week. they tried their best to finance it for us. either pay full or pay $200 interest for 9 months. of cos, the kits will reduce in price after our first year. And NO, even if u have some of those instrument, u have to buy the whole kit! but we can sell it back thru ebay. remember to keep them in good shape =)

learn to ration is ur best bet. u will have enough money if u spend wisely. actually u wont have time to spend! i feel so happy lately going shopping with my niece. cos i havent seen my credit card in a long while! spending money is joyful (remember i didnt say paying for the stuff is).

ecdoesit said:
Wow, that seems to be very pricy even for SF. o wait, that's uop area. ucsf is in a more economical area. i dont think it will cost as much.

21K fee? is it that much?
all i know is that we have ~11K instrument fee and ~2K laptop(which u guy can choose to buy ur own) in that 11K kit, we have just used the scrubs, wax master, and color wax, tapadon, some waxing tools, bp cuff and stethroscope. maybe in the next quarter or two, we will use the remaining 10K of stuff. too expensive, u may ask: i agree. and they dont give us warning either. the first day of orientation, we are asked to come up with this money by the end of the week. they tried their best to finance it for us. either pay full or pay $200 interest for 9 months. of cos, the kits will reduce in price after our first year. And NO, even if u have some of those instrument, u have to buy the whole kit! but we can sell it back thru ebay. remember to keep them in good shape =)

learn to ration is ur best bet. u will have enough money if u spend wisely. actually u wont have time to spend! i feel so happy lately going shopping with my niece. cos i havent seen my credit card in a long while! spending money is joyful (remember i didnt say paying for the stuff is).

Anyone know how much a kidney goes for nowadays? Does anyone pay for donating vestigial organs?

ecdoesit said:

No, if you want to live around UOP, you're looking at at least $2k/m because its pacific heights. Even UCSF is in a nicer area of town because it's near the park, near cole valley and the haight. Even places in not so hot areas like the outer mission and bayshore are going for $1000/m.

SF's a small city and there really just isn't that much room, but everyone likes living here for some reason.

crazy_sherm said:
I don't know about the exact housing situation for on-campus housing, but off campus apartments in SF will run you around $1200/m for a one bedroom, and around $1500/m for a two bedroom. You might be able to rent an in-law unit in someone's house for cheaper, but then you have to deal with the family upstairs. I would check craigslist to get a good feel of whats out there.
I believe crazy_sherm is talking about average range. So people from other areas should not expect too much for $1500 in SF and North Bay in general. A nice one bedroom can easily cost you 2G or more.

So, I'm a dork and I can't find the UCLA financial info sheet. I know there are on-line sources that have an estimated cost for each dental school. However, most of these sources are fairly dated (pre-Arnold). Does anyone have a link or have a better idea of how much I would have to pay after the CA grad tuition hike?

Thx.

ya, we dont charge tuition! That's always the best thing to say, except they charge student fees.
And i think we are extremely lucky if the fee increase is less than 20% next year. Be ready to complain about how much loan u need to pay.

Add an additional 30k for cost of living and instrument fees for both UCLA and UCSF.

Sorry to post an off-topic post. Besides calling/emailing, is there any other way to check your app status at UCLA? Or we basically just sit and wait in the dark :mad:

Hey luder, did UCLA send you a secondary?

Literati81 said:
Hey luder, did UCLA send you a secondary?
Yes, they did. I got it along with UCSF's within a week after they got my AADSAS app. They have had it for about 2 weeks now. I know it's way too early to expect any responses from them, but wonder if there's a way to check the status. I know they don't have webtools like UCSF.

Yeah, unfortunately UCLA doesn't have SF's spiffy webtools site. But, from my own personal experience, UCLA didn't contact me until 2-3 months after my application was complete. And since we are in mid-academic holiday, I'm guessing it might take UCLA a little longer to evaluate applications.

But, to answer your original question, I think e-mailing Sarah is the best option.

Good luck!

Email or calling them is probably the best way.
Last year, I went there in person and found out they didnt have my file! cos they placed it at the interview pile. So I left happy to found myself an interview email coming soon. O ya, dont call them now, call them after the 6th.

ecdoesit said:
Email or calling them is probably the best way.
Last year, I went there in person and found out they didnt have my file! cos they placed it at the interview pile. So I left happy to found myself an interview email coming soon. O ya, dont call them now, call them after the 6th.

is the 6th when offices are reopening?

6th is the date D1 goes back to sch.
i dont remember if student affairs open earlier, but i know they open on the 6th for sure.

Excuse me AUG2UAG, but that was inappropriate. There are many students, including myself, deciding between schools who would like to hear what others have to say. This entired website is dedicated to connecting students/applicants to discuss these issues. No one is glamorizing, but if you feel insecure about your rejections try not to channel your anger toward people on SDN. This is a great thread which is why so many people have read it or posted on it. If you don't like it then don't read it!
AUG2UAG said:
this thread sucks... first response WILL BE stupid... anyone who has been accepted to either school should know better than to listen to any of our advice.
therefore, i feel this thread as glamorizing the accomplishments of a few individuals while others lament their dissaproval from the institutions in matter... peace!

No need to get angry at people we dont even meet. We are all professional here. If anyone dislike what they see here, you are welcome to come up with clever question/thread to post. Please behave otherwise. i m sure that person will get banned pretty soon. Peace.

Literati81 said:
Yeah, unfortunately UCLA doesn't have SF's spiffy webtools site. But, from my own personal experience, UCLA didn't contact me until 2-3 months after my application was complete. And since we are in mid-academic holiday, I'm guessing it might take UCLA a little longer to evaluate applications.

But, to answer your original question, I think e-mailing Sarah is the best option.

Good luck!
Sarah has been very helpful and responsive. I have emailed her quite often but only when I must have an answer. My file is complete. So I don't really want to shoot her an email with "what is my current status" question. I'd rather just wait for a while. I just wish they had something like webtools or infosource so that I could check at least once a week.

Hey, Im a Cal resident and I applied to UCLA June 30 but took my DAT's end of Sept. My application number is in the 1200's. My application was complete around October 5 but I didn't hear anything from them. I emailed Sarah last month and asked her about the status of my application and if everything was in. She told me she will notify me of "any status change". About a week and a half ago I got an interview to UCLA. So they are very slow as everyone warned me. A lot of UCLA dent students told me that they got interviews very late. Good luck

luder98 said:
Sarah has been very helpful and responsive. I have emailed her quite often but only when I must have an answer. My file is complete. So I don't really want to shoot her an email with "what is my current status" question. I'd rather just wait for a while. I just wish they had something like webtools or infosource so that I could check at least once a week.

BUBBLICIOUS said:
Hey, Im a Cal resident and I applied to UCLA June 30 but took my DAT's end of Sept. My application number is in the 1200's. My application was complete around October 5 but I didn't hear anything from them. I emailed Sarah last month and asked her about the status of my application and if everything was in. She told me she will notify me of "any status change". About a week and a half ago I got an interview to UCLA. So they are very slow as everyone warned me. A lot of UCLA dent students told me that they got interviews very late. Good luck

Hey there!
How did you get notified of your interview at UCLA? Email/phone/or letter? Just curious, because I am patiently waiting still! :cool:

by email :)

fleisch said:
Hey there!
How did you get notified of your interview at UCLA? Email/phone/or letter? Just curious, because I am patiently waiting still! :cool:

I know it's a bit early but does anyone know when we will be able to request for housing options, e.g. Weyburn graduate housing?

Literati81 said:
I know it's a bit early but does anyone know when we will be able to request for housing options, e.g. Weyburn graduate housing?

I am actually wondering the same. Also, does anyone know if there is any nice/affordable housing around Hilgard and Le Conte?

I knew one girl who had a 1 bedroom for $1500 on Hilgard. But that was 2 years ago. As for it being nice...it was okay. Nothing fancy. The elevator was a bit ghetto. But she did have a balcony.

Alright, this may sounds crazy, but remember when I talked about UCLA students help out each other from different classes, ya?

Guess what. As you all know, school starts tomorrow.
Kick off with anatomy. Yeah, the bodyworld exhibit will prepare me well. If you havent gone, pls go asap.

So, here are my classes:
Anatomy, Oral Radiology, Microbiology, Immunology and Preventive Dentistry, operative dentistry, history and ethics, and clinical evaluation II.

I am wondering if some of you have the textbooks for the above classes, especially anatomy, microbio, and immunology. If you do, could I borrow them for a quarter? I will keep urs very clean and neat.

Thanks

Literati81 said:
I knew one girl who had a 1 bedroom for $1500 on Hilgard. But that was 2 years ago. As for it being nice...it was okay. Nothing fancy. The elevator was a bit ghetto. But she did have a balcony.

ecdoesit said:
Alright, this may sounds crazy, but remember when I talked about UCLA students help out each other from different classes, ya?

Guess what. As you all know, school starts tomorrow.
Kick off with anatomy. Yeah, the bodyworld exhibit will prepare me well. If you havent gone, pls go asap.

So, here are my classes:
Anatomy, Oral Radiology, Microbiology, Immunology and Preventive Dentistry, operative dentistry, history and ethics, and clinical evaluation II.

I am wondering if some of you have the textbooks for the above classes, especially anatomy, microbio, and immunology. If you do, could I borrow them for a quarter? I will keep urs very clean and neat.

Thanks

Hey ecdoesit,

I've had taken Anatomy, Microbiology, and Immunology for undergrad. Still got the books if you want to borrow and promise to keep in good conditions :) PM me for further details?

hey guys, I was wondering how long it takes UCSF to send out acceptances/denials after the interview. I guess it varies depending on the applicant, but is there an average time in your experience? (got my interview tomorrow at UCSF, and still weighing my options at UOP vs UCSF).