UCLA originally non-resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adoggie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
are there any people here that have gone to UCLA mstp originally as a non-resident? were you financially independent, or is that a little difficult to accomplish at such a young age? their program sounds really good but i'm a resident of hawai'i instead of california. shucks.

Members don't see this ad.

adoggie said:
are there any people here that have gone to UCLA mstp originally as a non-resident? were you financially independent, or is that a little difficult to accomplish at such a young age? their program sounds really good but i'm a resident of hawai'i instead of california. shucks.

I don't see how being a resident of Hawaii affects wanting to go to UCLA MSTP. The NIH funded MST programs DO NOT have residency requirements, and UCLA is NIH funded. Am I missing something? :confused:

YES. UCLA only pays non-resident tuition for the first year and advises that those people somehow become residents during that year by being financially independent or dependent on your california resident parents. now that is a mystery i must attempt to shed light on.

Members don't see this ad :)
adoggie said:

Your residency shouldn't matter for the MSTPs, including UCLA. This has been discussed already in several threads, including this one where it was recently addressed:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=184951

Good Luck!!

Edit:
adoggie said:
YES. UCLA only pays non-resident tuition for the first year and advises that those people somehow become residents during that year by being financially independent or dependent on your california resident parents. now that is a mystery i must attempt to shed light on.

hmmm...it sounds like there is something fishy with UCLA. I would definitely call them and clear this up if I were you. There shouldn't be any problem with you coming from Hawaii, but don't take my word for it!

adoggie said:

I doubt they would have that policy if it weren't possible for you to become a CA resident, but the residency requirements seem to say that it's impossible for you to become a resident for tuition purposes while attending school. I know I had a school that was like that, but they pay nonresident tuition for the duration of the program - so the school ends up punishing its own program. You definitely need to talk to someone official - not just the office person.

I'm very curious about this one. Their website indeed does say you need to become a state resident, but how can you do that while in medical school? Bizzare. Could one of the UCLA applicants please call and get an explanation for all of us?

Neuronix said:
I'm very curious about this one. Their website indeed does say you need to become a state resident, but how can you do that while in medical school? Bizzare. Could one of the UCLA applicants please call and get an explanation for all of us?

Yeah, they expect you to be able to become at state resident within a year...maybe because we are receiving a stipend they'll let us through the system? I don't know...but I am anxiously waiting decision time...fyi, I called the admissions office yesterday and they said they would be sending out decisions by the end of this week. The secretary couldn't tell me if they would be calling, emailing or snail-mailing, but searching the threads from last year, it seemed like people got phone calls from their interviewers...
Keeping my fingers crossed... :luck: :luck: :luck: :scared:

Here's the other weird thing:

"Students are eligible to receive up to seven years of stipend support and payment of educational fees and health insurance."

Does this mean that if you end up staying more than 7 years you are out of luck and you have to shell the rest out of pocket??! Are there any students at UCLA who have stayed longer than 7 and had a problem with this? Seems like we need some clarification.

uproarhz said:
Here's the other weird thing:

"Students are eligible to receive up to seven years of stipend support and payment of educational fees and health insurance."

Does this mean that if you end up staying more than 7 years you are out of luck and you have to shell the rest out of pocket??! Are there any students at UCLA who have stayed longer than 7 and had a problem with this? Seems like we need some clarification.

Yeah, get some UCLA students on here...Maybe that means that they will only fund you for 7 years: 4 years of med school, 3 years of grad school and the rest of your PhD years, you damn well better get some outside money or get your advisor to pay for you? Just a guess...

abeanatrice said:
Yeah, get some UCLA students on here...Maybe that means that they will only fund you for 7 years: 4 years of med school, 3 years of grad school and the rest of your PhD years, you damn well better get some outside money or get your advisor to pay for you? Just a guess...

I think a lot of schools will ask for your advisor to pick up your stipend if you are working in their lab for more than three years, so this isn't so uncommon. I'm sure this is added incentive for your PI to push you through your PhD.

We do need some UCLA students helping us out here, but I dont recall there being any posters from UCLA...