UCLA psych residency for DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carolinablue

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
how difficult will it be for me to land a UCLA residency coming from a DO school in the deep south?
i think i will take the usmle along with the complex.

Members don't see this ad.

Very very difficult. I know of only one DO that has been in their residency, EVER. And he entered as a 2nd year, and proved himself via other activities (showed his dedication to his internship by driving over 4 hours/day every day). You will also be fighting against a coastal bias where west coasters worry outsiders won't really come, so don't waste interview slots. Unless you blow away your USMLE's and have all honors and do an away rotation, I suspect you won't get an interview. Not trying to be harsh, just the way UCLA does admissions.

Very very difficult. I know of only one DO that has been in their residency, EVER. And he entered as a 2nd year, and proved himself via other activities (showed his dedication to his internship by driving over 4 hours/day every day). You will also be fighting against a coastal bias where west coasters worry outsiders won't really come, so don't waste interview slots. Unless you blow away your USMLE's and have all honors and do an away rotation, I suspect you won't get an interview. Not trying to be harsh, just the way UCLA does admissions.

oh..ok :(

Members don't see this ad :)

try Harbor UCLA or Kern UCLA. Still ultra competitive, but more equal footing.

SF VA ucla is ok too.

I have visited both SF VA and Harbor UCLA and been to their dadactics. Apply early. I mean get your app done and finished ASAP and they will offer interview spots b4 deans letter.

Harbor has grand rounds that you can go to. The Department head goes there and you show your face and show interest.

At VA, I sat in on dadactics and mingled.

But the most important thing is get the app sent on Oct 1 right at midnight. I was a month late and that hurt me. As they had 400+ applicants at each of locations.

I'm curious - I grew up on the west coast and moved to the south just before med school. Will I still be seen as an "outsider" when I try to go back?

I'm curious - I grew up on the west coast and moved to the south just before med school. Will I still be seen as an "outsider" when I try to go back?
You'll be relatively fine.

One advantage that California med school folks have for getting California residencies is that the letter writers are known to the folks in the prospective residency programs. That helps.

But the "coastal bias" that Nitemagi is talking about isn't so much where you went to medical school as your percieved likelihood of staying after residency. The UC's in particular would like folks that they think will serve California. So if you're from California and were part of the diaspora to head OOS for medical school, you could make a pretty good case that you're looking to come home.

If your interest is coming back home, I'd cast the net pretty wide in SoCal and not limit yourself to UCLA. There are a lot of psych programs here and most of them are quite good even if they aren't the biggest of names.

You'll be relatively fine.

One advantage that California med school folks have for getting California residencies is that the letter writers are known to the folks in the prospective residency programs. That helps.

But the "coastal bias" that Nitemagi is talking about isn't so much where you went to medical school as your percieved likelihood of staying after residency. The UC's in particular would like folks that they think will serve California. So if you're from California and were part of the diaspora to head OOS for medical school, you could make a pretty good case that you're looking to come home.

If your interest is coming back home, I'd cast the net pretty wide in SoCal and not limit yourself to UCLA. There are a lot of psych programs here and most of them are quite good even if they aren't the biggest of names.

I'm actually a norcal girl, so LA isn't actually at the top of my list, just on the list. I'd like to get back to the west coast regardless of where it is... it's good to know I've got something going for me on that front. Like the OP, I am also an DO student.

Last edited:
Someone from my DO school matched into Psych at UCLA Kern last year. I personally am applying east coast because I'm east coast born and raised and don't really have the desire to move to CA, so I haven't done any research into the west coast programs, but I do remember seeing Psych matches both there and at Loma Linda from my schools 2010 match list.

When I interviewed at UCLA last year, there weren't any DOs there. In fact, there weren't many people who went to lower tier MD schools either. So honestly, I wouldn't bet on it. Harbor has DOs, and I would guess UCLA-SFV and USC do too. I'm sure you'd get good training at any of those places and still get to be in LA.

This may not count, but I've actually heard good things from some classmates who rotated at Arrowhead (a DO residency) in Cali. Might be worth considering if Cali is that important to you.

This may not count, but I've actually heard good things from some classmates who rotated at Arrowhead (a DO residency) in Cali. Might be worth considering if Cali is that important to you.

I am a second yr resident who did internship in Pa. and came in to arrowhead as r2. I can tell u that this is a very personable place. I feel very well supported. Great attendings. I roll in to work at 9 am; do my work pretty much at a comfortable pace and roll home b4 5 pm on non call days. Later in the year call will b 24 hrs but u get 24hrs off post call. Volume of pt can be high but there is plenty of help and is never overwhelming. Emphasis is on learning and not scut, at least when u r doing psych. R1 have to do off service medicine, which I don't have to. I retired my stethoscope long long ago, doing psych through and through.

An important distinction. When I referred to UCLA, I meant UCLA-NPI ("The mother ship"), whereas there are other UCLA programs that're more accessible, such as UCLA-Harbor, UCLA-Kern, UCLA-SFV.

Harbor UCLA takes 1 DO a year...period. And they are very open about it. You have to have good grades and impress the right people when you do the rotation there. And even that doesn't guarantee anything. Kern UCLA takes DOs, but that program is very questionable - I did a sub-I there and it was horrible.

If you are open to other programs in california UCSD, UCSF Fresno, USC, Loma Linda are DO friendly to varying degrees. Or you could even look outside of california :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Harbor UCLA takes 1 DO a year...period. And they are very open about it. You have to have good grades and impress the right people when you do the rotation there. And even that doesn't guarantee anything. Kern UCLA takes DOs, but that program is very questionable - I did a sub-I there and it was horrible.
carolinablue- Are you looking specifically at Los Angeles or do you have a hankering for anything with the UCLA name attached?

If it's the former, you might consider ruling out Kern anyway, as it's about 2 hours from UCLA proper. Consider USC and some of the other LA programs folks are mentioning.

If you've got a real bee in your bonnet for UCLA, I get the impression that Harbor-UCLA is pretty closely affiliated with UCLA-NPI with some cross pollination. UCLA-SFV seems less so and Kern much less than that. It's probably a reflection of geography, but 2 hours (without traffic) makes the association fairly limited. Same seems true of UCSF vs. UCSF-Fresno and elsewhere.

Last edited:
carolinablue- Are you looking specifically at Los Angeles or do you have a hankering for anything with the UCLA name attached?

basically...during my year off i randomly got to spend 3 months living in LA..hollywood and north hollywood specifically...and it was so nice...the weather was great, the beaches were close...there were so many nice lounges/clubs/nightlife....great places to eat...a thriving culture (not like NYC but still enjoyable)....I just wanna be in a nice area and so far from all the cities i've been to in America SoCal and miami are the most enjoyable places to be...but maybe when im 28 i would be more favorable of family oriented places. I just liked UCLA, they seemed like a very strong program.
And honestly...i go to a very new DO school (or will be in 3 weeks)...i wanna go to a BIG NAME residency with a GREAT program in a GREAT city...asking for too much? Yeah probably, i will have to work for it...but i dont like the idea that even if i work hard my options are limited because im a D.O.....no bueno :thumbdown:
whatever, thats life

Last edited:
Dude, if you want a great city go to Detroit. Why is it so good?... because there a lots of DO's. lol.

I would not avoid applying to a competitive residency due to being a DO, but I would make sure to have a range of programs to be on the safe side. It was said above that the UCLA residents are usually exceptional MD graduates, so it's not like just being a DO is going to be the deal breaker, you have to get great test scores, research, letters, etc.

Dude, if you want a great city go to Detroit. Why is it so good?... because there a lots of DO's. lol.

I would not avoid applying to a competitive residency due to being a DO, but I would make sure to have a range of programs to be on the safe side. It was said above that the UCLA residents are usually exceptional MD graduates, so it's not like just being a DO is going to be the deal breaker, you have to get great test scores, research, letters, etc.

yeah, i just have a hard time finding motivation in putting 110% into studying during med school when the two letters behind my name are preventing me from achieving my dream....
anyways...i start med school in 2 weeks..im gonna work my butt off, and strive to be a great student so that i can also eventually be a great psychiatrist..a great doctor.
poetic..i know

yeah, i just have a hard time finding motivation in putting 110% into studying during med school when the two letters behind my name are preventing me from achieving my dream...

You're in the same boat as MDs who went to very uncompetitive allopathic schools. I don't think it's nearly as much about the letters as it is that none of the osteopathic schools are academic centers that do much that garners respect. The fact that going to a lower-tier medical school somewhat limits your subsequent prospects was something you had to know going in. In psych, the effect is relatively minimal compared to most specialties.

yeah, i just have a hard time finding motivation in putting 110% into studying during med school when the two letters behind my name are preventing me from achieving my dream....

eeyoresad.jpg

To be blunt, you've yet to start medical school but already have a persecution complex about your future credentials. If you're not able to get over this it won't be doing you any favors. Now stop being sad and start being awesome.

Last edited:
eeyoresad.jpg

To be blunt, you've yet to start medical school but already have a persecution complex about your future credentials. If you're not able to get over this it won't be doing you any favors. Now stop being sad and start being awesome.

yeah i know your right....."persecution complex"....interesting
anyways im excited and will start being awesome....i have been worried about so many random things since i got accepted...its weird, but im pumped and ready to be awesome :cool:

I think you may be over estimating the bias that is out there, at least in terms of psych residencies. As a DO student who will soon by applying for a psych residency, and who only plans on applying to allo programs, I have done a fair amount of research on this. I have looked into a broad range of programs ranging from middle/lower tier all the way up to some of the biggest name, top tier programs. Out of my list, 24 currently have DOs, 5 do not have any DOs, and 3 others I could not find a list of their residents on their website. I would also add that a couple of the programs without DOs, I would by no means consider elite; whereas there are some programs which I would consider elite that have DOs. Granted my research may be somewhat skewed because I only looked into programs I had an interest in and therefore they are mostly on the east coast. But still stop being so disparaging and actin so defeated. If you want something go get it.

Out of my list, 24 currently have DOs, 5 do not have any DOs...

I found 3 or 4 places today who have DO's listed as MDs. They're listed as MDs, but under medical school, it says a DO school.

For example: ECU, PGY-1, 5th person down, Dr. Pagano "MD":

http://www.ecu.edu/cs-dhs/psychiatry/residents.cfm

There are plenty of other examples. Point is, you can't expect the webmaster to understand the distinction (or lack thereof) between MDs and DOs.