UCLA Secondaries are out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Baker2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just received the email!

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, and it's super long. I wonder though, since the .PDF file allows you to type into it, are we supposed to type our responses on the .PDF in the space provided, or are we supposed to type up responses in word and attach them to the form?

I just got mine too. I think we are supposed to type in the responses, print it, scan it into a pdf and then email it back.

Members don't see this ad :)
Okay wtf......I haven't done any research, I'm not disadvantaged, I've never gotten into any trouble, I've never applied to dental/health school before, and I'm not interested in DDS/PhD.

The only place where I can actually put some content is in Parts 12 and 13.

Okay wtf......I haven't done any research, I'm not disadvantaged, I've never gotten into any trouble, I've never applied to dental/health school before, and I'm not interested in DDS/PhD.

The only place where I can actually put some content is in Parts 12 and 13.

yeah I am in the same boat, but that's not really a bad thing. They aren't going to throw your app out because you aren't disadvantaged or because you aren't interested in DDS/PhD. Just less to write! haha

Idk about everyone else, but I am a CA resident.

When were your guys' applications mailed out? Mine was mailed out 7/22 but haven't received anything from UCLA yet (I'm in state)

When were your guys' applications mailed out? Mine was mailed out 7/22 but haven't received anything from UCLA yet (I'm in state)

7/4 mailing date and received the secondary today. Im OOS

I just got mine too. I think we are supposed to type in the responses, print it, scan it into a pdf and then email it back.

I think they want us to just email our responses, and print out one for our own records.
1) The attached Personal History Form (secondary application). After completing the form, please print a copy for your records and email the PDF to: [email protected] . You may scan the printed document into a PDF. Application forms that are not submitted as a PDF will NOT be accepted.

Part. 13 Additional Comment.

Are you guys going to put anything on that part?

This space is provided to allow you to describe any additional information you would like
the Committee to consider or aspects of your application which you think may seem confusing or
incomplete as they are stated elsewhere. You may also use this space to explain factors which may
have had a negative effect on some aspect of your performance.

Is it better to leave as a blank? or write something down?

weird.... on AADSAS supplemental it says UCLA requires high school transcript and undergraduate transcript sent to UCLA. But on the secondary email from UCLA it doesnt ask for anything like that. ARE WE SUPPOSED TO SEND IT OR WUT???

Members don't see this ad :)
7/18 batch and did not receive this. WTF :(

7/18 batch and did not receive this. WTF :(

Don't worry. I am 7/18's mailing batch and haven't got secondary, too. I got it last year and it seems like they send out secondaries based on stats, so with the same stats, I will most likely get one later. :)

weird.... on AADSAS supplemental it says UCLA requires high school transcript and undergraduate transcript sent to UCLA. But on the secondary email from UCLA it doesnt ask for anything like that. ARE WE SUPPOSED TO SEND IT OR WUT???

I'm pretty sure that UCLA requires this later on... either at interviews or after an acceptance.

Don't worry. I am 7/18's mailing batch and haven't got secondary, too. I got it last year and it seems like they send out secondaries based on stats, so with the same stats, I will most likely get one later. :)

Also in the 7/18 and haven't received it yet either... I have a feeling that we'll be getting them in 1-3 weeks or so.

Describe your special skills, interests, hobbies or athletic participation that you would like the Committee to consider.

Not sure what they are looking for with this one? I like to play sports and lift weights etc... but does the committee need to consider that... What do you guys think?

Anyone have advice on how to send them the form as a PDF file? I can't save it as a PDF and have all the info filled in. At the same time I don't know how I would print it then scan it and save it as a PDF.

7/11 mailing date (I'm in-state) and nothing from UCLA

Be patient~ I believe if you have enough GPA/DAT, it will send you the secondary since it's a good way to collect easy money.

Anyone have advice on how to send them the form as a PDF file? I can't save it as a PDF and have all the info filled in. At the same time I don't know how I would print it then scan it and save it as a PDF.

I'm not 100% sure I did it the best way, but I:
1. filled it out on my computer
2. printed it
3. scanned each page back into the computer
4. Downloaded Adobe pdfcreator for $10
5. I then used that software to combine all of the scans and emailed it back to them

I hope this helps. It took me forever to figure out because I was trying to use some free software to combine it and it just gave me a headache for two hours.

I'm not 100% sure I did it the best way, but I:
1. filled it out on my computer
2. printed it
3. scanned each page back into the computer
4. Downloaded Adobe pdfcreator for $10
5. I then used that software to combine all of the scans and emailed it back to them

I hope this helps. It took me forever to figure out because I was trying to use some free software to combine it and it just gave me a headache for two hours.

Thank you so much! Does the download you bought come with it's own scanner program? I usually use paint to scan and the quality is never good.

Thank you so much! Does the download you bought come with it's own scanner program? I usually use paint to scan and the quality is never good.

I just scanned each page directly onto my desktop using a printer/scanner. The adobe program is really straightforward. After you buy it they send you a link to sign in through your email. Once you sign in there are 4 main options, one of them is "combine documents into pdf." If you click that a screen will come up where you can add each scanned document separately by clicking "add file." They only allow 10 documents to be combined into one pdf. But I made one pdf including the first 10 pages of the application and one pdf including the last 5. After I did that, I made a third pdf that combined the first two. That way I could combine all 15 pages of the application into one pdf to email to them. But again, I'm not sure if this is the best way to do it, it almost seems to complicated. I would think that there would be a less technical way of submitting the application. But on my computer I couldn't save the changes made to the pdf. Even if I could have, I still needed to print it out to sign it.

If you have a Mac, click print, in the bottom left corner click "PDF" and in the drop down menu, click "save as PDF". If you don't have a Mac, im sorry:)

Yes, they required high school transcripts to be sent in.

There are also a few things that I wished I had known when I applied. 1) they interview late--or they did last year anyhow, and 2) if you get an interview you have a great chance of getting in if you are in-state and a fantastic chance if you are OOS. Their interviews are very low stress and down to earth.

Private message me if you have any questions, I don't check SDN very often anymore.

If you have a Mac, click print, in the bottom left corner click "PDF" and in the drop down menu, click "save as PDF". If you don't have a Mac, im sorry:)

aww man I have a mac but I filled everything out on a PC. I wish I had read this thread beforehand!!

hey I was wondering if I can email a publication in .pdf format along with the personal history form (not combining them into a single .pdf file) :rolleyes:

Ok this is way too frustrating and complicated! I downloaded the Adobe PDF creator and when I tried to print the app to make sure it looks right, it ended up shrinking everything and printing it. All the info is there but it looks nothing like the original (a lot more squished!)

Anyone else have this problem?

Google the program "Softi Scan". You get a free month of scanning images directly into a PDF file. They look really good, too.

I tried another freeware, Scan2PDF, just for fun, and the scan to pdf image is no where near as clear as Softi Scan's. Just a suggestion.

My mailing date is all f-ed up. Most of my app was out by 6/24. DAT scores out by 7/13 and last letters out by 8/5. Got supp. app. last week.

You may want to try CutePDF printer. It's freeware. After it's printed you won't be able to edit it but you will have a "printed" digital copy.

does anybody know what to do if we have more than four "Dental-Related Experiences" in part 6?

also, is it just me or is everyone else having a kind of difficult time describing 'specifically' why you are applying to UCLA?

Ahhhh here I am again having problems with the secondary! So I scanned every page and combined it into a pdf and sent it. I received an email telling me that the file is too large and can't exceed 5MB. So I re-scanned everything using the grayscale setting and combined it all into a pdf. And it's still 6MB! I have no idea how to make it only 5MB.

Please help??

does anybody know what to do if we have more than four "Dental-Related Experiences" in part 6?

also, is it just me or is everyone else having a kind of difficult time describing 'specifically' why you are applying to UCLA?
just use the 4 most important ones. i don't think you can add more than that unless you want to continue on it in section 13

Ahhhh here I am again having problems with the secondary! So I scanned every page and combined it into a pdf and sent it. I received an email telling me that the file is too large and can't exceed 5MB. So I re-scanned everything using the grayscale setting and combined it all into a pdf. And it's still 6MB! I have no idea how to make it only 5MB.

Please help??

pleeeeease someone help me with this! I can't believe I'm the only one who's having issues with this!

pleeeeease someone help me with this! I can't believe I'm the only one who's having issues with this!

If you have Adobe 8 Pro, when you combine the files, there's an option of a "Smaller File Size - lower quality". I did not have to use this option (used Default file size and came up to be 4.5mb). But if your image files happen to be too large in size, I think you should compress the image to lower scale and then combine it. Otherwise, "Smaller File Size" would be your option.

Does anyone know if its ok to just type up each question into word and send it that way?

Of course, in a pdf though.

my application is online dude. I am confused b/c I'm pretty sure on mine u can submit it over the internet. There's a button on the last page.

I only had one internship lol. I had so many shadowing experiences that I wrote a note telling them to see AADSAS.

Is UCLA hardcore lagging on sending out supplemental apps? I AADSAS mailed out 7/29 and thought I'd get the app by now. Any after or on the same date as me get UCLA's supplemental email yet? I havent heard anything from UCLA

Is UCLA hardcore lagging on sending out supplemental apps? I AADSAS mailed out 7/29 and thought I'd get the app by now. Any after or on the same date as me get UCLA's supplemental email yet? I havent heard anything from UCLA

UCLA is notorious for being really late throughout the entire application process (and this was told to me by a past adcom at UCLA). My AADSAS was mailed out on 6/27 and I only got my secondary about 2 weeks ago. FYI, they may take longer to review apps if you're OOS... but I don't know for sure if that's true or not. I just know that they do give some preference to in-state since it's a state school. In terms of stats though, it looks like you fit right into the mix, so hang in there! I'm sure you'll hear soon :)

Did anyone else get an email saying the supplemental was the incorrect format? I got that so I resized my pdf and sent it back. I never got a confirmation though.

Also, do you guys know if UCLA will review apps based on AADSAS mailing date, supplemental mailing date, or no real order?

Thanks guys!

I have the same mail out date as you. I just got email an hour ago. While you posted yesterday it might be there today.