UCLA, Stanford, UCSF secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Long_John

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know when UCLA, UCSF, and Stanford send their secondaries?
also, does anyone know what the secondary prompts for these schools are or at least what they were last year?

Members don't see this ad.

UCSF and Stanford screen so who knows when they send out secondaries. UCSF only sends out 1400 secondaries btw.

Long_John said:
Does anyone know when UCLA, UCSF, and Stanford send their secondaries?
also, does anyone know what the secondary prompts for these schools are or at least what they were last year?

Hi Long John,

Last year UCSF didn't have an essay--just a simple secondary with basic info and Stanford's essay prompts are pasted below (at least I think these were the only ones for regular MD). Sorry, didn't apply to UCLA. I do remember that Stanford's secondary came last for me (maybe 5 weeks after I was verified) and UCSF's came within a week of when my aamc app was transmitted to the school. Best of luck.

Stanford Prompts:
8. The Committee on Admissions regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. The Committee on Admissions strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.
(Please limit answer to 25 lines of text. Truncation of your answer will occur if you type more than 25 lines of text and/or if you hit return in the text area.)

Please describe in a short paragraph your educational and family background.

Members don't see this ad :)
StanfordGirl said:
Hi Long John,

Last year UCSF didn't have an essay--just a simple secondary with basic info and Stanford's essay prompts are pasted below (at least I think these were the only ones for regular MD). Sorry, didn't apply to UCLA. I do remember that Stanford's secondary came last for me (maybe 5 weeks after I was verified) and UCSF's came within a week of when my aamc app was transmitted to the school. Best of luck.

Stanford Prompts:
8. The Committee on Admissions regards the diversity of an entering class as an important factor in serving the educational mission of the school. The Committee on Admissions strongly encourages you to share unique, personally important, and/or challenging factors in your background, such as the quality of your early educational environment, socioeconomic status, culture, race, ethnicity, or life or work experiences. Please discuss how such factors have influenced your goals and preparation for a career in medicine.
(Please limit answer to 25 lines of text. Truncation of your answer will occur if you type more than 25 lines of text and/or if you hit return in the text area.)

Please describe in a short paragraph your educational and family background.

thanks for the great info stanford girl.
does anyone have any info on ucla?

Long_John said:
thanks for the great info stanford girl.
does anyone have any info on ucla?

Sorry, I don't have a list of the UCLA secondary questions but I remember it was a list of very typical secondary questions. I got UCLA's secondary after Stanford's and UCSF's. All three schools screen before sending out secondaries.

UCLA
They had like 10 prompts, but each were real short, just a few sentences. And their instructions said something mysterious like "you don't have to answer all of the questions, just the ones that will help us get to know you better":

1. A disadvantage you've overcome
2. Most scholastic effort (thesis project, etc.)
3. Honors and awards
4. Where you'll be in 10 years
5. Significant non-scholastic acheivement
6. Leadership experience

That is from another thread from last years secondary. I'm waiting for it too...