UCLA suggested Humanities courses?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WhiteHatDoc

Work hard and find joy in serving others
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

forgive my ignorance but what constitutes as a humanities course besides history and social science? Does linguistics count? Foreign language courses?

Just in case you're wondering, it's for UCLA's secondary where they ask if you took a year of humanities.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

take some music history courses, they are fun, usually in the middle of the day, and count as humanities..

take some music history courses, they are fun, usually in the middle of the day, and count as humanities..

Thanks for the reply exkitty, but I just graduated and I was wondering if linguistics/foreign languages/asian american studies count as humanities

anyone else?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd count English, Philosophy, Religious Studies, History. Art History and Music/Theater criticism, yes. Studio art and music performance, no.

Foreign languages -- questionable in this context. They may be looking more broadly than a year of "English" but they may also want to be sure that you have had significant experience in reading and writing of a non-scientific nature in the English language. Check with the school if you want to use foreign languages to meet the humanities requirement.

The social sciences (sociology, anthropology, psychology, economics) are not humanities.

Sorry to necro-bump this. I'm considering UCLA and would like my application to be stronger.

@WhiteHatDoc -- did you every figure out what really counts as Humanities for UCLA?