1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

UCLA vs. Harvard vs. UofP

Discussion in 'Dental' started by LuckiLeigh, Dec 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuckiLeigh

2+ Year Member

Dental Student
    Thanks in advance for any advice.

I have been pro-conning these schools for weeks now but am totally lost as to where to go.

I loved U of P at my interview but I am interested in specializing (shadowed ortho a lot). Also, it is very expensive despite my $30,000 scholarship.

Harvard pretty much guarantees specializing but if I decide to go into general dentistry I'm nervous about the lack of clinical prep. Also, I'm not a huge fan of the location.

UCLA is good school for GP or specializing but the new curriculum seems to have a lot of kinks still. Also, they did not have a time-line for updating to digital. The facilities at UofP trumped UCLA. However, the weather/location is wonderful in LA and my boyfriend lives in LA.

If anyone has any advice or any insight on these schools that would be great. I have read all sorts of threads but none that compared these 3 schools. ~ Thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. charlestweed

Dentist Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    From some of the previous Harvard threads, I believe Harvard students have to do more procedures than UCLA students. If you work hard, you will be a good GP regardless of where you get your DDS/DMD from.

Digital facility is nice but it won’t help you to become a better dentist. To cut a beautiful class II prep, you need to have good hand skills, a good instructor (like Dr. Stevenson, I wonder if he is still teaching at UCLA?), a sharp enamel hatchet, and a brand new inverted cone bur….there is no need to have a multi-million dollar sim lab for that.

You can do a beautiful endo w/o using digital Xrays….patients just have to wait a couple of minutes longer with the traditional film based Xray.

4. drrockitout

18 out of 40 students in my class got accepted to ortho. If you want to do ortho, you are a sure in if you go to HSDM. And we are good at GP as well.

5. Shunwei

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I agree that one can become a competent dentist with any program, although one thing that does bother me about Harvard is its lack of a preclinical curriculum. I can't imagine that it'd be a positive factor.

Stevenson is still teaching here. He is indeed a great instructor. I learned a lot of waxing skills from him last quarter and he is fun to talk to as well.

6. drrockitout

Harvard actually has a much more demanding clinical requirement than UCLA. It's a misconception that Harvard does not train good GPs, in fact we are very comfortable being GPs after graduation. Students choose to specialize because they want more money and a better life style (you can't blame them, right?), not because they cannot practice as GP. I do admit that after my graduation, my waxing skill is still minimal, but then again, not that they did not teach me, but that I just think it's not necessary to learn and hence being lazy on that part.

7. charlestweed

Dentist Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    He is also an expert in goil foil. If you want a gold foil restoration that lasts a lifetime, he'll do it for you at the faculty practice.

8. Shunwei

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    I am not so sure about that. Since Charlestweed was there, the curriculum has undergone numerous changes (for one, research is no longer mandatory) and the current curriculum is designed so that we are exposed to clinic earlier and more frequently than in the past. Perhaps you cite the exact clinical requirements, with my doing the same after I consult with our program, can we actually draw some kind of conclusion about this. I do think it would be hard, though, for anyone to argue that a lack of preclinical teaching would be a "plus" on the balance sheet. I am not bashing Big H by any means, but curriculums are not all designed equal. Some will be stronger than others in certain areas, and vice versa. Nothing wrong with that--people will just have to make their own educated decisions and live with it.

9. drrockitout

Current curriculum has changed at HSDM as well and students do start clinic a lot earlier these days at HSDM.

#8 drrockitout, Jan 6, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2009
  10. armorshell

armorshell One Man Freak Show
    Physician Dentist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Closing. Old, off-topic, and there's a different forum for selling things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.