UCLA vs U Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UCLA vs Michigan

• UCLA

Votes: 51 59.3%
  • Michigan

Votes: 35 40.7%

• Total voters

sportsmed96

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
any advice? Looking for a pro-con list other than location/weather and hoping to go into orthopedic surgery. Anyone know if either school has any big name orthopedics?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is either in state?

Reactions: 1 user
COA?

Both of these schools are great. Whether you're competitive enough to match into ortho is going to depend on you once you get to either of these schools.

Huge difference in COA, weather, surburban versus urban environment. Need to do some homework first, and figure out what is important to you.

Huge difference in COA, weather, surburban versus urban environment. Need to do some homework first, and figure out what is important to you.

I wouldn't call Westwood "urban." The OOS CoA is pretty comparable between the two schools as well ($43k for UCLA vs. $48 for UM).

Both are top schools with outstanding national recognition, you really can't go wrong with either. Personally, I'd pick UCLA, but that's mostly based on location.

I wouldn't call Westwood "urban." The OOS CoA is pretty comparable between the two schools as well ($43k for UCLA vs. $48 for UM).

Both are top schools with outstanding national recognition, you really can't go wrong with either. Personally, I'd pick UCLA, but that's mostly based on location.
Ann Arbor has a population of less than 200K, surrounded by cornfields on 3 sides. Big difference I think. However, Ann Arbor is 1/2 hour from Detroit Airport, cheap to live here. GO BLUE!!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The question is will you be okay with cold and snowy weather for 6 months of the year or would you rather prefer 50-60*F during the winter? ;)

Having married a Midwesterner, maybe I was thinking a tad further west!.

I should amend my choices to Mexican food vs Mackinac Island fudge!

What is a covered dish? I'm from Michigan and I have no idea what you're talking about.

The debate should really be pasties, paczkis, coney dogs, fudge, mclure's pickles, faygo, and vernors (arguably the best ginger ale in the nation) vs. Mexican food

Let's cut to what's important. Covered dishes, or Mexican food???

What's a school X vs. school Y thread without @Goro pointing out the differences in local cuisine?

:)

They both have fat merit aid offers to be had. Wait a few weeks and your financial considerations may be very different.

UM has a new one year, integrated curriculum, while UCLA has a pretty standard 2 year preclinical with some clinical experiences integrated. Have a preference?

Last edited:
Having married a Midwesterner, maybe I was thinking a tad further west!.

I should amend my choices to Mexican food vs Mackinac Island fudge!

What exactly is a covered dish? Google just shows casseroles...

I was thinking avocado vs pawpaw and clearly pawpaw wins!

The question is will you be okay with cold and snowy weather for 6 months of the year or would you rather prefer 50-60*F during the winter? ;)

I think it is more a choice between do you want to die due to aging getting to UCLA in traffic or die after you park the car and get out from a gun shot :D.
P.S: I'm running from the snow as well! ;)

Last edited:
UCLA is better because you can expect future philanthropic support from David Geffen's offshore accounts.

You gotta keep that casserole warm somehow. That's what the covered part is for.

What exactly is a covered dish? Google just shows casseroles...

I was thinking avocado vs pawpaw and clearly pawpaw wins!

I think it is more a choice between do you want to die due to aging getting to UCLA in traffic or die after you park the car and get out from a gun shot