UCLA vs. UC Davis for undergraduate studies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SkepticalSinhal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all on SDN.

I'm an incoming freshman and I have been admitted into both UCLA and UCD as a biochemistry major. I plan to attend medical school after graduation (thus making me a premed);however, I am currently undecided as to where I should attend uni for undergrad. If any current or past UCD or UCLA students could give some advice that would be fantastic. I haven't visited either campuses yet, as I am still waiting to hear back from other schools, but there are some preliminary pros and cons that I worked out mentally (these could quite possibly be wrong. I don't know a lot about the schools).

UCLA Pros:
* More prestigious (does this really matter?)
* LA weather > Davis Weather
* Excellent medical center
* LA has much better ethnic food than Davis

UCLA Cons:
* From what I've heard, there are many premeds and all of the pre med reqs are extremely competitive and graded on a tough curve
* LA is 7 hours away from where I live
* Research opportunities will be harder to get (more competition)

UCD Pros:
* Slightly less competitive and it will be easier for me to "stand out" academically
* Research opportunities more available ( UCD has a bioinformatics undergrad research program called CLIMB that looks interesting and pays well)
* Not nearly as many premeds
* Small, college-town feel
* 1.5 hours away from both my mom and my dad's house. (This is a good thing)
* SF is not too far away (I like going to shows)

UCD Cons:
* Less prestigious
* cowtown? (just kidding)

I plan on working hard wherever I go, but I feel that I will able to see better results GPA-wise at UCD

Members don't see this ad.

Davis is an awesome college town...I would have loved to spend 4 years in such a relaxed town with cool people. LA just doesn't compare.

It almost sounds like your gut is telling you to go to UC Davis? If that is so and the only thing holding you back is the thought of having to explain to everyone why you picked davis over LA, then I'd go with Davis, hands-down.

In the end both will provide great opportunities academically and at both you will be able to make yourself a very competitive applicant.

Go with your gut.

(On a sidenote: can't beat $15 all you can eat sushi in Davis...this is golden if you're a big/tall guy....just sayin')

I'm in basically the same situation as you( down to UCLA being 7 hours away), except I'm going in as a junior transfer from a community college. I'm strongly leaning toward Davis at the moment, I really like the town, and the people there are seem way more relaxed and friendly then they do at UCLA, where most of the guys looked like jocks, and the girls wore 3ft heels...

But still, it feels odd turning down the "better" named school.:(

Members don't see this ad :)
Davis is an awesome college town...I would have loved to spend 4 years in such a relaxed town with cool people. LA just doesn't compare.

It almost sounds like your gut is telling you to go to UC Davis? If that is so and the only thing holding you back is the thought of having to explain to everyone why you picked davis over LA, then I'd go with Davis, hands-down.

In the end both will provide great opportunities academically and at both you will be able to make yourself a very competitive applicant.

Go with your gut.

(On a sidenote: can't beat $15 all you can eat sushi in Davis...this is golden if you're a big/tall guy....just sayin')

Omg! This is a dream come true! Where is this place?

Academics? Which has a stronger department or more selection of courses you'd be interested in taking? ( might not be a major point if the curriculum is the same at both schools. But I mean lets say UCLA requires Pchem 2 with lab for the major and UCD has more elective room for biochemistry classes you'll find interesting..)
Money? Any of them going to cost more? Give more financial aid? More scholarships?

Thanks for the quick replies. Yes, I do feel like UCD may be a better "fit". I'm sure I could find a good group of people to kick it with at UCLA but I like the small town atmosphere of Davis better. I come from a small town (15k people max) and I feel that LA would be a drastic change. I don't know. I guess I have to visit both schools. I've heard mixed opinions about this, but do you think a medical school admissions committee would consider UCLA to be significantly more prestigious?

@Sivehideo- Are there any good taquerias or Pho noodle places in Davis?

@serenade- I've heard something about Biochem being considered a physical science major, which would suck, as I would probably have to take more difficult chemistry or physics. I think UCD has a pretty solid Bio program and both schools will probably cost about the same( I might get like a 4k onetime scholarship at Davis). I figure that it will be easier to find a cheap place to live off Campus in Davis than in LA

In the spirit of full disclosure, I did graduate from UCLA. But I did grow up and spend my entire life prior to college in the Davis area.

Perhaps it comes down to personal taste and decision (as do most school choices), but I would unequivocally encourage you to go to UCLA.

Yes, UCLA and of course UC Davis are under more strenuous times now due to budget cuts (you'll find reduced class offerings, less resources, programs, etc.) especially compared the golden decade of the "90s," when, from at least what I've been told, expansion was the entire name of the game.

As your posting as a pre-medical student, the first thing that should jump to your mind is that UCLA has a hospital! A wonderful one, literally just steps away from the dorm and student hub. The UC Davis Medical School is in Sacramento, and, as far as I know, there is no university-affiliated hospital that can easily be accessed from UC Davis' undergraduate campus. But you might want to look into that. UCLA Hospital System is ranked #3 in the *entire* nation. You have to see the Ronald Reagan Medical Center if you haven't.

LA is an amazing city, but coming from Nor Cal you will need to adjust to it. The lifestyle is different, but it is an incredibly diverse city with many offerings. You can't beat being an 8 minute bus ride from the beach, beautiful sand and weather.

Dorm life at UCLA is amazing. Dorm food is stellar! Bruin Walk, Spring Sing, Movie Sneak previews on campus, celebrity/artist/world leaders come for speaking conference - an amazing Alumni Association. The "eats" are amazing - Sushi, Korea-Town ...

Westwood is AMAZING. Go see it and spend time there if you can.

There are tons of student groups and activities - I don't really think you can go wrong at UCLA. You have to push yourself to achieve at UCLA. I don't think Davis fosters the same environment for it's students, at least from my visits.

When you apply several years from now, you'll be glad you were in UCLA, volunteering at the third best hospital in the country, researching with nobel laureates and innovators in every field you can imagine, exploring Westwood, Santa Monica, and Beverly Hills with your friends, and making memories that will last a life time.

Last edited:
In the spirit of full disclosure, I did graduate from UCLA. But I did grow up and spend my entire life prior to college in the Davis area.

Perhaps it comes down to personal taste and decision (as do most school choices), but I would unequivocally encourage you to go to UCLA.

Yes, UCLA and of course UC Davis are under more strenuous times now due to budget cuts (you'll find reduced class offerings, less resources, programs, etc.) especially compared the golden decade of the "90s," when, from at least what I've been told, expansion was the entire name of the game.

As your posting as a pre-medical student, the first thing that should jump to your mind is that UCLA has a hospital! A wonderful one, literally just steps away from the dorm and student hub. The UC Davis Medical School is in Sacramento, and, as far as I know, there is no university-affiliated hospital that can easily be accessed from UC Davis' undergraduate campus. But you might want to look into that. UCLA Hospital System is ranked #3 in the *entire* nation. You have to see the Ronald Regan Medical Center if you haven't.

LA is an amazing city, but coming from Nor Cal you will need to adjust to it. The lifestyle is different, but it is an incredibly diverse city with many offerings. You can't beat being an 8 minute bus ride from the beach, beautiful sand and weather.

Dorm life at UCLA is amazing. Dorm food is stellar! Bruin Walk, Spring Sing, Movie Sneak previews on campus, celebrity/artist/world leaders come for speaking conference - an amazing Alumni Association. The "eats" are amazing - Sushi, Korea-Town ...

Westwood is AMAZING. Go see it and spend time there if you can.

There are tons of student groups and activities - I don't really think you can go wrong at UCLA. You have to push yourself to achieve at UCLA. I don't think Davis fosters the same environment for it's students, at least from my visits.

When you apply several years from now, you'll be glad you were in UCLA, volunteering at the third best hospital in the country, researching with nobel laureates and innovators in every field you can imagine, exploring Westwood, Santa Monica, and Beverly Hills with your friends, and making memories that will last a life time.

Well UCLA sounds like the idyllic college experience that everyone keeps talking about;however, I worry about spending the first two years of college studying my ass off and STILL getting destroyed by gunners/the curve. Have you had any negative experiences with a severe curve or gunner-types?

EDIT: Are Nobel Laureates really going to give a damn about some lowly undergraduate?

Well UCLA sounds like the idyllic college experience that everyone keeps talking about;however, I worry about spending the first two years of college studying my ass off and STILL getting destroyed by gunners/the curve. Have you had any negative experiences with a severe curve or gunner-types?

I have not. They exist, but I ignore them and still do well. I never let competition become a point of focus of me during my time at UCLA. I think being oblivious to it is what allowed me to succeed. I owed it to myself to do well and to learn the material. It sounds ideal, and I know that's the usual advice thrown at you - but there's a lot of truth to it. That said, different majors will have entirely different experiences.

Undoubtedly UCLA will be challenging. The courses are fast-paced, the material is difficult, and it requires focus and dedication. If you were accepted to UCLA, it means that the admissions committee believes you are capable of the challenge. So take up the challenge and succeed.

I'm sure you'll run into competitive people in both schools, but I don't think there is a cultural rift between the two, where UCLA has a bunch of beaker-sabotaging Pre-Meds and UC Davis has a bunch of bicycle-riding hippies that all take tests cooperatively. Be sure of yourself and it won't matter how others react around you.

If you can succeed at UCLA, you'll open more doors for yourself than you can likely imagine.

EDIT: Are Nobel Laureates really going to give a damn about some lowly undergraduate?

Of course not. I didn't mean you were going to become buddy-buddy with a Laureate and he takes you out to lunch every week. But they're on campus, and it speaks to the incredibly innovative and cutting-edge environment that exists at UCLA. Just being around the aura is infectious.

researching with nobel laureates and innovators in every field you can imagine

This quote kind of made it seem like it. My apologies.

Have you had any difficulty in securing volunteering positions in the Ronald Reagan (Yikes) Medical Center or obtaining somewhat meaningful research positions?

I have friends at both, and have only heard excellent things about each. LA and Davis are two very different cities as are the campuses themselves .. While UCLA is ranked higher, both are excellent schools, and so it'll really come down to what school fits you best.

One thing to note, which might be relevant given that you are premed. The medical center at UCLA, in addition to be absolutely gorgeous, is right next to campus, and I have had a number of friends who volunteered there and had great experiences. The medical school/center for UC Davis is actually in Sacramento, 25-30 min by car, ~1 hr by the shuttle/bus .. not too bad, but just one more fyi for you to consider.

This quote kind of made it seem like it. My apologies.

Have you had any difficulty in securing volunteering positions in the Ronald Reagan (Yikes) Medical Center or obtaining somewhat meaningful research positions?

I volunteered for four years and and researched for three years.

It requires effort, no doubt - cold e-mailing professors, or connecting with a TA and professor from class as far as getting a research position. As a first-year undergraduate your research skills and abilities are incredibly limited, so you would need training, or more likely, would be put in a position to slowly "work your way up" to more responsibility in the lab.

As far as the hospital, there are hoops to jump through, but they are manageable - attend an orientation session, complete a background check, a TB skin-test, a completed vaccination sheet etc. I imagine these are entry-level requirements for any hospital volunteer.

EDIT: http://www.uclahealth.org/homepage_site.cfm?id=11

Members don't see this ad :)
Realistically I don't think anyone gives a damn if you want to UC x versus UC y. Davis weather is actually pretty awesome. Yes it gets blisteringly hot in the summer, but if you stand in the shade its great! Also Davis in the spring is really awesome! Biking about town in perfect sunny 70-80 weather. Little duckies running all around the campus.

I don't think anyone stands out at a UC. I think you will be sorely mistaken if you think coming to davis will mean easier classes. As for food, we have a few decent restaurants, 85% are some sort of asian.

It all comes down to whether you want to be in LA (which yes has a bigger prestige name, but no one will ask you where you went to undergrad once you have an MD) or in a chill city with a freaking awesome farmers market and baby ducks running around in the spring!

I love davis if you can't tell. Loved it enough to stay for 2 years after graduating undergrad and I don't regret 1 minute of staying. That said, Davis is not for everyone.

Hello all on SDN.

I'm an incoming freshman and I have been admitted into both UCLA and UCD as a biochemistry major. I plan to attend medical school after graduation (thus making me a premed);however, I am currently undecided as to where I should attend uni for undergrad. If any current or past UCD or UCLA students could give some advice that would be fantastic. I haven't visited either campuses yet, as I am still waiting to hear back from other schools, but there are some preliminary pros and cons that I worked out mentally (these could quite possibly be wrong. I don't know a lot about the schools).

UCLA Pros:
* More prestigious (does this really matter?)
* LA weather > Davis Weather
* Excellent medical center
* LA has much better ethnic food than Davis

UCLA Cons:
* From what I've heard, there are many premeds and all of the pre med reqs are extremely competitive and graded on a tough curve
* LA is 7 hours away from where I live
* Research opportunities will be harder to get (more competition)

UCD Pros:
* Slightly less competitive and it will be easier for me to "stand out" academically
* Research opportunities more available ( UCD has a bioinformatics undergrad research program called CLIMB that looks interesting and pays well)
* Not nearly as many premeds
* Small, college-town feel
* 1.5 hours away from both my mom and my dad's house. (This is a good thing)
* SF is not too far away (I like going to shows)

UCD Cons:
* Less prestigious
* cowtown? (just kidding)

I plan on working hard wherever I go, but I feel that I will able to see better results GPA-wise at UCD

Last edited:
Omg! This is a dream come true! Where is this place?

lol, there are like 4 sushi buffet places in town, plus a couple of good non-buffet japanese restaurants. That was my favorite thing about Davis too.

Realistically I don't think anyone gives a damn if you want to UC x versus UC y.
Spoken like a loyal Davis alum. UCD is not held in the same high esteem as Berkeley or UCLA. It's a good school but perhaps a notch lower. It's smaller and has few resources but also doesn't have some of the same size problems the other two do, which to some could be an advantage.

Davis weather is actually pretty awesome.
My experience is that people who have spent time in both places do not prefer the weather in Davis to the weather in Westwood.

Spoken like a loyal Davis alum. UCD is not held in the same high esteem as Berkeley or UCLA. It's a good school but perhaps a notch lower. It's smaller and has few resources but also doesn't have some of the same size problems the other two do, which to some could be an advantage.

My experience is that people who have spent time in both places do not prefer the weather in Davis to the weather in Westwood.

I didn't apply to either of the other two because I was not interested. But yes, it is lower prestige but name only goes so far. Honestly when was the last time you checked what undergrad a physician went to?

Weather is different. If you like semi-seasonal weather Davis reigns supreme. If you like boring same old weather everyday then Westwood wins.

And yes I am a proud Davis alum, our school is only getting better every year. And you are speaking like a true UCLA alum, so touché.

Either school will be awesome, I am just giving my opinion of Davis where I fell in love.

I live in Grass Valley and with this last week or so of rain/snow and another week of dreadful weather approaching, Westwood weather is sounding better and better every minute.

Obviously no one cares what undergraduate school your physician went to. What my concern is is that a medical admissions board would look more favorably towards a UCLA student rather than a UCD student.

Is there a 3rd option? Choosing to go to a UC as a premed is a bad decision IMO

I didn't apply to either of the other two because I was not interested. But yes, it is lower prestige but name only goes so far. Honestly when was the last time you checked what undergrad a physician went to?

Weather is different. If you like semi-seasonal weather Davis reigns supreme. If you like boring same old weather everyday then Westwood wins.

And yes I am a proud Davis alum, our school is only getting better every year. And you are speaking like a true UCLA alum, so touché.

I'm not a UCLA alum but I do have some familiarity with both places. Davis is for sure not for everybody, it's a bit of a cow town. SF is just far enough away to be inconvenient to go to very much.

It's hard to beat UC Santa Barbara for those looking for a good school in a more attractive setting than Davis, but it's one with NO access to a nearby med school.

I'm not a UCLA alum but I do have some familiarity with both places. Davis is for sure not for everybody, it's a bit of a cow town. SF is just far enough away to be inconvenient to go to very much.

It's hard to beat UC Santa Barbara for those looking for a good school in a more attractive setting than Davis, but it's one with NO access to a nearby med school.

:laugh: if you actualy think Davis is a cow town you can't be that familiar.

pollution... i was in LA for a couple days last year and my respiratory tract definitely suffered
prestige... cal and ucla are above ucd, but as far as how anyone will read into it they're pretty much on even ground. UCD also had a massive premed/prevet/prepharm community, someone said earlier that ucd has fewer premeds and that is just not true
then hospitals, davis has a hospital right near campus, and then hospitals in neighboring towns can be reached with a car. it's a 15-20 minute drive to vacaville, woodland, or sac, that's at least 5 hospitals right there

Is there a 3rd option? Choosing to go to a UC as a premed is a bad decision IMO

I applied to USC (pretty sure I'll get in), Pomona(hah), Dartmouth(hahaha), Stanford(hahahahahahaha) and JHU( in retrospect, a pretty terrible pre med school). I got accepted into UOP honors program but the schools in Stockon so yeah... not happening.

If I get into USC, would it be preferable to a UC for premed?

I applied to USC (pretty sure I'll get in), Pomona(hah), Dartmouth(hahaha), Stanford(hahahahahahaha) and JHU( in retrospect, a pretty terrible pre med school). I got accepted into UOP honors program but the schools in Stockon so yeah... not happening.

If I get into USC, would it be preferable to a UC for premed?
all depends on the money. 4 years at 20k a year is much easier than 4 years at 40-50k a year. As far as the quality of education you'll get just expect around even. USC also attracts a lot of people living off their parents who probably do not deserve to go there, but i guess that's true anywhere

all depends on the money. 4 years at 20k a year is much easier than 4 years at 40-50k a year. As far as the quality of education you'll get just expect around even. USC also attracts a lot of people living off their parents who probably do not deserve to go there, but i guess that's true anywhere

My mom is a lowly life science teacher so USC would probably be the same if not cheaper than a uc.

UCD also had a massive premed/prevet/prepharm community, someone said earlier that ucd has fewer premeds and that is just not true

+1 .

I had a few friends from each place (more that graduated from Davis) and I heard more complaints from the UCDers that although faculty were super qualified in their field, they were more interested in research than they were in undergrads. Something to maybe ask about now since my friends were undergrad a few years back. Seemed like they had a harder time trying to get to know their professors (for letters etc).

Also had an MCAT prep teacher for chem complain about the UCD undergrad chem department. He went to UCD med school but graduated from UC Berkeley for UG.

IMO LA would be funner but Davis confuses me because half the people I know say they partied ALL the time and the other half say it was the most boring 4 years ever!

Comes down to this: would you rather be a Bruin or an Aggie?

+1 .

I had a few friends from each place (more that graduated from Davis) and I heard more complaints from the UCDers that although faculty were super qualified in their field, they were more interested in research than they were in undergrads. Something to maybe ask about now since my friends were undergrad a few years back. Seemed like they had a harder time trying to get to know their professors (for letters etc).

Also had an MCAT prep teacher for chem complain about the UCD undergrad chem department. He went to UCD med school but graduated from UC Berkeley for UG.

IMO LA would be funner but Davis confuses me because half the people I know say they partied ALL the time and the other half say it was the most boring 4 years ever!

wow i meant has, not sure why i said had
since most of my classes are science nowadays it's of course skewed this way, but when i lived in the dorms maybe 5% of the people i talked to wanted to be vets. Premeds are even more than that, and then pharm comes from premeds who decide they don't wanna stick with it. I'd say probably 30% of the student body is prehealth.
I don't really know about professors, i've had a few bad ones (vector analysis and elementary statistics...) but other than that i haven't had any professors that qualify as bad. Even if i disagree with the teaching style, i can still learn well enough on my own for the most part.

I partied a lot. There is always a party happening within biking distance. The bars are fun IMO. If you want overpriced hills style douchery clubs you won't get that in Davis. You will simply get bars with 1 club style place. I never had problems meeting profs you just have to put your self out there. Ucla definitely beats Davis in sports though....I think people who found it boring eithe had ADHD or didn't really try to have fun. Davis is not LA or SF it is Davis, check it out. Stay a couple nights and figure out if you like it.

+1 .

IMO LA would be funner but Davis confuses me because half the people I know say they partied ALL the time and the other half say it was the most boring 4 years ever! They really are opposites, they each have pluses and minuses however you view it.

USC would probably be preferable for pre med in that you have smaller classes and less cutthroat competition. Plus, given the neighborhood, there is just a ridiculous amount of opportunity for community service. So if you're planning to volunteer in college, you will find a lot of fantastic opportunities at USC... opportunities that might be harder to come by in a nicer part of town or in a small place like Davis.

In terms of academics, I go to USC, and the curves are less ridiculous here than what I hear from my sister (who goes to Davis). I know she really struggled with the way organic chemistry was taught there (not sure if it was a bad prof, insane competition, or a combination of the two....)

BUT, Davis is an AWESOME college town. Beats the crap out of South Central for a college experience. Anyway, I don't think you should sacrifice your college experience/fit for "what's better for pre-med." There's not a lot to hate about Davis.... but there's plenty to hate about USC.

In terms of academics, I go to USC, and the curves are less ridiculous here than what I hear from my sister (who goes to Davis). I know she really struggled with the way organic chemistry was taught there (not sure if it was a bad prof, insane competition, or a combination of the two....)
there's the one ochem professor known for being bad here, but ochem is also our primary weeder course so it's certainly not easy in any case. Steep curves combined with a 'put you in your place' attitude it's just brutal at times. I heard multiple people in may lab saying how they'd never done so bad in a class before while still trying as hard as they were

During the first san jose asian escorts their god dess san jose asian escort of fruits and gardens.It was san jose escorts celebrated around the 1st of November and the Roman Pomona Day mixed becoming one san jose escort important autumn holiday.
while you make a good point i find i just have to disagree on principle. Sometimes just because something is a good idea doesn't mean you won't regret it, because there are plenty of other better ideas! Not just cost and reward, but opportunity cost must be taken into account

In my completely biased opinion, go to UCLA. You shouldn't be worried about competition too much on the undergrad level. If you can make it at one, you likely will do well at the other. If you are worried about performing at the undergrad level... you might have bigger problems when you apply to med school and actually matriculate.

IMO, UCLA offers a more traditional college experience with big time sports. I only say this cause I am obsessed with college football and basketball. The school spirit there is part of the reason why I had such a great time in college.

Also, my class has like 20 people from UCLA.... 1, maybe 2?, from Davis.

I am guessing we all made his choice harder by loving our Alma matar too much.

UCLA. I went to Davis. Don't go to Davis. GO TO LA. Competition shmompetition, both schools have it. GO TO LA.

I am guessing we all made his choice harder by loving our Alma matar too much.

I pretty much hate USC most of the time. OP, feel free to PM me if you have any questions about it. I might be a little biased though lol.

UCLA. I went to Davis. Don't go to Davis. GO TO LA. Competition shmompetition, both schools have it. GO TO LA.

Tell us how you really feel.

Edit: was it the cows?

I live in Grass Valley and with this last week or so of rain/snow and another week of dreadful weather approaching, Westwood weather is sounding better and better every minute.

Obviously no one cares what undergraduate school your physician went to. What my concern is is that a medical admissions board would look more favorably towards a UCLA student rather than a UCD student.

Davis is a great school (even though the name might not be heard as much as UCLA or Berkeley). The biggest differences are probably vibe and location..which is why I agree with another poster that you are mistaken if you think getting good grades will be any easier at UC Davis. The amount of pre-meds at each school is not drastically different..the difference is the general attitude. At Davis you're more likely to be in a supportive environment of pre-meds and the overall atmosphere is laid back (even though people study just as much as anywhere). Most importantly, I don't think medical admissions committees look more favorably on UCLA students (I'm a UCD 2010 alum...8 interviews and multiple acceptances). Wherever you feel you will be most comfortable is where you should go. Both are good schools. Also, the weather in Davis is great! It is more seasonal that LA which I like (and with much less smog).

Obviously biased opinion...just wanted to post so you know you can be a competitive applicant if you go to Davis.

Davis grad here. I loved every single day I spent at that school. To reply to some of the points raised by various posters, Yes, the (level 1 trauma center) UCDMC is in sacramento, but there are shuttle busses taking you there every single hour so it's no big deal. Also, OP, your assumption that UCD will be easier is definitely false, there are plenty of pre-meds at each school that will make both of the same difficulty.

The admissions people will just see UC XXXXX on your application, IMO. What will matter much, much more is your undergraduate GPA. Go to the city where you will feel more culturally acclimated. For me, Davis was incredible. I never locked my door the entire time I lived there. I rode my bicycle every day to class and sold my car after 1 year. There is a cafe called Mishka's that makes the best cappuccino's I've ever had. I chose Optical Engineering as my major and they have the best program in the nation with a cushy connection with LLNL.

Go with wherever you'll feel the best at. All you should be thinking about is GPA, GPA, GPA.....

Oh, one final plus to UC Davis for pre-meds is the Human Anatomy class. It's taught by the same guy who teaches the UCD Med School's anatomy class. They have hundreds of cadavers that you learn from, and the professor Dr. Gross, has won a bunch of awards for outstanding teaching.

Oh, another final note :) I would seriously also look at their evolution and ecology (EVE) major. If I were to do a second bachelors, that is what I would pick. They have this connection to the bodega bay marine lab and some outstanding teachers there too.

All the best!

IMO, UCLA offers a more traditional college experience with big time sports. I only say this cause I am obsessed with college football and basketball. The school spirit there is part of the reason why I had such a great time in college.

I do agree with the difference in sports quality. I once went to visit a friend and attended a UCD basketball game. OMG...pitiful.

I haven't been to any of the UCLA games but I hear the cheerleaders are better looking as well...

UCLA:
tumblr_lh5nkfEny81qd0r0qo1_500.jpg

UCD:
ugly_cheerleaders_23.jpg

Sorry to all my UCD friends for that :lame:

There is a cafe called Mishka's that makes the best cappuccino's I've ever had.

This is probably the best perk I've heard so far! I might actually drop by here and check it out.

Last edited:
In terms of environment, UCD is definitely a college town, which is supposedly rare now. It is a huge bicycling community and you can get around anywhere in town via a bicycle. There are a lot of outdoor venues available (Tahoe, Mt. Shasta, Pt. Reyes, Mt. Tam, Sac river, etc.), so you can try out snowsports, backpacking, rockclimbing, whitewater rafting, etc. Athletics is not as strong at Davis, but if you enjoy participating in sports then opportunities abound and there are plenty of green fields to practice. Davis is a really open town with a wonderful green belt.

The weather is a lot different and can have a few cold winter days (<40F) and hot summer days (>105F). At least 1 week per season these temperatures can be observed.

The nightlife is not as great as LA, as mentioned previously there are mainly bars and one "club" in town. You are ~1 h away from SF though where the nightlife is great.

Food-wise, Davis is quite diverse but is lacking in good Korean (3 locations), Chinese (several), and Vietnamese (2 locations) food. Don't expect any good pho here...drive to San Jose for excellent pho.

If you want more information about Davis you should check out: www.daviswiki.org

It is a community-run website entailing everything you need or want to know about Davis.

Go with your gut.

Davis forsure. I go to davis, competition is an adequate amount (enough for it to not be too easy, but not too much to make you wanna go crazy). UCLA is just the name, who cares really? I personally chose davis over berkeley, so the name is whatevs

Mishkas is awesome, but I prefer barista Brew cafe. I was the owners first of many loyal customers. He has my artwork displayed there and gives me a free drink every other time I come. Totally family run awesome cafe, I even play chess with his 7 year old daughter when I go. That's what I like about Davis. Everything is local and friendly. Not to mention Davis has best grocery store ever, Nugget markets.

Mishkas is awesome, but I prefer barista Brew cafe. I was the owners first of many loyal customers. He has my artwork displayed there and gives me a free drink every other time I come. Totally family run awesome cafe, I even play chess with his 7 year old daughter when I go. That's what I like about Davis. Everything is local and friendly. Not to mention Davis has best grocery store ever, Nugget markets.

This makes me assume you're loaded.

Also, if you want to really make a case for Davis I think someone should bring up Sam's.

This makes me assume you're loaded.

Also, if you want to really make a case for Davis I think someone should bring up Sam's.

A common misconception. Nugget market is not really any more expensive than any other grocery store. Now if you buy there specialty food that is another story, and it is oh so hard to resist. I have actually done comparisons, I know nerdy right? And no, I am not loaded, I will spend an extra 10 cents to shop in an amazing environment where the cashiers actually remember me and my name.

A common misconception. Nugget market is not really any more expensive than any other grocery store. Now if you buy there specialty food that is another story, and it is oh so hard to resist. I have actually done comparisons, I know nerdy right? And no, I am not loaded, I will spend an extra 10 cents to shop in an amazing environment where the cashiers actually remember me and my name.
The only good thing about the nugget are their sandwiches and baked goods. Everything else is overprice.

So much Davis love going on in here. I'm surprised I don't know any of you. Any cell bio majors in the house?

Last edited:
The only good thing about the nugget are their sandwiches and baked goods. Everything else is overprice.

So much Davis circlejerking going on in here. I'm surprised I don't know any of you. Any cell bio majors in the house?

I am glad I don't know you, frankly, you sound like a douche. And no, I work for he university now, so not a cell bio major. What's overpriced is paying the same price for stuff at a crappy crowded Safeway, but that's just my opinion.

Having the UCLA medical center next door to volunteer isn't a good enough reason to go there. Volunteer opportunities exist everywhere and volunteering at a specific place in hopes of getting into said place 99% of the time won't do you any good. Go to a place where your grades will be good and that won't be taxing because that's what's looked at first and foremost. A lot of people get blinded by all the frills and lose sight at what truly matters and what adcoms want. Research and volunteering is nice but you can do that anywhere.

I go to Davis and every year I love it more. The Pre-med network here is very useful, especially if you land a spot in one of the student-run clinics. While they are competitive to get in to, if you get in to one earlier on in your undergrad career you'll have hundreds of hours of hands-on clinical experience as well as the potential for leadership positions in a medical setting.

Over half of the students on campus have research positions; it's not too hard to find a lab to work in.

The food is great, Burgers and Brew has to be one of my favorite restaurants of all time. There are good taquerias too (Taqueria Davis, el guadalajara), and enough other varieties to keep you happy.

My favorite thing about Davis is that students are known for being friendly and helpful to one another; it's a really nice atmosphere on campus.

I've never been to UCLA, so I can't exactly say I'm unbiased.

Visit both, stay a night or two with some (non-premed) students and see which one feels right.

PLEASE go to the one that you think you will have the best undergrad experience at. These are 4 golden years of your life that you don't get back once they've passed. Don't pick the one that you think will make it easier for you to get into med school.

God, I'd give my left leg for another 4 years of college.

(P.S.: didn't mean any offense to all the one-legged SDNers)