UCLA vs. UC Davis for undergraduate studies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Guess I did come off as bit of a douche, but here are my words on UCD.

It was great. I really enjoyed my time there. I had wonderful friends and a great social experience. Classes were definitely difficult (hellllllo Ochem with a certain persian woman), but I'm sure you can expect the same anywhere you go.

The reason I said go to LA was because it was my dream school when applying. UCD was my second choice (over Berkeley, so I'm not choosing for name). The one thing that I remember about UCD after visiting was how alive everyone was. This instantly put Davis above Berkeley in my eyes. People were on their bikes, people were outside and walking around and they looked like they were very relaxed.

That's Davis--it's relaxed. LA offers the whole college package. Big university with sports and a long standing tradition of athletics. I missed that and would have liked that from my school. I am buying more UCD apparel though, might as well! Gotta represent.

Members don't see this ad.

And now I can retract my harsh statement. That's what I wanted to see, why you came off harsh on Davis. It is no for everyone, so I just wanted to hear why otherwise it doesn't really help the OP. I can only assume you mean Nasiri? She's not so bad...

Guess I did come off as bit of a douche, but here are my words on UCD.

It was great. I really enjoyed my time there. I had wonderful friends and a great social experience. Classes were definitely difficult (hellllllo Ochem with a certain persian woman), but I'm sure you can expect the same anywhere you go.

The reason I said go to LA was because it was my dream school when applying. UCD was my second choice (over Berkeley, so I'm not choosing for name). The one thing that I remember about UCD after visiting was how alive everyone was. This instantly put Davis above Berkeley in my eyes. People were on their bikes, people were outside and walking around and they looked like they were very relaxed.

That's Davis--it's relaxed. LA offers the whole college package. Big university with sports and a long standing tradition of athletics. I missed that and would have liked that from my school. I am buying more UCD apparel though, might as well! Gotta represent.

I can only speak of Davis as a freshman. Hopefully this will relate more to you since you will be a freshman next year. :)

Davis is simply awesome. I haven't been able to get a feel for all the opportunities Davis has to offer, but there seems to be a lot of opportunities out there. I know a friend right now who is doing immunology research at a med school extension. The vibe here at Davis is also pretty chill - lots of biking during the 70-80 degree weather, outdoor sports (basketball, softball, etc).

The pre-med population here doesn't seem too big. A lot of them are usually pre-vets and pre-pharms at least in my experience. However, that's not to say that the other pre-health majors are not competitive. Classes can get tough at times, but that is just the nature of the courses; competition, however, will likely be less brutal than LA.

I can't think of anything else, but if you have specific questions PM me

Members don't see this ad :)
And now I can retract my harsh statement. That's what I wanted to see, why you came off harsh on Davis. It is no for everyone, so I just wanted to hear why otherwise it doesn't really help the OP. I can only assume you mean Nasiri? She's not so bad...
Of course. Nasiri wasn't bad in the sense that I failed or anything, just the fact that test averages shouldn't be in the 30s. I think she prided herself on that.

I can only speak of Davis as a freshman. Hopefully this will relate more to you since you will be a freshman next year. :)

Davis is simply awesome. I haven't been able to get a feel for all the opportunities Davis has to offer, but there seems to be a lot of opportunities out there. I know a friend right now who is doing immunology research at a med school extension. The vibe here at Davis is also pretty chill - lots of biking during the 70-80 degree weather, outdoor sports (basketball, softball, etc).

The pre-med population here doesn't seem too big. A lot of them are usually pre-vets and pre-pharms at least in my experience. However, that's not to say that the other pre-health majors are not competitive. Classes can get tough at times, but that is just the nature of the courses; competition, however, will likely be less brutal than LA.

I can't think of anything else, but if you have specific questions PM me

http://www.woodstocksdavis.com/pie-woody

(Also, making new email addresses is a BAD BAD !! BAD!! thing ..... ;))

I went to both, Davis for 2 years and LA for 3 (where I graduated). To keep it short and simple, not a day goes by where I don't regret staying at Davis. That college and town is a magical place and only people who have actually gone there can really understand the beauty of it. I'll always be an aggie at heart.